Around Big East

• 3954 replies

paultzman

Re: around the big east
« Reply #2040 on: March 04, 2014, 09:02:52 PM »

Perils of scoreboard watching, as GT beats Creighton. Oh well.

paultzman

« Reply #2041 on: March 04, 2014, 09:06:06 PM »
@RidicUpside: Source: Former DePaul Star Cleveland Melvin Claimed By Erie #BayHawks http://t.co/JfW3EvMXDa

« Reply #2042 on: March 04, 2014, 09:13:30 PM »
Don't get caught up in this.  I don't think Georgetown is going to beat Nova in Philly which means they finish 8-10.  They have some very good wins but I find it hard to believe the Committee takes a team with an under .500 record in the BE who lost twice to Seton Hall.

SJU needs to win on Saturday and then do some damage in NY which I think they will.

FYI-I believe Nova clinched a share of the BE crown tonight and with another win clinches the outright title and the no. 1 seed in NY.

paultzman

« Reply #2043 on: March 04, 2014, 09:20:25 PM »
Don't get caught up in this.  I don't think Georgetown is going to beat Nova in Philly which means they finish 8-10.  They have some very good wins but I find it hard to believe the Committee takes a team with an under .500 record in the BE who lost twice to Seton Hall.

SJU needs to win on Saturday and then do some damage in NY which I think they will.

FYI-I believe Nova clinched a share of the BE crown tonight and with another win clinches the outright title and the no. 1 seed in NY.

On cue;

@jeffborzello: One thing to worry about with Georgetown is the number of overall losses. At Nova and in the BE tourney would be 14: http://t.co/iZwpWSrCiO

DFF6

« Reply #2044 on: March 04, 2014, 10:04:32 PM »

On cue;

@jeffborzello: One thing to worry about with Georgetown is the number of overall losses. At Nova and in the BE tourney would be 14: http://t.co/iZwpWSrCiO

Yes, but  a win at Nova and Gtown is in.  Providence up 29 -27 against Marq at the half.  Really need Providence to lose.

paultzman

« Reply #2045 on: March 04, 2014, 10:07:49 PM »

On cue;

Yes, but  a win at Nova and Gtown is in.  Providence up 29 -27 against Marq at the half.  Really need Providence to lose.

Big "but" though with Nova looking to keep winning for a solid NCAA seed. Will be tough to beat in Philly.

« Reply #2046 on: March 04, 2014, 10:11:18 PM »
Hard to beat a good team on Senior Night.  Nova will probably be up for the game, just as G'town was tonight against Creighton.  It also has me worried about aour game against Marquette.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 10:15:23 PM by simplyred »

« Reply #2047 on: March 04, 2014, 11:49:18 PM »
Wow@ Prov. Game. That looked familiar!

goredmen

« Reply #2048 on: March 04, 2014, 11:50:49 PM »
Providence wins another game thanks to forcing a turnover on a shooter off of an inbounds pass. Amazing

SJUFAN

« Reply #2049 on: March 05, 2014, 12:07:16 AM »

Cooley has done a really good job with this team. In late situations other teams are trying to get the ball to their best free through shooter expecting the foul, Cooley has his teams tie them up when they have the possession arrow. That's twice now that the player didn't even attempt to make a basketball move, just went into fetal position.

Tiger

« Reply #2050 on: March 05, 2014, 07:45:20 AM »
  Wow!!!  The new Big East is a really exciting basketball league.  The people that got these teams to commit, did an excellent job.  During the last week of the season, every game has relevance to the NCAA tournament.  I am not sure we could have said that with last year's league.  Hopefully, the competitiveness continues for years to come.  Unfortunately, once the NCAA tournament reaches the final four weekend (and maybe sooner),  there will be no reference to the "Big East" until November 2014.  That's a long period of dormancy and irrelevance.  Another sport needs to be hyped and it won't be football.

hnk

« Reply #2051 on: March 05, 2014, 08:47:37 AM »
It seems an amazing number of games are buzzer beaters or go to overtime...they should use the end of games in some of their marketing.  We were involved on the wrong side in a few too many.

paultzman

« Reply #2052 on: March 05, 2014, 09:21:33 AM »

Cooley has done a really good job with this team. In late situations other teams are trying to get the ball to their best free through shooter expecting the foul, Cooley has his teams tie them up when they have the possession arrow. That's twice now that the player didn't even attempt to make a basketball move, just went into fetal position.

Interesting & smart;

@FriarFrenzy: AC Bob Simon on last night's radio post gm w @JRbroadcaster & Joe Hassett said told refs in last TO they were not fouling right away. #pcbb

« Reply #2053 on: March 06, 2014, 09:54:17 AM »

First of all in theory conference record is not a consideration of the committee. Obviously it's entirely subjective and people can consider whatever they want, but I don't believe it's on the stat sheet they're provided.

Second of all. Yes Nova is playing for seeding to an extent, but I think they're pretty locked into a 2 seed(They only have 1 top 25 RPI win and only 4 top 50 wins I don't see how you can give them a 1 seed) and playing for seeding is very little motivation especially compared to playing for your NCAA lives. In addition assuming a win tonight Nova will have the BE title locked up before our game so again very little motivation. Nova is also on spring break so there will be less students than usual at the game. Georgetown also has a better record @ Nova under JT3 than it does at home vs. Nova. I would not be surprised by a win @ Nova at all.

DFF6

« Reply #2054 on: March 06, 2014, 10:04:38 AM »

First of all in theory conference record is not a consideration of the committee. Obviously it's entirely subjective and people can consider whatever they want, but I don't believe it's on the stat sheet they're provided.

Second of all. Yes Nova is playing for seeding to an extent, but I think they're pretty locked into a 2 seed(They only have 1 top 25 RPI win and only 4 top 50 wins I don't see how you can give them a 1 seed) and playing for seeding is very little motivation especially compared to playing for your NCAA lives. In addition assuming a win tonight Nova will have the BE title locked up before our game so again very little motivation. Nova is also on spring break so there will be less students than usual at the game. Georgetown also has a better record @ Nova under JT3 than it does at home vs. Nova. I would not be surprised by a win @ Nova at all.

As much as it pains me, I have been thinking along these lines too, Hoyahooligan.  If your team takes out Nova on their court, I don't think you need more than 1 win in the BET to make the dance.

« Reply #2055 on: March 06, 2014, 09:27:43 PM »

So you are counting on them ignoring an 8-10 record and Villanova not showing up.  Good news...LOL!!!

« Reply #2056 on: March 06, 2014, 09:28:34 PM »
BTW-Villanova won the outright BE crown tonight at Xavier.

8-1 on the road is a tremendous job by Jay.

Marillac

« Reply #2057 on: March 07, 2014, 11:53:50 AM »
BTW-Villanova won the outright BE crown tonight at Xavier.

8-1 on the road is a tremendous job by Jay.

Nobody could have done better.  Great, great job.

paultzman

« Reply #2058 on: March 07, 2014, 12:14:25 PM »

« Reply #2059 on: March 07, 2014, 01:24:15 PM »
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 01:44:27 PM by fordham96 »