Around Big East

• 3954 replies

Moose

Re: around the big east
« Reply #1860 on: January 20, 2014, 08:36:14 PM »
Good news is the Nova players are keeping their chin up.  Zach won't have to ask Jay Wright about any bad body language.

Also impressed that the Nova fans are still there.  I'd be long gone down by 40.
Remember who broke the Slice news

goredmen

« Reply #1861 on: January 20, 2014, 08:39:46 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille: Villanova fans are louder down 22 than St. John's fans have been all year.

He's probably right but Brazille seems to go out of his way to attack our fan base. He's a real piece of you know what for that and a few other things he's done.

Got to hope Creighton doesn't open up a 28 point first half lead against us. If that happens I don't think we have the fight needed to cut it 13 by halftime like nova did

I agree.  I have no doubt he is right, but that  just uncalled for.  Villanova is #4 in the country, and it is very plausible that they  can overcome a deficit like that at home--especially one created by the three-ball.  Live by the 3, die by the 3.

I just find it funny that this clown constantly attacks the SJU fan base and adds negative commentary in his stories about the team/players (which is fine) but when it comes to asking Lavin serious questions that the fans want answers to his courage evaporates. He brings absolutely nothing to the table
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 08:41:49 PM by goredmen »

goredmen

« Reply #1862 on: January 20, 2014, 08:46:58 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille: Villanova fans are louder down 22 than St. John's fans have been all year.

He's probably right but Brazille seems to go out of his way to attack our fan base. He's a real piece of you know what for that and a few other things he's done.

Got to hope Creighton doesn't open up a 28 point first half lead against us. If that happens I don't think we have the fight needed to cut it 13 by halftime like nova did

I agree.  I have no doubt he is right, but that  just uncalled for.  Villanova is #4 in the country, and it is very plausible that they  can overcome a deficit like that at home--especially one created by the three-ball.  Live by the 3, die by the 3.

People would piss and moan that Lenn Robbins would never say anything bad.  Now we have a reporter who isn't afraid to take the coach or admin to task.  And we complain.

So is the life of St. John's fans.

I don't mind that he says negative things about the team, in fact I think it's good. But why is he talking about our fan base when he's covering the villanova Creighton game?

He may take the staff and administration to task in his stories but has he asked Lavin any questions that we actually want answers to? I haven't seen any. He just lobs softballs at him, listens to Lavin talk in circles and prints it instead of trying to get a real answer out of him

Moose

« Reply #1863 on: January 20, 2014, 08:51:19 PM »

People would piss and moan that Lenn Robbins would never say anything bad.  Now we have a reporter who isn't afraid to take the coach or admin to task.  And we complain.

I don't mind that he says negative things about the team, in fact I think it's good. But why is he talking about our fan base when he's covering the villanova Creighton game?

He may take the staff and administration to task in his stories but has he asked Lavin any questions that we actually want answers to? I haven't seen any. He just lobs softballs at him, listens to Lavin talk in circles and prints it instead of trying to get a real answer out of him

Well he's our beat writer, and our fans follow him.  And Nova is in the same conference as us so he went to Philly to cover a premier matchup for our conference.  It's not like he's at an Oklahoma/Kansas State game.

What questions do you want him to ask?  Might as well post them here because everyone reads the site.  Maybe they have been asked.  I mean unless you are in the press conferences.  I'm not but we don't know.  More questions might be asked than what makes it to print.  Also you know how Lavin answers.  He can babble on for 10 minutes without answering what was asked and that means ask the questions you have to ask before time runs out.

goredmen

« Reply #1864 on: January 20, 2014, 09:07:10 PM »

Well he's our beat writer, and our fans follow him.  And Nova is in the same conference as us so he went to Philly to cover a premier matchup for our conference.  It's not like he's at an Oklahoma/Kansas State game.

What questions do you want him to ask?  Might as well post them here because everyone reads the site.  Maybe they have been asked.  I mean unless you are in the press conferences.  I'm not but we don't know.  More questions might be asked than what makes it to print.  Also you know how Lavin answers.  He can babble on for 10 minutes without answering what was asked and that means ask the questions you have to ask before time runs out.

I admit that I don't know every question that's asked in the press conferences but I have yet to see any quotes in which Lavin attempts to answer a question along the lines of "at what point does all this hyperbole and talk of progress have to turn into actual wins?" Also, maybe guys like Brazilller may not really notice but I haven't heard any Lavin explanations on specific crunch time lineup decisions. The fact that Lavin can still give 10 minute answers where he just talks in circles and can get away with it tells me they aren't pressing him hard enough. Braziller actually has a little leverage when it comes to asking tough questions that might ruffle some feathers because St John's needs as much major media attention as possible.

I mainly take issue with the fact that he seems to talk a big game in his articles but doesn't actually provide anything of value. Maybe that's just me though

tnice

« Reply #1865 on: January 20, 2014, 09:08:12 PM »
The whole SJU team- players AND coaches- should be locked in a room with water and vitamins and be forced to watch this game (Creighton-Nova) on a loop for about four days straight.

Even if you take away the once in a season three point shooting, the ball movement, the constant looking for the open man, the defense and rebounding that comes from force of will will rather than athletic ability...its freakin beautiful A pleasure to watch. Once Creighton gets into their offense, you almost never see anyone dribble more than twice...the ball just moves, side to side, in and out. Just as a fan of good basketball, I cant wait to see them at MSG.

paultzman

« Reply #1866 on: January 21, 2014, 07:51:57 AM »
Quite a contrast to our "freelance crap";

"Is this the best this Creighton team will ever play? Yes -- but that is no more an insult than saying “Smells Like Teen Spirit” was Nirvana’s best song. For three years, Creighton has been working toward an offensive ideal, a perfect attack -- every screen a productive one, every flare crisp, every pass on point, every shot in rhythm. Most teams never get there. The few that do rarely last more than a few minutes."

Entire article;

@ESPNAndyKatz: 'Incredible' Creighton puts it all together http://t.co/mK3Vp4wt5A

Moose

« Reply #1867 on: January 21, 2014, 08:03:04 AM »
Quite a contrast to our "freelance crap";

"Is this the best this Creighton team will ever play? Yes -- but that is no more an insult than saying “Smells Like Teen Spirit” was Nirvana’s best song. For three years, Creighton has been working toward an offensive ideal, a perfect attack -- every screen a productive one, every flare crisp, every pass on point, every shot in rhythm. Most teams never get there. The few that do rarely last more than a few minutes."

Entire article;

@ESPNAndyKatz: 'Incredible' Creighton puts it all together http://t.co/mK3Vp4wt5A

And they did that all without Grant Gibbs

tnice

« Reply #1868 on: January 21, 2014, 09:59:32 AM »
I was one who definitely looked at Creighton and said "wait until they have to play a big time schedule", blah, blah, blah. Mea Culpa.

I echo what the kid from the ESPN article said...that was one of the most fundamentally sound beatdowns I have ever seen. Very, very impressive.

« Reply #1869 on: January 21, 2014, 10:00:07 AM »
Creighton is gonna tie us to a tree and make us squeal like a piggy.  Lol!

paultzman

« Reply #1870 on: January 21, 2014, 10:27:47 AM »

Ned Beatty is a huge Creighton fan! Lol

« Reply #1871 on: January 21, 2014, 10:30:41 AM »
So we all went to the movies in the early 70s

paultzman

« Reply #1872 on: January 21, 2014, 11:05:53 PM »
@KevinMcNamara33: Providence keeps rising in Big East with 4th win in a row, tops Butler 65-56.

paultzman

« Reply #1873 on: January 24, 2014, 02:28:08 PM »
School cafeteria better stock up! Another wasted opportunity;

@BenStandig: JT3 says Josh Smith is out for the season. #hoyas

« Reply #1874 on: January 25, 2014, 01:48:49 AM »

I'm sure he'll make a surprise return when they play us again

paultzman

« Reply #1875 on: January 25, 2014, 07:29:00 AM »

Definitely not happening this year. I personally think he is done at GT.

paultzman

« Reply #1876 on: January 25, 2014, 01:30:41 PM »
@JonRothstein: DePaul has suspended Cleveland Melvin for today's game at Seton Hall for a violation of team rules, Oliver Purnell told @CBSSports...

« Reply #1877 on: January 25, 2014, 11:39:09 PM »
So we all went to the movies in the early 70s

My wife will never forgive me for making her watch THAT MOVIE! lol

paultzman

« Reply #1879 on: January 27, 2014, 12:51:53 PM »
@TylerRickyTynes: Creighton's Ethan Wragge was named the Big East POW after a big win over Villanova and avg 19.2 points this week and 60% from deep