Wilfredo Rodriguez - SF - Cheshire Academy - Cheshire, CT

• 28 replies

paultzman

Wilfredo Rodriguez - SF - Cheshire Academy - Cheshire, CT
« on: August 15, 2013, 05:38:33 PM »
“@AdamZagoria: #Stjbb coach Steve Lavin called 6-6 2014 wing Wilfredo Rodriguez today, his AAU coach tells @SNYtv...more later”

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Wilfredo-Rodriguez-153750

Old article

http://zagsblog.com/articles/rutgers-uconn-georgetown-involved-with-2000-point-scorer-wilfredo-rodriguez/
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 07:12:41 PM by kjd01067 »

MCNPA

Re: Wilfredo Rodriguez-SF- Cheshire Academy, Ct.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 05:59:35 PM »
He's got a really nice shooting stroke...

paultzman

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 07:07:44 PM »
From Zags

LAVIN CALLS RODRIGUEZ

Prior to the trip, Lavin called 2014 Puerto Rican wing Wilfredo Rodriguez to express interest, his AAU coach, Carlos Morales, told SNY.tv.

“They want him to visit in September and for Midnight Madness in October,” Morales said.

As for Rodriguez’s upside, Morales added: “Wilfredo is a 6-6 small forward with a 6-10 wingspan who can flat out score. At times you don’t even notice him on the floor and when you look at the stat sheet you see he finished with 20+ points. He has a great feel for the game.”

Rodriguez also holds offers from Delaware and Stony Brook. He will prep this year at Cheshire (Conn.) Academy.

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 07:10:51 PM »
Are we already heading down the "diamond in the rough" path for 2014?

PIB

Re: Wilfredo Rodriguez - SF - Cheshire Academy - Cheshire, CT
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 09:00:43 PM »
Not promising.

MCNPA

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 09:14:00 PM »
Why are people assuming this kid isn't good?  Larrier wasn't ranked anywhere a few months ago either.  He got exposure in AAU and took off.  Kid is scoring big points.  Will be prepping in the east this year.  I don't know enough about him, but silly to write him off this early.

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 09:17:34 PM »
Check out his highlights. He looks like a player to me.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

MCNPA

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 10:34:29 PM »
Check out his highlights. He looks like a player to me.

http://www.scarberrymedia.com/2013/04/29/adidas-hoops-challenge-top-performers/#more-342

"If I had one word to describe Willie Rodriguez’ game, it would have to be “electric.” The junior small forward from Orlando was a vital part to M.o.a.M’s run to a tournament title, providing a spark whenever the ball touched his hands. Slashing through opposing defenses, and stretching the floor with his deep shooting range, Rodriguez was one of the hardest players to defend over the weekend. Rodriguez’ highlight play came in a semifinal win over Indiana Fire Elite in which he caught a half-court bounce pass from BJ Taylor that turned into a posterizing slam. Rodriguez is getting serious looks from numerous high-major programs."
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 10:36:47 PM by MCNPA »

Moose

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 11:21:01 PM »
Why are people assuming this kid isn't good?  Larrier wasn't ranked anywhere a few months ago either.  He got exposure in AAU and took off.  Kid is scoring big points.  Will be prepping in the east this year.  I don't know enough about him, but silly to write him off this early.

Because he isn't ranked so the peanut gallery jumps to conclusions. This time last year nobody knew who Angle Delgado was either. And Larrier wasn't as high profile as now. When it comes to talent evaluations I don't question the staff. Yet of course
Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 11:30:05 PM »

Because he isn't ranked so the peanut gallery jumps to conclusions. This time last year nobody knew who Angle Delgado was either. And Larrier wasn't as high profile as now. When it comes to talent evaluations I don't question the staff. Yet of course

Agree Moose.  I know it's a highlight video, but its not just dunks etc.  This kid looks long and skilled.  Seems smooth.  I'd love to have a wing that can create his own shots. 

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 11:35:48 PM »

Had you heard of him before today?  It's a noticeable deviation from previously established successful recruiting patterns from this staff - top 100 national recruits.

crgreen

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013, 12:12:30 AM »

Had you heard of him before today?  It's a noticeable deviation from previously established successful recruiting patterns from this staff - top 100 national recruits.

i dunno.  Looks like the kid is blowing up pretty fast.   4 D-1 offers in the last 2 week, 4 in the last 4 weeks, and 8 in the last six weeks.

The timing  on the interest (and current level of schools on the kid)  makes me wonder if Lavin didn't ask Whitesell if there were any players SLU had been looking at that we should check out....

gman

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2013, 12:24:46 AM »
Found this old article about him.  Not a bad list of schools, and CRGreen might be correct about why we are showing interest.

http://www.sourcehoops.com/tag/wilfredo-rodriguez/

A big time sleeper inside of the class of 2013 is Wilfredo Rodriguez. Rodriguez is a slim 6’6 forward with a knack for scoring the basketball. We saw that first hand a couple weeks ago at the Travel Team Jamboree where he led D12 Warriors to two big wins against highly touted Florida Rams and E1T1 South.  Hitting the three ball, getting out on the break and scoring in transition, beating his man off the dribble, Rodriguez had it rolling!

Wilfredo played for East River High School located in the Orlando area. He led them in scoring with 22 points per game despite a 14-11 record.

Rodriguez is looking to make a statement

This is a huge summer for Wilfredo to prove his talents and he would love to start it off matching up with E1T1 Elite and a rematch with the Florida Rams with Kasey Hill in attendance. “I want to prove to people I can play with those guys”, stated Rodriguez.  “I would like to match up with Demarcus Croaker this summer. I want to prove he should not be rated higher than me,” added Wilfredo when asked who he would like compete against this summer.

Rodriguez has shown us tremendous improvement throughout the year and when asked what his focus is this off season he said, “I want to tighten up my handles and stay in the weight room.”

Currently Wilfredo holds only one offer from Jacksonville University but we expect all that to change this summer and upcoming school year. Murray State, Oregon State, Utah State, UCF, Campbell, Creighton, and VCU all are extremely interested in the scorer.

Moose

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2013, 12:36:20 AM »

No I didn't. I don't follow recruiting as diligently as I used to. But if the kid represented his country on a national team I'd be inclined to say he was flying under the radar a bit.
Remember who broke the Slice news

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2013, 05:49:53 AM »
This is what it's come to.....  :down:

MCNPA

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2013, 08:38:11 AM »

Dumb post.  Obekpa wasn't well known until late.  Russ Smith was unranked entering Louisville.  Only other 2K point scorer from his league was Austin Rivers.  Rodriguez has a career FG % of 62%.  Had a game this season shooting 12-18 from the field with 28pts, 16 Rebs, 4 assists and 4 blocks.  It's not like he's not putting up the numbers.  Playing in the East this year he should get more eyes on him.  Looks like a good prospect and lots of majors jumping on board now.

Hey, check out this unranked guy...
http://rivals.yahoo.com/creighton/basketball/recruiting/player-Doug-McDermott-95418
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 08:41:44 AM by MCNPA »

paultzman

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2013, 09:00:06 AM »

Dumb post.  Obekpa wasn't well known until late.  Russ Smith was unranked entering Louisville.  Only other 2K point scorer from his league was Austin Rivers.  Rodriguez has a career FG % of 62%.  Had a game this season shooting 12-18 from the field with 28pts, 16 Rebs, 4 assists and 4 blocks.  It's not like he's not putting up the numbers.  Playing in the East this year he should get more eyes on him.  Looks like a good prospect and lots of majors jumping on board now.

Hey, check out this unranked guy...
http://rivals.yahoo.com/creighton/basketball/recruiting/player-Doug-McDermott-95418

My sense is staff is attracted to him because of flexibility. He appears to have a decent shot, handle and rebounds well.  (As much as you can judge from articles, video) I guess with additional weight they feel he could help interior game in a pinch with his wing span. If he becomes a reasonable role player, I think that is ok. To me the bigger issue is adding two true interior players this year to protect our flanks in case we lose player(s) manning the 4 & 5. At this point I will trust staff to do that between now and late signing period.

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2013, 09:04:42 AM »

I don't think people are assuming he isn't good.  It just seems St. John's is being crossed off by a lot of their targeted 2014 recruits.

MCNPA

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2013, 09:18:22 AM »

I don't think people are assuming he isn't good.  It just seems St. John's is being crossed off by a lot of their targeted 2014 recruits.

By a lot you mean 3?  Abu, Terrell and Whitehead.  Only one is a forward anyway, which is our area of need.  I'm not saying I know how good he is, but he's got great numbers, and big programs are picking up on him.  Jim Calhoun won championships with lots of unranked guys.

I absolutely hate the idea that only top 100 players will win ball games.  Even programs like Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt routinely bring in unranked kids who they think are better than their ranking.  Our bread and butter should be top 100 kids, but landing a sleeper or two is not a problem.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 09:28:15 AM by MCNPA »