Jermaine Lawrence - PF - Cincinnati Transfer - Bayside, NY

• 1791 replies

boo3

Re: Jermaine Lawrence - PF - Cardozo HS - Bayside, NY
« Reply #160 on: May 06, 2012, 02:24:08 PM »
 Like I said... It comes down to whether he wants to stay home or not.  The kid is from Long Island.  He's probably been to MSG a million times.   He knows the deal.

Whether I, as a fan, believe STJ is a top notch destination for a college student, is of zero consequence.

Thankfully we have Lavin. As we witnessed under the last regime, STJ and MSG do not recruit themselves. You need a true salesman. We have that now.

How many STJ students, athletes in particular, spend a ton of time in the city anyway?( I'm truly asking the question, I'm curious as to the answer) Besides playing games at MSG.   It's super expensive.  Plus, at least when i was 18-20 years old, I couldn't give a rat's ass about culture or museums, and stuff like that. I was looking to get drunk and chase skirt...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 02:24:42 PM by boo3 »

« Reply #161 on: May 06, 2012, 04:13:17 PM »
I doubt that Jermaine drinks due to religious beliefs---as well as age.  As for chasing tail, all religions forbid it; all fail at preventing it.  Jermaine is from Queens, so there is no novelty in playing here but NYC is still a great place to live even if you don't care about museums and culture.

Happy

« Reply #162 on: May 06, 2012, 04:58:39 PM »
Like I said... It comes down to whether he wants to stay home or not.  The kid is from Long Island.  He's probably been to MSG a million times.   He knows the deal.

Whether I, as a fan, believe STJ is a top notch destination for a college student, is of zero consequence.

Thankfully we have Lavin. As we witnessed under the last regime, STJ and MSG do not recruit themselves. You need a true salesman. We have that now.

How many STJ students, athletes in particular, spend a ton of time in the city anyway?( I'm truly asking the question, I'm curious as to the answer) Besides playing games at MSG.   It's super expensive.  Plus, at least when i was 18-20 years old, I couldn't give a rat's ass about culture or museums, and stuff like that. I was looking to get drunk and chase skirt...

Jermaine is not from Long Island.. Once the staff wraps up 2012.. I'm pretty sure he will be priority #1

LJSA

« Reply #163 on: May 06, 2012, 05:02:32 PM »

How many STJ students, athletes in particular, spend a ton of time in the city anyway?

I've always wondered that myself, since I didn't go to St. John's. In the past I took the subway from West 4th to the closest stop to St. John's and walked awhile to check out some CHSAA playoff games, but do car-less students actually go through the hassle of getting to Manhattan on a regular basis? Or is it more likely that they'd just hop in a car and go to Bell Boulevard? Is that even a happening strip anymore? (I'm many years out of college and on the West Coast now.)

I'd imagine basketball players spend a lot of their time practicing and not much time partying far from campus.

« Reply #164 on: May 07, 2012, 01:42:46 AM »
Alexes Hargrove, a friend of the family helping in Lawrence's recruitment, said he will cut his list to five at some point in August. Lawrence said he has no favorites, but Cincinnati assistant Darren Savino has made a major push.

"Darren has been at every game, almost everywhere Jermaine has been," Hargrove said. "Either him or [head coach] Mick Cronin show up to support Jermaine."

After watching Lawrence in Philadelphia, UNLV told Hargrove they plan to be around a lot in the coming months. Rutgers has been involved with Lawrence since he came of age at Cardozo, with Van Macon consistently checking in, Hargrove said. St. John's was one of the first major Division I programs to offer Lawrence and they remain a factor as well.

Lawrence said location won't play a role in his commitment. He is looking for a team which plays an up-tempo style, can offer his immediate minutes and he feels comfortable at.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/high_school/basketball/lawrence_meteoric_rise_continued_CcnnZSTbdBSrpSHbcH7EWL?utm_medium=rss&utm_content=Basketball

paultzman

« Reply #165 on: May 09, 2012, 12:59:33 PM »
Really developing. Quite a nice handle, not to mention deft touch recently. SJU full court press on Durant style player!

“@ECoastBias: Jermaine Lawrence shows the full skill set at Mary Kline Classic. #stjbb http://t.co/lCxotBQg

Chilleb

« Reply #166 on: May 09, 2012, 01:27:09 PM »
Really developing. Quite a nice handle, not to mention deft touch recently. SJU full court press on Durant style player!

“@ECoastBias: Jermaine Lawrence shows the full skill set at Mary Kline Classic. #stjbb http://t.co/lCxotBQg
incredible i saw this kid twice this year at cardoza and he didnt look half as good in that 2 minute video. he didnt even look like he was capable to put the ball on the floor that well any time soon for that matter. what a dramatic jump in such a short period of time. now i see what all the buzz is about he has improved tremendously !!! ive been watching this kid since he was playing jv in 9th grade and i must say ive never been more blown away in 2 minutes then i just was. the air must be a lot better up there in jersey. lol

Happy

« Reply #167 on: May 09, 2012, 05:44:27 PM »

incredible i saw this kid twice this year at cardoza and he didnt look half as good in that 2 minute video. he didnt even look like he was capable to put the ball on the floor that well any time soon for that matter. what a dramatic jump in such a short period of time. now i see what all the buzz is about he has improved tremendously !!! ive been watching this kid since he was playing jv in 9th grade and i must say ive never been more blown away in 2 minutes then i just was. the air must be a lot better up there in jersey. lol

Chileb...  You ain't kidding..  The improvement is amazing.. 3 months ago I was talking to a recruiting guy who used the words soft and not a program changer in reference to Lawrence.. After watching the Kline classic last weekend the only word that came out of his mouth was PRO !!    Stunning the turnaround with his game. 

Moose

« Reply #168 on: May 09, 2012, 05:45:09 PM »

Chileb...  You ain't kidding..  The improvement is amazing.. 3 months ago I was talking to a recruiting guy who used the words soft and not a program changer in reference to Lawrence.. After watching the Kline classic last weekend the only word that came out of his mouth was PRO !!    Stunning the turnaround with his game. 

That's a credit to Lavin.
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #169 on: May 10, 2012, 04:40:24 PM »
“@NYPost_Brazille: have heard sju has fallen behind RT @JonRothstein: Word is Rutgers, St. John's, and Cincinnati are all in strong ... http://t.co/aAx5TBqG

« Reply #170 on: May 10, 2012, 05:24:44 PM »
“@NYPost_Brazille: have heard sju has fallen behind RT @JonRothstein: Word is Rutgers, St. John's, and Cincinnati are all in strong ... http://t.co/aAx5TBqG

Not good if true, we need to get back on that. No way Cincinnati & Rutgers should be beating us for someone that talented in our own backyard

sju89tr

« Reply #171 on: May 10, 2012, 05:31:00 PM »
If the last two weekends put us behind with his new advisors then it is what it is. We have been all over him for a year and then his new people in NJ don't understand that we were hosting recruits factors into this and puts word on the street that we have fallen behind really disappoints me. I am not sure if any of the competition went to Europe to watch Jermaine like we did .  This NJ contingent reminds me of Jason Smith.

Moose

« Reply #172 on: May 10, 2012, 05:32:37 PM »
If the last two weekends put us behind with his new advisors then it is what it is. We have been all over him for a year and then his new people in NJ don't understand that we were hosting recruits factors into this and puts word on the street that we have fallen behind really disappoints me. I am not sure if any of the competition went to Europe to watch Jermaine like we did .  This NJ contingent reminds me of Jason Smith.

It might be a little early for the Jason Smith stuff but regardless the Mom runs this show and we're in good with the Mom.
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #173 on: May 10, 2012, 05:37:48 PM »

It might be a little early for the Jason Smith stuff but regardless the Mom runs this show and we're in good with the Mom.

Zach of NY Post a good guy and well informed. That said, I think his comment is reflective of street chatter. I believe this will be a dog fight, but am confident staff will prevail. On another note, Savino is really giving Cinci access to NY.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 05:41:25 PM by paultzman »

sju89tr

« Reply #174 on: May 10, 2012, 05:49:38 PM »

Zach of NY Post a good guy and well informed. That said, I think his comment is reflective of street chatter. I believe this will be a dog fight, but am confident staff will prevail. On another note, Savino is really giving Cinci access to NY.

$avino Who? lol Just Kidding

« Reply #175 on: May 10, 2012, 10:39:42 PM »

Bingo.  Lot being made of SJU not participating heavily in the just added two April weekends of live recruiting because SJU was still hosting visits for 2012 recruits. 
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 08:33:55 AM by fordham96 »

« Reply #176 on: May 11, 2012, 08:33:16 AM »
Calm down, it's still early and many of the biggies are going to come courting.  What I'm hearing is his favorite color is red, just not Rutgers red.

ris

« Reply #177 on: May 11, 2012, 10:34:36 AM »
What I'm hearing is his favorite color is red, just not Rutgers red.

But are we red or black?  ;)

derk

« Reply #178 on: May 11, 2012, 12:01:55 PM »
Have heard he is somewhat of a homebody which seems to jive with us or Rutgers.

Chilleb

« Reply #179 on: May 11, 2012, 09:12:40 PM »
Rutgers in fact leading for Lawrence had a long conversation with a top tier source. Lavins health still a lingering issue with recruits. Don't shoot me im just the messenger.