Player info generated by Garrett Knieste
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: In and Out: 2008-2009 Big East Conference Summer Preview
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 06:44:58 AM »
Todays part includes WVU, Nova, Cuse, and South Florida

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 02:19:36 PM »
I'm not sure if WVU will be better or worse next season but I agree with Pico I do love their incoming class.

Nova brings in another serviceable big to add to what they already have so no reason they can't be better either.

I wonder how Mookie stacks up to Donte Green? Can he replace that production?

South Florida reminds me a lot of where we were a fews seasons ago and not to far off from where we are now. They are just bringing in bodies who were a little better than the ones they had but not exactly Big East talent.

Anyone have any thoughts on any of these teams?

Randomhero423

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 02:45:52 PM »
syracuse will be a very good team next year.  i'm not totally sure about wvu but i think they are a legit march madness team.  villanova will be on the bubble (i can see them winning the NIT), and south florida will compete with st john's and some other teams for being the worst team in the big east.

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 03:06:44 PM »
syracuse will be a very good team next year.  i'm not totally sure about wvu but i think they are a legit march madness team.  villanova will be on the bubble (i can see them winning the NIT), and south florida will compete with st john's and some other teams for being the worst team in the big east.

In your opinion how does Nova go from sweet 16 team to bubble team without losing anyone significant?

Randomhero423

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 03:24:02 PM »
they only won 22 games.  don't make it sound like they were lighting the world on fire durin the regular season..  not to mention they were the 12th seed, and were a slight bubble team last year........

i really don't like the makeup of that team.  although a sweet 16 is nice and all, they beat a siena team in the 2nd round.  so they did not have to beat stiff competition to get there...

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 03:37:46 PM »
they only won 22 games.  don't make it sound like they were lighting the world on fire durin the regular season..  not to mention they were the 12th seed, and were a slight bubble team last year........

i really don't like the makeup of that team.  although a sweet 16 is nice and all, they beat a siena team in the 2nd round.  so they did not have to beat stiff competition to get there...

I never said I liked Nova. I bashed them countlessly over the course of the season I just wanted to see your logic behind your post. However I will give credit where credit is due and Clemson was a very good team to beat in the tourney. Also they were a few wins away from being an elite team. They got screwed when they were in Georgetown on a really phantom call.

I don't like their team. I really dislike Scottie Reynolds but I don't see how they get any worse for next year. I think Sutton will add needed depth to their front line and I think Stokes and Fisher can contribute more than they did last season.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 03:49:21 PM »
I couldn't believe how the 'Nova guys think that they are as good as the Foye/ Nardi/ Ray/ Lowry teams; Fisher, Stokes and Reynolds just put up iffy shots, didn't try to drive.  That has to stop for them to be a good team.  They haven't proven to be high percentage shooters but they think they're the high major level of Butler.  Those guards have to drive into the paint.  They're wildly beatable...I couldn't believe that St. John's laid an egg to them last year, they were the only beatable Big East MSG opponent.

I think the Cuse team will produce differently.  Thank God if Mookie doesn't replace Donte Green's production; Onuaku needs more looks, and Devendorf is the shooter with no conscience on that roster.  But someone has to generate defense-to-offense opportunities and run with Jonny Flynn; in any Cuse game, you could just watch Donte Greene have a chance to get to the rack and choose instead to jack up a three.

Randomhero423

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 04:00:54 PM »
paul harris can be the guy who genreates the D to O opp's.

greene should have stayed.

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 04:21:46 PM »
IMO Syracuse will be the team to beat in the Big East. They are stacked at the guard postion and have that moose in the middle. Devendorf,Harris,Rauitins and Flynn will makeup the best backcourt in the Big East
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 04:32:21 PM by Marco Baldi »

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 04:31:25 PM »
I think USF should be a lot more competitive than last season even though they lost Gransberry who was clearly their best player and one of the better ones in the Big East.

I also agree with Peter that Nova guards shoot way too low percentages which is why I don't particularly like them they force a lot of looks and don't create enough off the dribble which is one of their strengths. Their D is awful weak inside/out too. I was so disappointed at St. John's playing Nova last season too we could have very well beat them and all we got to see was Mike Cavataio hustling his ass off while the rest of the team was doing nothing.

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008, 04:33:29 PM »
I think USF should be a lot more competitive than last season even though they lost Gransberry who was clearly their best player and one of the better ones in the Big East.

I also agree with Peter that Nova guards shoot way too low percentages which is why I don't particularly like them they force a lot of looks and don't create enough off the dribble which is one of their strengths. Their D is awful weak inside/out too. I was so disappointed at St. John's playing Nova last season too we could have very well beat them and all we got to see was Mike Cavataio hustling his ass off while the rest of the team was doing nothing.

USF also has the kid Mike Mercer who got kicked off the Gerogia team. He started alongside Sundiata Gaines

kjd01067

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2008, 07:58:57 PM »
IMO Syracuse will be the team to beat in the Big East. They are stacked at the guard postion and have that moose in the middle. Devendorf,Harris,Rauitins and Flynn will makeup the best backcourt in the Big East

Syracuse is going to be tough for sure this year.  Onuwaku is a beast in the middle and destroyed TJ/Coker/Burrell.  It amazes me with so much athletic ability that Coach Boehiem doesn't run another defense other than the zone once and awhile.  I think the key for Cuse next year will be the play of Rautins.  They sorely missed him last season, the kid may not look like much when you stand next to him but he can shoot the ball and play, I can tell you that because over the years he has drained more than a few on me lol

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2008, 01:27:26 AM »
South Florida got a huge blow by losing Teeng Akol as they released him from his NLI

http://www.zagsblog.net/2008/07/26/chris-gaston-lighting-it-up-vegasorlando-notes/#more-935

**Teeng Akol, a 6-11 incoming freshman at South Florida who played at Our Savior New American on Long Island, has been released from his scholarship and is reportedly considering Missouri, Fresno State, UNLV and West Virginia.
“It is really hard for us to lose Teeng. He is a great kid,” coach Stan Heath said in a statement. “We love him and we were developing a great relationship. Unfortunately, USF was not the right fit for him. We will do everything to we can to make sure he ends up at the right institution and we wish him the best of luck in his future endeavors.”

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2008, 01:36:51 AM »

Syracuse is going to be tough for sure this year.  Onuwaku is a beast in the middle and destroyed TJ/Coker/Burrell.  It amazes me with so much athletic ability that Coach Boehiem doesn't run another defense other than the zone once and awhile.  I think the key for Cuse next year will be the play of Rautins.  They sorely missed him last season, the kid may not look like much when you stand next to him but he can shoot the ball and play, I can tell you that because over the years he has drained more than a few on me lol

James  Southerland is ineligible right?

kjd01067

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2008, 09:56:27 AM »

James  Southerland is ineligible right?

Yea didn't get good enough scores so he is supposedly prepping for another year.

Randomhero423

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2008, 11:28:10 AM »
can't disagree with anything in the 2nd part.  i do think eugene harvey will have a major impact for seton hall though.

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2008, 01:17:26 PM »
can't disagree with anything in the 2nd part.  i do think eugene harvey will have a major impact for seton hall though.

Because you think he a a better version of Eugene lawrence? I think they will be worse than last season and have done the least to improve on paper

Randomhero423

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2008, 01:29:42 PM »
if he plays well they can make a NIT.  if he doesn't they are going nowhere.

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2008, 05:27:12 PM »
Hopefully Bobby G keep his mouth shut and coach.

Youre right, Gomzo better keep his mouth shut or one of his thugs might lump him up