Joe Uchebo - C - Chipola JC - Raleigh, NC - PITTSBURGH

• 116 replies

desco80

Re: Joe Uchebo - C - Chipola JC(FL)
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2013, 10:30:34 AM »
Other than a tweet by some "recruiting guru" do we know for a fact we're recruiting this guy?

And if we are even involved, then to what extent? 

If we are involved, I dont think this has to with GG leaving.  This kid's availability for the 2013-2014 season has been known since before Lavin decided to redshirt GG. 

I would be disappointed if we lost a fifth-year senior like GG.  He knows the system, he's logged major minutes playing with the roster, and he runs the court exceptionally well. 
i agree.  i'm looking for god's gift to have a breakout year.  no transfers, please!!

Are you looking in Cambridge, MA ? 

Marillac

« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2013, 12:45:12 PM »
Other than a tweet by some "recruiting guru" do we know for a fact we're recruiting this guy?

If we are involved, I dont think this has to with GG leaving.  This kid's availability for the 2013-2014 season has been known since before Lavin decided to redshirt GG. 

I would be disappointed if we lost a fifth-year senior like GG.  He knows the system, he's logged major minutes playing with the roster, and he runs the court exceptionally well. 
i agree.  i'm looking for god's gift to have a breakout year.  no transfers, please!!

I didnt' say break out!  I would love 10-12 solid minutes out of him. 

sju89tr

« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2013, 01:26:07 PM »
Heard from Brad Winton, JUCO recruiting guru,that to his knowledge, SJU not recruiting Uchebo.

We weren't interested the first time around in the 2011 class when he failed to qualify, I don't think the staff's perception of him will change

« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2013, 09:15:57 AM »

god's gift is a big...built like a greek god...great potential skill sets...highly intelligent...getting an extra year of coaching by professionals...motivated. 

why wouldn't he have a breakout year?

MCNPA

« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2013, 09:23:41 AM »
I really like Gift.  Thesis a kid who had 18/10 against an excellent UK team.  He was thhe only one working out there at times.  He was also a very good offensive rebounder.  I hope he sticks around this year.  We absolutely can use him in the post this season.  Uchebo looks like a good alternative IF we were to lose a gift, but I'd rather keep Gift at this point.  I think some are selling him short.  He had things to work on, but was very solid as a first year Juco and has nice physical tools.

crgreen

« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2013, 12:48:28 PM »
I really like Gift.  Thesis a kid who had 18/10 against an excellent UK team.  He was thhe only one working out there at times.  He was also a very good offensive rebounder.  I hope he sticks around this year.  We absolutely can use him in the post this season.  Uchebo looks like a good alternative IF we were to lose a gift, but I'd rather keep Gift at this point.  I think some are selling him short.  He had things to work on, but was very solid as a first year Juco and has nice physical tools.

I really don't get the negativity torwards Gift.  Correct that - "negativity" isn't the right word....maybe "apathy"?

Bigs capable of averaging 10 pts and 6 rebs a game in the Big East, no matter what the circumstances, simply don't grow on trees.   Nor do bigs who can hang 18/10 on Kentucky, 20/7 on Marquette,  rip Pitt for 12 boards.   You'd be staggered to find out how FEW D-1 bigs actually can  score 15 or more 9 times in a season or pull down 8 or more boards 10 times in a season, as Gift did in his first year of D-1 play.   And his 53% FG % would have EASILY led ST Johns this past season - just as it easily did in 2012.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 12:50:10 PM by crgreen »

« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2013, 01:03:32 PM »
One of our biggest deficiencies over the past two years has been our youth and lack of an overall experienced roster. Gift not only brings depth off the bench experience and overall great kid. He is a banger down low and he won't be called on as much to score on his own like he had to his first yr.  he played a ton of minutes in his first yr at a position where he really was the only big.  With 2 yrs under his belt and more overall talent around him, his numbers might be less but could prove more valuable in how he gets them next yr.  lavin has always said he wanted to make the big jump in yr 3 and to bring in a new kid who has not played at this level yet to do something we already have for this coming yr goes against his strategy.

We always want the best talent to give us the best opp to win but sometimes experience goes a long way for a program, especially in this situation.

Poison

« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2013, 01:03:40 PM »

I really don't get the negativity torwards Gift.  Correct that - "negativity" isn't the right word....maybe "apathy"?

Bigs capable of averaging 10 pts and 6 rebs a game in the Big East, no matter what the circumstances, simply don't grow on trees.   Nor do bigs who can hang 18/10 on Kentucky, 20/7 on Marquette,  rip Pitt for 12 boards.   You'd be staggered to find out how FEW D-1 bigs actually can  score 15 or more 9 times in a season or pull down 8 or more boards 10 times in a season, as Gift did in his first year of D-1 play.   And his 53% FG % would have EASILY led ST Johns this past season - just as it easily did in 2012.

It's very shortsighted for anyone to want him to move on. He's been w the program for 2 years now, and he's had plenty of time to work on his weaknesses. IMO his reaction time is his greatest weakness. He can improve, and I fully expect him to be better in 13-14.

ras

« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2013, 01:10:14 PM »
Like I said I like Gift, But would rather have Uchebo for the simple fact that I would feel more comfortable having another quality big for 14 . We are probably going to loose Sampson and definately will loose Gift and Sanchez after 13 that is a position we will need to reload. And  6 11 centers are hard to come by. Furthermore, Gift hasnt demonstrated he is more than a bench player. IMO Uchebo has more upside. I dont think that is a knock on Gift. I would have loved to see him play this year and have another scholi to use for reloading. That said, I would be happy if he stays.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 01:14:26 PM by ras »

crgreen

« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2013, 01:14:32 PM »
Like I said I like Gift, But would rather have Uchebo for the simle fact that I would feel more comfortable having another quality big for 14 . We are probably going to loose Samoson and definately will loose Gift and Sanchez after 13 that is a position we will need to reload. And  6 11 centers are hard to come by. Furthermore, Gift hasnt demonstrated he is more than a bench player. IMO Uchebo has more upside.

It does get confusing,  but 2013 is over.  The coming season is 2014.  So you're talking about the 2015 season.  And on that basis, yes - we definately need bigs for THAT season.  But I'm assuming Coach Lavin has some far better than Uchebo already targeted, given the year and a half lead time.  :)

Marillac

« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2013, 01:15:25 PM »

god's gift is a big...built like a greek god...great potential skill sets...highly intelligent...getting an extra year of coaching by professionals...motivated. 

why wouldn't he have a breakout year?

He has, at best, average hands, and he doesn't have a ton of skill.  There are some holes in his game that I don't think a player like Sanchez has.  Of course, an extra year in college can go a long way, but you can only get so much better. 

He's a big body, he can play the five for us, he can provide some offense in the post, and he runs the court exceptionally well.  Best of all, he knows this sytem inside and out.  10-12 minutes and more when he's on...would be awesome. 
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 01:17:00 PM by Marillac »

Poison

« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2013, 01:15:55 PM »
Like I said I like Gift, But would rather have Uchebo for the simple fact that I would feel more comfortable having another quality big for 14 . We are probably going to loose Sampson and definately will loose Gift and Sanchez after 13 that is a position we will need to reload. And  6 11 centers are hard to come by. Furthermore, Gift hasnt demonstrated he is more than a bench player. IMO Uchebo has more upside. I dont think that is a knock on Gift. I would have loved to see him play this year and have another scholi to use for reloading. That said, I would be happy if he stays.

After one season Pointer didn't demonstrate that he was more than a bench player. He improved.

« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2013, 03:15:04 PM »

Cr, you're ignoring the 6 or 7 times he bobbled the entry pass and those rebounds that he should have gotten but failed to.  He easily should have averaged 14 and 8---then he would have had half the detractors that he does. 

WE ARE...ST. JOHN'S!  We hate our own.

jayro

« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2013, 03:50:16 PM »
I like Gift and thought he did well given he averaged points and rebounds that would have made a difference this past year and he would have been a physical presence we lacked.  Did he have weaknesses-don't ALL the players on the team have some.
He brings maturity, and I applaud his dedication to the academic side of school.  To me his is a feel good story for SJU, and I think Sanchez is also a feel good story-good player-excellent student-did what he had to do and kept his priorities in line. I will be disappointed if Gift does not play this coming season, and I think the team will be better with him for several reasons.

paultzman

« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2013, 03:03:02 PM »
Likely destination. He would join former teammate there;
“@JucoRecruiting: Pitt officially offered Joseph Uchebo (6-11/C/2013) of Chipola College while he was on his visit this weekend”

crgreen

« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2013, 06:59:44 PM »
“@JucoRecruiting: Pitt officially offered Joseph Uchebo (6-11/C/2013) of Chipola College while he was on his visit this weekend”

Jamie scrambling to replace Adams?  Right now returning Sr. Talib Zana and incoming frosh Mike young are the only players over 6'7 on next years roster.  Talib at 6 rebs is the only returnee over 4 per game.  And Talib & Young play the same position.   It really looks like the Pitt staff was taken by surprise at Adams decision to leave early.

MCNPA

« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2013, 07:12:49 PM »

Jamie scrambling to replace Adams?  Right now returning Sr. Talib Zana and incoming frosh Mike young are the only players over 6'7 on next years roster.  Talib at 6 rebs is the only returnee over 4 per game.  And Talib & Young play the same position.   It really looks like the Pitt staff was taken by surprise at Adams decision to leave early.

Very odd they'd be surprised.  The kid is a tremendous specimen at his size.  He's top 10 draftable easily with his physical size, athleticism and potential.

crgreen

« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2013, 07:30:08 PM »

Very odd they'd be surprised.  The kid is a tremendous specimen at his size.  He's top 10 draftable easily with his physical size, athleticism and potential.

Maybe it's Jamie's mentorship from Howland.  Ben was equally shocked by the "should have been predictable" decision of Jrue Holiday to leave after one season. It set the Bruins back 2 full years.  Like Jamie's doing now, Howland had to reach out to a JC kid (Lazeric Jones) to man the position as starting PG for 2 years.   Because he thought he had Holiday back for 2010, UCLA failed to heavily recruit local (well, west coast) PGs  Elijah Johnson, Abdul Gaddy and Peyton Siva in the 2009 recruiting class.

« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2013, 09:46:40 AM »
Reggie Rankin, ESPN, reporting he is considering Pitt, SJU and Oklahoma. 

paultzman

« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2013, 09:57:50 AM »
Reggie Rankin, ESPN, reporting he is considering Pitt, SJU and Oklahoma. 

Imo, because of his relationship with Josh Newkirk, Pitt recruit, he chooses Panthers.