Nas Little, SF, Florida

• 190 replies
Re: Nas Little, SF, Florida
« Reply #140 on: August 09, 2017, 09:09:54 PM »
Arizona, Duke, UNC, GT and Miami

3 suprises; no SJU and no UF.  And no Oregon, I heard late they were likely to make cut.

« Reply #141 on: August 09, 2017, 09:12:03 PM »
Kids these days have no originality.

I can't blame them at all but damn.

MCNPA

« Reply #142 on: August 09, 2017, 09:12:53 PM »
Duke offers yesterday yet we were there with him since he wasn't on the 5-star radar.  Shitskrewski offers 12 hours ago and they're in.  It sucks, but we move on... kids are fickle.

desco80

« Reply #143 on: August 09, 2017, 09:14:45 PM »
Matt A just tweeted:
"No one ever wants to hear it but recruiting is very fluid.   We are in a very good spot.  One door closes and another door opens."

« Reply #144 on: August 09, 2017, 09:16:50 PM »
Yeah the kid fits the Duke profile to a T.  Top 10-20 caliber kid with great upside, great attitude and great academics.  That is who they offer.

4 ACC schools and Arizona.  God bless him.

Move on.

« Reply #145 on: August 09, 2017, 09:20:21 PM »
Matt A just tweeted:
"No one ever wants to hear it but recruiting is very fluid.   We are in a very good spot.  One door closes and another door opens."

He's right and Matt did great work here.  Just wasn't in the cards.  Evan Daniels tweeted out in July that there is an unwritten rule during the live period that coaches privately hope their targets DON'T do well during July.  Makes it easier to recruit them.  That is probably what SJU needed with Little.  This kid blew up like no one else.

MCNPA

« Reply #146 on: August 09, 2017, 09:23:54 PM »
Matt A just tweeted:

He's right and Matt did great work here.  Just wasn't in the cards.  Evan Daniels tweeted out in July that there is an unwritten rule during the live period that coaches privately hope their targets DON'T do well during July.  Makes it easier to recruit them.  That is probably what SJU needed with Little.  This kid blew up like no one else.

Or maybe kids don't need to waste coaches time either.  I'm sure Matt understands all of this, but it's obvious at this point, that the kid was never even considering us. 

desco80

« Reply #147 on: August 09, 2017, 09:25:56 PM »
Yeah the kid fits the Duke profile to a T.  Top 10-20 caliber kid with great upside, great attitude and great academics.  That is who they offer.

4 ACC schools and Arizona.  God bless him.

Move on.

Surprised Georgia Tech and Miami made his final cut.
Would've thought that would be Florida and SJU.
Not that we wouldve gotten him in end  though. 

« Reply #148 on: August 09, 2017, 09:26:54 PM »
Matt A just tweeted:

Or maybe kids don't need to waste coaches time either.  I'm sure Matt understands all of this, but it's obvious at this point, that the kid was never even considering us. 

Yeah but my guess is if he did not become a top 10 kid in a span of about 2 months SJU would probably still be there.  Who knows.

MCNPA

« Reply #149 on: August 09, 2017, 09:41:56 PM »
Matt A just tweeted:

Yeah but my guess is if he did not become a top 10 kid in a span of about 2 months SJU would probably still be there.  Who knows.

Imho, we were there before everybody wanted him.  We should have made the cut at minimum.  No respect...

QuanMan

« Reply #150 on: August 09, 2017, 09:42:00 PM »
This was Mullin's introduction to battling for the elites as a rebuilding program. For a man of his stature to spend nearly an entire Summer watching the same kid across the country only to not even have a hat at the presser table has to be disappointing, humbling and inspiring for him. This regime still has a ton to prove to get to this level.

Nas was literally the hottest prospect in the country for the entire AAU circuit, credit to Abs finding him early but there was no stopping this momentum. Without winning on the court and taking down the likes of Ratface & Duke in the Garden these kids won't buy in, and why should they? This Fall will be no easier with Luther. We have to give him undivided attention in advance of the Fall Signing Period.

This rejection was like a bandaid, quick and painful but easy to get through. Luther is another story, he is a must get for our future.
Section 3
Section 116

paultzman

« Reply #151 on: August 09, 2017, 09:54:52 PM »
This was Mullin's introduction to battling for the elites as a rebuilding program. For a man of his stature to spend nearly an entire Summer watching the same kid across the country only to not even have a hat at the presser table has to be disappointing, humbling and inspiring for him. This regime still has a ton to prove to get to this level.

Nas was literally the hottest prospect in the country for the entire AAU circuit, credit to Abs finding him early but there was no stopping this momentum. Without winning on the court and taking down the likes of Ratface & Duke in the Garden these kids won't buy in, and why should they? This Fall will be no easier with Luther. We have to give him undivided attention in advance of the Fall Signing Period.

This rejection was like a bandaid, quick and painful but easy to get through. Luther is another story, he is a must get for our future.

Sense Luther gets done right after his September visits. We'll see.

goredmen

« Reply #152 on: August 09, 2017, 10:05:55 PM »
Zach Braziller
 Look for St. John's to sign 1-2 kids early, keep open a few scholarships late. Always will be involved with transfers. #sjubb

In order to sign a really good class of at least 3 guys AND keep a multiple scholarships open late we would have to have 1-2 guys leave the program early after this upcoming season and that's not counting Lovett.

ras

« Reply #153 on: August 09, 2017, 10:39:35 PM »
Matt A just tweeted:

Imho, we were there before everybody wanted him.  We should have made the cut at minimum.  No respect...
Its tough that we were on him a while and Duke comes in last minute and makes the cut and we don't. We may nab 1  5 star which would be great, but we can't compete w the blue bloods at this time in general. He would be doing us no favors in keeping us on his list, if not interested. This way staff can put effo t into other recruits.

goredmen

« Reply #154 on: August 09, 2017, 10:47:23 PM »
Matt A just tweeted:

Its tough that we were on him a while and Duke comes in last minute and makes the cut and we don't. We may nab 1  5 star which would be great, but we can't compete w the blue bloods at this time in general. He would be doing us no favors in keeping us on his list, if not interested. This way staff can put effo t into other recruits.

Agree. This is far less painful than getting strung along through the fall and thinking you're in the mix up to decision day and then watch him put another program's cap on. We've had our fair share of those and those are way worse

« Reply #155 on: August 09, 2017, 10:59:55 PM »
I continue to say the landscape of college basketball has changed in the last 20-25 years.  Heck, more like in the last 15 years. 

We could've landed a top 10 prospect like Little during the time frame I listed above.  Even, though he's outside of the Johnnies' backyard.  Most (not all) top 25 kids nowadays are too enamored with only a handful of programs, and it typically takes a unique situation for other programs to land those type of players in this current landscape of college hoops.

I doubt we land Felipe Lopez, Zendon Hamilton, Ron Artest, and Erick Barkley, if any of those players was high school today.  It'll take a few years of success before we can land those types (particularly, anyone outside of the NYC/NJ area).

Regardless, I'm not sweating it.  Keep pushin' and find the next best available player.

« Reply #156 on: August 09, 2017, 11:53:57 PM »
Let's be honest. We need a good x and o guy on the sideline (mike rice... etc) and another player getter. Matty A works hard and forms good relationships but we need a closer. 

« Reply #157 on: August 09, 2017, 11:59:30 PM »
We need a good x and o guy on the sideline (mike rice... etc) and another player getter.

I'm all for it.  Whatever can make us better. 

Matty A works hard and forms good relationships but we need a closer.

The head coach is usually the closer.

MCNPA

« Reply #158 on: August 10, 2017, 06:34:57 AM »
Listen, I thought it was a long shot to land the kid regardless.  Just thought it was bogus we didn't make his top 5 having worked on him the hardest and earliest.

« Reply #159 on: August 10, 2017, 07:54:48 AM »
Matt A just tweeted:

Matt did great work here?