Around Big East

• 3954 replies
Re: around the big east
« Reply #1960 on: February 19, 2014, 09:17:42 PM »
@phillipshoops: DePaul getting smoked again -- by Xavier -- yet Oliver Purnell faces minimal pressure to win from university administration. Incredible.

DePaul can be good but Purnell stinks.  The guy needs to go.  Time for them to hire somebody with a plan who can recruit Chicago and the Midwest well.

Shaka

I don't know how Shaka would go there.  Turning down UCLA and end up with DePaul?  That's rough.

Which is precisely why DePaul won't pull the plug.  Who the hell wants that job???

It is very easy to fire someone it is MUCH harder to hire someone?  If you would have said that DePaul could hire a coach who helped turn around Dayton and then took Clemson to 5 consecutive NCAA tourney appearances you would say "GO FREAKIN' HIRE THAT GUY."  Because there is no way they could do any better.  And guess what that is who they hired.  Now has it worked out?  No.  But you're DePaul who in the hell are they going to hire?  And don't tell me some no record career assistant because you can't have it both ways.  In other words you can't say Purnell stinks even with his track record but you KNOW FOR  A FACT a no record career assistant will do better.

« Reply #1961 on: February 19, 2014, 09:17:58 PM »
Craig Robinson might be a good hire.  He has Chicago connections and would probably recruit the city well due to the Obama connection.  I have no idea how good a coach he is.

goredmen

« Reply #1962 on: February 19, 2014, 09:25:45 PM »
Craig Robinson might be a good hire.  He has Chicago connections and would probably recruit the city well due to the Obama connection.  I have no idea how good a coach he is.

He is a HORRIBLE coach. He sits silently practically all game and lets his guys fire shots from wherever they want. The only reason he hasn't been fired at Oregon State yet is because of Obama.

I hope the NSA doesn't monitor these boards....

« Reply #1963 on: February 19, 2014, 09:31:05 PM »

Exactly.  Don't get me wrong there are candidates but be clear no real established coaches and certainly none with the track record of Purnell.  In other words if Purnell was a bit of a reach then their next hire will be a LEAP of faith.

Same thing with Seton Hall fans.  I understand when you want results from a coach.  But look who SHU has hired the last 4 hires since PJ: Blaney (Patriot League), Amaker (Assistant), Louis Orr (MAAC), Gonzo (MAAC) and Willard (MAAC).  Notice the trend.  These jobs are not in high demand.  That is why they keep going back to the MAAC.  You want to fire him, fine.  Tell me who you think should be hired (realistically) and then tell me why you think they will do a BETTER job.

Kentucky fires Gillispie and hires Calipari.  I know damn well Calipari was going to do a better job at UK. Look at his track record. 

paultzman

« Reply #1964 on: February 19, 2014, 09:39:35 PM »
@phillipshoops: DePaul getting smoked again -- by Xavier -- yet Oliver Purnell faces minimal pressure to win from university administration. Incredible.

DePaul can be good but Purnell stinks.  The guy needs to go.  Time for them to hire somebody with a plan who can recruit Chicago and the Midwest well.

Shaka

I don't know how Shaka would go there.  Turning down UCLA and end up with DePaul?  That's rough.

Was kidding, but his wife went to Northwestern and he has recruited that area I believe. On the other hand, would he want to take on a total rebuild? Secondly, could DP pay him?  I now realize I'm refuting my own silly suggestion.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 09:41:20 PM by paultzman »

Moose

« Reply #1965 on: February 19, 2014, 09:54:28 PM »

Shaka

Was kidding, but his wife went to Northwestern and he has recruited that area I believe. On the other hand, would he want to take on a total rebuild? Secondly, could DP pay him?  I now realize I'm refuting my own silly suggestion.  ;)

I know me and you have talked about it.  If he leaves VCU I see him going to a basketball focused school.  Probably within a big city.  He would literally shock the college basketball world if it was DePaul.  If DePaul has some ballsy donors they should throw the kitchen sink at him.
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #1966 on: February 19, 2014, 10:06:22 PM »

Shaka

I know me and you have talked about it.  If he leaves VCU I see him going to a basketball focused school.  Probably within a big city.  He would literally shock the college basketball world if it was DePaul.  If DePaul has some ballsy donors they should throw the kitchen sink at him.

Somewhat off point, but I saw this recently. Pretty smart couple;

"Smart's given name was bestowed in honor of the famous Zulu warrior.[11] He graduated magna cum laude from Kenyon with a degree in History, researching and writing on issues related to race and the Great Migration his junior and senior years.[12] Smart received an NCAA postgraduate scholarship and earned a master's degree in social science at California University of Pennsylvania. He developed a love for quotations at Kenyon. Smart began writing down quotes into a digital document that is now over 110 pages long. He also likes nature documentaries featuring big cats.[13]
Smart has been married to Maya Payne, a professional writer and an alumna of both Harvard University and Northwestern University,[14] since 2006.[3] Their child, Zora Sanae Smart, was born on September 25, 2011.[15]"

« Reply #1967 on: February 19, 2014, 10:11:55 PM »

Shaka

Two things:

1)He turned down the Illinois job 2 years ago when they fired Bruce Weber.  A significantly better job then DePaul (and quite frankly most of the Big East) at a state school with an opportunity to return to Illinois and recruit Chicago in a great conference.

2)You can make a serious argument VCU is a better job then DePaul right now.

paultzman

« Reply #1968 on: February 19, 2014, 10:12:04 PM »
As Creighton dismantles Marquette on their home court, it is clear that McD Senior can coach a little bit. This team may not get to final eight, as some folks say, but man he has them prepared, organized and playing team ball. Class of Big East for sure. When young McD leaves, obviously there will be a fall off, but I suspect the coach will continue to be successful.

« Reply #1969 on: February 19, 2014, 10:25:10 PM »
As Creighton dismantles Marquette on their home court, it is clear that McD Senior can coach a little bit. This team may not get to final eight, as some folks say, but man he has them prepared, organized and playing team ball. Class of Big East for sure. When young McD leaves, obviously there will be a fall off, but I suspect the coach will continue to be successful.

They lose a lot after this year.  His son is a once in a 20 year type of 4 year special kid.  McD can coach but keep in mind look at his 4 years at Iowa St in between N Iowa and Creighton.  Four losing seasons.  Bolted before he could get fired when Altman left for Oregon.

My point is sometimes things don't work out, doesn't mean the coach stinks or is "terrible."  Circumstances sometimes just don't pan out. 

goredmen

« Reply #1970 on: February 19, 2014, 10:25:11 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised one but if he bolts to a new school after this year, even if it winds up being a somewhat lateral move. I can't see them finishing in the top half of the league next year. His value as a coach will never be any higher

paultzman

« Reply #1971 on: February 20, 2014, 09:43:45 AM »
@JonRothstein: Xavier's final five regular season games: at Georgetown, at St. John's, Creighton, at Seton Hall, Villanova. Arduous slate.

paultzman

« Reply #1972 on: February 20, 2014, 12:01:51 PM »
Interesting line ;

@BEandBeyond: Seton Hall favored by 1.5 over Georgetown tonight. Can the Hoyas pull off the "upset"?

« Reply #1973 on: February 20, 2014, 10:29:03 PM »
seton hall just dismantling the hoyas

« Reply #1974 on: February 20, 2014, 10:33:08 PM »
Georgetown does not come back they are probably done in terms of a at-large bid.

They are getting a lot of mileage out of that MSU win which has to be seen in context in terms of MSU missing both Payne and Dawson that game.

DFF6

« Reply #1975 on: February 20, 2014, 11:11:35 PM »
Georgetown does not come back they are probably done in terms of a at-large bid.

They are getting a lot of mileage out of that MSU win which has to be seen in context in terms of MSU missing both Payne and Dawson that game.

Not feeling so good anymore about the beating we gave Georgetown. 

« Reply #1976 on: February 20, 2014, 11:20:05 PM »
Not feeling so good anymore about the beating we gave Georgetown. 

Don't be silly.

« Reply #1977 on: February 20, 2014, 11:26:40 PM »
We would have dismantled a lot of teams with how we played that night.  Plenty to feel good about.

« Reply #1978 on: February 21, 2014, 02:25:00 PM »

Also was told that shockingly only because it is Izzo that Mich St did not put much focus into that game instead focusing on conference games. Shocking only in that Izzo would admit it.

hnk

« Reply #1979 on: February 22, 2014, 11:59:38 AM »
Georgetown up by 12...I think that's what we'd want. We'd be tied for third.