Ishmail Wainwright - SF - Raytown South - Raytown, MO - BAYLOR

• 263 replies

Moose

Re: Ishmail Wainwright - SF - Raytown South - Raytown, MO
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2011, 08:08:50 PM »
Per Alex Kline twitter Ishmail wainwright said that St john's and ucla are recruiting him the hardest.

I was just about to post it, as well.  Interesting....  It feels good to be in conversation and knowingly, can grab highly rated kids.
We're finalists for just about everybody we set in our sights. I am in awe.

Told ya :)
Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2011, 08:14:02 PM »
Per Alex Kline twitter Ishmail wainwright said that St john's and ucla are recruiting him the hardest.

I was just about to post it, as well.  Interesting....  It feels good to be in conversation and knowingly, can grab highly rated kids.
We're finalists for just about everybody we set in our sights. I am in awe.

Told ya :)

I'm happy to admit it. :up:

Marillac

« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2011, 09:39:39 PM »

Lavin is building UCLA-EAST.  We're more than in the conversation and we're not just making lists.  We're finalists for just about everybody we set in our sights. I am in awe.

We'll be doubling UCLA's attendance in three years :)

The funny thing Marillac, is that our attendance is limited a little bit by our small on campus arena, but certainly our numbers at msg can improve by a ton, and I'm positive they will...

I know...I hate that our arena holds so few.  I think we are going to be seeing more Garden games as we are now a high profile brand (awesome).  I think we have the people on board to have a few creative Garden double-headers to draw more fans.  STJ-Fordham and Iona-Manhattan could get 10,000-12,000 to the Garden I'd think.  Wagner is up-and-coming as well and could help draw with the Hurleys.

MCNPA

« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2011, 09:47:25 PM »

Lavin is building UCLA-EAST.  We're more than in the conversation and we're not just making lists.  We're finalists for just about everybody we set in our sights. I am in awe.

The funny thing Marillac, is that our attendance is limited a little bit by our small on campus arena, but certainly our numbers at msg can improve by a ton, and I'm positive they will...

I know...I hate that our arena holds so few.  I think we are going to be seeing more Garden games as we are now a high profile brand (awesome).  I think we have the people on board to have a few creative Garden double-headers to draw more fans.  STJ-Fordham and Iona-Manhattan could get 10,000-12,000 to the Garden I'd think.  Wagner is up-and-coming as well and could help draw with the Hurleys.

Eff that.  I agree with more Garden games, but make em big OOC games, not Wagner, Iona etc.  Sorry, but those guys should never share MSG with us.  No need.   We can get just about any high profile OOC team we want to come play at MSG.  Everybody is dying to play there.  Need to use it to our advantage.  Duke draws amazingly well.  Since we're playing in the Big East-SEC this season, maybe we invite UK next time around.. They'll travel for sure.  If we are going to invite OOC games to MSG on our home slate, they should be games that provide us a strategic advantage.

Marillac

« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2011, 04:38:57 AM »

Eff that.  I agree with more Garden games, but make em big OOC games, not Wagner, Iona etc.  Sorry, but those guys should never share MSG with us.  No need.   We can get just about any high profile OOC team we want to come play at MSG.  Everybody is dying to play there.  Need to use it to our advantage.  Duke draws amazingly well.  Since we're playing in the Big East-SEC this season, maybe we invite UK next time around.. They'll travel for sure.  If we are going to invite OOC games to MSG on our home slate, they should be games that provide us a strategic advantage.

I hear what you're saying, but we still need some cupcakes.  I don't see a problem with two Garden double-headers with the locals.   The good locals average about 2,000 fans per game.  You'd have to imagine that anything involving St. John's (forget a ranked St. John's team) would add a thousand to that figure.  We could be looking at 9,000 fans from the other schools to add to our figure.

FWIW, I think we'd spank UK next year after it has a mass exodus.  That would be a sellout for sure...they travel well. 

I'd love to see us bring in a few of the kings of college basketball on an annual basis:  UCLA, UNC, UK, Kansas, etc.  As we start to draw more, we will have more leverage with the Garden to limit how many other college teams they invite.  I think UCLA-St. John's should be an annual rivalry.  It makes so much sense:  NY v. LA, East v. West, Big East v. Pac-10, two of the most storied programs in the history of college basketball, Lavin....

MCNPA

« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2011, 08:09:51 AM »

I hear what you're saying, but we still need some cupcakes.  I don't see a problem with two Garden double-headers with the locals.   The good locals average about 2,000 fans per game.  You'd have to imagine that anything involving St. John's (forget a ranked St. John's team) would add a thousand to that figure.  We could be looking at 9,000 fans from the other schools to add to our figure.

FWIW, I think we'd spank UK next year after it has a mass exodus.  That would be a sellout for sure...they travel well. 

I'd love to see us bring in a few of the kings of college basketball on an annual basis:  UCLA, UNC, UK, Kansas, etc.  As we start to draw more, we will have more leverage with the Garden to limit how many other college teams they invite.  I think UCLA-St. John's should be an annual rivalry.  It makes so much sense:  NY v. LA, East v. West, Big East v. Pac-10, two of the most storied programs in the history of college basketball, Lavin....

Agree with all.  Just don't want to start pushing the locals at the Garden.   I think the locals should be brought in to fill up games at Carnesecca.  We can sell out those games with the locals.  Perfect opportunity, but not MSG.

crgreen

« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2011, 06:26:10 PM »
Back to discussing Ish Wainright....

Thanks to Scout Bruin Poster PHS1 for this info: 

Ishmail Wainright is being watched by Coach Howland this afternoon while his KC 76ers pound the Dallas Showtyme Elite for the Best of Summer championship in Anaheim. Lavin is also there, as UCLA and St. John's were the first two schools to offer Wainright, who previously rescinded a commitment to Missouri - the closest program to his home (and Kansas isn't too much further away).  At least for now, Wainright is at the top of the 2013 UCLA priority list. His KC 76ers squad has now won the Fab 48 and Best of Summer titles back-to-back, and Wainright opened a lot of eyes in severely bothering fellow elite class of 2013 wing Jabari Parker with is defense in their match-up last week in Las Vegas.

As an aside, former Bruin Earl Watson is an alumnus of the KC 76ers AAU program

I'd remind everyone  here that Earl Watson is spending this summer/fall during the lockout working with Steve Lavin at St. Johns.
(My inference from that is that there's  a good chance Earl could someday be a St. John's staffer - his on court career is really winding down - perhaps even before Ish Wainright steps on a college campus as a frosh for the 2014 hoops season.....)

MCNPA

« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2011, 07:03:01 PM »

Ishmail Wainright is being watched by Coach Howland this afternoon while his KC 76ers pound the Dallas Showtyme Elite for the Best of Summer championship in Anaheim. Lavin is also there, as UCLA and St. John's were the first two schools to offer Wainright, who previously rescinded a commitment to Missouri - the closest program to his home (and Kansas isn't too much further away).  At least for now, Wainright is at the top of the 2013 UCLA priority list. His KC 76ers squad has now won the Fab 48 and Best of Summer titles back-to-back, and Wainright opened a lot of eyes in severely bothering fellow elite class of 2013 wing Jabari Parker with is defense in their match-up last week in Las Vegas.

I'd remind everyone  here that Earl Watson is spending this summer/fall during the lockout working with Steve Lavin at St. Johns.
(My inference from that is that there's  a good chance Earl could someday be a St. John's staffer - his on court career is really winding down - perhaps even before Ish Wainright steps on a college campus as a frosh for the 2014 hoops season.....)

I suspect you are correct with that.  If somebody were to move on from the staff, I could certainly see Watson comin on board.  No doubt Watson coming to work with Lavin this summer is part of that process.  Was the first thing I thought of when I heard Watson was headed this way.  Think he'd be a great addition to the staff to tell the truth.  NBA veteran PG and former Lavin player.

« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2011, 06:03:01 AM »

I suspect you are correct with that.  If somebody were to move on from the staff, I could certainly see Watson comin on board.  No doubt Watson coming to work with Lavin this summer is part of that process.  Was the first thing I thought of when I heard Watson was headed this way.  Think he'd be a great addition to the staff to tell the truth.  NBA veteran PG and former Lavin player.

Could not agree more, Earl has serious presence and every kid today wants to play for a staff with NBA experience.

« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2011, 12:25:00 PM »
Per ESPN Recruiting....  Wainright was considered to be one of the "standout players" at the Double Pump.

Ishmail Wainright (Raytown, Mo./Raytown South)
2013, WF, 6-5, 215 pounds
He is one of the better all-around defenders in his class. Wainright led his team (KC 76ers) to the tournament championship by affecting the outcome of each and every game in multiple ways. The chiseled, long-armed wing is a lockdown defender at all three levels. He is an excellent on-ball defender where he utilizes his length and quick hands to disrupt his opponent. In addition, he has the ability to pick apart the defense with his precision passing and slashing drives. As of right now, it appears this will be a battle between UCLA and St. John's for his services.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/basketball/mens/story/_/id/6823899/double-pump-best-summer-recap

« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2011, 01:06:47 PM »
Im growing more and more confident abou wainright. Im interested to see where he is on he class rankings after the summer
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2011, 03:10:43 PM »
Per Rivals....

3. Wainright plays a balanced, controlled game

Ishmail Wainright didn't have the sophomore season that many were expecting of him at Raytown (Mo.) South. He would probably be the first to tell you that. At times during the spring and early summer, the 6-foot-5 four-star wing from the class of 2013 was also a bit quiet. However, that all changed during the second half of July as he led his KC 76ers team to titles at the Fab 48 - where he was named MVP - and then capped it with a win at the Best of the Summer.

With his long arms, strong frame and athleticism, Wainright immediately jumps out as a physically impressive player. Because of that, people sometimes expect that he'll be dominant every second of the game and put up huge numbers offensive numbers. While Wainright can score - he's best in transition, off the dribble, as a slasher and cleaning up other people's misses - expecting him to be a scorer is missing what it was that made him so successful in Anaheim.

When Wainright has had it rolling as he did over the last 10 days of July, he's best as an all-around player and facilitator. He will defend the other team's best player inside or out, rebounds the ball, gets out in transition, passes the ball exceptionally well and has started to knock down the open shot.

In other words, he's a guy who does a little bit of everything and provides leadership for his team. Most importantly, he also seems to have developed a good feel for when it's time for him to take over - as he did in Las Vegas against 2013 five-star Jabari Parker - and when it's time for him to play setup man. It's that all-around play and leadership he demonstrated that has his stock on the rise.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1246608

« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2011, 03:49:19 PM »
Ish headed to Montrose Christian in Maryland for his junior year.

Moose

« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2011, 03:54:52 PM »

Right in Rico's wheelhouse.

MCNPA

« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2011, 05:54:37 PM »

More than that, he played for Stu Vetter.  Hmm.  Rico played for Vetter where Wainright is going to play, and also for Earl Watson's AAU program.  I also have a good feeling about this kid.  I watched some more of him, and with his long arms, defensively he reminds me a little bit of Artest actually. 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 05:55:20 PM by MCNPA »

Marillac

« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2011, 01:40:18 PM »

More than that, he played for Stu Vetter.  Hmm.  Rico played for Vetter where Wainright is going to play, and also for Earl Watson's AAU program.  I also have a good feeling about this kid.  I watched some more of him, and with his long arms, defensively he reminds me a little bit of Artest actually. 

And him and Anderson hooked up on twitter recently :)  Hmmmm.  Rico has certainly pulling his weight.  Lavin recruited some sick athletes first year, but he's going after a bunch of really controlled, skilled players lately:  Wainwright, Anderson, Jefferson...you could kind of even put Gathers in that category. 

I really like what I see/read on Wainwright.  Seems a lot like Ron like you said in the way he can do it all from running some point, d'ing up on anyone, etc. 

Gumby

« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2011, 07:45:59 PM »
While none of us has a crystal ball on our Class of 2011 and Class of 2012 recruits in terms of who will still be in Queens at the end of the 2012-13 Season, are we looking for two definite recruits in 2013?  Those openings are the MS and GG spots. If so, it seems like the front runners are RJ and IW.  Not bad!

I think Coach will look for a PF/C from the JC ranks, if another spot comes open.

Moose

« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2011, 08:20:55 PM »
While none of us has a crystal ball on our Class of 2011 and Class of 2012 recruits in terms of who will still be in Queens at the end of the 2012-13 Season, are we looking for two definite recruits in 2013?  Those openings are the MS and GG spots. If so, it seems like the front runners are RJ and IW.  Not bad!

I think Coach will look for a PF/C from the JC ranks, if another spot comes open.

Man abbreviations make my head spin.

Lets not start counting ships.  I think its clear we're recruiting high level talent that in a perfect world won't last 4 yrs.  There WILL be defections.  Either to the NBA or the inevitable transfer for homesick, playing time, etc.

Gumby

« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2011, 10:02:34 PM »

Lets not start counting ships.  I think its clear we're recruiting high level talent that in a perfect world won't last 4 yrs.  There WILL be defections.  Either to the NBA or the inevitable transfer for homesick, playing time, etc.

Wow, I am being told not to speculate on the number of scholarships we may have in a few years.  I thought that one of the key points on this website is speculating about any thing related the the St. John's BB team.

Chill out and let me do my thing!

Moose

« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2011, 10:06:54 PM »

Wow, I am being told not to speculate on the number of scholarships we may have in a few years.  I thought that one of the key points on this website is speculating about any thing related the the St. John's BB team.

Chill out and let me do my thing!

Chill out?  You need to chill out.  I'm not 'telling' you to do anything. 

That being said just as you have an opinion I do too.  I'm stating its pointless speculation.  Speculate on who is going to come sure thats fine and fun but to wonder how many ships we have is fruitless excercise.  Case in point how many people thought we would have Polee's ship after just one yr?