Around Big East

• 3954 replies
Re: around the big east
« Reply #1480 on: November 16, 2013, 03:09:39 PM »
And Marquette will regroup and be a good team.  But they went 12 minutes in the 2nd half without a FG at home.  12 MINUTES. 

The consensus best team in the conference won't break the 40 point barrier at home.  And with 8 minutes left in the game had 26 TOTAL points.

And we are constantly nitpicking about SJU 2 freaking games into the year.

« Reply #1481 on: November 16, 2013, 03:11:54 PM »
@tsnmike: Bill Raftery on his new home, his old (new) league and his future http://t.co/gV8wg6Q9V0

SN: What about St. Johns? You’ve watched them since Steve Lavin took over, the progress in recruiting and the setback when he was ill.

Raftery: To me, they could win it all in the league. I just think there are so many key things: Defensively, getting these talented kids to get after it. (D’Angelo) Harrison’s attitude, which has been good so far; Rysheed Jordan, everyone says he’s been the real deal running the team.

If they can guard—they’ve got size and they’ve got backcourt play—they could be terrific. They’re good, it’s just a matter of a mindset at this point. Steve is healthy and looks much better. He’s got the old spunk back.

So, basically Bill Raftery, one of the most respected basketball announcers in the game, just said that we have to hustle on d.

That is why I am not worried about the offense or the 3 pt shooting yet.  They need to understand how important each possession is and the importance of guarding people.

Why do juniors and seniors not understand how importance it is to hustle on d?

Going hard all the time and playing D like you are playing for your last drop of water.  That will be the difference between SJU being a pretty good team or an elite team ranked throughout the year.  That is what Raft meant.

boo3

« Reply #1482 on: November 16, 2013, 03:12:20 PM »
And Marquette will regroup and be a good team.  But they went 12 minutes in the 2nd half without a FG at home.  12 MINUTES. 

The consensus best team in the conference won't break the 40 point barrier at home.  And with 8 minutes left in the game had 26 TOTAL points.

And we are constantly nitpicking about SJU 2 freaking games into the year.

Yes, but their players don't curse...

Moose

« Reply #1483 on: November 16, 2013, 03:47:29 PM »
Marquette struggling today against Ohio State. As  folks have pointed out previously, M'Q has some weaknesses in backcourt. Craft, that annoying, pesky OS guard has taken them to task today. M'Q is down 20 with five minutes to go. Buzz has sweated through five shirts.

Marquette is 1-16 from 3 pt shooting today.

BTW-If you go back to the Final 8 game last year when they lost to Syracuse 55-39 Marquette has 69 points TOTAL right now COMBINED against the last two ranked teams they have played.

Keep also in mind Marquette is by anyone's standard the pre-season top BE team and currently the only ranked BE team.  And that will probably change after today which means the BE won't have any ranked teams.

Keep this in mind in 3 early mathcups, SJU/Wisconsin, Georgetown/Oregon and now OSU/Marquette the new BE is 0-3.

Don't get me wrong I am a big supporter of this new conference.  But we have a LONG way to go before it is on the level of the Big 10 or ACC.  A LONG way to go.

The new conference is pulling in top level recruits at the same or better level than those conferences you mentioned though.  So what gives then?  The coaches not up to par?
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #1484 on: November 16, 2013, 04:52:43 PM »
@jeffborzello: OVERTIME in Seton Hall-Mercer.

paultzman

« Reply #1485 on: November 16, 2013, 05:31:20 PM »
@CerasolisGhost: FINAL: Mercer 77, Seton Hall 74. Brian Oliver rims out tying shot at buzzer.

@NJHoopsHaven: Seton Hall wasted a career-high 35 points from Fuquan Edwin and lost in double OT at fiesty Mercer.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 05:33:40 PM by paultzman »

Poison

« Reply #1486 on: November 16, 2013, 05:37:23 PM »
@tsnmike: Bill Raftery on his new home, his old (new) league and his future http://t.co/gV8wg6Q9V0

SN: What about St. Johns? You’ve watched them since Steve Lavin took over, the progress in recruiting and the setback when he was ill.

Raftery: To me, they could win it all in the league. I just think there are so many key things: Defensively, getting these talented kids to get after it. (D’Angelo) Harrison’s attitude, which has been good so far; Rysheed Jordan, everyone says he’s been the real deal running the team.

If they can guard—they’ve got size and they’ve got backcourt play—they could be terrific. They’re good, it’s just a matter of a mindset at this point. Steve is healthy and looks much better. He’s got the old spunk back.

So, basically Bill Raftery, one of the most respected basketball announcers in the game, just said that we have to hustle on d.

That is why I am not worried about the offense or the 3 pt shooting yet.  They need to understand how important each possession is and the importance of guarding people.

Why do juniors and seniors not understand how importance it is to hustle on d?

Going hard all the time and playing D like you are playing for your last drop of water.  That will be the difference between SJU being a pretty good team or an elite team ranked throughout the year.  That is what Raft meant.

I agree. I would like to see us play like that.

« Reply #1487 on: November 16, 2013, 07:23:56 PM »
Marquette struggling today against Ohio State. As  folks have pointed out previously, M'Q has some weaknesses in backcourt. Craft, that annoying, pesky OS guard has taken them to task today. M'Q is down 20 with five minutes to go. Buzz has sweated through five shirts.

BTW-If you go back to the Final 8 game last year when they lost to Syracuse 55-39 Marquette has 69 points TOTAL right now COMBINED against the last two ranked teams they have played.

Keep also in mind Marquette is by anyone's standard the pre-season top BE team and currently the only ranked BE team.  And that will probably change after today which means the BE won't have any ranked teams.

Keep this in mind in 3 early mathcups, SJU/Wisconsin, Georgetown/Oregon and now OSU/Marquette the new BE is 0-3.

Don't get me wrong I am a big supporter of this new conference.  But we have a LONG way to go before it is on the level of the Big 10 or ACC.  A LONG way to go.

The new conference is pulling in top level recruits at the same or better level than those conferences you mentioned though.  So what gives then?  The coaches not up to par?

I would be careful about TOP level recruits.  Yes they are pulling in a good number of top 100 but how many are top 50, top 25?  Seton Hall had to hire a high school coach to get one.

Meanwhile you saw how the top recruits broke yesterday, Duke and Kansas and Louisville.

It was my argument over the summer about the Big East having all these top 60 teams.  Great, but how many are top 10 to top 15.  1 or none meanwhile the Big 10 and the ACC have 4-5 EACH.  So the BE may have as many top 60 teams the truth is they don't have any elite programs right now.

Moose

« Reply #1488 on: November 16, 2013, 07:42:50 PM »

I would be careful about TOP level recruits.  Yes they are pulling in a good number of top 100 but how many are top 50, top 25?  Seton Hall had to hire a high school coach to get one.

Meanwhile you saw how the top recruits broke yesterday, Duke and Kansas and Louisville.

It was my argument over the summer about the Big East having all these top 60 teams.  Great, but how many are top 10 to top 15.  1 or none meanwhile the Big 10 and the ACC have 4-5 EACH.  So the BE may have as many top 60 teams the truth is they don't have any elite programs right now.

Always been the case though.  While there have been some basketball only schools that made the Final Four or won championships in the last 30 years its still the vast minority.

« Reply #1489 on: November 16, 2013, 08:09:19 PM »

Always been the case though.  While there have been some basketball only schools that made the Final Four or won championships in the last 30 years its still the vast minority.

Precisely my point from months earlier.  The Catholic schools needed to bolt but don't kid yourself into thinking that losing Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, UCONN, ND and replacing them with Xavier and Butler is an equal swap.

Geez wait til the ACC gets Louisville next year.  They will have arguably 4 of the top 10 most prestigious programs in the country. Cuse, Ville, UNC and Duke.

Throw in Pitt and and that is probably 5 of the top 15 jobs in America in 1 conference.

paultzman

« Reply #1490 on: November 16, 2013, 08:10:35 PM »
@sjnard: #sjuhawks
Halftime
Creighton 40
St Joseph's 45
McDermott 8 points

@sjnard: #SJUHawks
SJU led Creighton by as many as 13.
Half SJU 45, Creighton 40.
Galloway, Wilson and Roberts all 9 pts.
McDermott 8 pts, (2-5 FG)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 08:12:35 PM by paultzman »

paultzman

« Reply #1491 on: November 16, 2013, 09:20:46 PM »
@JonRothstein: Final score --- Creighton 83 St. Joe's 79....

McD nailed a late jumper, was fouled & made FT.

« Reply #1492 on: November 17, 2013, 11:58:58 AM »

Precisely my point from months earlier.  The Catholic schools needed to bolt but don't kid yourself into thinking that losing Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, UCONN, ND and replacing them with Xavier and Butler is an equal swap.

Geez wait til the ACC gets Louisville next year.  They will have arguably 4 of the top 10 most prestigious programs in the country. Cuse, Ville, UNC and Duke.

Throw in Pitt and and that is probably 5 of the top 15 jobs in America in 1 conference.

Pitt a top 15 job in america? I'll have to disagree.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Moose

« Reply #1493 on: November 17, 2013, 11:59:42 AM »

+1

Poison

« Reply #1494 on: November 17, 2013, 12:26:09 PM »

Pittsburgh isn't even the top job in their state.

« Reply #1495 on: November 17, 2013, 06:21:19 PM »

Debateable but hard to argue with facitlities and recent success.

Think about this from 2002 thru 2011, 10 straight years Pitt was arguably the best program in the best conference in America.   They had more league wins, more league regular season championships, more appearances in the conference championship games and 10 straight NCAA Tourney appearances.  No one in the BE could touch that.  And a tremendous home court.  The Peterson Center is a tremendous on campus facility.

Name me a program in the BE that is a better job then Pitt?  Seriously.  Maybe Georgetown, maybe. 

« Reply #1496 on: November 17, 2013, 06:29:29 PM »
If I had to name the top 15 college basketball jobs in America I think it is safe to name these 14 in no specific order:

ACC-Duke, North Carolina, Syracuse, Louisville (will join soon)

Big 10-Ohio St, Indiana, Michigan St, Michigan

Big 12-Kansas, Texas

Pac 12-Arizona and UCLA

SEC-Kentucky and Florida

That is 14 programs.  The 15th I would throw schools like UCONN, Pitt, Maryland, Wisconsin, maybe Georgetown.   A few years ago Pitt and UCONN would have been locks.  And when Gary Williams left Maryland everyone from Goodman to Vitale called MD a top 10 job.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 06:39:22 PM by fordham96 »

MCNPA

« Reply #1497 on: November 17, 2013, 07:30:46 PM »
If I had to name the top 15 college basketball jobs in America I think it is safe to name these 14 in no specific order:

Big 12-Kansas, Texas

Pac 12-Arizona and UCLA

SEC-Kentucky and Florida

That is 14 programs.  The 15th I would throw schools like UCONN, Pitt, Maryland, Wisconsin, maybe Georgetown.   A few years ago Pitt and UCONN would have been locks.  And when Gary Williams left Maryland everyone from Goodman to Vitale called MD a top 10 job.

I agree with Maryland.  Illinois a pretty good job for the right guy as well.  Uconn IMO has lost it's luster with conference affiliation.  I don't think Pitt is right there though.  They are lumped with a ton of other programs in football towns that can afford nice facilities. 

« Reply #1498 on: November 17, 2013, 08:32:37 PM »

Big 12-Kansas, Texas

Pac 12-Arizona and UCLA

SEC-Kentucky and Florida

I agree with Maryland.  Illinois a pretty good job for the right guy as well.  Uconn IMO has lost it's luster with conference affiliation.  I don't think Pitt is right there though.  They are lumped with a ton of other programs in football towns that can afford nice facilities. 

Ask Rutgers about that.  How did their football turnaround help their basketball program?  Zip.

Pitt is a big time job now.

« Reply #1499 on: November 17, 2013, 09:06:06 PM »
rankings of conferences, according to KPI Sports (http://kpisports.wordpress.com/kpibasketball/)  (start-up website using analytics for several different type of basketball stats.  the below, i believe, is based on w/l, so take it with a grain of salt:

@GoodmanESPN @kenpomeroy #KPI by conf as of 8 ET:
1-Big Ten;
2-Big 12;
3-A-10;
4-WCC;
5-Big East;
6-Pac-12;
7-SEC;
8-American;
9-ACC;
10-MVC