Around Big East

• 3954 replies
Re: around the big east
« Reply #1720 on: December 14, 2013, 10:28:12 PM »
I love it.  Xavier is destroying Cincinnati right now.  33-14 and at the line shooting two.  Hope they keep the foot on the gas.
nice !  but you should be watching frosty right now :)

How about Frosty Returns with Jonathan Winters!!!!
I'm not a big fan of the one that's on right now. The claymation christmas ones are my favorite. Rudolph and the year without a santa claus. Then the one with the burgermeister meisterburger and then charlie brown then the original frosty.

I'm 43 and I watch these literally every year. lol

100%

1) Rudolph  2) Frosty 3) Santa Claus is Coming to Town (Burgermeister Burger) 4) Charlie Brown

Good list but you gotta throw the Grinch in there

« Reply #1721 on: December 14, 2013, 10:36:36 PM »
I love it.  Xavier is destroying Cincinnati right now.  33-14 and at the line shooting two.  Hope they keep the foot on the gas.

Xavier wins the Crosstown Rivalry by 17. 

BTW-I always liked Mick Cronin and his teams are always tough and know how to defend.  But man they can be hard to watch offensively sometimes.  No flow, bad shot selection and low percentage shooting.  They play a lot of ugly basketball even when they win.

« Reply #1722 on: December 14, 2013, 10:56:31 PM »
nice !  but you should be watching frosty right now :)

How about Frosty Returns with Jonathan Winters!!!!
I'm not a big fan of the one that's on right now. The claymation christmas ones are my favorite. Rudolph and the year without a santa claus. Then the one with the burgermeister meisterburger and then charlie brown then the original frosty.

I'm 43 and I watch these literally every year. lol

100%

1) Rudolph  2) Frosty 3) Santa Claus is Coming to Town (Burgermeister Burger) 4) Charlie Brown

Good list but you gotta throw the Grinch in there
tru dat. forgot about the grinch. thats a classic also

heck it might not be top 5 but I love that one with the baby new year kid with big ears

And another big ear one that people my generation might remember and I haven't seen it in awhile and just thought of it.   Nestor the long eared christmas donkey.

I'm going to find that one on youtube to watch it

Movie wise polar express was real good. Obviously christmas story is a classic and I watch it's a wonderful life every year
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 11:06:45 PM by mjmaherjr »

LJSA

« Reply #1723 on: December 15, 2013, 01:44:46 AM »
Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol is near the top, and Yogi's First Christmas is also very good.

MJ: Nestor is included in one of those holiday multipacks. Comes included as one of the sub movies under the main famous feature.

« Reply #1724 on: December 16, 2013, 11:36:46 AM »
Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol is near the top, and Yogi's First Christmas is also very good.

MJ: Nestor is included in one of those holiday multipacks. Comes included as one of the sub movies under the main famous feature.

Loved Yogi, but when is it ever on TV anymore?

paultzman

« Reply #1725 on: December 16, 2013, 05:39:48 PM »
Good for him.  @NJHoopsHaven: Here’s the word on Sterling Gibbs: “Hyperextension and bruised knee, out 1-2 weeks.” Best possible news for Gibbs & Seton Hall

@SterlingGibbs4: Finally leaving the doctors office with good news! Nothing serious
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 06:14:47 PM by paultzman »

LJSA

« Reply #1726 on: December 16, 2013, 07:29:00 PM »

Loved Yogi, but when is it ever on TV anymore?

It's not. I debate every year whether to pull the trigger on Amazon, then always put it off. I have two daughters so will use them as an excuse for the purchase.

Marillac

« Reply #1727 on: December 16, 2013, 08:36:08 PM »

BTW-I always liked Mick Cronin and his teams are always tough and know how to defend.  But man they can be hard to watch offensively sometimes.  No flow, bad shot selection and low percentage shooting.  They play a lot of ugly basketball even when they win.

Cronin-Roberts games were the worst.  That is probably why Roberts faired so well against Cincy. 

paultzman

« Reply #1728 on: December 17, 2013, 07:03:25 PM »
@BigEastDaily: Forgrave: Big East might be deepest conference in nation | FOX Sports on MSN http://t.co/VDbURQd6Nz

paultzman

« Reply #1729 on: December 17, 2013, 07:50:28 PM »
@KevinMcNamara33: It's an 18-3 run to close the half at Providence as Yale ties, 35-35.

GT trailing Elon by four with a minute left in first half.

« Reply #1730 on: December 17, 2013, 07:54:30 PM »
@BigEastDaily: Forgrave: Big East might be deepest conference in nation | FOX Sports on MSN http://t.co/VDbURQd6Nz
Interesting particularly as Fox has TV rights,  I took this with a grain of salt.

paultzman

« Reply #1731 on: December 17, 2013, 08:57:23 PM »
PC beats  Yale by two.

GT also in control up 9 w 2 minutes left.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 08:58:54 PM by paultzman »

MCNPA

« Reply #1732 on: December 17, 2013, 09:01:02 PM »
Interesting particularly as Fox has TV rights,  I took this with a grain of salt.

Big Ten is the deepest, but I think we could be second.  Our league will only get better IMO over next few years as well.

« Reply #1733 on: December 17, 2013, 09:09:43 PM »

Cronin-Roberts games were the worst.  That is probably why Roberts faired so well against Cincy. 
For some reason it seems to me like Kilpatrick has been playing for 10 years

« Reply #1734 on: December 17, 2013, 09:11:00 PM »

Big Ten is the deepest, but I think we could be second.  Our league will only get better IMO over next few years as well.

"We" could be...We could also be the 5th or 6th deepest.  Whereas the Big 10 and the ACC will NEVER be 5th or 6th even in bad year because they have so many programs (Mich St, Wisconsin, Ohio St, Duke UNC, Syracuse (soon to be Louisville) that you know will be Good/Great every year.

Syracuse is BETTER then any BE school including Nova.  UNC and Duke are as good as Nova and in most years they are going to better if not MUCH better.  And I have not even talked about Louisville.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 09:11:55 PM by fordham96 »

MCNPA

« Reply #1735 on: December 17, 2013, 09:15:27 PM »

"We" could be...We could also be the 5th or 6th deepest.  Whereas the Big 10 and the ACC will NEVER be 5th or 6th even in bad year because they have so many programs (Mich St, Wisconsin, Ohio St, Duke UNC, Syracuse (soon to be Louisville) that you know will be Good/Great every year.

Syracuse is BETTER then any BE school including Nova.  UNC and Duke are as good as Nova and in most years they are going to better if not MUCH better.  And I have not even talked about Louisville.

Depth is relative to the number of teams as well though Fordham, as it relates to percentage of good teams compared to teams in the league.  Not arguing that the ACC is better at the top, but after the first few, I think we have more good Big East teams. 

P.S. as we speak undefeated Pitt lost to a Cincy team that was just blown out by Xavier, 

« Reply #1736 on: December 17, 2013, 09:20:04 PM »

Depth is relative to the number of teams as well though Fordham, as it relates to percentage of good teams compared to teams in the league.  Not arguing that the ACC is better at the top, but after the first few, I think we have more good Big East teams. 

P.S. as we speak undefeated Pitt lost to a Cincy team that was just blown out by Xavier, 

Right.  2 years ago Xavier blew out Cincy as well, a CIncy team that went to the Sweet 16 and went 12-6 in the BEST conference in the country, the BE. 

And they beat Pitt by a point after Pitt missed two FT's to go up 3 in an UGLY game.  The X beat Y who then beat Z is the WORST argument known to man.  It does not work.  Do you really think Xavier goes to Pitt and would beat Pitt by 20??  Or even win the game???

And I'll say it again depth is nice, the A-10 has had depth, but you are defined by the 3-4-5 teams you can count on being really good.  The BE is not even CLOSE to that level of the Big 10 or the ACC even in a down year for them.  NOT EVEN CLOSE.

MCNPA

« Reply #1737 on: December 17, 2013, 09:25:50 PM »

Right.  2 years ago Xavier blew out Cincy as well, a CIncy team that went to the Sweet 16 and went 12-6 in the BEST conference in the country, the BE. 

And they beat Pitt by a point after Pitt missed two FT's to go up 3 in an UGLY game.  The X beat Y who then beat Z is the WORST argument known to man.  It does not work.  Do you really think Xavier goes to Pitt and would beat Pitt by 20??  Or even win the game???

And I'll say it again depth is nice, the A-10 has had depth, but you are defined by the 3-4-5 teams you can count on being really good.  The BE is not even CLOSE to that level of the Big 10 or the ACC even in a down year for them.  NOT EVEN CLOSE.

Not even close, yet last year the A-10 got more teams last year into the tourney than the ACC.  Isn't that a pretty decent measure of close vs "not close"?   I'm sorry, but this year the ACC aside from Cuse and Duke really isn't very good.  UNC is coming on and has talent but who else?    Don't bring up Louisville because they are not there yet.  To say its not close is silly at this point, when the results on the court aren't showing that.  A 9-0 Pitt team just lost to a tough but unspectacular Cincy team coming off a blowout.  I'm not buying it.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 09:28:32 PM by MCNPA »

Marillac

« Reply #1738 on: December 17, 2013, 09:27:10 PM »

Nova is better than Syracuse.  I doubt Syracuse would make it through this Big East with less than 4-5 losses.  There are no easy games outside of SH--and even that contest is tougher than it has been in the past.  Sure, there may be no Louisville like last year, but there is terrible bottom of Rutgers, SJU, USF, Depaul, and SH.  Depaul still isn't good, but they are much better than they've been been the last three years.

I agree with you that the top of the conference isn't exactly murderers row.  I liken it to a pitching rotation that has no ace, but three or four #2 guys. 

« Reply #1739 on: December 17, 2013, 09:31:56 PM »

I liken it to a pitching rotation that has no ace, but three or four #2 guys. 

That's a pretty good analogy