Around Big East

• 3954 replies

TONYD3

Re: Around Big East
« Reply #3900 on: December 19, 2019, 07:50:30 PM »
Seton hall just played a great half. Not sure if they can keep it up. Great defense

Johnny23

« Reply #3901 on: December 19, 2019, 08:54:21 PM »
Seton hall just played a great half. Not sure if they can keep it up. Great defense

They kept it up. Now they just need to close out this last 90 seconds up by 5. Crunch time. Would be a huge win for the Hall and the BE.

Marillac

« Reply #3902 on: December 20, 2019, 06:30:32 PM »
They kept it up. Now they just need to close out this last 90 seconds up by 5. Crunch time. Would be a huge win for the Hall and the BE.

SH beats Maryland with its two best players out and we have some here blaming a loss to 6-5 Vermont on not having Rasheem Dunn.

Johnny23

« Reply #3903 on: December 20, 2019, 08:59:34 PM »
SH beats Maryland with its two best players out and we have some here blaming a loss to 6-5 Vermont on not having Rasheem Dunn.

Seton Hall is a few possessions away from being an undefeated top 10 team with heartbreaking losses to two Top 10 teams at the time in MSU and Oregon. We are not on that level this year. I have no doubt that Anderson is building to that level of competitiveness and success but it takes several years to get there. We are improving and playing more as a collective unit every game.

SJUFAN

« Reply #3904 on: December 20, 2019, 11:22:56 PM »

Or blaming Mullins 3rd year debacle on not having LoVett.

Marillac

« Reply #3905 on: December 21, 2019, 03:12:59 PM »
Or blaming Mullins 3rd year debacle on not having LoVett.

Mullin’s third year was not a debacle and NOBODY took him and his staff to task for that shitty roster construction than me. Use the search function.

I was livid that we would be one injury away from going from a possible tournament team to crap because of a backup PG in NYC after Mussini went pro. I predicted 16 wins preseason.

Marillac

« Reply #3906 on: December 21, 2019, 03:13:56 PM »
Nova beats #1 Kansas. The Big East has never been so weak right MullinsRevenge?!!!! #this#$%^ingguy!!!!

Marillac

« Reply #3907 on: December 21, 2019, 03:42:15 PM »
Providence up 17 on 9—1 Texas and Butler winning a close won against Purdue early 26-21.

MullinsRevenge was right, this is the weakest the conference has been in many years.  🖕🏽

goredmen

« Reply #3908 on: December 21, 2019, 03:44:43 PM »
Mullin’s third year was not a debacle

Wait what?

Marillac

« Reply #3909 on: December 21, 2019, 04:50:28 PM »
Wait what?

16-17 is not a debacle. It’s especially not a debacle for a team that went 8-24 and 14-16 the two years prior. Disappointing? Absolutely.

16 wins is good enough for a three-way tie for the 9th lowest win total for St. John’s since 2000. How pathetic is that?

After Mussini went pro (following RF going pro and Ellison transferring) I predicted 16 wins and posted “There goes the season” and “what happens if Ponds or Lovett sprain an ankle? The season just end?” I also posted “Missing the tournament and losing a year with an absolute star like Ponds because you don't have a backup big and a fourth guard would be completely inexcusble.” Here is the thread:  http://johnnyjungle.com/forum/index.php?topic=10510.60

I’m all for blaming Mullin and staff for the horrific roster construction and risking the season because they couldn’t get a backup PG and physical big man with serviceable talent—both of those players grow on trees in NY. Those are the kind mistakes you get when you hire a brand new coach. You can only learn those things by f*cking up.

goredmen

« Reply #3910 on: December 21, 2019, 05:24:33 PM »
16-17 is not a debacle. It’s especially not a debacle for a team that went 8-24 and 14-16 the two years prior. Disappointing? Absolutely.

16 wins is good enough for a three-way tie for the 9th lowest win total for St. John’s since 2000. How pathetic is that?

After Mussini went pro (following RF going pro and Ellison transferring) I predicted 16 wins and posted “There goes the season” and “what happens if Ponds or Lovett sprain an ankle? The season just end?” I also posted “Missing the tournament and losing a year with an absolute star like Ponds because you don't have a backup big and a fourth guard would be completely inexcusble.” Here is the thread:  http://johnnyjungle.com/forum/index.php?topic=10510.60

I’m all for blaming Mullin and staff for the horrific roster construction and risking the season because they couldn’t get a backup PG and physical big man with serviceable talent—both of those players grow on trees in NY. Those are the kind mistakes you get when you hire a brand new coach. You can only learn those things by f*cking up.

The team was 10-2, trending up and had just received a commitment from a 4 star kid from California because of how well the season was going. They then went 5-15 to finish the season including an 11 game losing streak that caused said 4 star kid to reevaluate and decide he wanted nothing to do with this program going forward. The way the Lovett situation was handled and played out, as well as the season as a whole was a debacle.

Marillac

« Reply #3911 on: December 21, 2019, 05:50:14 PM »
The team was 10-2, trending up and had just received a commitment from a 4 star kid from California because of how well the season was going. They then went 5-15 to finish the season including an 11 game losing streak that caused said 4 star kid to reevaluate and decide he wanted nothing to do with this program going forward. The way the Lovett situation was handled and played out, as well as the season as a whole was a debacle.

The Lovett situation was a debacle. He was one of the top ten players in the conference and he was a legit top 25-50 caliber recruit for what he did on the court. The fact that we had no contingency for him and Ponds was horrific roster management. Lovett specifically showed signs of being extremely untrustworthy. Even with those two scoring point guards why not bring in a stable dump it off PG in the mold of Malik Boothe or Geno? They are everywhere.

The two players we were missing we had the year before in Sima and Mussini. I don’t know for sure, but I am pretty confident that Mullin didn’t do enough to convince them to stay. IMO he should have played Sima more before the end of the first semester to avoid the mid-year transfer. That is a new coaching blunder and perhaps something his pride as a hall of famer wouldn’t allow him to stoop to.

After Lovett went down we were ruined. We had no chance to win unless Ponds was heroic.

I don’t have a problem with being extremely critical of Mullin for all of the above, but I think what we saw on the court was exactly what was expected with an injury to either Ponds or Lovett. I don’t think he underperformed during the season... he and his staff made that bed prior.

TONYD3

« Reply #3912 on: December 21, 2019, 07:56:10 PM »
Wait what?
Mullin’s third year was not a debacle and NOBODY took him and his staff to task for that shitty roster construction than me. Use the search function.

I was livid that we would be one injury away from going from a possible tournament team to crap because of a backup PG in NYC after Mussini went pro. I predicted 16 wins preseason.
11 game losing streak. Last place. Not bad for year 3, 6 million in.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 09:01:51 PM by TONYD3 »

9 Big East Teams with AP Poll Points
« Reply #3913 on: December 25, 2019, 01:56:43 AM »
Did everyone see that the Big East has 2 teams in the top25 and 7 more teams with points?  Going just on that, the Big East will have 6, maybe 7 in the dance.

The Johnnies have 4 points. Not much, but its something.  Only team missing is Providence.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 02:01:41 AM by Towerofshred »

Johnny23

« Reply #3914 on: December 25, 2019, 07:26:53 AM »
The new BE is as deep as it's ever been. There are no more "old DePaul's" on anyone's league schedule this year.

Stock up.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2019-12-23/how-big-east-has-put-college-basketball-alert

QuanMan

« Reply #3915 on: December 27, 2019, 12:55:31 PM »
Monday night X@Nova, Hall@DePaul should start off league play with a bang:

See really well written conference preview ahead of next week linked below:

Xavier Musketeers and 2019-20 Big East basketball: 'It's gonna be a war every night.'
Adam Baum, Cincinnati Enquirer

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/college/xavier/2019/12/27/big-east-basketball-schedule-xavier-musketeers-conference-preview/2710093001/
Section 3
Section 116

Johnny23

« Reply #3916 on: December 30, 2019, 09:36:48 PM »
DePaul is real good this year. Their D is legit. Giving the Hall fits but they're sticking around.

TONYD3

« Reply #3917 on: December 30, 2019, 09:41:32 PM »
DePaul is real good this year. Their D is legit. Giving the Hall fits but they're sticking around.
Sloppy game. Plenty of bad shots by both. Seton hall missed a bunch of easy shots.

Johnny23

« Reply #3918 on: December 30, 2019, 09:57:16 PM »
Sloppy game. Plenty of bad shots by both. Seton hall missed a bunch of easy shots.

Hall trying to steal one on the road. Hanging tough.

TONYD3

« Reply #3919 on: December 30, 2019, 10:41:59 PM »
DePaul take a lot of bad 3’s.