Joe Girard, G, Glens Falls, NY - SYRACUSE

• 231 replies
Re: Joe Girard, G, Glens Falls, NY
« Reply #160 on: February 21, 2018, 12:38:17 PM »
Per Andrew Slater-

2019 sharpshooter Joe Girard III @JG3_____ of Glens Falls & @TheCityRocks will take an unofficial visit to #Duke today, as the Blue Devils take on #Louisville. JG3 is New York’s all-time leading scorer.

@TheAthleticCBB

Don’t do it Joe!

But seriously that is awesome.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #161 on: February 21, 2018, 01:19:20 PM »
Yea he has been averaging like 40 plus points a game each year....i think close to 50 this year.....also the competition is very weak in his section and i believe he is in Class B (NYS goes Class AA, Class A, Class B, Class C, Class D) ....still a great achievement to have this record as a Junior.

« Reply #162 on: February 21, 2018, 01:59:27 PM »
Per Andrew Slater-

2019 sharpshooter Joe Girard III @JG3_____ of Glens Falls & @TheCityRocks will take an unofficial visit to #Duke today, as the Blue Devils take on #Louisville. JG3 is New York’s all-time leading scorer.

@TheAthleticCBB

Don’t do it Joe!

But seriously that is awesome.

Obviously would be shocked if they offered him.

Marillac

« Reply #163 on: February 21, 2018, 03:06:50 PM »
Looked it up. Wally one year behind Felipe. Do remember NYS Empire games Wally getting the better of Felipe at least in scoring. Dad in addition to worries about how he would be used probably didn't think there would be room for his son to shine on that SJU team.
Remember hearing things about Empire State games. Long time ago. I was in HS.
Felipe played in catholic league. Wally played against schools  with 100 kids in a graduating class.
Crazy. I wish we would have gotten him. Always rooted for him at Miami. Don’t think we tried as hard as we could have. Don’t fault anyone. Sad we got Derek brown. Also got the kid from st. Mary’s tim (something) but not Wally. He was the best. Zen don didn’t get the hype that Wally did from News day.
I was a Fred Lyson fan also.

I played against Felipe in High School when I was a senior. He was a sophomore and 2 years older than me
I played against Lloyd Harrison from sewanaka. He went to North Carolina state. He also played for the Red skins and chargers. We were an ok team, with some good athletes. I tackled him once. He had like 270 yards on like 9 carries. It was comical. I was playing free safety and I couldn’t catch him on a sweep.
My point to this is my school was much better then the teams cold spring harbor played. It must have funny at times watching Wally just kill.

I hate to break it to you, but if your team let up 270 rushing yards (on only 9 carries) and you couldn't catch him on a sweep from safety then your team wasn't as good as you thought and you weren't either.

wpc77

« Reply #164 on: February 21, 2018, 08:12:25 PM »
Duke offered.  Bye bye

« Reply #165 on: February 21, 2018, 08:15:23 PM »
Duke offered.  Bye bye

Yep.  But, he'll probably transfer after two years due to being recruited over. 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 08:15:39 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #166 on: February 21, 2018, 09:15:43 PM »
Duke offered.  Bye bye

Yep.  But, he'll probably transfer after two years due to being recruited over. 

Yeah my guess is he still ends up at Michigan.  I think when Coach K finishes up his 2019 recruiting Girard will see what he will be sitting behind (see Jordan Tucker) and choose something else.

« Reply #167 on: February 23, 2018, 10:27:22 PM »
Watched joe score 60 tonight. 16-28 from field. 8 3’s. Did have bunch of turnovers.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 10:27:47 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »

« Reply #168 on: February 24, 2018, 09:09:57 AM »
Watched joe score 60 tonight. 16-28 from field. 8 3’s. Did have bunch of turnovers.
I was there as well.  I've seen him play a few times the past few seasons and wasn't very impressed.  First time seeing him this season and my opinion has changed.

He's a much more complete basketball player now.  I felt he was just a jump shooter in previous seasons.  What I saw last night was a kid who could play at any level of college hoops.

I know some skeptics talk about the competition and I agree it's not great, but he's also not expected to score 50+ a game at the college level. 

His offensive game will transition just fine.  From what I saw, I would say his biggest weakness is his defense.

Recruiting side note, my son went to get his autograph yesterday and he couldn't have been nicer.  My brother took my son over and they had a brief convo about recruiting.  As expected he said he loved Duke.  My brother threw out a St John's comment and he said he talks to Mullin every week or so and we are in consideration.

« Reply #169 on: February 24, 2018, 09:47:36 AM »
I was there as well.  I've seen him play a few times the past few seasons and wasn't very impressed.  First time seeing him this season and my opinion has changed.

He's a much more complete basketball player now.  I felt he was just a jump shooter in previous seasons.  What I saw last night was a kid who could play at any level of college hoops.

I know some skeptics talk about the competition and I agree it's not great, but he's also not expected to score 50+ a game at the college level. 

His offensive game will transition just fine.  From what I saw, I would say his biggest weakness is his defense.

Recruiting side note, my son went to get his autograph yesterday and he couldn't have been nicer.  My brother took my son over and they had a brief convo about recruiting.  As expected he said he loved Duke.  My brother threw out a St John's comment and he said he talks to Mullin every week or so and we are in consideration.

The thing I’ll say about competition is that when it improves he will not have to see double/triple teams on a nightly basis.  I’ve has the opportunity to watch joe up close upward of 100 times. His passing and feel for game are great. Doesn’t get to show it as much with group he has now. 

Mike

« Reply #170 on: February 27, 2018, 12:31:38 AM »
He is a great shooter and it amazes me teams don’t pressure him the minute he gets the ball. Probably cause most don’t have the athletes, but atleast pick him up at half court. He has no problem shooting well beyond the line. Plus he gets every call, he must average 20+ free throws.  What I meant about scoring 10-15 in the city is that he would be on team with more players of his caliber. He wouldn’t be shooting the ball 38 times a game. Just like AAU where he average 10-15.

If he picks the right school he will have a nice career, if he decides to go Duke or Mich he could very well get over recruited. You have to wonder what took Cuse so long to offer with him playing with Buddy during the summer.

Very disappointing lost tonight, you can’t lose in the semi’s when you have a player like him. But that’s what happens when he is the team and they depend on him so much.

TONYD3

« Reply #171 on: February 27, 2018, 02:01:35 AM »
Looked it up. Wally one year behind Felipe. Do remember NYS Empire games Wally getting the better of Felipe at least in scoring. Dad in addition to worries about how he would be used probably didn't think there would be room for his son to shine on that SJU team.
Remember hearing things about Empire State games. Long time ago. I was in HS.
Felipe played in catholic league. Wally played against schools  with 100 kids in a graduating class.
Crazy. I wish we would have gotten him. Always rooted for him at Miami. Don’t think we tried as hard as we could have. Don’t fault anyone. Sad we got Derek brown. Also got the kid from st. Mary’s tim (something) but not Wally. He was the best. Zen don didn’t get the hype that Wally did from News day.
I was a Fred Lyson fan also.

I played against Felipe in High School when I was a senior. He was a sophomore and 2 years older than me
I played against Lloyd Harrison from sewanaka. He went to North Carolina state. He also played for the Red skins and chargers. We were an ok team, with some good athletes. I tackled him once. He had like 270 yards on like 9 carries. It was comical. I was playing free safety and I couldn’t catch him on a sweep.
My point to this is my school was much better then the teams cold spring harbor played. It must have funny at times watching Wally just kill.

I hate to break it to you, but if your team let up 270 rushing yards (on only 9 carries) and you couldn't catch him on a sweep from safety then your team wasn't as good as you thought and you weren't either.
He was pretty good. He shut down Peter warrick from Florida state. Plenty of D 1 athletes do well in HS . Derek brown dominated even though Carey wasn’t very good. Amos zeroue had plenty of huge stat lines vs everyone who wasn’t Garden city ( did well vs them also). Even players like Tristan smith from amityville had some decent stats in HS. Long time ago but I watched Long Island championship on TV. Amityville killed a bethpage team. For some reason bethpage who won Nassau couldn’t stop Jason Fraser and Tristan smith. Think they lost by 30 plus
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 02:02:43 AM by TONYD3 »

Foad

« Reply #172 on: February 27, 2018, 06:53:55 AM »
Plenty of D 1 athletes do well in HS .

I'd think that most D1 athletes do well in HS. Also D2 and D3 athletes.

« Reply #173 on: February 27, 2018, 06:54:22 AM »
He is a great shooter and it amazes me teams don’t pressure him the minute he gets the ball. Probably cause most don’t have the athletes, but atleast pick him up at half court. He has no problem shooting well beyond the line. Plus he gets every call, he must average 20+ free throws.  What I meant about scoring 10-15 in the city is that he would be on team with more players of his caliber. He wouldn’t be shooting the ball 38 times a game. Just like AAU where he average 10-15.

If he picks the right school he will have a nice career, if he decides to go Duke or Mich he could very well get over recruited. You have to wonder what took Cuse so long to offer with him playing with Buddy during the summer.

Very disappointing lost tonight, you can’t lose in the semi’s when you have a player like him. But that’s what happens when he is the team and they depend on him so much.

Thought Shalmont has a good defensive plan against him. 1-3-1 picked him up 40 feet from the hoop and always had at least one extra defender near by. Extending it 3/4 court in the second seemed to wear him down. His shot fell off in the second and still had 56 on slightly under 50% shooting. Glens falls was on the short end of the whistle which was very surprising considering they have Girard and game was in glens falls but like you said they usually get the benefit so really can’t xomplain. I would say that playing on the EYBL is different than playing in the city. The EYBL teams are comprised of the best 1-2 players on teams across the country.

goredmen

« Reply #175 on: February 27, 2018, 05:38:25 PM »
Sounds similar to Kyle McAlarney. McAlarney was more than head and shoulders above his competition in Staten Island high school ball and averaged well over 40 a game I believe. He obviously had big time range also.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 05:38:55 PM by goredmen »

isham

« Reply #176 on: February 27, 2018, 08:05:05 PM »
If Mullin had a son who was a player he probably couldn't even get him to commit to St Johns.  The guy is a failure as a recruiter

Mike

« Reply #177 on: February 27, 2018, 09:09:08 PM »

Thought Shalmont has a good defensive plan against him. 1-3-1 picked him up 40 feet from the hoop and always had at least one extra defender near by. Extending it 3/4 court in the second seemed to wear him down. His shot fell off in the second and still had 56 on slightly under 50% shooting. Glens falls was on the short end of the whistle which was very surprising considering they have Girard and game was in glens falls but like you said they usually get the benefit so really can’t xomplain. I would say that playing on the EYBL is different than playing in the city. The EYBL teams are comprised of the best 1-2 players on teams across the country.

Schalmont played very well, the brothers were amazing. It was nice to see a team pick him up sooner on defense. He just doesn't have consistent help on his team. He gets double team a lot but lets admit it the 2 kids combined don't even equal the athlete he is. lol Amazing shooter, he isn't lucky. lol

pmg911

« Reply #178 on: March 05, 2018, 10:10:39 AM »
If Mullin had a son who was a player he probably couldn't even get him to commit to St Johns.  The guy is a failure as a recruiter

Can you elaborate a little here...? With some clear cut examples...

I think the staff has done a solid job recruiting the last few seasons and played transfer game very well.  They are just not going to attract 1 & done type players, St. John's has never attracted those type kids. (please don't use Mo Harkless as an example, he was NEVER expected to be 1 & done)

Marillac

« Reply #179 on: March 05, 2018, 06:35:33 PM »

Can you elaborate a little here...? With some clear cut examples...

I think the staff has done a solid job recruiting the last few seasons and played transfer game very well.  They are just not going to attract 1 & done type players, St. John's has never attracted those type kids. (please don't use Mo Harkless as an example, he was NEVER expected to be 1 & done)

I don't share his stance, but Mullin couldn't close the deal on his former college teammate, Ron Rowan's son, on the son of his former NBA teammate and guy who named one of his sons after Chris, Manute Bol, and he didn't get former St. John's star Rowan Barrett's son. Missing on all three seems a bit odd...especially Bol. I mean the guy named a son after Chris.