Jaren Sina - PG - Gill St. Bernard's School - Gladstone, NJ - SETON HALL

• 280 replies
PMG -- have you heard anything re: the fact that he is wide open again has to do with the Hall telling him behind-the-scenes (or his general impression) that Carr's academics are as bad as everyone suggests, and that he is never making it to campus?

pmg911

Sorry for late reply...    I think most people anywhere near Carr know his academics are a disaster. As far as never making it to campus, I don't know that answer.

As for Jaren..   I have known his Father since I am a little kid, will leave it at that.

Love this kids game and watching him play.  Phenomenal playmaker. 
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Moose

Hey we agree :)
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

But  Sina has D3 level defensive ability! Ha!

Smart. Now we are in for 5 pages of beating a dead horse. :)

pmg911

I heard Sina is making a visit to SJU in the very near future

MCNPA

I heard Sina is making a visit to SJU in the very near future

Good to hear.  Another kid I'd love to have here.

gman

Peeked at the thread on him on rm.com.  I forgot his had has connections to Chiles.  Can't hurt.

LJSA

Great offense + D3-level defense = somebody like Luke Ridnour.

I'd sign up for that in a heartbeat. I'll let the the pros worry about his defense.

desco80

Great offense + D3-level defense = somebody like Luke Ridnour.

I'd sign up for that in a heartbeat. I'll let the the pros worry about his defense.

This is an over-generalization, but right now we have a team of great defenders with limited offensive games,   Wouldnt hurt to have somebody like Sina.   

MCNPA

Sina woud be a great fit because he projects as a PG and we probably will need another PG to step in behind Branch and take the role after Branch leaves.

How many ships do we have for this years class????

He isn't known for his defense but this is an exaggeration.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

desco80

How many ships do we have for this years class????

It''s not clear Maverick.   As of now we would have 2 available for next season, 1 leftover from this year and 1 opens up when Gift graduates.
But, that doesn't count Darrick Wood, who may be apart of this year's class; or could prep and join the team next year.   
Plus, there's an outside chance Mike Chandler becomes eligible and signs within the next month. 

But, it sounds like we would have either 1 or 2 scholarships.   More if D'angelo or Jakarr were to go pro... as unlikely as that might be, it's a possibility. 
Then again, with transfers and eligibility issues these days, who really knows. 

NYCoffey

Jaren Sina, a 6-foot-1 sharpshooting point guard from Gil St. Bernard’s in New Jersey was a one-time commitment to Alabama. Now his recruitment seems to be more concentrated closer to home, specifically among Big East schools.

“Obviously Alabama is still in the mix,” he told NBE Sports on Friday. “We have Virginia, we have a couple Big East schools that are pretty heavy. I mean Rutgers, Seton Hall, Pittsburgh, [then there’s] Northwestern and some Big Ten schools. Just a lot of Big East/ACC schools.”

His high school coach, and father, Mergin Sina is counseling him through the recruiting process. They plan to cut the list of schools down after the busy July period. Sina did hint that staying in the Northeast is a strong possibility.

“There’s a pretty good chance I stay in the area with Pittsburgh, Rutgers, and Seton Hall,” he said, adding that Northwestern and Virginia were also recruiting him pretty hard, which in the end will make them intriguing options too.

The changes in the Big East is something Sina is watching closely, but he knows the conference will still be a top-notch destination for basketball.

“It’s still going to be a great conference no matter what,” said Sina.

http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2012-0616/nbpa-top-100-high-school-basketball-camp-recruiting-notebook-sina-lawrence-mudiay-more/

no mention of st. john's?

NYCoffey

I know. Supposedly he's visiting soon. You would figure he would mention us.

paultzman

He isn't known for his defense but this is an exaggeration.

Was intended to be.  Simply mocking previous harangues about Chris Obekpa's offensive deficits. Thus, the "ha" noted in my post.

He may or may not be visiting but either way I don't think he is the guy Kline was talking about.

FWIW I heard Pitt really impressed him.