Ishmail Wainwright - SF - Raytown South - Raytown, MO - BAYLOR

• 263 replies
Re: Ishmail Wainwright - SF - Raytown South - Raytown, MO
« Reply #80 on: October 30, 2011, 10:28:37 AM »
its been quiet on his front for a bit now. I hope were still heavily persuing him.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Moose

« Reply #81 on: October 30, 2011, 11:52:47 AM »
its been quiet on his front for a bit now. I hope were still heavily persuing him.

Our recruiting overall has been quiet.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Wods317

« Reply #82 on: October 30, 2011, 11:37:57 PM »

Our coach is recovering from surgery and we are about start the season, our focus is on this year right now as it should be.

Marillac

« Reply #83 on: October 31, 2011, 01:07:28 AM »
We just have to regain the momentum.  We had as much as any team in the country until the trio was ruled ineligible.  We have been taking our lumps since.

Moose

« Reply #84 on: October 31, 2011, 07:34:09 AM »

Our coach is recovering from surgery and we are about start the season, our focus is on this year right now as it should be.

Um so college recruiting stops because the season is starting?

MCNPA

« Reply #85 on: October 31, 2011, 08:38:57 AM »
We just have to regain the momentum.  We had as much as any team in the country until the trio was ruled ineligible.  We have been taking our lumps since.

We haven't taken any lumps since except losing arguably the #1 player in the country in Anderson.  We have landed gathers and wood.  I don't see any other lumps we've taken since then.  We are expecting Amir in December at at point, and possibly Pelle next season.  It's not like we have 5 ships to give and are resting on our laurels.  I highly doubt it is the case.  Not sure what people are expecting at this point.  We have one ship or so to give and we haven't even hit the fall signing period yet. 

Moose

« Reply #86 on: October 31, 2011, 08:42:03 AM »

We haven't taken any lumps since except losing arguably the #1 player in the country in Anderson.  We have landed gathers and wood.  I don't see any other lumps we've taken since then.  We are expecting Amir in December at at point, and possibly Pelle next season.  It's not like we have 5 ships to give and are resting on our laurels.  I highly doubt it is the case.  Not sure what people are expecting at this point.  We have one ship or so to give and we haven't even hit the fall signing period yet. 

We have a lot more than 1 ship to give.  You cannot count on the guys who didn't qualify.  Sorry but you can't.  Sure Amir is saying positive things but remember we are at the mercy of the NCAA.  As for the other two I am NOT holding my breath.

As for it being quiet of course last year we were dealing with 9 ships and lots of attention.  Things seems to be eerily quiet this year.  Throw in rumblings on Gathers and the uneasiness is easy to explain.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 08:42:33 AM by Moose »

MCNPA

« Reply #87 on: October 31, 2011, 08:54:03 AM »

We have a lot more than 1 ship to give.  You cannot count on the guys who didn't qualify.  Sorry but you can't.  Sure Amir is saying positive things but remember we are at the mercy of the NCAA.  As for the other two I am NOT holding my breath.

As for it being quiet of course last year we were dealing with 9 ships and lots of attention.  Things seems to be eerily quiet this year.  Throw in rumblings on Gathers and the uneasiness is easy to explain.

I think "eerily" quiet is a bit of an exaggeration Moose.  Just because we aren't landing players at a pace like we did last year means little.  Like I said, we already have 2 top 100 kids on board for 2012.  I'd agree with you if we had nobody signed at this point.  As far as Amir goes, if he has the grades in requisite classes at Bridgton, I don't see the NCAA denying him a second time.  They aren't going to pull the same nonsense they did with Rise classes with Bridgton. 

Yes we'll have a few ships but I don't expect that all year will be quiet.  We get involved pretty quickly when we're interested in a kid.  Right now might be a bit quiet with Lavin having surgery and an illness. But I think it is the only reason things are so quiet.

Moose

« Reply #88 on: October 31, 2011, 09:02:56 AM »

I think "eerily" quiet is a bit of an exaggeration Moose.  Just because we aren't landing players at a pace like we did last year means little.  Like I said, we already have 2 top 100 kids on board for 2012.  I'd agree with you if we had nobody signed at this point.  As far as Amir goes, if he has the grades in requisite classes at Bridgton, I don't see the NCAA denying him a second time.  They aren't going to pull the same nonsense they did with Rise classes with Bridgton. 

Yes we'll have a few ships but I don't expect that all year will be quiet.  We get involved pretty quickly when we're interested in a kid.  Right now might be a bit quiet with Lavin having surgery and an illness. But I think it is the only reason things are so quiet.

As for Amir we don't know what happened with Rise.  We just know him and the others didn't qualify.  We don't know why and we might never find out.

I don't think eerily quiet is an exaggeration.  It is.  Yea last year we got involved late with everyone but we came out smelling like roses.  Granted that was in April when Lavin was hired.  We had a lot invested in Kyle and in late September he said no and we are without question playing bigger catch-up with '12 class.  What's worse is we don't know the status of Amir, Pelle and Jakarr.  No question a tough predicament.  I know Lavin is out but that doesn't change the other staff members recruiting.

That all being said and back to the topic at hand I think we're still in extremely good shape with Wainwright.  With the Jaron Rush and Earl Watson to Lavin connection I think we are in pretty good shape.  I'd guess we see a 3 man class in '13.

MCNPA

« Reply #89 on: October 31, 2011, 09:08:31 AM »

As for Amir we don't know what happened with Rise.  We just know him and the others didn't qualify.  We don't know why and we might never find out.

I don't think eerily quiet is an exaggeration.  It is.  Yea last year we got involved late with everyone but we came out smelling like roses.  Granted that was in April when Lavin was hired.  We had a lot invested in Kyle and in late September he said no and we are without question playing bigger catch-up with '12 class.  What's worse is we don't know the status of Amir, Pelle and Jakarr.  No question a tough predicament.  I know Lavin is out but that doesn't change the other staff members recruiting.

That all being said and back to the topic at hand I think we're still in extremely good shape with Wainwright.  With the Jaron Rush and Earl Watson to Lavin connection I think we are in pretty good shape.  I'd guess we see a 3 man class in '13.

I agree we are behind with the 12' class.  The staff didn't expect to have this many ships to give for 12' with all those guys ineligible and Kyle choosing a different direction.   There is still a lot of recruiting to be done in this class.  I agree about Wainright, but he's 2013 and right now 2012 is the main priority.  I think Obekpa could be a big pickup if we can get that done.  We need more size, regardless.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #90 on: October 31, 2011, 09:38:35 AM »
The team needs more size, to be sure.

And I think the quiet about recruiting may be in part because Lavin's not there to make contact and to feed reporters. Also, most of the impact talents for 2012 are spoken for or are heavy leans, especially with the big men. Obekpa and possibly Amile Jefferson are out there, but who else? No high-end point guards.

Maybe they're leaving room open for a midseason transfer possibility.

Maybe it's a good thing to worry less about 2012 for higher-impact recruits in 2013.

MCNPA

« Reply #91 on: October 31, 2011, 09:41:48 AM »

And I think the quiet about recruiting may be in part because Lavin's not there to make contact and to feed reporters. Also, most of the impact talents for 2012 are spoken for or are heavy leans, especially with the big men. Obekpa and possibly Amile Jefferson are out there, but who else? No high-end point guards.

Maybe it's a good thing to worry less about 2012 for higher-impact recruits in 2013.

I don't have a problem with a JC player or so either.  They bridge the scholarship gaps for us and the staff landed two in GG and Lindsey who rare quite talented. I'm still pulling for Amir in December and Pelle in 12'.  Wed be in great shape right there.

Hey, Aaron scales a 6'9" center just recommitted from missou.  Maybe we can get involved as we need some size?  Don't know much about him though, but bot sure he fits that ultra athletic mold we've been recruiting.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 10:38:01 AM by MCNPA »

« Reply #92 on: October 31, 2011, 12:47:06 PM »

We are expecting Amir in December at at point, and possibly Pelle next season.  It's not like we have 5 ships to give and are resting on our laurels.  I highly doubt it is the case.  Not sure what people are expecting at this point.  We have one ship or so to give and we haven't even hit the fall signing period yet.

I for one would like to have 12 players next season.
We have 7 returning(sorry I dont count White). If all 4 of Garrett, Pelle, Wood & Gathers
sign in 2 weeks, then we're fine cherry picking 1 or 2 more in spring.

But whats disturbing is there is NOT ONE other 2012 kid listing us
(other than Obekpa) if above 4 arent all here.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 01:52:34 PM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

desco80

« Reply #93 on: October 31, 2011, 06:50:54 PM »
No idea who this writer is - Josh Paunil ? -  but he quotes Wainwright saying we're amongst his favorites.  The article says Wainwright might look to goto Kentucky as part of a 3 player package with Kasey Hill and Julius Randal -- but when asked where he thought he would end up if they DON'T all goto the same school, Wainwright says
"“It would probably be between St. John’s and UCLA for me, I think Kasey would go to Florida and Julius would probably go to Kentucky,”

"Although the Red Storm and Bruins lead for Wainright, there are others who are standing out to him. “The ones standing out are UCLA, St. John’s, Louisville, Syracuse, West Virginia and Missouri,” says Wainright"

http://recruitingspotlight.wordpress.com/2011/10/31/wainright-says-he-hill-randle-could-commit-together-uk-is-most-likely/

So it sounds like we're very much in the running for another big time wing.

Wods317

« Reply #94 on: October 31, 2011, 07:40:21 PM »

When you are spending 10 hours a day coaching and your head coach is out of action recruiting takes a back seat that is just reality of what is happening right now.

Moose

« Reply #95 on: October 31, 2011, 07:41:21 PM »

I don't have a problem with a JC player or so either.  They bridge the scholarship gaps for us and the staff landed two in GG and Lindsey who rare quite talented. I'm still pulling for Amir in December and Pelle in 12'.  Wed be in great shape right there.

Hey, Aaron scales a 6'9" center just recommitted from missou.  Maybe we can get involved as we need some size?  Don't know much about him though, but bot sure he fits that ultra athletic mold we've been recruiting.

Scales is a big boy.  Pretty agile though for a guy his size.  Kind of reminds me of more athletic Markus Kennedy (Nova).

Downside is all 3 recruiting services had him as just 2 star.

Moose

« Reply #96 on: October 31, 2011, 07:43:36 PM »

When you are spending 10 hours a day coaching and your head coach is out of action recruiting takes a back seat that is just reality of what is happening right now.

Were gonna have to agree to disagree here.  Not discounting what is happening to Lavin, but you don't stop recruiting.  There was still plenty of time all sumemr.  There are enough staff members.  Now Rico's injury might hurt him bouncing around a bit and put the onus on Chiles.

Wods317

« Reply #97 on: October 31, 2011, 07:47:24 PM »

Were gonna have to agree to disagree here.  Not discounting what is happening to Lavin, but you don't stop recruiting.  There was still plenty of time all sumemr.  There are enough staff members.  Now Rico's injury might hurt him bouncing around a bit and put the onus on Chiles.
I never said stop recruiting but with your top recruiter out and the season about to start it has to take a backseat to getting the players ready for the next game.

« Reply #98 on: October 31, 2011, 09:17:13 PM »
Back to Ish.  Bad news/Good news story.  Apparently Wainwright, Kasey Hill and Julius Randle are thinking of being a package deal and if so the likely destination is Kentucky.  However he says assuming no package deal he will likely land at SJU or UCLA and that UK (Calipari), SJU (Lavin) and UCLA are his 3 favorite staffs:

However, the trio has talked about that possibility extensively and have come up with a few schools in common that they all like. “Kentucky is one of the main schools and Kansas and I think Baylor,” Wainright says. “And Missouri too, Kasey likes Missouri but I didn’t think he liked them.”

There are also a couple schools in particular who are most likely to land the whole trio. Says Wainright, “I’d have to say Kentucky is the number one school, I think Baylor — me and Julius like Baylor — but I don’t know if Kasey does, all I know is Kentucky is the main school.”

However, if the trio doesn’t go to the same school, Wainright identified who he thought the favorite was to land each player. “It would probably be between St. John’s and UCLA for me, I think Kasey would go to Florida and Julius would probably go to Kentucky,” he adds.

Wainright also has a good idea of what he’s looking for in his potential college choice. “I want a good relationship with the coaching staff and with some of the players who are also coming in with me,” says Wainright. “[Kentucky head coach] John Calipari is my favorite coach, it’s either between him and [St. John’s head] coach [Steve] Lavin. I’ve been talking to Coach Lavin a lot lately. And UCLA, those are probably my top three favorite coaching staffs.”

http://recruitingspotlight.wordpress.com/

« Reply #99 on: November 01, 2011, 01:03:21 AM »
Article was posted earlier. Its definitely not the greatest news possible but at least were amongst his favorites and well get a visit or two.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.