Chris Mullin's seat getting hotter?

• 779 replies

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
Re: Chris Mullin's seat getting hotter?
« Reply #120 on: January 12, 2018, 12:41:00 PM »
Lol I hear you wasju and foad. Me personally I thought he was ok. I have no idea what’s up with kassoum. He is really a defensive player. He should be grabbing more boards and playing better defense. But he actually is actually a great complimentary player to another big.

Players don't get better when they have horrible coaching, no direction, and no discipline. The 3 hallmarks of the Mullin era.

« Reply #121 on: January 12, 2018, 12:44:55 PM »
So if this ends poorly with Mullin getting booed and then fired. Then Louie distances himself in disgust. Does that now make Walter Berry the face of the program? I can get on board with that. But seriously this fan base sucks.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #122 on: January 12, 2018, 12:53:32 PM »
So if this ends poorly with Mullin getting booed and then fired. Then Louie distances himself in disgust. Does that now make Walter Berry the face of the program? I can get on board with that. But seriously this fan base sucks.

Yeah you're right we should all be ecstatic to have the great Chris Mullin, and shouldn't question him at all because he used to be a great player for us over 30 years ago. Let's keep racking up losses, losing players to transfers, putting Chris's buddies who are as clueless as him in assistant coaching positions and wasting our money on season tickets!

It's not the fanbase's fault that the administration is incompetent, and put an all time legend in this position to begin with, when he had no coaching experience, or track record whatsoever. I don't think the fan base sucks, I think it's a mostly smart and knowledgable fanbase who isn't blind to the fact that Mullin sucks as a coach, hasn't improved one bit in 3 years, and will never become better.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 12:54:13 PM by thetruth8734 »

« Reply #123 on: January 12, 2018, 12:57:58 PM »

Yeah you're right we should all be ecstatic to have the great Chris Mullin, and shouldn't question him at all because he used to be a great player for us over 30 years ago. Let's keep racking up losses, losing players to transfers, putting Chris's buddies who are as clueless as him in assistant coaching positions and wasting our money on season tickets!

It's not the fanbase's fault that the administration is incompetent, and put an all time legend in this position to begin with, when he had no coaching experience, or track record whatsoever. I don't think the fan base sucks, I think it's a mostly smart and knowledgable fanbase who isn't blind to the fact that Mullin sucks as a coach, hasn't improved one bit in 3 years, and will never become better.

Exhibit A on fan base thing
Root for Duke, you will feel better.

Foad

« Reply #124 on: January 12, 2018, 01:02:37 PM »

Worst fans in the world, any sport.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #125 on: January 12, 2018, 01:04:47 PM »

Root for the Washington Generals you'll feel better.

goredmen

« Reply #126 on: January 12, 2018, 01:12:21 PM »

Serious question: Should SJU fans just be happy and not criticize anything despite having had nothing decent to root for in 15 years and when it appears we won't have anything decent to root for over the foreseeable future as well?

TONYD3

« Reply #127 on: January 12, 2018, 01:12:34 PM »

This way of thinking will keep us in last place forever.

TONYD3

« Reply #128 on: January 12, 2018, 01:13:11 PM »

Serious question: Should SJU fans just be happy and not criticize anything despite having had nothing decent to root for in 15 years and when it appears we won't have anything decent to root for over the foreseeable future as well?
That is not true

goredmen

« Reply #129 on: January 12, 2018, 01:16:49 PM »

That is not true

What's not true?

« Reply #130 on: January 12, 2018, 01:25:12 PM »

Criticize all you want. Keep having coaches fired and we will be terrible forever. ST John's is not hiring John Calipari or Rick Pitino to come in and turn things around in a year or two. Mullin has not done well so far. Grts another year or two before any of this talk should be occurring.

Foad

« Reply #131 on: January 12, 2018, 01:25:22 PM »

Most fans are not happy when their teams lose and those who are unhappy are obviously free to criticize whatever they want whenever they want. With the caveat that some people are only happy when they have something to complain about. That said there is every reason to be unhappy with this years results (and lasts years and the year before that and that and that and that) and it certainly can be interesting to discuss the situation and what changes might be made to improve it. OTOH I personally find mindless witless whining boring and annoying. Neither would I call challenging Mullin to resign to prove his manhood criticism. I just think it's silly.

I wrote somewhere that I try to enjoy college basketball in the same way I enjoy my other hobbies, regardless of the results. That's not always easy or even possible, but in the main I do, even when they stink as they have much of my life. I don't understand why people spend their precious free time doing something that makes them miserable. If SJU BB made me as unhappy as it seems to make some posters here, I'd find another way to amuse myself. Until the chafing got too bad and then I'd probably watch some TV.

Foad

« Reply #132 on: January 12, 2018, 01:26:48 PM »

This way of thinking will keep us in last place forever.

There is nothing that you can think that will have any effect on the direction of the basketball program. Unless you're Uri Geller or something.

goredmen

« Reply #133 on: January 12, 2018, 01:42:57 PM »

Criticize all you want. Keep having coaches fired and we will be terrible forever. ST John's is not hiring John Calipari or Rick Pitino to come in and turn things around in a year or two. Mullin has not done well so far. Grts another year or two before any of this talk should be occurring.

I agree. But we don't need a John Calipari or Rick Pitino to win. The problem is that people here are against hiring a young up and coming coach when in fact that is exactly what we need

Foad

« Reply #134 on: January 12, 2018, 01:52:18 PM »
I agree. But we don't need a John Calipari or Rick Pitino to win. The problem is that people here are against hiring a young up and coming coach when in fact that is exactly what we need

Up and coming like Jarvis and Fran and Norm you mean? Or you mean kind of like them except they don't end up stinking.

« Reply #135 on: January 12, 2018, 01:57:16 PM »
There is no magic formula.  Again they are going to ride this out this year, in the off season maybe they make changes or maybe they don't, but either way assuming they can keep the roster intact and hold on to the recruiting class they are going to sell next year as the promised land.  But that is the larger issue when you don't get things going much earlier it puts ENORMOUS pressure on you by year 4.  And they will be staring at it next year.

goredmen

« Reply #136 on: January 12, 2018, 01:57:55 PM »

Up and coming like Jarvis and Fran and Norm you mean? Or you mean kind of like them except they don't end up stinking.

Like all things, some of them work out and some don't. But Xavier and Butler have hired nothing but young hungry coaches over the past decade+ and I'd say it worked out great for them, wouldn't you?

Foad

« Reply #137 on: January 12, 2018, 02:12:23 PM »

Like all things, some of them work out and some don't. But Xavier and Butler have hired nothing but young hungry coaches over the past decade+ and I'd say it worked out great for them, wouldn't you?

I wasn't saying that it couldn't work out, just that it hasn't. Some up and comers succeed, some fail and are never heard from again. Some tired old retreads have success the second or third time around. Some stink forever. If there was a magic formula every program would have a great coach and they'd all have .500 records. 

« Reply #138 on: January 12, 2018, 02:43:23 PM »

+1
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 02:43:50 PM by Celtics11 »

« Reply #139 on: January 12, 2018, 02:44:40 PM »

Root for the Washington Generals you'll feel better.
LOL he already is and he likes it.