Daouda Soumaoro - C - OSNA - Mali, Africa - TEXAS TECH

• 142 replies
Re: Daouda Soumaoro - C - OSNA - Mali, Africa
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2011, 07:45:03 PM »
Alex Kline reporting that he was on campus today visiting unofficially.

Which means he doesn't have an offer.

Technically an offer does not have to be included with an official or unofficial visit.  Obviously official visits tend to be given to only serious recruits thus they usually have a real offer with it.  But it is not required.  And he is located so close to SJU that it is a waste to burn an official on him even if you were serious with an offer.

But you are correct anyway, he has not been officially offered and I don't believe he will get one at this point.

STJ has never, prior to this this season, had a kid on campus for an official visit without an offer on the table.
I'll assume Lavin has continued that trend.
Next year will be interesting as they will have only one to give.

That maybe true I am not aware all I know is that an offer is not a prerequisite for an official visit.

Like I said it usually corresponds to one anyway.

BTW-Kline changed his tweet to an "official visit," I don't believe that is true.

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2011, 07:49:21 PM »

Technically an offer does not have to be included with an official or unofficial visit.  Obviously official visits tend to be given to only serious recruits thus they usually have a real offer with it.  But it is not required.  And he is located so close to SJU that it is a waste to burn an official on him even if you were serious with an offer.

But you are correct anyway, he has not been officially offered and I don't believe he will get one at this point.

STJ has never, prior to this this season, had a kid on campus for an official visit without an offer on the table.

That maybe true I am not aware all I know is that an offer is not a prerequisite for an official visit.

BTW-Kline changed his tweet to an "official visit," I don't believe that is true.

Wow, that would shock me.
Fire Mullin.

MCNPA

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2011, 07:57:14 PM »

Are we all sure that Pelle's academics are in order?  If they are not, Soumaoro might be around and a real option.  Don't want to speculate further, but hopefull everything is in order with all of our guys.

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2011, 08:15:13 PM »
No way he was on an official. I'll confirm soon.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2011, 08:16:44 PM »

Are we all sure that Pelle's academics are in order?  If they are not, Soumaoro might be around and a real option.  Don't want to speculate further, but hopefull everything is in order with all of our guys.

Honestly thats the only way I see this to be legitimate possibility as insurance. Not that I foresee anyone not qualifying but its not impossible either. This is great planning by the staff especially if he preps like I was under the impression based on conversations I had with coaches during the high school season.

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2011, 08:57:13 PM »

Honestly thats the only way I see this to be legitimate possibility as insurance. Not that I foresee anyone not qualifying but its not impossible either. This is great planning by the staff especially if he preps like I was under the impression based on conversations I had with coaches during the high school season.

Even if they were serious about this kid an official visit still does not make sense.  The kid lives right down the road, I mean what exactly are they paying for his LIRR ticket.

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2011, 08:58:50 PM »

Even if they were serious about this kid an official visit still does not make sense.  The kid lives right down the road, I mean what exactly are they paying for his LIRR ticket.

They could take him out to eat, hotel, etc. Still I doubt this happened.

Moose

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2011, 09:00:41 PM »
Aren't officials usually over a weekend as well?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2011, 09:10:49 PM »

They could take him out to eat, hotel, etc. Still I doubt this happened.

Technically yes, but for a local kid that is a stretch.  And a hotel???  He lives right down the road.  Highly doubt it.

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2011, 09:13:23 PM »

Not necessarily.  But they usually involve overnight stays etc. and from what I gather this was simply a day trip which leads me to believe it was an unofficial.  If someone has a twitter account maybe they can ask Alex if he is sure it was an official.

I am trying to find out myself.

Moose

« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2011, 09:27:27 PM »

Not necessarily.  But they usually involve overnight stays etc. and from what I gather this was simply a day trip which leads me to believe it was an unofficial.  If someone has a twitter account maybe they can ask Alex if he is sure it was an official.

I did already.  No response.

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2011, 10:53:43 PM »

I did already.  No response.

He doesn't respond he retweets  :2funny:

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2011, 11:01:37 PM »
I've just confirmed he is on an official visit.

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2011, 12:05:49 AM »
is it to show him some love just in case pelle grades dont stand up ? because they dont need to save any vist for this class. right ?

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2011, 12:12:05 AM »

I think you owe Alex an apology for your last remark. The young man does a great job of "relaying information" from the sources he has.

The kid has been written up in the Wall Street Journal, and featured on ABC news. His credentials are solid, for what he does.

Green is not your best shade Dave!

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2011, 01:01:50 AM »

I think you owe Alex an apology for your last remark. The young man does a great job of "relaying information" from the sources he has.

The kid has been written up in the Wall Street Journal, and featured on ABC news. His credentials are solid, for what he does.

Green is not your best shade Dave!

I'm friends with Alex. What would I apologize for? Lets not make this thread about AK...he has his own recruiting thread lol

MCNPA

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2011, 08:48:54 AM »
At this point it seems that Lavin has offered this kid and has always planned on using 10 ships this year, if he is on official visit.  A bit perplexing, not that we don't need the help in the post.  If we did land Soumaoro we'd have 10 coming in this season.  Not sure what we do for 2012 at that point, but I know Lavin will figure it out.

Moose

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2011, 08:55:49 AM »
Lavin is too smart to throw scholarships at anyone and endanger our standing in 2012 with Kyle and Rico.  He knows something.

kjd01067

« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2011, 08:57:16 AM »
At this point it seems that Lavin has offered this kid and has always planned on using 10 ships this year, if he is on official visit.  A bit perplexing, not that we don't need the help in the post.  If we did land Soumaoro we'd have 10 coming in this season.  Not sure what we do for 2012 at that point, but I know Lavin will figure it out.

This is a dilemma for me.  On the one hand I hate to bring a kid in for a year and then the next year tell him to hit the road because he isn't good enough and on the other hand I feel like there is no reason to leave a scholarship open. I trust Lavin will figure this out too.

Lavin is too smart to throw scholarships at anyone and endanger our standing in 2012 with Kyle and Rico.  He knows something.

Yea this worries me a bit Moose I really hope all our guys qualify.

MCNPA

« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2011, 09:16:03 AM »
For me, I'm not really as worried about 2012 as I am that we might have an issue with one of our guys like Pelle.  We can live without landing both Anderson and Gathers.  To tell the truth, I'd love to have another big center on the roster to develop.  If there is a casualty due to academics, I'd rather it be one of our wing players because we have a good number coming in.  Maybe there is no problem at all and Lavin just wants to use all available ships.  Lavin has always said that he was going to use 10 ships this season.  He has said it at almost every presser that he was asked about this recruiting class.  There is the distinct possibility that Lavin just wants to use 10 ships.  It seemed he wanted to do so even when Traylor and GG were both on the board.