Around Big East

• 3954 replies

MCNPA

Re: around the big east
« Reply #440 on: January 28, 2013, 04:29:07 PM »
“@PSBasketball: RT @goodmancbs: Louisville desperately needs win tonight vs. Pitt -- Cards will be without Blackshear (shoulder) and Kevin Ware (suspension)”

Id prefer Pitt moves to the top of the league and then we beat them at home... ;)

paultzman

« Reply #441 on: January 28, 2013, 08:03:08 PM »
Not a big loss in terms of his contribution, but makes a thin bench thinner. Southerland is needed badly. Cuse is very vulnerable without him.

“@PSBasketball: Syracuse freshman Dajuan Coleman to have surgery on left knee Tuesday. Recovery expected to take four weeks.”

« Reply #442 on: January 28, 2013, 08:57:22 PM »
Louisville is gonna have a hard time winning if Siva and Russ Smith keep playing like they hate each other.  Neither one wants to pass the ball to the other.

paultzman

« Reply #443 on: January 28, 2013, 09:03:59 PM »
L'Ville beats Pitt by 3. Pitino did a good job juggling lineup being so short handed. Dieng was great.

« Reply #444 on: January 28, 2013, 09:27:30 PM »
L'Ville beats Pitt by 3. Pitino did a good job juggling lineup being so short handed. Dieng was great.

Can't believe how good of a passer dieng is.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

MCNPA

« Reply #445 on: January 28, 2013, 09:30:04 PM »

Can't believe how good of a passer dieng is.

Dieng was nothing like this a few years ago. I hope Obekpa can continue to work to be half as good as Dieng on the offensive end.  With time and hard work he can improve a ton though.  Dieng is a good example.

Tiznow

« Reply #446 on: January 28, 2013, 09:30:39 PM »
Is it OK to comment on WVU in this thread.  Man, they are looking more and more like the new BC.

« Reply #447 on: January 28, 2013, 09:42:49 PM »
Is it OK to comment on WVU in this thread.  Man, they are looking more and more like the new BC.

Haha you beat me to this exact post. Enjoy the Big 12 Huggy Bear! He's gonna go through 50 sweatsuits this year at this rate

« Reply #448 on: January 28, 2013, 09:47:23 PM »
Not to get off big east topic, but gonna compare wvu to sju that got in tourney in 2002. If I remember correctly a lot of people questioned if we should got in that yr like wvu last year. I'm not saying wvu gonna go in tank cause of sanctions but I could see them spiraling down like sju did for yrs to come especially if huggy bear calls it quits. Wvu is not exactly a hot bed in recruiting world as most of their success hindered on NYC talent and now that they are not playing in garden anymore the allure of metro area recruits could dwindle

« Reply #449 on: January 28, 2013, 09:52:47 PM »
As we criticize WVU, they go on a nice little run to make this a game vs Kansas. Self must have let Norm call a few plays there...

« Reply #450 on: January 28, 2013, 10:05:41 PM »

They looked like an episode of Buck Wild there before they started to pull it together.  IMO I don't think they'll be as good as the were the last few years for a while now.

RedVet

« Reply #451 on: January 28, 2013, 10:23:50 PM »
Not to get off big east topic, but gonna compare wvu to sju that got in tourney in 2002. If I remember correctly a lot of people questioned if we should got in that yr like wvu last year. I'm not saying wvu gonna go in tank cause of sanctions but I could see them spiraling down like sju did for yrs to come especially if huggy bear calls it quits. Wvu is not exactly a hot bed in recruiting world as most of their success hindered on NYC talent and now that they are not playing in garden anymore the allure of metro area recruits could dwindle

Don't know what "hindered" means, but agree with the essence of your post: fewer NYC kids are going to be attracted to West Virginia now that they're in the SEC. It's run its cycle.

Poison

« Reply #452 on: January 28, 2013, 10:28:24 PM »

Don't know what "hindered" means, but agree with the essence of your post: fewer NYC kids are going to be attracted to West Virginia now that they're in the SEC. It's run its cycle.

SEC or Big 12? So hard to keep up w this crap. It changes so often. Penalty for leaving the BE should have been the death penalty. Hopefully, they've learned their lesson.

« Reply #453 on: January 28, 2013, 11:19:13 PM »
Probably meant to type "hinged."  Auto correct is a bitch

MCNPA

« Reply #454 on: January 29, 2013, 08:34:21 AM »

Plus Huggy bear is overdue for some sort of incident pretty soon.    ;)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 08:34:53 AM by MCNPA »

« Reply #455 on: January 29, 2013, 08:51:12 AM »

They would have struggled this year whether in the Big East or not look at the decline they have been on.  He is great coach but he needs to infuse some big time talent back at Morgantown or they are going to be mediocre for awhile.  See below for recent conference records:

2009-10: 13-5 BE Tourney champs and Final Four.

2010-11: 11-7 5th seed in NCAA Tourney, won 1st round.

2011-12: 9-9 squeeze into NCAA's as a 11th seed and get smoked in first round by Gonzaga.

2012-13: 8-10 overall, 2-5 in Big 12. 

Notice an obvious trend?  Sort of like Villanova the last few years under Jay.  WVU lost guys like Da'Sean Butler,  Devin Ebanks, Kevin Jones, Flowers, Truck Bryant etc over those 3 years and he has not adequately replaced them.

Like Jay he is a good coach but this is how quickly things can go in the other direction especially if recruiting goes in the wrong direction for a year or 2.

DFF6

« Reply #456 on: January 29, 2013, 09:05:13 AM »

They would have struggled this year whether in the Big East or not look at the decline they have been on.  He is great coach but he needs to infuse some big time talent back at Morgantown or they are going to be mediocre for awhile.  See below for recent conference records:

2009-10: 13-5 BE Tourney champs and Final Four.

2010-11: 11-7 5th seed in NCAA Tourney, won 1st round.

2011-12: 9-9 squeeze into NCAA's as a 11th seed and get smoked in first round by Gonzaga.

2012-13: 8-10 overall, 2-5 in Big 12. 

Notice an obvious trend?  Sort of like Villanova the last few years under Jay.  WVU lost guys like Da'Sean Butler,  Devin Ebanks, Kevin Jones, Flowers, Truck Bryant etc over those 3 years and he has not adequately replaced them.

Like Jay he is a good coach but this is how quickly things can go in the other direction especially if recruiting goes in the wrong direction for a year or 2.

No program (except maybe Duke) is immune to the occassional lulls caused by early depatures and weak recruiting classes.  For example, UNC is on the ropes this year with a young team.  And FWIW, Nova is one of the hottest team in the country right now.  Wouldn't be shocked if they finish strong and make the tourney given their remaining schedule, including games against Prov, Hall, Rutgers, USF, DePaul, Pitt and UConn.

redslope

« Reply #457 on: January 29, 2013, 10:47:52 AM »

I agree with the BC reference; particularly the more removed from the BE.  When in the BE, they recruited a lot of NY area kids with the ability to say that they would get to play in front of the home folks (4 schools they vist were close-us , SH, RU, Conn and Nove a short train/car ride plus the tournament).  Now WVU is THE East in their conference.  Good luck in recruiting so kids parents and friends in OK, Kan. Iowa and Tex can see their kids.  At least they will get the money from the FB TV contract and have the nearest away game a mere 800 miles WEST.  They will reap what they sow--nothing grows in WV :)

paultzman

« Reply #458 on: January 29, 2013, 03:20:15 PM »
“@MattSugam: #Rutgers' Wally Judge @Judge_me_now tells @SNYtv he could have a lingering knee issue for the rest of the year: http://t.co/kZwCzK0U #RHoops”

paultzman

« Reply #459 on: January 30, 2013, 11:55:04 AM »
Honest appraisal of Marquette record by fan blog. Should put our record in perspective as well IMO.

“@PaintTouches: New to PT: 6-1 in the Big East is nice, but this is what you should know about Marquette's schedule: http://t.co/Hheja3TU … #mubb”