Game 21: Creighton

• 149 replies
Re: Game 21: Creighton
« Reply #140 on: January 24, 2018, 10:38:33 AM »
While I do think 0-9 is an anomaly, it doesn't make it hurt any less. Realistically I think we've played well enough to be 3-6 currently. However, you are what your record says.
I see three glaring issues with this team that unfortunately I don't see getting much better.

1.) Coaching. Mullin, Richmond, Etc look lost. They struggle throughout games, but during crunch time they fold just as bad as the players. The talent of our players keeps the games close, but most of these games, while the scores look competitive, the result was never in doubt. I get that they are all novice coaches, but I would have hoped to see more improvement 3 years in than what I've seen.

2.) None of our players have killer instinct. I hate to say it but Ponds is not cut out to be the leader of a winning team. Examples: behind the back passes for turnovers when the team is 0-7, and launching halfcourt 3s early in the shot clock when you're 0-8 out of frustration. He's far too nonchalant, and he hasnt shown me he really even cares about winning. Its almost like hes treating his time here as an audition for the NBA, nothing more. Talented, but give me Dwight Hardy or D'Angelo Harrison any day.

3.) Depth. It really kills us every game when Amar has to play. He would struggle for minutes at Siena but he's unfortunately a role player for us. This is one problem that potentially could improve with Keita, Roberts, Diakite coming on board, but I'm not banking on it.

I couldn't have said it better myself.
1) Coaching. Bad Xs and Os. Simple fundamentals are lacking; most of the team cant guard a big east ball handler 1 on 1, there's overhelp, poor rotation, mad scrambles, despiration blocks attempts and finally a wide open lane for teams to feast on offensive rebounds. This season is the movie groundhog day.  We're ranked 328th out of 351 in D1 rebounding margin. We're dead last in big east 3 point shooting.  We're being coached for a different era of basketball. Ponds isn't Iverson, Simon isn't Dwayne Washington, Owens isn't Mutombo. 

2) Killer Instinct. This board loves to draw comparisons to Villanova and it's laugh out loud funny. Other than Ponds, SJU's regulars would be limited to mop-up duty for Jay Wright.  Ponds would be the 2nd guy off the bench. And it's not due to lack of skill but rather effort, intensity, and overall basketball IQ.  The team looked better with Ponds on the bench and Simon running things with some urgency last night.  I miss Harrison, Pointer, Horne and Greene. Ahmed and Clark should be forced to watch tape of those guys.

3) Depth aka recruiting, recruiting, recruiting. The revolving door of transfers and jucos and foreigners to fill voids is embarrassing. We can barely get 3* talent to commit here, and when they do, it's a 50/50 chance they develop into big east starter talent. 

The 2 teams that have made the NCAA tournament recently had more than one player that could run the offense with success. 14/15 - Jordan, Branch, Greene; 10/11 - Hardy, Boothe, Horne.  Those were team players for the most part. Ponds, Ahmed, Lovett are me first 1-on-1 wannabe mixtape ballers. The closest player we have to a floor general is Simon. 

We should look to replicate teams that have success nationally and within the big east. That means ball handlers who can shoot, but also take quality shots. Guards that can actually defend 1-on-1 and hit the glass hard on every shot, and bigs that know how to contribute offensively within 10 feet of the basket when asked to do so.    Tough to win a single game when you have 2 players on your team that fit the above criteria (Ponds & Simon)

QuanMan

« Reply #141 on: January 24, 2018, 02:35:42 PM »
The amount of times Hegner was open last night was appalling. How there weren't in game adjustments is beyond me. Someone has to be the fall guy on the staff and I think Matic and GSTJ are goners.

Khyri Thomas owns Shamorie. It was like watching a man against a boy for the second time in a month. He ate him for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and Shamorie hid his way behind another in game injury for the rest of the night. This kid is CODDLED, and the lack of in game discipline for his ill advised shooting is disrespectful to his teammates and every fan watching.

To the contrary, the character that Justin Simon displays on a nightly basis has to be acknowledged. His effort, energy, enthusiasm and refusal to give into the overall record is commendable. He's proven what type of person he is through his play and represents the program in the finest fashion.

The effort is there from  the team, however they just don't have enough. Marcus ruined everything. Sitting in CA last night was pretty depressing, but I'm not going anywhere. On to Butler.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #142 on: January 24, 2018, 02:36:36 PM »
My new Mfp Simon was player of the game again.  That's 2 of last 3 for those counting at home.

« Reply #143 on: January 24, 2018, 02:44:23 PM »
My new Mfp Simon was player of the game again.  That's 2 of last 3 for those counting at home.

Get lost he is my favorite player. Your favorite player usually stinks. Ahmed is free.

ras

« Reply #144 on: January 24, 2018, 02:51:57 PM »
Simon is also my favorite. Knows his limitations.  Obviously I like Ponds. But, watching him hoist the 3 pointers beyond the NBA 3 pt. line is disconcerting. He does get double teamed, but that means someone is open, has to find him.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 02:56:11 PM by ras »

« Reply #145 on: January 24, 2018, 02:55:25 PM »

Get lost he is my favorite player. Your favorite player usually stinks. Ahmed is free.

Not always. 

Okay - even though he well fits my profile for Mfp, you can have him.  I'll switch to Tariq.

Although, I do admire Bash's courage to bull rush to the basket in traffic and the fact that in his own mind he's got the offensive game of Bernard King - I generally prefer a player more adept at sharing the sugar and with a name more conducive to nicknames.

TONYD3

« Reply #146 on: January 24, 2018, 03:11:07 PM »
The amount of times Hegner was open last night was appalling. How there weren't in game adjustments is beyond me. Someone has to be the fall guy on the staff and I think Matic and GSTJ are goners.

Khyri Thomas owns Shamorie. It was like watching a man against a boy for the second time in a month. He ate him for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and Shamorie hid his way behind another in game injury for the rest of the night. This kid is CODDLED, and the lack of in game discipline for his ill advised shooting is disrespectful to his teammates and every fan watching.

To the contrary, the character that Justin Simon displays on a nightly basis has to be acknowledged. His effort, energy, enthusiasm and refusal to give into the overall record is commendable. He's proven what type of person he is through his play and represents the program in the finest fashion.

The effort is there from  the team, however they just don't have enough. Marcus ruined everything. Sitting in CA last night was pretty depressing, but I'm not going anywhere. On to Butler.
You are always positive. However, now support staff is being blamed. Matic? Not even sure what his job title is? Probably his fault if their are no pencils in the office.

QuanMan

« Reply #147 on: January 24, 2018, 03:37:56 PM »

You are always positive. However, now support staff is being blamed. Matic? Not even sure what his job title is? Probably his fault if their are no pencils in the office.

There just has to be a culture shift, the staff is too young and inexperienced. If I were to guess there will be turnover and I don't see Mitch getting the axe so it leaves me to guess that there will be movement at DOBO and Assistant HC. They all seem to be great guys and I hate bringing this up, but when you're amidst a 9 game losing streak accountability comes into play, its an unfortunate topic of discussion.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #148 on: January 24, 2018, 04:23:23 PM »
Always have to be weary of guys who will graduate with eligibility remaining.

Yeah, I'm tired of it two.

« Reply #149 on: January 24, 2018, 04:29:01 PM »
hahaha.  good catch.