Ishmail Wainwright - SF - Raytown South - Raytown, MO - BAYLOR

• 263 replies
Re: Ishmail Wainwright - SF - Raytown South - Raytown, MO
« Reply #200 on: September 28, 2012, 11:34:26 PM »
Again, he's maybe the most hated coach out there that really never did anything wrong nor failed at his task.  Dozens of other fan bases think Lavin can't coach either thanks to the UCLA fans.  Truth is that it spread like wildfire back then.  I think that even I believed it.  I just finally realized that the numbers don't jive when true to label m a horrible coach and failure.

This SJU job is the time for him to shine though.  I'm not saying he's the next Izzo when drawing up plays, but I don't think there are many coaches out there who have his recruiting prowess, charisma and understanding of how to GM a program.  He surrounds himself with great people because he knows they can help springboard him to the next level.

SJU a great job for him.  Good tradition, fan base, and a program desperate to get back to the upper tier in one of the most amazing cities in the world.  I will continue to thank UCLA fans for running him out of town, as we continue to rack up top 20-70 recruits and building a powerhouse.
Every day I thank the basketball gods more for Lavin because I truly believe this is the perfect situation for him and he's the perfect coach for us

sju89tr

« Reply #201 on: October 01, 2012, 11:19:55 AM »
Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria
#Stjbb coach Steve Lavin will meet today in Kansas City with Ish Wainright's parents, and will also watch his younger brother work out.
Expand   Reply  Retweeted  Favorite

Got to be a solid vibe from Ish to get Lavin to travel to KC to meet with his parents.

Moose

« Reply #202 on: October 01, 2012, 11:20:17 AM »
#Stjbb coach Steve Lavin will meet today in Kansas City with Ish Wainright's parents, and will also watch his younger brother work out.

Got to be a solid vibe from Ish to get Lavin to travel to KC to meet with his parents.

Another package deal?
Remember who broke the Slice news

sju89tr

« Reply #203 on: October 01, 2012, 11:21:37 AM »

Another package deal?

The brother is ion 6th grade.....JK LOL

« Reply #204 on: October 01, 2012, 11:31:59 AM »

I'm Going to Kansas City, Kansas City Here I Come...

Poison

« Reply #205 on: October 01, 2012, 11:34:20 AM »

Just a thought.

Imagine you have a 17 year old son, and you meet Steve Lavin. One of the classiest most personable people in the game.
Next you meet Jim Boeheim. As a parent wouldn't you be concerned about what kind of environment you're putting your kid in?

Chilleb

« Reply #206 on: October 01, 2012, 03:32:22 PM »
What's your guys take on ish compared to the wings we have already in Dom and amir. Is this a great addition down the road or is someone being recruited over?

MCNPA

« Reply #207 on: October 01, 2012, 03:52:25 PM »
What's your guys take on ish compared to the wings we have already in Dom and amir. Is this a great addition down the road or is someone being recruited over?

Hard to say.  I can't say I'm privy to any of the stuff behind the scenese, but Ishmail is 2 classes away from both Amir and Dom.  I'm not sure "recruiting over" is exactly correct, but I'm sure that Lavin has a finger on the pulse of his team.  Reloading on talent is something all the best teams do.  Maybe he's looking at Ismail to potentially replace Samspon/Sanchez as well if he sees both being likely NBA players the next 2 years?  Hard to say what the plan is, but I can't argue with bringing in kids the talent level of Wainright.  Lavin getting it done in a serous way.

That said, meeting with Wainright's parents now seems to me a sign that we are very, very close.  Maybe a verbal coming soon?  We'll see...

« Reply #208 on: October 01, 2012, 04:02:26 PM »

I think he is slightly less athletic than those two but is much more fundamentally sound. Hes strong around the basket and is smart with the ball. I really like his game but whether or not he is of a high need is a good question.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

paultzman

« Reply #209 on: October 01, 2012, 04:05:21 PM »

I think he is slightly less athletic than those two but is much more fundamentally sound. Hes strong around the basket and is smart with the ball. I really like his game but whether or not he is of a high need is a good question.

Well stated!

« Reply #210 on: October 01, 2012, 04:22:00 PM »

i feel like amir is a decent bet to leave early (maybe even after this year).  at some point, the reds will want him for a full year.  if amir and sanchez or jakarr leave after this year, we have plenty of room for wainright and pointer.

« Reply #211 on: October 01, 2012, 04:30:39 PM »
crud, pitino and louisville seem to have room for 23 players every year.  keep recruiting elie players and somewhere the numbers will work out.

MCNPA

« Reply #212 on: October 01, 2012, 04:56:59 PM »
There is always need for versatile too 25-40 players.  He's a versatile basketball player in every way, and super long.  Fantastic defender.  I'd never turn away a kid like this if we can land him.  We will have turnover, both to graduation, pros and maybe even a kid or two leave.  Lavin has shown the ability to integrate lots of players well and keep most happy.  Syracuse, Louisville and others are able to do the same.  I think he should fit in perfectly.  We should all welcome him with open arms because I think he's headed here.  Great player and another kid who can lead us to the top of college ball.

« Reply #213 on: October 01, 2012, 05:08:13 PM »

Oh this train is coming up, and it's Kansas City bound!
Get on board, hallelujah, no more need to run around.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

MCNPA

« Reply #214 on: October 01, 2012, 05:32:16 PM »
Zags saying he's taking an official to Ohio State this weekend.  Hopefully he cancels and doesn't waste Matta's time... ;)

crgreen

« Reply #215 on: October 01, 2012, 05:57:18 PM »

i feel like amir is a decent bet to leave early (maybe even after this year).  at some point, the reds will want him for a full year.  if amir and sanchez or jakarr leave after this year, we have plenty of room for wainright and pointer.

And remember the DOWNSIDE to no room for a freshman Wainright would be a Senior Sanchez, a Junior Amir, AND a sophomore Jakarr for the 2013-2014 season.   

LJSA

« Reply #216 on: October 01, 2012, 07:19:21 PM »

And remember the DOWNSIDE to no room for a freshman Wainright would be a Senior Sanchez, a Junior Amir, AND a sophomore Jakarr for the 2013-2014 season.   

He's about 6'7" 230, right? I think he plays PF his first year, so no one is getting recruited over.

LJSA

« Reply #217 on: October 01, 2012, 07:24:43 PM »

Just a thought.

Imagine you have a 17 year old son, and you meet Steve Lavin. One of the classiest most personable people in the game.
Next you meet Jim Boeheim. As a parent wouldn't you be concerned about what kind of environment you're putting your kid in?

How's Thad with parents? I think I've heard him actually say some funny stuff (at the very least I've read interesting quips), but not sure what his personality actually is. He definitely looks meaner than Lavin.

« Reply #218 on: October 01, 2012, 07:33:45 PM »
I think BeeJay Anya is also visiting OSU this weekend.

« Reply #219 on: October 01, 2012, 08:00:22 PM »
Zags saying he's taking an official to Ohio State this weekend.  Hopefully he cancels and doesn't waste Matta's time... ;)

I hear he is headed to OSU this weekend and then possibly SJU the following weekend/Midnight Madness.

Ohio St/Nebraska football game in Columbus this weekend.  Big recruiting weekend.