Around Big East

• 3954 replies
Re: around the big east
« Reply #1760 on: December 21, 2013, 11:11:35 PM »
Xavier comes from behind to win at Bama. butler also won.

Watching Marquette now on ESPNU

Marquette needs this game.  5 losses going into conference play is a lot. Plus it would be a quality win.

Marquette heading for defeat.  It is a trend I see with a lot of BE schools when they play good teams.  Inability to score down the stretch.  Inability to execute in the halfcourt when the game goes possession by possession. Cost SJU down the stretch against Syracuse.  Georgetown just couldn't throw it in the ocean in the 2nd half against Kansas.  Marquette was dreadful against Ohio St last month, scoring just 37 points at home.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #1761 on: December 22, 2013, 01:48:32 PM »
Of all the years for historicly solid BE teams to play like crap, this is the worst time to do it...at this point I think 3 BE teams making it to the tournament would be lucky.

Except for the B1G, it seems the other conferences are not as strong either. I think ACC only has 3 in the top 25 and that is with NC being upset red by Texas.

This should help the BE, but this is still troubling...
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #1762 on: December 22, 2013, 02:37:50 PM »
Of all the years for historicly solid BE teams to play like crap, this is the worst time to do it...at this point I think 3 BE teams making it to the tournament would be lucky.

Except for the B1G, it seems the other conferences are not as strong either. I think ACC only has 3 in the top 25 and that is with NC being upset red by Texas.

This should help the BE, but this is still troubling...

Parity
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #1763 on: December 22, 2013, 11:53:32 PM »
Creighton beat Cal, Seton Hall beat Eastern Washington & DePaul lost to Illinois St. today

I hate to say this about a mans job, but I dont see how DePaul can stick with Oliver Purnell. Unless he turns it around this season, they appear to be making no progress as a program.

Poison

« Reply #1764 on: December 23, 2013, 12:29:25 AM »
Creighton beat Cal, Seton Hall beat Eastern Washington & DePaul lost to Illinois St. today

I hate to say this about a mans job, but I dont see how DePaul can stick with Oliver Purnell. Unless he turns it around this season, they appear to be making no progress as a program.

Purnell and Willard have done an awful job if you just look at the body of work. Willard has had some minor success. Purnell is just terrible. His players are soft. They don't play defense. They don't improve. They don't even look like they in game shape physically. DePaul was once a great program. For the sake of Chicago, and the BE, I hope they finally remove him.

paultzman

« Reply #1765 on: December 23, 2013, 12:46:57 PM »
Nice article on Nova & Jay Wright's lessons learned;

@ESPNDanaOneil: A lesson learned brings Villanova back to national prominence  http://t.co/Shxm9LGcJZ

paultzman

« Reply #1766 on: December 23, 2013, 01:13:47 PM »

Purnell and Willard have done an awful job if you just look at the body of work. Willard has had some minor success. Purnell is just terrible. His players are soft. They don't play defense. They don't improve. They don't even look like they in game shape physically. DePaul was once a great program. For the sake of Chicago, and the BE, I hope they finally remove him.

It believe he is 0 and 7 in career NCAA appearances.

ras

« Reply #1767 on: December 23, 2013, 01:20:59 PM »

What is our NCAA record during the same time frame?

Moose

« Reply #1768 on: December 23, 2013, 01:28:40 PM »

What is our NCAA record during the same time frame?

Are you asking whats our record since Purnell coached an NCAA game?  That's tough because he coached his first in 92/93 and didnt make it back till 99/00.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Marillac

« Reply #1769 on: December 23, 2013, 02:39:47 PM »
This conference is tougher than most people think.  It's very tough to sweep anyone, but every team will have to play a home-and-home with nine other teams.  How many schools would be able to sweep our top eight teams?  That is just brutal...there are no breaks.

SH isn't a cakewalk with Edwin, Sina, and the big guy.  DePaul has already beaten a Pac-12 school.

To go just 11-7 in this conference you'll have to sweep two teams and then beat Nova, Gtown, Marquette, Creighton, Xavier, Butler, St. John's, and Butler once (minus one if you are one of the teams listed). 

desco80

« Reply #1770 on: December 23, 2013, 05:37:16 PM »
So now that the Cuse game is out of the way, which game are you guys looking forward to the most?
home against Villanova?   

I think the Georgetown game will still carry sway.   Hopefully by the time we play them and Marquette both teams are back in the top 25

paultzman

« Reply #1771 on: December 23, 2013, 05:41:08 PM »
So now that the Cuse game is out of the way, which game are you guys looking forward to the most?
home against Villanova?   

I think the Georgetown game will still carry sway.   Hopefully by the time we play them and Marquette both teams are back in the top 25

Nova. Essential to go 2 and I in first three BE games, turn some heads, gain confidence and start league play with a bang.

« Reply #1772 on: December 23, 2013, 08:14:16 PM »
This conference is tougher than most people think.  It's very tough to sweep anyone, but every team will have to play a home-and-home with nine other teams.  How many schools would be able to sweep our top eight teams?  That is just brutal...there are no breaks.

SH isn't a cakewalk with Edwin, Sina, and the big guy.  DePaul has already beaten a Pac-12 school.

To go just 11-7 in this conference you'll have to sweep two teams and then beat Nova, Gtown, Marquette, Creighton, Xavier, Butler, St. John's, and Butler once (minus one if you are one of the teams listed). 

It is not that tough playing teams twice.  Take the old BE.  Would you rather play DePaul twice or play DePaul once and Louisville once?

Louisville, Syracuse, Ohio St, Wisconsin, Michigan St and Arizona among others would win 14 games MINIMUM in this BE if you say put them in and take out a Xavier or Butler. 

paultzman

« Reply #1773 on: December 25, 2013, 10:41:40 AM »
Hard to argue with this;

"2. Big East teams will struggle to gain resume-lifting wins in league play: Other than Villanova, no one in the Big East has set themselves apart in nonconference games. Creighton has wins over California and Arizona State and needs those teams to have quality years in the Pac-12 to help its NCAA chances. Xavier has beaten Tennessee, Cincinnati and Alabama but those teams are still far from proven commodities. Georgetown has a win over VCU and gets a crack at Michigan State in February, but right now the Hoyas are just another team trying to build a resume.

Everyone knew that the new Big East wasn't going to be the same, but there's a new problem: Schools in the new Big East without quality nonconference wins may only get legitimate resume-building chances in their two games vs. Villanova. The Wildcats beat Louisville and Syracuse in the same week last season, helping them reach the NCAA Tournament. Within the new league, those chances won't exist anymore, nor will there be opportunities to play household names like Pitt or Notre Dame. And aside from losing power teams, this still isn't the conference we thought it would be before the season. Providence was supposed to be a borderline NCAA team but the Friars lost point guard Kris Dunn for the season (shoulder) and touted freshman Brandon Austin has been suspended for the rest of the season. Marquette also has struggled early after being cast as one of the league's preseason favorites."

@JonRothstein: DeAndre Kane, Branden Dawson's terrific start, + 3 story lines to follow moving forward. The Triple Threat @CBSSports http://t.co/oDOdQCjyoY

jr49

« Reply #1774 on: December 25, 2013, 03:27:11 PM »
Because we lost to Penn.St. we now might have to go 12@6 in the new and less talented BE. For those who thought losing to State not so bad, wrong. We now must schedule better and slip up less OOC.

hnk

« Reply #1775 on: December 25, 2013, 05:23:21 PM »
We can beat  Depaul, Seton Hall, Providence twice and maybe one other and split the rest....that would be 12-6 or better.....Xavier? or Butler?........split w Georgetown, Marquette (maybe win twice)   Creighton? Villie?....gonna be fun and interesting.....we need Jordan.....

« Reply #1776 on: December 25, 2013, 09:44:21 PM »
Because we lost to Penn.St. we now might have to go 12@6 in the new and less talented BE. For those who thought losing to State not so bad, wrong. We now must schedule better and slip up less OOC.

Penn St is not a killer.  PSU will be decent.  Not great but decent.  I agree should have won the game but not a killer loss.

I think SJU and a few others will step up in BE play.  But again this notion that the BE is among the top 2 or even 3 conferences right now is not being serious.  It is not even close right now.

I will say it again.  This assertion seems to be born of the excitement of the new conference.  When the Catholic 7 bolted to form the "new" BE we applauded.  Rightfully so.  But they needed to do that to survive but some of you are confusing this survival move with re-creating a monster conference.  Just because they took the BE name does not mean they automatically inherit the recent success the BE has had on the court.  UCONN, Syracuse, Louisville, Cincy, Pitt, ND cannot just be replaced with Butler and Xavier and Creighton and BAM everything is the same.

Look at Iowa St.  They are unbeaten, beaten BYU, Michigan and Iowa.  Why is any BE team better then Iowa St right now?  If any are? 
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 10:22:03 PM by fordham96 »

« Reply #1777 on: December 25, 2013, 10:21:35 PM »
Here is the current BE list in terms of RPI.  As noted Nova is clearly the best at #8.  Butler (who I think is the surprise of the BE so far) is next at 31.

Creighton, SJU, Georgetown, Xavier and Providence are in a group between 42 and 87.  Right in the decent range. Half the league in the so so/decent range.  And then 30% of the league 100 and below; Marquette, DePaul and SHU.  I fully expect Marquette to rebound and probably Butler to fall.

But again none of those numbers screams DOMINANT conference.

http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_bige_Men.html

And Villanova has been clearly the best BE team, we all agree.  But look closer at their numbers.  They rank 170th in FG percentage offense, shooting .449.  That is the worst of any top 10 team.  By contrast Louisville is 70th, UCONN is 53rd and Syracuse is 76th. 

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/222/villanova-wildcats

TONYD3

« Reply #1778 on: December 25, 2013, 10:42:06 PM »
Serious. Question- how did they get so good ? We shouldn't have lost them last year . Do they have any new players?

« Reply #1779 on: December 25, 2013, 10:44:11 PM »
Serious. Question- how did they get so good ? We shouldn't have lost them last year . Do they have any new players?

Their guards are playing better than anyone could have imagined.  Their frontcourt, to me, is extremely weak.