Around Big East

• 3954 replies

Re: around the big east
« Reply #1941 on: February 15, 2014, 04:12:53 PM »
Who do you gguys think we should be rooting for in the Quette/Xavier game? Im thinking marquette because we have a chance to sweep them but I am not positive.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #1942 on: February 15, 2014, 04:30:18 PM »
I'm rooting for Xavier.  A loss for 'Quette puts us ahead of them on the bubble.  If we beat G'town, we pass them.  Then we can worry about PC losing a couple.  If we finish 4th in the BE, we will dance.  Also, Xavier has a pretty tough road ahead.  If they lose a couple, and we keep winning, we may be able to jump them.

paultzman

« Reply #1943 on: February 15, 2014, 05:02:31 PM »
Love Buzz! Turning things around;

@MarquetteMBB: #mubb leads Xavier 39-29 at the half, led by nine points from J. Wilson and 8 from Gardner. Both teams shooting 50 pct. from the floor.

paultzman

« Reply #1944 on: February 15, 2014, 10:53:24 PM »
@PhilKasiecki: Oliver Purnell may be running out of time at DePaul http://t.co/jLyuu4ZqfJ

DFF6

« Reply #1945 on: February 16, 2014, 07:20:55 PM »
Damn, Creighton smoking Nova again. They just own Wright's team. I kinda feel the same way about us and Gtown. Hope tonight makes me wrong.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #1946 on: February 17, 2014, 12:17:17 AM »
Damn, Creighton smoking Nova again. They just own Wright's team. I kinda feel the same way about us and Gtown. Hope tonight makes me wrong.

How do you feel about being wrong?! :-)
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #1947 on: February 17, 2014, 12:41:22 PM »
@PhilKasiecki: Oliver Purnell may be running out of time at DePaul http://t.co/jLyuu4ZqfJ

Interesting, I was listening to Anthony Davis being interviewed by Bill Simmons. They were discussing how the city of Chicago is dominating with talent & Simmons asked why there wasn't a college taking advantage of this and why DePaul couldn't land these kids. Davis said that Wayne Blackshear, himself and a couple other Chicago kids all planned on going to DePaul together but one of them got cold feet and the plan kinda fell apart. DePaul is a sleeping giant, with the new arena coming in all it takes is the right coach and these guys could be huge again

DFF6

« Reply #1948 on: February 17, 2014, 01:56:49 PM »

How do you feel about being wrong?! :-)

Feels great!!!

« Reply #1949 on: February 17, 2014, 02:36:31 PM »

Interesting, I was listening to Anthony Davis being interviewed by Bill Simmons. They were discussing how the city of Chicago is dominating with talent & Simmons asked why there wasn't a college taking advantage of this and why DePaul couldn't land these kids. Davis said that Wayne Blackshear, himself and a couple other Chicago kids all planned on going to DePaul together but one of them got cold feet and the plan kinda fell apart. DePaul is a sleeping giant, with the new arena coming in all it takes is the right coach and these guys could be huge again

I also listened to this, totally didn't realize Chicago doesn't really have a college bball team. DePaul needs a coach that can play up the fact that Chicago is a huge city that can rally behind a team.

paultzman

« Reply #1951 on: February 18, 2014, 11:18:16 AM »
When DePaul eventually fires  Purnell, would they have $ to attract Shaka Smart? He knows the area and there are a ton of kids from Chicago area who would love his style of play. Would be great for conference and give DePaul a boost. I realize he may get better offers at some point, but just a thought.

paultzman

« Reply #1952 on: February 18, 2014, 11:39:16 PM »
@zkeefer: Kameron Woods has been temporarily suspended from the #Butler basketball team, per coach Brandon Miller.

Leading rebounder.

Moose

« Reply #1953 on: February 19, 2014, 01:04:40 PM »
Posted this here because BE could maybe learn a lesson from ad campaigns from our basketball brethren-

The Atlantic 10 Conference is hoping that an "assertive new campaign" beginning this week will "help it gain the notice and attention enjoyed by its more well-known rivals," according to Stuart Elliott of the N.Y. TIMES. The campaign is being created by Philadelphia-based agency 160 Over 90, which "also works on advertising" for A-10 schools Dayton and George Washington, as well as for UCLA and Florida. The "upbeat tone of the campaign is exemplified by its theme, 'Who wants next?'" The theme also "serves as the address" of a microsite, whowantsnext.com. Among the microsite contents are "a forceful two-minute commercial; a manifesto that proclaims the conference’s academic achievement along with its athletic prowess; and results of recent A-10 basketball games that carry the confident heading 'Scoreboards Don’t Lie.'" The campaign also includes "a 60-second version of the commercial," which is to run during TV coverage of A-10 basketball games. There will be an "extensive presence in social media, using the hashtag #WhoWantsNext." Conference members also will "promote it on their individual" school/athletic websites, Facebook pages and Twitter feeds. A-10 Commissioner Bernadette McGlade said the theme is appropriate because it invokes "the gritty experience you have on the street with pickup basketball" when "the winner gets to stay on the court." The commercial features a narration by poet Saul Williams, "who speaks as viewers watch fast-paced clips of A-10 basketball games." There also are ads "that are more temperate." For example, one uses the headline, “Winning doesn’t mean losing,” and under the rubric, “What we stand for,” explains that “running our programs the right way and winning aren’t separate goals, they’re one and the same” (N.Y. TIMES, 2/19).
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #1954 on: February 19, 2014, 07:54:11 PM »
@phillipshoops: DePaul getting smoked again -- by Xavier -- yet Oliver Purnell faces minimal pressure to win from university administration. Incredible.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #1955 on: February 19, 2014, 08:10:27 PM »
@phillipshoops: DePaul getting smoked again -- by Xavier -- yet Oliver Purnell faces minimal pressure to win from university administration. Incredible.

How was DePaul allowed to be in the BE to begin with? There will be years where a team is bad but if the administration doesn't care that is troubling for the conference...Especially to a 10 team conference.
Cougar O' Malley

goredmen

« Reply #1956 on: February 19, 2014, 08:15:31 PM »

How was DePaul allowed to be in the BE to begin with? There will be years where a team is bad but if the administration doesn't care that is troubling for the conference...Especially to a 10 team conference.

The Chicago market. That's how

MCNPA

« Reply #1957 on: February 19, 2014, 08:15:39 PM »

DePaul can be good but Purnell stinks.  The guy needs to go.  Time for them to hire somebody with a plan who can recruit Chicago and the Midwest well.

paultzman

« Reply #1958 on: February 19, 2014, 09:07:50 PM »

DePaul can be good but Purnell stinks.  The guy needs to go.  Time for them to hire somebody with a plan who can recruit Chicago and the Midwest well.

Shaka

Moose

« Reply #1959 on: February 19, 2014, 09:10:51 PM »

Shaka

I don't know how Shaka would go there.  Turning down UCLA and end up with DePaul?  That's rough.
Remember who broke the Slice news