Would a Big 5 Tourn work in the Apple?

• 5 replies
Would a Big 5 Tourn work in the Apple?
« on: December 14, 2007, 11:37:52 PM »
 5 Metro teams,in a Tourn like the Big 5 in Philly.  Would this work? With or without St John's?

Re: Would a Big 5 Tourn work in the Apple?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 12:12:54 PM »
  St John's,, Iona,  Fordham, Manhattan  & Hofstra.     The Big Five in Philly has.. Nova,  St Joe's,  Penn,  Temple & La Salle.            Would New Yorkers love to see some of the city's best go head to head?

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 02:04:41 PM »
Kind of similiar to the idea mike and the mad dog have for an 8 team thanksgiving tournament that would include st. johns every year at the Nassau Coliseum...the only concern is keeping away from confrence match-ups early in the season.

Randomhero423

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 04:41:16 PM »
ik mike and the mad dog been talkin about doin a touney w/ tri-state area teams.

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 08:00:17 PM »
i spoke to monasch and colleary a couple of years ago about converting the holiday festival into an eight team tournament with locals only.  they weren't interested...saying they don't want to help the other schools and it's hard to get teams to play that many games in a short period of time (i think we're doing it in hawaii, however)

i have heard they're rethinking scheduling more locals ala the big five concept.

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 03:53:01 PM »
It doesn't matter how good or how bad the teams in the Big 5 are.  They get together and play amazing games.  I don't understand why it wouldn't work in New York.  Although I do think 8 teams might be too much.