Zach Brown - C - Miami, FL

• 369 replies
Re: Zach Brown - C - Miami, FL - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #280 on: January 10, 2017, 06:38:05 PM »
At least we know he has quick hands.

« Reply #281 on: January 10, 2017, 06:53:39 PM »
any chance this kid makes it to campus?  seems like a real talent, taking some money from a store isn't good, but he hasn't been convicted of anything and even if he is convicted/pleads to some crime, it's pretty minor.  his history doesn't seems like something that would put any other students in danger (unless I'm missing something) so should still try to get him here and on the court because this team needs a big asap.

At this point, I do not want him on the team.

After the robbery charge, I was ready to give him a second chance.  But now 2x is too many chances.

He had a hard upbringing, and even admitted in the Vice documentary that he stole as a young'un to survive.  When he lived with his adopted family, I guess the need to steal to survive was absent. But seems that changed when he moved back with his mother.

I wonder if, and a big IF... , he hadnt gone back to meet with his mother through the Vice documentary that he would have stayed with his adopted family and kept clean. In the doc, everyone thought he had NBA potential and his aunt seemed to resent that everyone was saying that others and not that aunt was the one that raised him.  Maybe that meeting was the catalyst in Zach moving back with his moms family and the current unfortunate events. Its still on him, but what if....

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/video/the-7-foot-center-of-two-miamis

paultzman

« Reply #282 on: January 10, 2017, 07:20:39 PM »
All this is moot. They will cut bait. Brown hasn't played recently at Calusa Prep & was becoming a tough babysitting project for Matt A. They knew this was not going to end well even before he redeemed his coupons at Walgreens.

Poison

« Reply #283 on: January 10, 2017, 07:33:43 PM »
Okay, would you be fine with a slow 5 year rebuild while the staff only takes good students and citizens?

To be fair that was Norm's approach and he was a huge fan.

Norm's second class had a player guilty of the exact same crime that Zack Brown was arrested for. Yet, Aaron Spears was given a second chance by a guy who only recruits "good" kids. Let's be real, Norm took what he could get. Lance Stephenson's high school behavior wasn't the reason he didn't play for us. Clearly, Norm was.

What's a better outcome? Norm giving Aaron Spears a second chance and Spears rehabilitating himself or Rysheed Jordan ending up in prison for attempted murder after two years of Steve Lavin's mentoring?

When Lavin recruited Jordan there were perhaps some red flags, but the kid hadn't done anything wrong at the time. There wasn't a need for a second chance. He went down a dark path, but that has nothing to do with Steve Lavin, and everything to do with Rysheed Jordan.

To be fair, the fact that a 5 star player was only being actively recruited by a couple of schools means that there was more than just "perhaps some red flags". Everybody, including Lavin, knew there were huge question marks with him.  That said, I still think Lavin did the right thing by taking that gamble

Except there weren't more than just red flags. That is all there was. In fact, I recall reading articles about Jordan that shed light on how dedicated he was to taking care of his siblings.

It's easy to play Monday morning QB, but I don't recall any STJ fan calling Jordan a risk at all when he picked us.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 07:34:16 PM by Poison »

Foad

« Reply #284 on: January 10, 2017, 09:13:50 PM »
Okay, would you be fine with a slow 5 year rebuild while the staff only takes good students and citizens?

Norm's second class had a player guilty of the exact same crime that Zack Brown was arrested for. Yet, Aaron Spears was given a second chance by a guy who only recruits "good" kids. Let's be real, Norm took what he could get. Lance Stephenson's high school behavior wasn't the reason he didn't play for us. Clearly, Norm was.

What's a better outcome? Norm giving Aaron Spears a second chance and Spears rehabilitating himself or Rysheed Jordan ending up in prison for attempted murder after two years of Steve Lavin's mentoring?

When Lavin recruited Jordan there were perhaps some red flags, but the kid hadn't done anything wrong at the time. There wasn't a need for a second chance. He went down a dark path, but that has nothing to do with Steve Lavin, and everything to do with Rysheed Jordan.

So Steve Lavin recruits a player to school who you claim is a good kid and after two years under Lavin's wing the kid drops out and ends up in prison and that has nothing at all to do with Steve Lavin. That's seemingly odd, as Steve Lavin often said that there were more important things than winning and among those things especially was preparing his delicate charges for success later in life. He often said that he was a teacher first and a basketball coach second. 

Question: since Steve Lavin does not deserve blame for Jordan's transformation from good kid to felon does he deserve credit for D'Angelo Harrison's transformation from angry young man to model citizen or does that have everything to do with D'Angelo Harrison?

« Reply #285 on: January 10, 2017, 09:37:09 PM »

So Steve Lavin recruits a player to school who you claim is a good kid and after two years under Lavin's wing the kid drops out and ends up in prison and that has nothing at all to do with Steve Lavin. That's seemingly odd, as Steve Lavin often said that there were more important things than winning and among those things especially was preparing his delicate charges for success later in life. He often said that he was a teacher first and a basketball coach second. 

Question: since Steve Lavin does not deserve blame for Jordan's transformation from good kid to felon does he deserve credit for D'Angelo Harrison's transformation from angry young man to model citizen or does that have everything to do with D'Angelo Harrison?
Some people are just incorrigible, sort of like you.

Foad

« Reply #286 on: January 11, 2017, 09:19:12 AM »

I understand the nature of good and evil, but that's not the point I'm making. If you like Steve Lavin for some to me inexplicable reason and say: Lavin gets credit for everything good that happened while he was coach and everything bad that happened was someones else's fault - which is btw Steve Lavin's perspective - that's I suppose fine, but to me it makes you an unserious person with whom discourse is futile, because you are disinterested in reason, facts, or rhetoric: you're arguing from a conclusion. It's the same on the other end of the spectrum with the Norm is always wrong crowd, who will give him no credit for anything, ever. I despise Lavin for a number of reasons but I don't give him credit for absolutely nothing, just not a lot something. While I certainly don't think he did the Jordan any favors and I think maybe Lavin could have done things to ameliorate Jordan's recklessness I also don't think he's to blame for what happened; and on the other hand I think he deserves zero credit for whatever alleged transformation DH underwent, which I don't think he underwent anyway, that was just some histrionic horseshit Lavin cooked up to make himself look good. The point being that I'm rational and some people aren't and arguing with irrational people is irrational and I try and avoid it.

QuanMan

« Reply #287 on: January 11, 2017, 11:22:45 AM »
When if at all should a formal announcement be expected from the University rescinding his offer?
Section 3
Section 116

Marillac

« Reply #288 on: January 11, 2017, 11:32:48 AM »

Norm went after some questionable recruits himself:

Doug Wiggins - committed to SJU then got kicked out of Uconn
Derwin Kitchen - Ineligible
Aaron Spears- Busted for drugs while at SJU
Qa'rran Calhoun - Knocked up girl and left first year
Sylvan Lamdesburg - drama and left after a year in UVA
Rob Thomas - Ineligible
DJ Kennedy - Had a kid when we recruited him and like 14 kids by graduation

« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 11:33:45 AM by Marillac »

« Reply #289 on: January 11, 2017, 11:48:06 AM »

I understand the nature of good and evil, but that's not the point I'm making. If you like Steve Lavin for some to me inexplicable reason and say: Lavin gets credit for everything good that happened while he was coach and everything bad that happened was someones else's fault - which is btw Steve Lavin's perspective - that's I suppose fine, but to me it makes you an unserious person with whom discourse is futile, because you are disinterested in reason, facts, or rhetoric: you're arguing from a conclusion. It's the same on the other end of the spectrum with the Norm is always wrong crowd, who will give him no credit for anything, ever. I despise Lavin for a number of reasons but I don't give him credit for absolutely nothing, just not a lot something. While I certainly don't think he did the Jordan any favors and I think maybe Lavin could have done things to ameliorate Jordan's recklessness I also don't think he's to blame for what happened; and on the other hand I think he deserves zero credit for whatever alleged transformation DH underwent, which I don't think he underwent anyway, that was just some histrionic horseshit Lavin cooked up to make himself look good. The point being that I'm rational and some people aren't and arguing with irrational people is irrational and I try and avoid it.

Everyone sees themselves as rational I think. I mean do people walk around going " man I am one irrational person"?
You and maybe others would put me in the irrational category in regards to Norm. But I would do the same with you with Lavin.
And virtually no one on these boards is rational about Jarvis. Granted bad guy, pompous, in the end did way more harm to program than good.  However Elite 8 team probably my favorite team ever. For all Jarvis faults, that team does not play that way for Fran.

Foad

« Reply #290 on: January 11, 2017, 12:17:35 PM »

Rob Thomas - Ineligible

<sarcasm>

Foad

« Reply #291 on: January 11, 2017, 12:25:57 PM »

Everyone sees themselves as rational I think. I mean do people walk around going " man I am one irrational person"?
You and maybe others would put me in the irrational category in regards to Norm. But I would do the same with you with Lavin.
And virtually no one on these boards is rational about Jarvis. Granted bad guy, pompous, in the end did way more harm to program than good.  However Elite 8 team probably my favorite team ever. For all Jarvis faults, that team does not play that way for Fran.

Irrational people suffering manias don't know they're crazy. Rational people know that some  of their thoughts are insane. I'm not irrational about Lavin. Sure I use hyperbole to describe him. but I don't eg deny that he deserves some credit for taking two teams to the tournament. I just question how much. You're irrational about Norm because you give him no credit for even any small thing and have managed to maintain that animus for nearly ten years. I've come to consider you nearly insane on the subject. To use one of your favorite analogies, I have a certain ex girlfriend who I can't think about without a giant flashing neon C word popping unbidden into my mind but I'm not so irrational about her that I refuse to acknowledge that she gave great head.

« Reply #292 on: January 11, 2017, 12:49:40 PM »

Irrational people suffering manias don't know they're crazy. Rational people know that some  of their thoughts are insane. I'm not irrational about Lavin. Sure I use hyperbole to describe him. but I don't eg deny that he deserves some credit for taking two teams to the tournament. I just question how much. You're irrational about Norm because you give him no credit for even any small thing and have managed to maintain that animus for nearly ten years. I've come to consider you nearly insane on the subject. To use one of your favorite analogies, I have a certain ex girlfriend who I can't think about without a giant flashing neon C word popping unbidden into my mind but I'm not so irrational about her that I refuse to acknowledge that she gave great head.

I fully believe you could have stuck anyone in there for 6 years and not done any worse than Norm. Most of the people defending him were basically giving him credit for not being Jarvis. We stunk, were awful to watch and I would have bet we were never going to make a tourney ever again. In fact I would have said it was more likely we left the BE for smaller conference before we made NCAA tourney.
Norm is the reason I can never hate on Lavin like some of you do. And I thought Lavin was a self promoting bad basketball coach.

How about Jarvis? No matter what happened afterwards, Elite 8 team was probably my favorite. Even more so than Final Four team.
How is this analogy? My stop mom was a drain on man kind. Worst person most people including eventually my Dad had the misfortune of meeting. She could cook though. Better than any Italian restaurant I have ever been to. Elite 8 team was my step mom's cooking
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 12:51:11 PM by we are sju »

Marillac

« Reply #293 on: January 11, 2017, 03:22:05 PM »

I fully believe you could have stuck anyone in there for 6 years and not done any worse than Norm. Most of the people defending him were basically giving him credit for not being Jarvis. We stunk, were awful to watch and I would have bet we were never going to make a tourney ever again. In fact I would have said it was more likely we left the BE for smaller conference before we made NCAA tourney.
Norm is the reason I can never hate on Lavin like some of you do. And I thought Lavin was a self promoting bad basketball coach.

How about Jarvis? No matter what happened afterwards, Elite 8 team was probably my favorite. Even more so than Final Four team.
How is this analogy? My stop mom was a drain on man kind. Worst person most people including eventually my Dad had the misfortune of meeting. She could cook though. Better than any Italian restaurant I have ever been to. Elite 8 team was my step mom's cooking

Breakthrough! It's not your fault, sport. It's not your fault.
I guess this explains the disdain for Mussini.

« Reply #294 on: January 11, 2017, 03:56:34 PM »

Breakthrough! It's not your fault, sport. It's not your fault.
I guess this explains the disdain for Mussini.

No I am 15 % Italian on my mom's side
Norm was terrible but that doesn't mean I don't like all black coaches. Just Norm
My step mom was horrible but I like Italian people,15% of myself included
I just don't like watching slow, short Italian shooting guards named Frederico
I generally hate all things Duke but I like Tha Kid
I don't prejudge the things I hate. They are earned 

Poison

« Reply #295 on: January 11, 2017, 04:56:22 PM »

When a 12 year old is arrested for armed robbery, it's pretty easy to understand that he didn't end up in that situation on his own. Rysheed Jordan is a grown man. It's absolutely ridiculous to blame Steve Lavin for his arrest. From what I can tell, Lavin has a good relationship with many of his former players from both UCLA and St.John's.

If Lavin handed Jordan a loaded weapon, you'd have a damn good point.

Poison

« Reply #296 on: January 11, 2017, 05:02:03 PM »

Rob Thomas - Ineligible

Bite your tongue. DJ Kennedy is one of the best 4 year players we've ever had at St.John's.

Marillac

« Reply #297 on: January 11, 2017, 05:37:27 PM »

Rob Thomas - Ineligible

Bite your tongue. DJ Kennedy is one of the best 4 year players we've ever had at St.John's.

Agreed. And he was a risk that paid off. Most coaches wouldn't look twice at a high schooler with a child....probably why he was available and willing to come to SJU. Believe me, I'm not knocking him. I was arrested before college and was a huge risk myself.

desco80

« Reply #298 on: January 11, 2017, 06:17:44 PM »
We Are SJU,  don't tell me the Elite 8 team wouldn't have played hard for Fran.  Fran was 10x the coach Jarvis was
  Jarvis just rolled the balls out. 

If Fran behaved like a professional or things weren't made public, he could've stayed here and we would have more than 1 Final Four banner.

« Reply #299 on: January 11, 2017, 06:30:22 PM »
We Are SJU,  don't tell me the Elite 8 team wouldn't have played hard for Fran.  Fran was 10x the coach Jarvis was
  Jarvis just rolled the balls out. 

If Fran behaved like a professional or things weren't made public, he could've stayed here and we would have more than 1 Final Four banner.

There's a heavy dose of irony in your post.   ;D