Jalen Gaffney - PG - Westtown School (PA) - Columbus, NJ - UCONN

• 67 replies

paultzman

Re: Jalen Gaffney - PG - Westtown School (PA) - Columbus, NJ
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2018, 12:05:03 PM »
What am I missing with this kid?  247 has him as a composite 3 star ranked in the mid two hundreds. 
Recent evaluation had him rated #127
https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Basketball/RecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 12:09:00 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2018, 12:28:18 PM »
What am I missing with this kid?  247 has him as a composite 3 star ranked in the mid two hundreds. 
Recent evaluation had him rated #127
https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Basketball/RecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool
247's own rankings do have him as a 4 star at 127 (not that that blows me away)  their composite that I was referring to has him a three star at 236.

« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2018, 02:00:52 PM »

You're not missing anything.
The two hundreds is right around the average number for the recruits brought in this year.
Fire Mullin.

Moose

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2018, 06:37:08 PM »
Hahahaha
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2018, 07:39:16 PM »
I have criticized this staff's recruiting but a couple of things about Gaffney.  One his ranking it is already improving (see 247) and I'll bet by end of summer after July when most of the rankings get updated he'll get into top 100.

The other thing is look at his recent offers, Georgetown, Xavier, Va Tech, Pitt etc.  The kid is legit.  He has blown up.

« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2018, 08:25:46 PM »
And now UCONN and Danny Hurley offer.  Still think this kid is a top 250 kid???  Kid is legit, the updated rankings over the summer will reflect this.  Hopefully by then he will be an SJU commit.

https://twitter.com/PatLawless_/status/999444702956007424

QuanMan

Section 3
Section 116

paultzman

« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 02:58:45 PM by paultzman »

QuanMan

Section 3
Section 116

goredmen

« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2018, 09:25:08 PM »
Looking like we are going to whiff on all of the top targets and plan Bs. Better hope the NCAA changes those transfer rules

« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2018, 07:22:15 AM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/Andrew__Slater/status/1041740502708707329
Xavier is likely I sense
Paultz,  what's your opinion as to why it looks like we're going to completely strike out on all of our top hs targets?  Are recruits being scared off by Mullin's lack of a contract extension?

paultzman

« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2018, 08:52:22 AM »
Xavier is likely I sense
Paultz,  what's your opinion as to why it looks like we're going to completely strike out on all of our top hs targets?  Are recruits being scared off by Mullin's lack of a contract extension?
No, just our recruiting approach depends on one guy, Matt. Losing for so long also does not help, but guys like Cooley,  who inherit programs in decline, embrace recruiting fully & require two ACs to beat the bushes for kids. Matt is great at transfer game, but needs front line help pursuing HS kids imo. The HC has to plan, prioritize and organize recruiting and not just be a closer. It appears SJU model differs from norm of most successful programs. Having a good coming season will also help.

« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2018, 09:02:39 AM »
Xavier is likely I sense
No, just our recruiting approach depends on one guy, Matt. Losing for so long also does not help, but guys like Cooley,  who inherit programs in decline, embrace recruiting fully & require two ACs to beat the bushes for kids. Matt is great at transfer game, but needs front line help pursuing HS kids imo. The HC has to plan, prioritize and organize recruiting and not just be a closer. It appears SJU model differs from norm of most successful programs. Having a good coming season will also help.
Thanks for the insight.  Definitely agree Matt needs help out on the recruiting trail. He's the best there is in the transfer game but I don't think we can build a successful Big East program centered solely on transfers and 3 star hs recruits. Hopefully Heron is eligible and we make some serious noise this year to help attract some top talent.

paultzman

« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2018, 11:14:30 AM »
Jalen Gaffney to UConn, per reports.
Zach B

pmg911

« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2018, 11:50:43 AM »
OUCH

Foad

« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2018, 01:11:10 PM »
OUCH

Zach Braziller

Verified account

@NYPost_Brazille
 2h2 hours ago

One thing I had heard about Jalen Gaffney. All the talk about St. John's hiring Mike Rice to land his AAU teammate, Scottie Lewis, hurt them here. He became an afterthought somewhat. They were initially in great shape for him. Just a theory someone connected suggested. #sjubb

Hmmm. Who started that rumor, where was it discussed interminably, and who is evidently to blame for Gafney to Uconn. Stay tuned, I'll be posting clues to the answer in my avatar.

« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2018, 01:27:23 PM »
OUCH

Zach Braziller

Verified account

@NYPost_Brazille
 2h2 hours ago

One thing I had heard about Jalen Gaffney. All the talk about St. John's hiring Mike Rice to land his AAU teammate, Scottie Lewis, hurt them here. He became an afterthought somewhat. They were initially in great shape for him. Just a theory someone connected suggested. #sjubb

Hmmm. Who started that rumor, where was it discussed interminably, and who is evidently to blame for Gafney to Uconn. Stay tuned, I'll be posting clues to the answer in my avatar.

Braziller does not have a clue what he is talking about.  I agree the only chance at Lewis was probably hiring Rice but even if that happened I still don't think Lewis would have come anyway. 

Gaffney wasn't tied to Rice.  His recruitment was totally different.  And the implication that talking up Rice only to have it not happen actually hurt the recruitment is complete nonsense.  Gaffney did not choose Hurley and UCONN because he felt disappointed that "he thought SJU was going to hire Rice because of the chatter" as opposed to just "not hiring Rice with no chatter."

This staff has serious issues.  Serious issues, and even a good year this year will not magically fix them.

We saw it with the recruitment of Luther Muhammad.  Rival staffs are eating this staff's lunch and it isn't because of Mike Rice which didn't happen anyway. 

wpc77

« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2018, 02:12:02 PM »
OUCH

Zach Braziller

Verified account

@NYPost_Brazille
 2h2 hours ago

Braziller does not have a clue what he is talking about.  I agree the only chance at Lewis was probably hiring Rice but even if that happened I still don't think Lewis would have come anyway. 

Gaffney wasn't tied to Rice.  His recruitment was totally different.  And the implication that talking up Rice only to have it not happen actually hurt the recruitment is complete nonsense.  Gaffney did not choose Hurley and UCONN because he felt disappointed that "he thought SJU was going to hire Rice because of the chatter" as opposed to just "not hiring Rice with no chatter."

This staff has serious issues.  Serious issues, and even a good year this year will not magically fix them.

We saw it with the recruitment of Luther Muhammad.  Rival staffs are eating this staff's lunch and it isn't because of Mike Rice which didn't happen anyway. 

"someone connected".  I assumed by that, he meant Matt A.