Chris Mullin's seat getting hotter?

• 779 replies
Re: Chris Mullin's seat getting hotter?
« Reply #440 on: January 17, 2018, 04:35:54 PM »
If they are going to just operate the way they have since Louie retired and either go on the cheap (Norm), reach(Norm) or flash over substance(Lavin /Mullin) and then change direction every 4 years or so then yes I think they should consider moving down.

That's a lot of TV money to give up.

I know not going to happen.
Just out of curiosity would you rather own the A10 or stink in BE?
BE now is not BE I grew up with so for me kind of an easy choice.

You're assuming we'd recruit the same caliber of player in the A10 that we do now. We wouldn't. Shamorie Ponds, Justin Simon and Marvin Clark aren't going to a school to play in the A10, and we still wouldn't be the best team in that conference this year. Neither is J'Raan Brooks. There's absolutely no reason to think we'd dominate the A10

That is a good point as far as Simon and Ponds type kids go.
Doubt Brooks ever actually shows up here no matter what conference we play in.
I think you would still get the Clark's and Owens off the world though.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 04:37:59 PM by we are sju »

Foad

« Reply #441 on: January 17, 2018, 04:52:02 PM »
If they are going to just operate the way they have since Louie retired and either go on the cheap (Norm), reach(Norm) or flash over substance(Lavin /Mullin) and then change direction every 4 years or so then yes I think they should consider moving down.

I know not going to happen.Just out of curiosity would you rather own the A10 or stink in BE?

Unless they move to the MAAC and kick the shit out of Iona to annoy Baldi every year I'm happy enough in the BE.

Pete88

« Reply #442 on: January 17, 2018, 04:52:06 PM »

Own the A10?  That's like saying you're #1 in the rotary phone market. 

Foad

« Reply #443 on: January 17, 2018, 04:57:47 PM »
Man, it was hard to read this entire thread. But it's quite clear this fan base is stuck in the 80's. St. John's is no longer a destination and hasn't been in quite some time. We haven't won an NCAA game in decades!! We have so many disadvantages against many of the bigger schools who have better resources and way better facilities. It's hard to see how anyone could expect we'd be challenging for 4 and 5 star recruits at this point.

As for Mullin, I don't know if he's the answer, but I'm happy that the rosters seem to be balanced for next year, and we should have a very talented roster. 

There is really only a very, small percentage of people calling for his head this season.  I think most are willing to give him another season.  But, it's hard to deny the brand of ball being witnessed.  You'd have to wonder, if we only win 3 or less conference games.  Like I said, we won twice that many in a MUCH better Big East conference playing only 6 players (5 freshmen and Achiuwa) with no point guard and only one reliable outside shooter.

I don't ever think we can consistently compete with the blue bloods or even a few others who are of similar ilk.  But, I also ask why we can't?  At least, we should occasionally compete, right?  Villanova and Georgetown (before they recently fell off) was able to do it.  So, why can't we?  If you think small, then you'll continue to get small time results. 

I won't argue with you about the quality of play. I hope my post didn't come off to make it seem like I'm satisfied. I'm certainly not.

As far as Georgetown, are you saying that St. John's University is on par with Georgetown, in the big picture of things?

Are you referring to Georgetown of a few years ago or now? 

If you're referring to a few years ago, then why we can't?  We are the Hoyas (likely worse), if you're referring to now.

Pretty sure he's referring to the difference between a shitty commuter school in Jamaica versus a prestigious university in the nation's capital that boasts Bill Clinton, Anthony Scalia and King Felipe of Spain as graduates. The big picture is bigger than basketball.

Yeah, it's bigger to people who are there for anything outside of playing men's basketball.  Well over the majority of these kids playing basketball (or even football) aren't going to a particular school for its prestigious education.  So, yes we are on par with Georgetown or any, other Big East school for that matter.  Academically to Georgtown? No.

I'm very, aware of Georgetown's education.  But, thanks anyway. 

Too bad, you don't, have one, you'd use, fewer, commas.

So, anyhoo, I'm surprised that you think that the amenities offered by a particular university don't effect its ability to recruit student athletes. That's seems like a fallacy to me. Some kids go to Stanford and Notre Dame and Dook for sports plus the educational opportunities. Some go to football schools for the facilities and the large cash payments. Some go to Arizona and Florida for the weather and the trim. There's plenty of reasons to go to Georgetown - academics, location - and few to go to St John's.

« Reply #444 on: January 17, 2018, 04:58:17 PM »

Own the A10?  That's like saying you're #1 in the rotary phone market. 

Would make Selection Sunday enjoyable more often

« Reply #445 on: January 17, 2018, 05:02:58 PM »
Man, it was hard to read this entire thread. But it's quite clear this fan base is stuck in the 80's. St. John's is no longer a destination and hasn't been in quite some time. We haven't won an NCAA game in decades!! We have so many disadvantages against many of the bigger schools who have better resources and way better facilities. It's hard to see how anyone could expect we'd be challenging for 4 and 5 star recruits at this point.

As for Mullin, I don't know if he's the answer, but I'm happy that the rosters seem to be balanced for next year, and we should have a very talented roster. 

There is really only a very, small percentage of people calling for his head this season.  I think most are willing to give him another season.  But, it's hard to deny the brand of ball being witnessed.  You'd have to wonder, if we only win 3 or less conference games.  Like I said, we won twice that many in a MUCH better Big East conference playing only 6 players (5 freshmen and Achiuwa) with no point guard and only one reliable outside shooter.

I don't ever think we can consistently compete with the blue bloods or even a few others who are of similar ilk.  But, I also ask why we can't?  At least, we should occasionally compete, right?  Villanova and Georgetown (before they recently fell off) was able to do it.  So, why can't we?  If you think small, then you'll continue to get small time results. 

I won't argue with you about the quality of play. I hope my post didn't come off to make it seem like I'm satisfied. I'm certainly not.

As far as Georgetown, are you saying that St. John's University is on par with Georgetown, in the big picture of things?

If you're referring to a few years ago, then why we can't?  We are the Hoyas (likely worse), if you're referring to now.

Pretty sure he's referring to the difference between a shitty commuter school in Jamaica versus a prestigious university in the nation's capital that boasts Bill Clinton, Anthony Scalia and King Felipe of Spain as graduates. The big picture is bigger than basketball.

Yeah, it's bigger to people who are there for anything outside of playing men's basketball.  Well over the majority of these kids playing basketball (or even football) aren't going to a particular school for its prestigious education.  So, yes we are on par with Georgetown or any, other Big East school for that matter.  Academically to Georgtown? No.

Too bad, you don't, have one, you'd use, fewer, commas.

So, anyhoo, I'm surprised that you think that the amenities offered by a particular university don't effect its ability to recruit student athletes. That's seems like a fallacy to me. Some kids go to Stanford and Notre Dame and Dook for sports plus the educational opportunities. Some go to football schools for the facilities and the large cash payments. Some go to Arizona and Florida for the weather and the trim. There's plenty of reasons to go to Georgetown - academics, location - and few to go to St John's.

Go F yourself, punk and hope you're capable of grading papers since someone else wasn't.  Lethargy isn't only relegated to our staff.  Where's that darn mailbox?  Maybe, I should dig up the pic, bitch ass.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 05:06:14 PM by mjdinkins »

Foad

« Reply #446 on: January 17, 2018, 05:21:12 PM »
Go F yourself, punk

Golly, you sound, ferocious. I, nearly wet, myself.

and hope you're capable of grading papers since someone else wasn't.  Lethargy isn't only relegated to our staff.  Where's that darn mailbox?  Maybe, I should dig up the pic, bitch ass.

Dig up whatever you want stupid. I live at 91 Elliot Road, come on by, happy hour starts at noon, but be advised the dogs haven't mauled anyone since those two Jehovah Witnesses around Labor Day.

« Reply #447 on: January 17, 2018, 05:28:12 PM »
Go F yourself, punk

Golly, you sound, ferocious. I, nearly wet, myself.

and hope you're capable of grading papers since someone else wasn't.  Lethargy isn't only relegated to our staff.  Where's that darn mailbox?  Maybe, I should dig up the pic, bitch ass.

Dig up whatever you want stupid. I live at 91 Elliot Road, come on by, happy hour starts at noon, but be advised the dogs haven't mauled anyone since those two Jehovah Witnesses around Labor Day.

Your punk ass attempt to hide, but I'm very well aware.  Besides, in my initial post to your pussy ass, I said the "majority."  But, nicely of you to parse words, douche.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 06:46:05 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #448 on: January 17, 2018, 05:47:33 PM »

Yes, FS1 contract doesn't expire until 2025.

TONYD3

« Reply #449 on: January 17, 2018, 06:14:06 PM »

So what you are saying we competed without cupards (cupboards)

« Reply #450 on: January 17, 2018, 06:40:18 PM »
How much $ does St John's approximately get per year from FS1 contract...

and what % of total basketball program budget does it cover ?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 06:40:49 PM by RedStormNC »

« Reply #451 on: January 17, 2018, 06:58:47 PM »

Own the Atlantic 10? LOL we didn't even own the ECAC Metro under Lou.  Rutgers, Iona, Seton Hall kicked our ass plenty.

« Reply #452 on: January 18, 2018, 09:55:23 AM »

Yeah, it's bigger to people who are there for anything outside of playing men's basketball.  Well over the majority of these kids playing basketball (or even football) aren't going to a particular school for its prestigious education.  So, yes we are on par with Georgetown or any, other Big East school for that matter.  Academically to Georgetown? No.

I'm not even talking about education. Georgetown has way better facilities. They also have a way better track record in recent history of getting to the NCAA tournament and sending kids to the NBA. Those are critical. Sure they've fallen on hard times the past few years, but we've fallen on hard times the past couple of decades!!!

Literally what do we have to offer any incoming recruit that can top anything Georgetown has to offer, from education, to facilities, to recent history of success?

Foad

« Reply #453 on: January 18, 2018, 10:00:34 AM »
Literally what do we have to offer any incoming recruit that can top anything Georgetown has to offer, from education, to facilities, to recent history of success?

The best fan base in the world.

Foad

« Reply #454 on: January 18, 2018, 10:01:48 AM »
Your punk ass attempt to hide, but I'm very well aware.  Besides, in my initial post to your pussy ass, I said the "majority."  But, nicely of you to parse words, douche.

You're, silly.

« Reply #455 on: January 18, 2018, 10:03:13 AM »

The best fan base in the world.

Can always go the Louisville route and get some strippers. Probably would have to import them from someplace other than Queens though.

johnniesfilmmaker

• Aspiring filmmaker
    • Through the Viewfinder
« Reply #456 on: January 18, 2018, 11:31:57 AM »
We wouldn't own the A10. If we moved to the A10, Mullin would step down and no legitimate coach is going to coach at a school that just dropped in conference prestige. Ponds, would transfer or try to go pro as would Simon and we would be recruiting for the same class of kids as Fordham.

This team is so close and it baffles me that you some of you can't see that. 0-6 in conference play, playing #11 team in country on the road, down by 10 with a minute or two to play, constantly battled all game, shorthanded, and yet they still didn't give up. This team has lost to Missouri and Arizona State (on neutral courts with one on the West Coast), Seton Hall, Creighton, and Xavier (on the road), and Villanova and Georgetown (at home) by an average of about 7 points with the worst being Arizona State by 12 and that was a lot closer than the score suggests.

We've played two bad games against DePaul (close and we let get away but should've been a lot better) and Providence (good team that just blew the doors off in second half).

I believe Ponds (as a junior), Simon (developing with more playing time), Diakite, Clark, Owens with Dixon, Keita, Williams, and Brooks off the bench plus whoever else we might bring in has no excuses if they can't make the tournament. This team had flaws, namely depth. If we can take 2 of the next three against Georgetown, Creighton, and Butler and then steal one of Xavier or Villanova then beat Marquette twice, DePaul, and take two out of the final three against Seton Hall, Butler, and Providence we would finish 8-10 and 18-12. Should make NIT and who knows, maybe we steal two games in the Big East tournament and are on the Bubble for the Tournament. I know that's EXTRAORDINARILY hard. But we've been competitive in all but two games so far this season. I have no reason to think that it's not possible to finish up 8-3.

cjfish

« Reply #457 on: January 18, 2018, 11:38:52 AM »
And I thought I was the most optimistic person on this board

johnniesfilmmaker

• Aspiring filmmaker
    • Through the Viewfinder
« Reply #458 on: January 18, 2018, 12:07:40 PM »
And I thought I was the most optimistic person on this board

Keep your head up, I have no reason not to think you could be the most optimistic person on this board. #keepgrinding

« Reply #459 on: January 18, 2018, 12:09:39 PM »

You're, silly.

Papers, grades, lethargy, hack, simp, punk.