Robert Carter - Georgia Tech Transfer

• 106 replies

TONYD3

Re: Robert Carter - Georgia Tech Transfer
« Reply #100 on: June 06, 2014, 05:35:39 PM »
Not dissing obekpa but why would he be such a loss . I think he is gone next year also . We have a year to replace him. I don't think he is bad but I don't think he is good. He is the most overrated player we have ever had.

I don't think he's overrated at all. We are a completely different team defensively with him on the court.
He is a great shot blocker. I dont think he is even a good post defender. Stronger guys kill him. Since everyone is stronger then him I think he he gets beat plenty. I like Charles Oakley types.

« Reply #101 on: June 06, 2014, 05:46:49 PM »
Where do we go from here?  Could be looking at 8 scholarships available in '15 and I can't even identify 8 targets who are being actively recruited at this stage.

« Reply #102 on: June 07, 2014, 01:38:02 AM »
Not dissing obekpa but why would he be such a loss . I think he is gone next year also . We have a year to replace him. I don't think he is bad but I don't think he is good. He is the most overrated player we have ever had.

I don't think he's overrated at all. We are a completely different team defensively with him on the court.
He is a great shot blocker. I dont think he is even a good post defender. Stronger guys kill him. Since everyone is stronger then him I think he he gets beat plenty. I like Charles Oakley types.

He may get beat by bigger guys, but guards are afraid to take it to the home knowing he's there.

« Reply #103 on: June 07, 2014, 11:23:40 AM »
sounds to me like Carter liked that there are already concrete plans (committed players) at Maryland for 2015.  He knows who he'll be playing with.  Versus us, where we lose the core of our team after this season.  (and i don't want to hear that Jordan and Obekpa will be around in '15). 

But how about the 5 players leaving their program. How come that kind of negative doesn't affect other schools the way it would've hurt us.
It is a negative, but taken in context, Carter looked at who he is playing with in '15-'16.  He knows the '14 class is loaded (Trimble is going to be terrific) and will combine with him and Layman to be solid. 

Of course, transfers are the soup du jour, and this can change by the time Carter suits up.  Considering Carter already had the Terps in his final list the first time, the staff almost pulled it off.  The need was greater here, but so be it. 

Marillac

« Reply #104 on: June 07, 2014, 11:58:05 AM »

Obekpa would have been a huge loss...much bigger than Sampson IMO.  First, he can play the five.  The four in college is so much more easily replaced. Teams have been successful with SFs at the four and even guards in small lineups.  Certain zones like the 2-3 or 1-3-1 can almost completely hide a smaller guy at the four. 

Too much was made about Obekpa his freshman year.  I was not a big fan despite the block totals.  I felt he should have been a 10-15 mpg guy max on a team with the proper depth.  This past season he really improved.  His post defnse was better,he put on a lot of size and strength (pretty much the only player to do so), he showed some offense for the first time, he screened well (most of the time) and his rebounding and positioning were much improved.  Did that improvement make him an all-conference player last year?  No, but if he's not this season, he'll be close.  We would have been screwed withou thim.  I expect him to add about 10 more pounds of muscle, develop his offense a little more, and just play smarter overall.  The way the season ended should be a big learning experience for him to take into the off-season.

Carter would have been huge for 2015.  He would have been a great fit next to CO and/or Diallo, and he would have been a solid veteran to lead the way.  Oh well.

« Reply #105 on: June 07, 2014, 02:59:53 PM »
@insidemdsports: Despite rumors about Auburn, Robert Carter Jr. told me St. John's was actually the other finalist w/ Terps. #sjubb
http://t.co/9deU8KL8MX

Nice effort by staff, but no cigar. Onward!

Sweet, second place!

desco80

« Reply #106 on: June 07, 2014, 03:39:13 PM »
Oh well, would've been nice,  but I don't fault the staff for this.   No one knew we were after Carter two months ago, and bringing him up north would've been a difficult sell.

This year's recruiting will be all about Briscoe and diallo.   No surprise there