Jalen Gaffney - PG - Westtown School (PA) - Columbus, NJ - UCONN

• 67 replies
Re: Jalen Gaffney - PG - Westtown School (PA) - Columbus, NJ
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2018, 11:36:34 PM »
Jalen Gaffney CG, Team Rio – Quite simply Gaffney has taken his game to a new level since the high school season. Even though his team lost, Gaffney was outstanding. He scored the ball at a high level, and then also showed good feel for the game from the point guard position. Bigger and more explosive than he was in the past, Gaffney can finish around the rim, and then also is a good shooter from deep.

https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Anthony-Edwards-and-Precious-Achiuwa-stole-the-show-on-Sunday-at-the-Under-Armour-Association-117828247

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2018, 04:57:51 PM »
I think Jalen might have played too well this weekend. A ton of high major coaches were there to watch Scottie and Bryan.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2018, 08:09:08 PM »
I think Jalen might have played too well this weekend. A ton of high major coaches were there to watch Scottie and Bryan.

His higher profile and more offers shows SJU did their homework.  But unless you are going to tell me Duke, Kansas, UK or Nova are about to offer there really isn't a school on his list they shouldn't be able to beat out.  If they are scared off by Pitt or Xavier this staff needs to find something else to do.

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2018, 08:18:03 PM »

His higher profile and more offers shows SJU did their homework.  But unless you are going to tell me Duke, Kansas, UK or Nova are about to offer there really isn't a school on his list they shouldn't be able to beat out.  If they are scared off by Pitt or Xavier this staff needs to find something else to do.

I don't think being scared by Pitt or Xavier but it's certainly not helpful if they get involved. I wasn't paying attention to every coach that was in the stands but there 50-75 coaches watching games and he played very well. I wouldn't be surprised if his stock upticks.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2018, 09:35:00 PM »

I don't think being scared by Pitt or Xavier but it's certainly not helpful if they get involved. I wasn't paying attention to every coach that was in the stands but there 50-75 coaches watching games and he played very well. I wouldn't be surprised if his stock upticks.

Understood but his games are very high profile considering his teammates and in many cases the quality of his competition. 

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2018, 09:04:28 AM »
Pittsburgh and Capel are going to make a big push for this kid.

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2018, 09:53:06 PM »
Interview with Jalen.  Kid is blowing up.

Refers to his relationship with Mullin and staff as "phenomenal."

https://www.prepcircuit.com/news_article/show/913732?referrer_id=1293611

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2018, 10:00:20 PM »
Seems like he would be the perfect replacement for Ponds. Just hope he doesn't slip out of our reach.

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2018, 10:24:36 PM »
Always hard to read the tea leaves, but both he and his family's comments on our staff and how they've recruited him for so long are definitely encouraging and somewhat different than the typical stuff you get.  Won't be easy but I think we are positioned well from what I've read.  Now hopefully we can close the deal.

« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2018, 11:25:58 PM »
Interview with Jalen.  Kid is blowing up.

Refers to his relationship with Mullin and staff as "phenomenal."

https://www.prepcircuit.com/news_article/show/913732?referrer_id=1293611
Liked how when he spoke about St. John's his eyes lit up and he had a big smile on his face. Fingers crossed as he looks like the pure point we haven't had in a while.

paultzman

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2018, 09:36:39 AM »
 Very good shot for Johnnies & great kid! As he matures physically, watch out.

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2018, 09:17:05 PM »
Just offered by Marquette.

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2018, 07:43:12 PM »
@PatLawless_
 3m3 minutes ago
Jalen Gaffney, a class of 2019 guard playing for Team Rio (NJ), has picked up an offer from Georgetown.

SJU79

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2018, 08:37:56 PM »
I would say quality  or quantity of offers is irrelevant. SJUi is well established here, they have done a very nice job with him and his family on every level. This is a terrific kid with a boat load of potential. Its not about closing now or getting the deal done, the work is done. My understanding is unless he has a change of heart, which as we al KNOW is very possible  with kids this age SJU is in very good shape here

paultzman

« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2018, 08:40:38 PM »
I would say quality  or quantity of offers is irrelevant. SJUi is well established here, they have done a very nice job with him and his family on every level. This is a terrific kid with a boat load of potential. Its not about closing now or getting the deal done, the work is done. My understanding is unless he has a change of heart, which as we al KNOW is very possible  with kids this age SJU is in very good shape here
+1

goredmen

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2018, 10:39:43 AM »
This sounds like Luther Muhammad all over again. Hope I’m wrong

Wods317

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2018, 11:40:24 AM »
This sounds like Luther Muhammad all over again. Hope I’m wrong

Don’t blame you one bit. Seems like the guys we are in good shape with early the last couple years never seem to commit to us. If the big boys come calling it’s always going to be tough until we start winning.

« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2018, 12:02:40 PM »
What am I missing with this kid?  247 has him as a composite 3 star ranked in the mid two hundreds.