Chris Mullin's seat getting hotter?

• 779 replies
Re: Chris Mullin's seat getting hotter?
« Reply #400 on: January 17, 2018, 12:06:46 PM »
All I did was list our last 26 years. And unlike Fun I count all of Jarvis wins. We averaged a 16-15 record for last 26 years. That is just Math. And not even that ridiculous core Math my 3rd grade son is taught. Just good old adding and division. Where is fallacy in that?

You wasn't dealing in fallacies on your previous post, but I'm talking about overall on this topic. 

« Reply #401 on: January 17, 2018, 12:07:43 PM »

I really think a move to a lesser conference should be considered.

Congrats everyone, we found the dumbest sentence to ever be written here

Well I guess you would know dumb things.
If you walked across the street for 26 years and got hit by a car every year wouldn't try something else?
Bad hires than firing that guy every 3 or 4 years is not working. It is not.
But complaining and bitching about every coach we have had in past 26 years seems to be working for some of you. Good for you!

« Reply #402 on: January 17, 2018, 12:09:49 PM »
All I did was list our last 26 years. And unlike Fun I count all of Jarvis wins. We averaged a 16-15 record for last 26 years. That is just Math. And not even that ridiculous core Math my 3rd grade son is taught. Just good old adding and division. Where is fallacy in that?

You wasn't dealing in fallacies on your previous post, but I'm talking about overall on this topic. 

Best chance for us to be good in the next two years is to keep Mullin and hope that for once incoming kids meet expectations and Ponds stays.
I didn't start topic but that is my argument to firing Mullin after this year.

goredmen

« Reply #403 on: January 17, 2018, 12:16:37 PM »

If you walked across the street for 26 years and got hit by a car every year wouldn't try something else?
But complaining and bitching about every coach we have had in past 26 years seems to be working for some of you. Good for you!

Bitching about coaches has nothing to do with moving down a conference. Please explain how moving down a conference would cause the flip to switch in our administration where they would actually make a good hire. It would actually make it much more difficult to hire a good coach since pretty much our only draw now is that we are in the Big East.

Not to mention the tons of money the athletic department would lose, the loss of whatever interest we have left among casual fans, fewer national TV games, goodbye to home games at MSG altogether, no invites to premier November tournaments, no games vs Duke, and much harder to recruit any type of decent player because of all these reasons.

Sounds smart, lets do it!

TONYD3

« Reply #404 on: January 17, 2018, 12:31:39 PM »

Bitching about coaches has nothing to do with moving down a conference. Please explain how moving down a conference would cause the flip to switch in our administration where they would actually make a good hire. It would actually make it much more difficult to hire a good coach since pretty much our only draw now is that we are in the Big East.

Not to mention the tons of money the athletic department would lose, the loss of whatever interest we have left among casual fans, fewer national TV games, goodbye to home games at MSG altogether, no invites to premier November tournaments, no games vs Duke, and much harder to recruit any type of decent player because of all these reasons.

Because he a true believer. He isn’t the only one. Mullin can do know wrong. Anyone even half paying attention knows Mullin is in over his head. Watch a game with a freind who isn’t part of the Mullin cult. See what they say. Talk to someone who is a fan of another team . They all think we are a joke. But they enlightened Mullin fanatics know all. Trust the process. They have all the money.
We are not in year 3 in a complete rebuild, the rebuild starts with a new coaching staff.
Today is only loss 7. Beat downs are coming. Do we get to 10 wins or 50 losses first?

« Reply #405 on: January 17, 2018, 12:31:52 PM »

Based off the last 26 years I do not think the school has the resources or the desire to compete at a high level in a major conference. I think reducing the Garden games made sense financially and for more of a home court / less depressing atmosphere. We simply can't fill the Garden with a majority of ST John's fans. However that was just one more step towards "mid majordom".  Finally lets be honest, outside of Depaul what BE school has a less impressive campus / area. I will grant you Nova is not much better but still better.

Listen, I was only half serious but I do think we should embrace a mid major philosophy in our next coaching hire and in recruiting. Recruit a solid game coach that will be here for the long haul who is not going to swing for the fences with recruits but get solid kids that can shoot the three and fit whatever system he chooses to play.

Or we can hire former star players and guys who have been in a TV studio last 10 years hoping to catch lightening in a bottle. Based off last 2 hires I am guessing Walter Berry and Dick Vitale might be candidates to replace Mullin.

goredmen

« Reply #406 on: January 17, 2018, 12:36:26 PM »

Because he a true believer. He isn’t the only one. Mullin can do know wrong. Anyone even half paying attention knows Mullin is in over his head. Watch a game with a freind who isn’t part of the Mullin cult. See what they say. Talk to someone who is a fan of another team . They all think we are a joke. But they enlightened Mullin fanatics know all. Trust the process. They have all the money.
We are not in year 3 in a complete rebuild, the rebuild starts with a new coaching staff.
Today is only loss 7. Beat downs are coming. Do we get to 10 wins or 50 losses first?

I don't know what you're talking about. I don't think Mullin is a good coach at all. The answer is not to move down a conference. One has nothing to do with the other. If you really want to kill the program completely, move it to the A10

« Reply #407 on: January 17, 2018, 12:41:20 PM »
I agree with Tony D.
Have a lot of friends who are college basketball junkies who are not St. John's fans.  Can tell he is in overhead and he looks lost on sidelines.

People keep saying give him time.  That is the worst thing you can possibly do if you have a feeling a person is not right for the job.  This is Division 1 athletics you want to win games not let people learn on the job who are making 2 million bucks a year.

Foad

« Reply #408 on: January 17, 2018, 12:48:18 PM »
Have a lot of friends

Find that hard to believe.

« Reply #409 on: January 17, 2018, 12:52:30 PM »
Have a lot of friends

But not in your case. Actually I bet people are quite drawn to you...you know like passing motorists to a car accident or passing pedestrians to someone threatening to jump off a roof.  ;) :)

Pete88

« Reply #410 on: January 17, 2018, 12:58:43 PM »
I am in the glorious state of NC for the winter and golfed today.  As a result I did not check JJ until after 4.  What I saw was incredible. 5+ pages of posts on an inane topic which I skimmed and found most amusing.  Mullin's seat is not getting hot except in some of your, dare I say feeble, minds.  Some of the pieces for a rebuild are here and more are coming next year.  I feel like I'm reading a bunch of old ladies arguing illogically about a topic they barely understand and, being a 69 year old married man, I know whereof I speak.  If Mullin is fired our inability to keep coaches will lead us to a program on the Iona level.   Yes, this season is F..ked up for reasons  beyond many of your comprehensions.  Being a Queens guy I have always been a SJ fan even though I went to Fordham.  If Mullin gets fired I may have to  root for the Rams and that will be a sad state of affairs.  Mullin is our last best hope.   

Well, stick to talking about marriages and golf, and we'll stick to talking about basketball. 

PS....  I'm never a person who believes anyone is a team or program last best hope (only if we brought in Coach K, Cal or any coach of or similar ilk and couldn't win, then you may have a point).  No offense, but that's loser/defeatist talk, IMO.

If Mullin leaves in the next few years we are going on close to 30 years of constantly switching coaches and incredible mediocrity not worthy of a formerly great program.  I have been an irrational optimist for a long time but the negativity associated with suggesting Mullin should be fired surprises and angers me.  If you are a player who would you rather play for, two NBA greats  or a Danny Hurley.  Kids are more impressed by personalities and fame then by someone who may or may not be the next great coach. 

I'll give Mullin another season, and he'll get one by the powers that be.  But, a one, two or three win conference season in your 3rd season could be grounds for possible firing. 

St. John's should be lined up with 5 and high-level 4-star kids because Mullin and Richmond are on the staff, per your description.  So, you don't think Danny Hurley could possibly land similar players if he was coaching at St. John's?  I could be wrong, but I think he could recruit equally, if not slightly better.  We won't know unless we cross that bridge.

Another thing....  Kids also wanna win ball games and play in the dance. 

Give CM some time, it will happen.  If it doesn't, look forward to another decade of mediocrity.  I predicted a 10-11 win season but shit happens.  Who knew Clarke would be a poor rebounder.  Who knew Ponds would shoot the ways he has from 3.  Who knew Lovett would get hurt and react like a complete pussy.  Who Knew Owens would not develop a love for pizza and put on 20.  Who knew Yakwe would continue to be an enigma.  I believe the staff is teaching  but the collective Hoop IQ of the team is preventing them from learning.  And, by the way, the bickering between certain posters is incredibly old ladylike.

Basically, you're giving excuses.  It's that simple.  I'll say it again, give him one more season, and if we're not dancing, then move on.

You pretty much summed it up. The opposition argument of we need to keep Mullin or we'll go back to being mediocre is lazy and weak. What the hell do those posters think we are with Mullin? This current team is worse than mediocre! Status quo only works when it yields good results. This is not the case with SJU and CM. Either win more games or Gtfo.

Heck!  We won 6 conference games in a much better Big East with a six-man rotation that included all freshman and God'sgift Achiuwa.  That was also done without a point guard and basically, only one reliable outside shooter.

That is just asinine...

I guess teams that typically finish in the middle to bottom of power conferences should all bolt for lesser conferences... that's a real good business decision...

Fully expect Vanderbilt and Wake Forest and Northwestern and Illinois and Penn State and Nebraska and Boston College and Colorado and Texas Tech and Ole Miss (just some that pop to mind)... to drop the big paychecks and status of belonging to existing power conference to become an irrelevant IONA.

« Reply #411 on: January 17, 2018, 12:59:20 PM »
If there is a more depressing fan site in all of college basketball, or a more negative fan base, please let me know it. I'd like to visit it before I slit my wrists, drink Draino, put my head in an oven, and hang myself. (But first I want to watch us play Xavier tonight.)

Foad

« Reply #412 on: January 17, 2018, 01:04:25 PM »
Have a lot of friends

But not in your case. Actually I bet people are quite drawn to you...you know like passing motorists to a car accident or passing pedestrians to someone threatening to jump off a roof.

I have two friends. One of them's dead and the other one I can't stand.

« Reply #413 on: January 17, 2018, 01:10:17 PM »
Man, it was hard to read this entire thread. But it's quite clear this fan base is stuck in the 80's. St. John's is no longer a destination and hasn't been in quite some time. We haven't won an NCAA game in decades!! We have so many disadvantages against many of the bigger schools who have better resources and way better facilities. It's hard to see how anyone could expect we'd be challenging for 4 and 5 star recruits at this point.

As for Mullin, I don't know if he's the answer, but I'm happy that the rosters seem to be balanced for next year, and we should have a very talented roster. 

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #414 on: January 17, 2018, 01:20:40 PM »
Man, it was hard to read this entire thread. But it's quite clear this fan base is stuck in the 80's. St. John's is no longer a destination and hasn't been in quite some time. We haven't won an NCAA game in decades!! We have so many disadvantages against many of the bigger schools who have better resources and way better facilities. It's hard to see how anyone could expect we'd be challenging for 4 and 5 star recruits at this point.

As for Mullin, I don't know if he's the answer, but I'm happy that the rosters seem to be balanced for next year, and we should have a very talented roster. 

Until Ponds and Owens transfer, and Brooks never suits up for us. Then it will be another banner year. But seriously over/under 2019 for Mullin to get his 10th Big East win?

« Reply #415 on: January 17, 2018, 01:24:00 PM »
I am in the glorious state of NC for the winter and golfed today.  As a result I did not check JJ until after 4.  What I saw was incredible. 5+ pages of posts on an inane topic which I skimmed and found most amusing.  Mullin's seat is not getting hot except in some of your, dare I say feeble, minds.  Some of the pieces for a rebuild are here and more are coming next year.  I feel like I'm reading a bunch of old ladies arguing illogically about a topic they barely understand and, being a 69 year old married man, I know whereof I speak.  If Mullin is fired our inability to keep coaches will lead us to a program on the Iona level.   Yes, this season is F..ked up for reasons  beyond many of your comprehensions.  Being a Queens guy I have always been a SJ fan even though I went to Fordham.  If Mullin gets fired I may have to  root for the Rams and that will be a sad state of affairs.  Mullin is our last best hope.   

Well, stick to talking about marriages and golf, and we'll stick to talking about basketball. 

PS....  I'm never a person who believes anyone is a team or program last best hope (only if we brought in Coach K, Cal or any coach of or similar ilk and couldn't win, then you may have a point).  No offense, but that's loser/defeatist talk, IMO.

If Mullin leaves in the next few years we are going on close to 30 years of constantly switching coaches and incredible mediocrity not worthy of a formerly great program.  I have been an irrational optimist for a long time but the negativity associated with suggesting Mullin should be fired surprises and angers me.  If you are a player who would you rather play for, two NBA greats  or a Danny Hurley.  Kids are more impressed by personalities and fame then by someone who may or may not be the next great coach. 

I'll give Mullin another season, and he'll get one by the powers that be.  But, a one, two or three win conference season in your 3rd season could be grounds for possible firing. 

St. John's should be lined up with 5 and high-level 4-star kids because Mullin and Richmond are on the staff, per your description.  So, you don't think Danny Hurley could possibly land similar players if he was coaching at St. John's?  I could be wrong, but I think he could recruit equally, if not slightly better.  We won't know unless we cross that bridge.

Give CM some time, it will happen.  If it doesn't, look forward to another decade of mediocrity.  I predicted a 10-11 win season but shit happens.  Who knew Clarke would be a poor rebounder.  Who knew Ponds would shoot the ways he has from 3.  Who knew Lovett would get hurt and react like a complete pussy.  Who Knew Owens would not develop a love for pizza and put on 20.  Who knew Yakwe would continue to be an enigma.  I believe the staff is teaching  but the collective Hoop IQ of the team is preventing them from learning.  And, by the way, the bickering between certain posters is incredibly old ladylike.

Basically, you're giving excuses.  It's that simple.  I'll say it again, give him one more season, and if we're not dancing, then move on.

You pretty much summed it up. The opposition argument of we need to keep Mullin or we'll go back to being mediocre is lazy and weak. What the hell do those posters think we are with Mullin? This current team is worse than mediocre! Status quo only works when it yields good results. This is not the case with SJU and CM. Either win more games or Gtfo.

Heck!  We won 6 conference games in a much better Big East with a six-man rotation that included all freshman and God'sgift Achiuwa.  That was also done without a point guard and basically, only one reliable outside shooter.

That is just asinine...

I guess teams that typically finish in the middle to bottom of power conferences should all bolt for lesser conferences... that's a real good business decision...

Fully expect Vanderbilt and Wake Forest and Northwestern and Illinois and Penn State and Nebraska and Boston College and Colorado and Texas Tech and Ole Miss (just some that pop to mind)... to drop the big paychecks and status of belonging to existing power conference to become an irrelevant IONA.

You mean the Football schools you just listed?

« Reply #416 on: January 17, 2018, 01:59:00 PM »
If there is a more depressing fan site in all of college basketball, or a more negative fan base, please let me know it. I'd like to visit it before I slit my wrists, drink Draino, put my head in an oven, and hang myself. (But first I want to watch us play Xavier tonight.)

Tell you what....  Go visit any or every team in power conferences fan site, and come back after you're done, and I bet you'll have a different view of our fans.  If not, then you were reading those forums with your eyes closed.

« Reply #417 on: January 17, 2018, 02:06:14 PM »

There is really only a very, small percentage of people calling for his head this season.  I think most are willing to give him another season.  But, it's hard to deny the brand of ball being witnessed.  You'd have to wonder, if we only win 3 or less conference games.  Like I said, we won twice that many in a MUCH better Big East conference playing only 6 players (5 freshmen and Achiuwa) with no point guard and only one reliable outside shooter.

I don't ever think we can consistently compete with the blue bloods or even a few others who are of similar ilk.  But, I also ask why we can't?  At least, we should occasionally compete, right?  Villanova and Georgetown (before they recently fell off) was able to do it.  So, why can't we?  If you think small, then you'll continue to get small time results. 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 02:07:35 PM by mjdinkins »

Pete88

« Reply #418 on: January 17, 2018, 02:06:52 PM »

That is just asinine...

You mean the Football schools you just listed?

LOL.  Oh Yeah, those are some powerhouse football schools.  Based on your logic, more of a reason for them to step down.  They suck at both sports.
Its an asinine suggestion.  Schools drool to be in a conference like the BE not leave it. 

« Reply #419 on: January 17, 2018, 02:06:54 PM »

Tell you what....  Go visit any or every team in power conferences fan site, and come back after you're done, and I bet you'll have a different view of our fans.  If not, then you were reading those forums with your eyes closed.
Some of our fans must have really loved the '62 Mets and their 40-120 record. For those too young too have lived through it they would have been in their glory. I was 8 at the time and the Mets were known as the lovable losers. Guess they see St. J's with Chris Mullin at the helm the same way.