Around Big East

• 3954 replies
Re: around the big east
« Reply #1660 on: December 06, 2013, 01:19:57 AM »
Was that Rhody's on campus home court arena? If so I'm jealous!

Dont be, the place is usually like a library

« Reply #1661 on: December 07, 2013, 09:48:35 PM »
Marquette lost today to Wisconsin on the road 70-64.  No shame in that certainly as Wisconsin is the real thing.  Not only is Wisconsin undefeated but they have wins over SJU, Florida, St. Louis, Virginia and now Marquette.  That is some resume ALREADY.

But Marquette essentially went 0-4 in marquee games this year: Ohio St, Arizona St, San Diego St and Wisconsin.

No shame in any of those losses as the Ohio St game was the only game at home and Buzz is such a good coach that he should have them ready come BE season but your pre-season favorite has 4 losses already.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #1662 on: December 07, 2013, 10:05:33 PM »
Marquette lost today to Wisconsin on the road 70-64.  No shame in that certainly as Wisconsin is the real thing.  Not only is Wisconsin undefeated but they have wins over SJU, Florida, St. Louis, Virginia and now Marquette.  That is some resume ALREADY.

But Marquette essentially went 0-4 in marquee games this year: Ohio St, Arizona St, San Diego St and Wisconsin.

No shame in any of those losses as the Ohio St game was the only game at home and Buzz is such a good coach that he should have them ready come BE season but your pre-season favorite has 4 losses already.

The question is what is the line between a tough scheduled to being a fool for scheduling such a hard OOC schedule?
Cougar O' Malley

paultzman

« Reply #1663 on: December 07, 2013, 10:35:10 PM »
Todd Mayo of Marquette has been suspended indefinitely for team rules violation. Another head case!

paultzman

« Reply #1664 on: December 09, 2013, 12:12:32 PM »
@AdamZagoria: Doug McDermott named Big East Player of the Week...Xavier's Myles Davis Rookie of the Week

Davis is former St. Peter's of Jersey City teammate of Ron Roberts.

paultzman

« Reply #1665 on: December 09, 2013, 12:21:29 PM »
@AdamZagoria: Sterling Gibbs, Dom Pointer, JayVaughn Pinkston, Semaj Christon and Kellen Dunham all made the Big East honor roll

Moose

« Reply #1666 on: December 09, 2013, 08:05:51 PM »
Why is Butler playing a D3 team ?
Remember who broke the Slice news

gman

« Reply #1667 on: December 09, 2013, 08:30:53 PM »

Baylor also played one last week.

paultzman

« Reply #1668 on: December 10, 2013, 02:39:29 PM »
@JeffEisenberg: Two ACC teams headline my list of the nation's most disappointing teams so far. http://t.co/cQIbEAp779

4. Marquette (5-4)

Four times, Marquette has had a chance this season to notch a marquee win. Each time, the Golden Eagles have come up short. Losses against Ohio State, Arizona State, San Diego State and Wisconsin have exposed the fact that Marquette is not yet at the level expected when the Golden Eagles were anointed preseason favorites in the Big East.

They have not been quite as formidable as usual defensively and they're not getting nearly enough perimeter scoring to complement a strong frontcourt. With Vander Blue turning pro a year earlier than expected and highly touted freshman Duane Wilson out with a stress fracture, Marquette has lacked scoring punch. Derrick Wilson is a solid defensive-minded point guard better suited for the backup role than a starting job and Todd Mayo remains erratic and prone to mistakes off the floor that land him in the dog house. Jake Thomas is the team's lone outside shooting threat, but he doesn't bring much else and he hasn't been hitting consistently from behind the arc either.

All hope is not lost since Marquette has faced a challenging schedule, but the backcourt play must improve for the Eagles to get where they hope to be by March.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 02:43:38 PM by paultzman »

Poison

« Reply #1669 on: December 10, 2013, 09:37:45 PM »
Seton Hall is hanging tough w NJIT. Two evenly matched teams.

MCNPA

« Reply #1670 on: December 10, 2013, 09:42:25 PM »

Well hope the Hall wins it.  We need our league to represent and win these types of games that we should win. 

Poison

« Reply #1671 on: December 10, 2013, 09:49:16 PM »

Well hope the Hall wins it.  We need our league to represent and win these types of games that we should win. 

I think we are well past that stage. They lost to FDU. This is not a resume builder opponent. Seton Hall will probably be better next year provided everything works out with their shady recruiting.

RedVet

« Reply #1672 on: December 10, 2013, 10:20:14 PM »
Hate the Hall, but they are playing without two key forecourt players, Edwin (their star) and Auda ... although freshman Sterling Gibbs seems to be their best player. The kid's play -- not just his numbers -- has been very impressive to date..

MCNPA

« Reply #1673 on: December 10, 2013, 10:49:50 PM »

I think we are well past that stage. They lost to FDU. This is not a resume builder opponent. Seton Hall will probably be better next year provided everything works out with their shady recruiting.

Even with their recruiting, they are going to be graduating Edwin, Teague, Oliver and Geramipoor.  I thought they were losing Auda too but think he might be a junior.  We've also heard some questions on whether Delgado will meet eligibility from some of he pundits here.  I think they still might have a tough time transitioning.

Poison

« Reply #1674 on: December 10, 2013, 11:02:29 PM »
Hate the Hall, but they are playing without two key forecourt players, Edwin (their star) and Auda ... although freshman Sterling Gibbs seems to be their best player. The kid's play -- not just his numbers -- has been very impressive to date..

Gibbs is solid. Agreed. He's not a freshman, but he's solid. As far as injuries are concerned, it is just the way things have gone there since they fired Gonzo.

Poison

« Reply #1675 on: December 10, 2013, 11:04:10 PM »

Even with their recruiting, they are going to be graduating Edwin, Teague, Oliver and Geramipoor.  I thought they were losing Auda too but think he might be a junior.  We've also heard some questions on whether Delgado will meet eligibility from some of he pundits here.  I think they still might have a tough time transitioning.

I think Teague is fine. Slow, but strong. Edwin is fine as well, but the rest are garbage.

MCNPA

« Reply #1676 on: December 10, 2013, 11:25:07 PM »

I think Teague is fine. Slow, but strong. Edwin is fine as well, but the rest are garbage.

Edwin is an All Big East player.  Not only excellent defender but good shooter too.  Teague is a very crafty scorer and rebounder.  Neither will be easily replaceable.  Oliver will also be missed.  He's averaging over 10ppg right now and shooting 42% from 3.  They will be losing 3 of their biggest contributors.  Most of their big recruits are at the guard position where they will be a bit logjammed.  Very little of the talent they are bringing in thus far are legitimate frontcourt prospects. 

Moose

« Reply #1677 on: December 11, 2013, 08:05:41 AM »
Last night was Mayaan's last game with the team.  Has to go back to Israel to fulfill military obligations
Remember who broke the Slice news

RedVet

« Reply #1678 on: December 11, 2013, 11:05:48 AM »
Last night was Mayaan's last game with the team.  Has to go back to Israel to fulfill military obligations

His 2 ppg and TOs will be sorely missed.

RedVet

« Reply #1679 on: December 11, 2013, 11:08:10 AM »

Gibbs is solid. Agreed. He's not a freshman, but he's solid. As far as injuries are concerned, it is just the way things have gone there since they fired Gonzo.

Poison, I stand corrected about Gibbs' status. Keep forgetting he's a Texas transfer, mainly because he didn't see much PT there.