Around Big East

• 3954 replies
Re: around the big east
« Reply #1920 on: February 12, 2014, 11:37:12 AM »
Fox blowing up inflatable Pirates. Yikes!

@RogRubin: Marquette (13-10, 5-5 Big East) and Seton Hall (13-10, 4-6) about to tip at the Rock. Rough guess: 500 fans in the arena right now.

I don't like Marquette at 6-5...let's go Pirates.

I do. There one of three teams we can sweep. Having them a game ahead of us isnt a problem if we take care of business.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #1921 on: February 13, 2014, 11:33:24 AM »
Should Wichita State be considered for Big East?  VCU, St. Louis have been talked about.  But why not Wichita?

Poison

« Reply #1922 on: February 13, 2014, 11:40:48 AM »
Should Wichita State be considered for Big East?  VCU, St. Louis have been talked about.  But why not Wichita?

I don't think it's wise to keep adding teams that aren't in the east. It's nice that Creighton is having a fine season, but they are not a BE team because they are in the east. There is no rivalry to grow.

« Reply #1923 on: February 13, 2014, 12:04:58 PM »
If we are going to add two more, I think that UMASS and VCU are logical choices.  UMASS from a location standpoint, tradition standpoint, and that they seem to be on the upswing.  VCU is better than others from a location standpoint, and they have been a very successful program of late. 

My one concern with VCU is what happens if Shaka leaves.  It is premature, but Butler doesn't look nearly as attractive for the league as it did a year ago when Stevens was there.  No one saw Stevens making the leap to the pros (or leaving Butler generally) when he was turning down programs left and right.  I know that Shaka has turned down plenty of opportunities, but I'm sure there are a few jobs he would HAVE to take and if/when he does, what happens to VCU.

paultzman

« Reply #1924 on: February 13, 2014, 12:19:57 PM »
Not suggesting them, but SLU will get a big push from Catholic schools in all probability.

paultzman

« Reply #1925 on: February 13, 2014, 01:20:01 PM »
@BEandBeyond: How does this year's Big East conference stack up with the 'old Big East' of the past 10 years? Check it out at: http://t.co/Qp4blzqlTM

desco80

« Reply #1926 on: February 13, 2014, 01:35:25 PM »
Everyone looks at this issue from a fan's perspective.   But at the end of the day it's a business decision for each school.
That's why I can't see the conference adding more teams anytime soon.    Each team is getting $5mil a year from Fox.  Just for basketball.   That's pretty remarkable.
If they add 2 more teams, Fox would have to be willing to pay at least $10m more per season.   Otherwise everyone is taking home less.   

As good as Witchita St and VCU might be, I don't think they are worth an extra $10m to Fox.    10 is perfect.  It gives Fox bball inventory, the conference plays round-robbin, and each school takes home the max amount of revenue.    Adding teams will dilute that. 

« Reply #1927 on: February 13, 2014, 01:45:55 PM »
Everyone looks at this issue from a fan's perspective.   But at the end of the day it's a business decision for each school.
That's why I can't see the conference adding more teams anytime soon.    Each team is getting $5mil a year from Fox.  Just for basketball.   That's pretty remarkable.
If they add 2 more teams, Fox would have to be willing to pay at least $10m more per season.   Otherwise everyone is taking home less.   

As good as Witchita St and VCU might be, I don't think they are worth an extra $10m to Fox.    10 is perfect.  It gives Fox bball inventory, the conference plays round-robbin, and each school takes home the max amount of revenue.    Adding teams will dilute that. 

I agree with you.  It might be better from a PR standpoint to have 12 teams, but from a financial standpoint, it doesn't seem to make sense.  If there were two great programs available (say a Uconn and Memphis) then it would be a good idea.  I like VCU but I don't know that they bring a big enough tv market.  St. Louis brings in a tv market but I don't know that they will maintain a level of success to bring in enough viewers over the long haul.  A 10 team Big East, with tough competition from top to bottom, seems to make the most sense right now.

« Reply #1928 on: February 13, 2014, 11:30:10 PM »
There are rumors that the contract states Fox will increase the pay day should teams be added.

Moose

« Reply #1929 on: February 13, 2014, 11:32:18 PM »
There are rumors that the contract states Fox will increase the pay day should teams be added.

Who do you as a Gtown fan want to see added.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #1930 on: February 14, 2014, 09:53:35 AM »

Who do you as a Gtown fan want to see added.

It depends what the restrictions are. I think realistically the best adds at this point would be VCU and St. Louis.  Not only would we be great at Basketball but how sick would that soccer conference be!

tnice

« Reply #1931 on: February 14, 2014, 12:47:51 PM »
Ideally you'd like to add one to the (future) Eastern Division- SJU, SHU, Nova, Gtown, Prov.- and one to the Western Division-XU, DePaul,Marq., Creighton, Butler

Current TV markets w ranking- NY-1, Chicago-3, Philly-4, DC-8, Indianapolis-26, Milwaukee-34, Cincy-35, Providence-52,Omaha-76

The big, honking hole- TV wise and Big East tradition-wise is Boston at number 8.

Other top TV markets which could conceivably be part of the BE (east coast or Midwest, does not have a highly established school in another conference, has a school which could be remotely considered for the BE)
Detroit-11
Tampa-14
Cleveland-18
Orlando-19
St. Louis-21
Charlotte-25
Baltimore-27
Hartford/New Haven-31
Richmond-58

Just throwing it out there for informational purposes. Obviously, TV market isn't the only requirement...help to have an established program or one with high potential.

Moose

« Reply #1932 on: February 14, 2014, 12:55:49 PM »
Ideally you'd like to add one to the (future) Eastern Division- SJU, SHU, Nova, Gtown, Prov.- and one to the Western Division-XU, DePaul,Marq., Creighton, Butler

Current TV markets w ranking- NY-1, Chicago-3, Philly-4, DC-8, Indianapolis-26, Milwaukee-34, Cincy-35, Providence-52,Omaha-76

The big, honking hole- TV wise and Big East tradition-wise is Boston at number 8.

Other top TV markets which could conceivably be part of the BE (east coast or Midwest, does not have a highly established school in another conference, has a school which could be remotely considered for the BE)
Detroit-11
Tampa-14
Cleveland-18
Orlando-19
St. Louis-21
Charlotte-25
Baltimore-27
Hartford/New Haven-31
Richmond-58

Just throwing it out there for informational purposes. Obviously, TV market isn't the only requirement...help to have an established program or one with high potential.

Thanks for posting this.  I haven't bothered to look but I posted something similar last year with a big breakdown of TV markets.  I think TV markets and also attendance/school size need to play a factor.  But not at the price of the premise of what the new BE is based on.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #1933 on: February 14, 2014, 01:00:58 PM »

Detroit-11
Tampa-14
Cleveland-18
Orlando-19
St. Louis-21
Charlotte-25
Baltimore-27
Hartford/New Haven-31
Richmond-58

Out of that list St. Louis & Richmond are potential matches. Detroit isn't a good enough program. UMass for the Boston market is a stretch but might work

« Reply #1934 on: February 14, 2014, 01:08:08 PM »
UMass and St. Louis would round out the league very nicely.

I would love those two additions.

« Reply #1935 on: February 14, 2014, 01:18:42 PM »
The Problem with Umass is their D1 football team. Unless they give up on their recent move to 1A and drop back down to 1AA I don't see them being added.

paultzman

« Reply #1936 on: February 14, 2014, 01:23:03 PM »
@eamonnbrennan: Saint Louis is good at basketball, and good at being good. My feature on the Billikens: http://t.co/FD6nazVHmm

« Reply #1937 on: February 14, 2014, 01:27:41 PM »
The Problem with Umass is their D1 football team. Unless they give up on their recent move to 1A and drop back down to 1AA I don't see them being added.

Just read that they are spending alot of money upgrading their football field so you are probably right. St Louis is a no brainer in my opinion if the league is going to expand

goredmen

« Reply #1938 on: February 14, 2014, 02:04:36 PM »
St. Joes?

« Reply #1939 on: February 14, 2014, 11:33:56 PM »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.