Around Big East

• 3954 replies
Re: around the big east
« Reply #1600 on: December 01, 2013, 04:59:17 PM »
Gtown dismisses Whittington

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10056297/greg-whittington-georgetown-hoyas-dismissed-team
I thought lack  of size would be their achilles heel.  Shows how little I know about basketball.
You know that Wright's game is the 3-4 player perimeter offense.  They do it well.  The bigs are usually manageable enough, but you'll never see many top bigs going to Nova. 

I know that Nova is always guard-centric.  I just never really expect it to work so well.
For sure.  Arcidiacono was hurt last season, or else the wouldn't have done as poorly.

Poison

« Reply #1601 on: December 01, 2013, 04:59:50 PM »
Seton Hall loses to Fairleigh Dickinson by four. Really need Tiny Morton! FD has knocked off Rutgers & SH.

Oh, that's too bad. Shameful, really.

Nova, on the other hand is the best team in the league right now, and they should be ranked. IMO they are a top 20 team, at least.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 05:01:22 PM by Poison »

paultzman

« Reply #1602 on: December 01, 2013, 05:32:00 PM »

One guy's opinion;
@NewBigEastConf: #BigEast Power Rankings: 10 #SHBB 9 #DePaul 8 #SJBB 7 #Xavier 6 #Marquette 5 #Providence 4 #Butler 3 #Georgetown 2 #Creighton 1 #Villanova
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 05:32:39 PM by paultzman »

MCNPA

« Reply #1603 on: December 01, 2013, 07:32:47 PM »

One guy's opinion;
@NewBigEastConf: #BigEast Power Rankings: 10 #SHBB 9 #DePaul 8 #SJBB 7 #Xavier 6 #Marquette 5 #Providence 4 #Butler 3 #Georgetown 2 #Creighton 1 #Villanova

Butler lost again today.  They won't be there. Not sure who this is, but no way we are 8th with only two losses, our worst being against a solid Big Ten team in OT.  That game we should have won.  I think SJU around 5th or so.

MCNPA

« Reply #1604 on: December 01, 2013, 07:33:58 PM »
Seton Hall loses to Fairleigh Dickinson by four. Really need Tiny Morton! FD has knocked off Rutgers & SH.

Oh, that's too bad. Shameful, really.

Nova, on the other hand is the best team in the league right now, and they should be ranked. IMO they are a top 20 team, at least.

Nova should be top 15 at minimum.  Agree they are the cream right now, and that's good for the conference.

« Reply #1605 on: December 01, 2013, 07:47:35 PM »

One guy's opinion;

Butler lost again today.  They won't be there. Not sure who this is, but no way we are 8th with only two losses, our worst being against a solid Big Ten team in OT.  That game we should have won.  I think SJU around 5th or so.

I am actually impressed with Butler so far.  Playing without the kid Roosevelt Jones I expected them to be a disaster and they have been pretty good.  Took Okie St to the wire with a chance to take the lead at the line late before losing and then losing to LSU in OT today. 

« Reply #1606 on: December 01, 2013, 08:23:10 PM »

One guy's opinion;

Wasn't Penn St picked like 11th in the BIG 10? Why do some call them a solid BIG 10 team. I know pre season predictions are not dispositive on how good a team will be and I am not saying maybe they won't do well but how at this point can they be called a solid BIG 10 team? Because they beat us?

MCNPA

« Reply #1607 on: December 01, 2013, 08:30:59 PM »

One guy's opinion;

I am actually impressed with Butler so far.  Playing without the kid Roosevelt Jones I expected them to be a disaster and they have been pretty good.  Took Okie St to the wire with a chance to take the lead at the line late before losing and then losing to LSU in OT today. 

Definitely a solid team.  They had a lead for much of the game on LSU.  I too think they'll be competitive.  They're well coached and young.  Not denigrating them, just that they are somewhere in the middle and likely aren't in top few due to recent, even though narrow losses.  I still love them as a member of the Big East and they'll be a headache for teams all season.

MCNPA

« Reply #1608 on: December 01, 2013, 09:06:57 PM »
Providence needs to stop playing scared against UK.  They're certainly a talented group at uk, but Providence feeding into it.  Providence  could be even right now... 

« Reply #1609 on: December 01, 2013, 09:20:24 PM »
Creighton just bit it against GW.  McDermott was 2-12.

« Reply #1610 on: December 01, 2013, 09:33:15 PM »
Providence looking very capable tonight. Think they are the ahead of us at this point.

MCNPA

« Reply #1611 on: December 01, 2013, 09:47:03 PM »
Providence looking very capable tonight. Think they are the ahead of us at this point.

Hard to say.  They aren't playing scared at this point any more.  They have a lot of talent at Providence.  I think we are pretty evenly matched actually, but you're right, they may be ahead a little bit with their inside game offensively.  Derosiers is a big help for them at his height.  He's second best shotblocker in conference to Obekpa.  I want to see em win this game though.  Cauley-Stein is the difference maker here.  Without him, Providence would be ahead.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 09:49:16 PM by MCNPA »

MCNPA

« Reply #1612 on: December 01, 2013, 09:52:09 PM »
Providence getting screwed a bit in this game with fouls IMO.  Getting touch fouls called, yet uk has to mug them to get a call.

« Reply #1613 on: December 01, 2013, 09:57:56 PM »

Based on what?  So because they play a decent half against a Kentucky team that really has not look good at all this year including trailing Cleveland St by 10 with 7 minutes to play at home is somehow evidence they are good.

They  beat BC in OT, a BC team that opened the season 0-3.  They beat Brown by 4.  Brown is who?  They lost to a Maryland team, scoring a grand total of 52 points, that lost at home to Oregon St.  An Oregon St team that has a home loss to Coppin St and now a blowout loss on the road to...DePaul...

I love SJU fans.  They critique the hell out of SJU and then watch another team for 5 minutes and they are not only experts on those teams but already to make judgements on where SJU fits 6-7 games into the season.

Poison

« Reply #1614 on: December 01, 2013, 10:03:45 PM »

Based on what?  So because they play a decent half against a Kentucky team that really has not look good at all this year including trailing Cleveland St by 10 with 7 minutes to play at home is somehow evidence they are good.

They  beat BC in OT, a BC team that opened the season 0-3.  They beat Brown by 4.  Brown is who?  They lost to a Maryland team, scoring a grand total of 52 points, that lost at home to Oregon St.  An Oregon St team that has a home loss to Coppin St and now a blowout loss on the road to...DePaul...

I love SJU fans.  They critique the hell out of SJU and then watch another team for 5 minutes and they are not only experts on those teams but already to make judgements on where SJU fits 6-7 games into the season.

So you're saying we can form a reasonable judgement on Providence because of the competition they've played thus far? Gotchya. But just don't do that regarding Penn State, because you "can't do that".

Glad we cleared that up. Explain something else to us why don't you?

« Reply #1615 on: December 01, 2013, 10:05:28 PM »
And let me be clear I am not knocking Providence.  I think Cooley has done a real nice job there challenging the mediocrity that has been PC basketball.

But I am just fascinated by SJU fans who are so quick to judge SJU when they beat an underwhelming opponent by 18 but then want to crown a fellow BE team because they only "trail" and overhyped UK team by 4 at halftime.

If you watched SHU play Oklahoma you would say the same thing.  Then if you watched them today you would think they belong in the MAAC.

How about Butler?  I can tell you Oklahoma St is BETTER then Kentucky right now.  Not close quite frankly.  So is Wisconsin.  UK may be real good at the end of the year but right now they are not a top 5 team.  They are hyped that way because of their class NOT because they have played like it.

MCNPA

« Reply #1616 on: December 01, 2013, 10:06:21 PM »

So you're saying we can form a reasonable judgement on Providence because of the competition they've played thus far? Gotchya. But just don't do that regarding Penn State, because you "can't do that".

Fwiw, for the most part, Providence defense is worse than ours.  It has been since Cooley took over.  They need help there even more than we do.

« Reply #1617 on: December 01, 2013, 10:07:43 PM »

Read my next post and I explained it guy. Personally I don't think either team has been particularly impressive which also makes my point.

And good for you I will be here to explain things so you don't wallow in your own ignorance.

boo3

« Reply #1618 on: December 01, 2013, 10:11:04 PM »
And let me be clear I am not knocking Providence.  I think Cooley has done a real nice job there challenging the mediocrity that has been PC basketball.

But I am just fascinated by SJU fans who are so quick to judge SJU when they beat an underwhelming opponent by 18 but then want to crown a fellow BE team because they only "trail" and overhyped UK team by 4 at halftime.

If you watched SHU play Oklahoma you would say the same thing.  Then if you watched them today you would think they belong in the MAAC.

How about Butler?  I can tell you Oklahoma St is BETTER then Kentucky right now.  Not close quite frankly.  So is Wisconsin.  UK may be real good at the end of the year but right now they are not a top 5 team.  They are hyped that way because of their class NOT because they have played like it.

Hahaha

Lenn Robbins ‏@LennRobbins 2m
If @johncalipari can get @KentuckyMBB to play defense like this for 6 games in March-April you're looking at the NCAA champ

« Reply #1619 on: December 01, 2013, 10:12:33 PM »
My overall point has little to do with if you think SJU is living up to there hype or not.  I am personally not happy with the loss to PSU.

It just seems some of you will literally INVENT reasons to criticize SJU with non-sensical posts that are not researched and quite frankly fall flat.

I don't believe in judging a team by a few games I sure as hell don't think you can judge a program because of a few minutes.

My God if that is the case then most of the BE is behind Cleveland St....
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 10:13:30 PM by fordham96 »