Posh Alexander- PG - Our Savior Lutheran- ST. JOHN’S (Signed)

• 109 replies

TONYD3

Re: Posh Alexander PG
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2019, 09:57:54 AM »

This staff hasn’t done much in terms of recruiting. The 2019 class was horrific. It doesn’t even matter if they fit the system and ends up  contributing. I refuse to believe that there weren’t much better players that also fit the system.

Lavin and Mullin brought in dynamic classes their first full year. I doubt Anderson comes close.
Mullin’s dynamic class? WOW! Plenty of stars on the last 3 losing teams. Very few graduates. Won’t take much to surpass, 8th, 9th (tied for last) and last years magical 7th place season.

Cant this guy lose before he gets killed?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 10:00:56 AM by TONYD3 »

goredmen

« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2019, 10:27:56 AM »
Lavin and Mullin brought in dynamic classes their first full year. I doubt Anderson comes close.

Lavin bought in one guy his first year. That guy transferred after one season. Granted Lavin inherited a team full of seniors. But if you're comparing Lavin's second class to Anderson's first than that is completely disingenuous.

Mullin's first class consisted of a bunch of players that were ranked highly but did little to nothing here.

Lovett - gone after a year and change
Yakwe - bad player
Darien Williams - contributed in spots but not consistently
Malik Ellison - gone after 2 sub-par seasons
Mussini - same as Ellison
Sima - gone after a year and a half

Maybe guys like McGriff, Sears and Champagnie won't be good and will leave after a year or two. But if one of them stays all 4 years and becomes a contributor in years 3 and 4 then that would be way more than Lavin or Mullin got out of their first classes.

Marillac

« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2019, 10:50:35 AM »
Mullin’s dynamic class? WOW! Plenty of stars on the last 3 losing teams. Very few graduates. Won’t take much to surpass, 8th, 9th (tied for last) and last years magical 7th place season.

Cant this guy lose before he gets killed?

How would you describe a class of Mo Harkless, Jakkar Sampson, Dom Pointer, Phil Greene, and Amir Garrett?

Marillac

« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2019, 10:53:57 AM »
Lavin bought in one guy his first year. That guy transferred after one season. Granted Lavin inherited a team full of seniors. But if you're comparing Lavin's second class to Anderson's first than that is completely disingenuous.

Mullin's first class consisted of a bunch of players that were ranked highly but did little to nothing here.

Lovett - gone after a year and change
Yakwe - bad player
Darien Williams - contributed in spots but not consistently
Malik Ellison - gone after 2 sub-par seasons
Mussini - same as Ellison
Sima - gone after a year and a half

Maybe guys like McGriff, Sears and Champagnie won't be good and will leave after a year or two. But if one of them stays all 4 years and becomes a contributor in years 3 and 4 then that would be way more than Lavin or Mullin got out of their first classes.

What part of “first full year” did you struggle with? 

Lovett was a top 50 player and played like one here.

Yakwe was a top 100 recruit.

You are forgetting Shamorie Ponds.

sju89tr

« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2019, 11:02:44 AM »
How would you describe a class of Mo Harkless, Jakkar Sampson, Dom Pointer, Phil Greene, and Amir Garrett?

You forgot DeAngelo

That was an excellent class, best we have had since the Artest class but Lavin never really added to it .   

goredmen

« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2019, 11:04:30 AM »

So you're comparing Lavin's and Mullin's first 12 months of recruiting to Anderson's first 4. Seems fair.

TONYD3

« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2019, 11:47:04 AM »
Plus Harrison. Amazing. Loved them. Even though they should have been more successful. 4 years of very enjoyable basketball.

TONYD3

« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2019, 11:58:58 AM »

All true. But it makes mullin and staff look worse not better. Lovett quit. Yakwe wasn’t good. Still he should have played more. In the big east we were playing walk ons over him vs Xavier. At the very least he should have been an ok back up. Not like their was anyone to compete with.

All 4 years depth was an issue. You can’t have multiple guys sitting out. Simon was the only one good enough to wait for and he left early so in hind sight that was a mistake also. Clarke wasn’t good enough to start in the big east (mistake).
Dixion, Wright, and most likely carahar we’re mistakes. The big center from South Carolina? 2 scholarship years on him.
Mullin has had plenty of good players. They never developed, quit, or transferred.

Imagine if we had the Tariq Owens’s that played for Texas tech last year? He wasn’t the same guy he was here.

As bad as amar was. He was never recruited over.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 12:00:54 PM by TONYD3 »

Marillac

« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2019, 12:34:34 PM »
So you're comparing Lavin's and Mullin's first 12 months of recruiting to Anderson's first 4. Seems fair.

Are you intentionally being obtuse? You consistently seem to struggle with the basic recall of facts you are responding to.

Here is what I wrote: 
“Lavin and Mullin brought in dynamic classes their first full year. I doubt Anderson comes close.”

The last sentence clearly states a future expectation. The book won’t be closed on that for another year.

Recruiting classes don’t just fall from the sky...there are rumors, quotes from players and coaches, final lists, momentum, etc.

By this time both Mullin and especially Lavin had tons of momentum and were sitting pretty for top ranked talent. Anderson is not even close to them. 

I’ve already stated multiple times that I believe Anderson is a better coach than either Mullin or Lavin and that I have faith in him finishing off the roster—something they never could. I also said I think he will be a better judge of talent, but he needs to bring in the big fish or it’s sll for naught. That is a legitimate concern at this point.

I don’t hesitate to give the man credit, and I think my take on him has been very fair. I’m sorry if I don’t land on one extreme or the other like every other St. John’s fan.

Marillac

« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2019, 12:42:13 PM »
All true. But it makes mullin and staff look worse not better. Lovett quit. Yakwe wasn’t good. Still he should have played more. In the big east we were playing walk ons over him vs Xavier. At the very least he should have been an ok back up. Not like their was anyone to compete with.

All 4 years depth was an issue. You can’t have multiple guys sitting out. Simon was the only one good enough to wait for and he left early so in hind sight that was a mistake also. Clarke wasn’t good enough to start in the big east (mistake).
Dixion, Wright, and most likely carahar we’re mistakes. The big center from South Carolina? 2 scholarship years on him.
Mullin has had plenty of good players. They never developed, quit, or transferred.

Imagine if we had the Tariq Owens’s that played for Texas tech last year? He wasn’t the same guy he was here.

My position was very narrow. Why do you feel the need to create strawmen arguments?

Lavin and Mullin both had huge shortcomings. I’ve always been criticical of them.

Lavin couldn’t finish off a roster to save his life and that cost him a job. He couldn’t land the Sears types every non-Blue blood needs.

Mullin and his staff didn’t evaluate talent well and they also didn’t finish off the roster well—although they did get better.

To be successful here you need to be able to coach at a high level, recruit a handful of top 100 players and 1-2 top 50-75 players, and finish off a roster with good glue guys. Without all of those elements it’s futile. My issue with Anserson is bringing the big fish. We didn’t even come close to even a Durand Johnson type of contested recruit for 2019.

TONYD3

« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2019, 02:09:03 PM »
My position was very narrow. Why do you feel the need to create strawmen arguments?

Lavin and Mullin both had huge shortcomings. I’ve always been criticical of them.

Lavin couldn’t finish off a roster to save his life and that cost him a job. He couldn’t land the Sears types every non-Blue blood needs.

Mullin and his staff didn’t evaluate talent well and they also didn’t finish off the roster well—although they did get better.

To be successful here you need to be able to coach at a high level, recruit a handful of top 100 players and 1-2 top 50-75 players, and finish off a roster with good glue guys. Without all of those elements it’s futile. My issue with Anserson is bringing the big fish. We didn’t even come close to even a Durand Johnson type of contested recruit for 2019.
I don’t disagree with you. I just think you way to critical of our new coach. He has a track record of getting good players. He has hired good recruiters to work with him. Unless you think he is mailing it in, why won’t he get players?

Honestly don’t remember, why was Durand Johnson available? Was he the kind of guy to lay the foundation of a program?

Wods317

« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2019, 02:45:47 PM »
Anderson will not have a class like Lavin had in 2011. 1)That was one of if not the best recruiting class in the schools history 2) Lavin had an insane amount of scholarships open so there was quality and quantity. I am hoping for a top 25 class, posh is a good start. Anderson and staff are working hard and casting a large net, not much else you can ask for. The results will how they will ultimately be judged and those are TBD.

« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2019, 02:47:32 PM »
So if the guys he brought in end up being good it won’t matter because when they were signed you didn’t think they were good enough?

What was the dynamic first class Mullin brought in? Admittedly I liked those guys, Sima and Yakwe and Lovett. Did any of them work out? Maybe it’s a good thing he’s picking fits over prospects early on. Maybe McGriff is the perfect backup pg for 4 years. Maybe Champaigne is a solid 4 year versatile forward. Maybe Coach Anderson has a better idea about the players than anyone else on this board does. And maybe he doesn’t succeed at St. John’s. If he doesn’t you, me and everybody else will let it be known, but can we give it a year or two before we declare him as a failure? 

I'm not sure where are the defensive posting has come from a majority of the community. To question or critique is not being anti or rooting against.

I don't get why so many were so quick to lash out at Mullin but are so quick to defend Anderson. I just don't understand the basis.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2019, 02:50:14 PM »
You forgot DeAngelo

That was an excellent class, best we have had since the Artest class but Lavin never really added to it .   

Staff changes and fall out with Repole. Ugh we were so close

« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2019, 02:58:26 PM »

Marvin Clark was a mistake? Dude hit 2 threes a game and averaged double digits in scoring over 2 years. We don't beat Maquette last year without him. He was tough kid who repped school well during his time here. Lets not tear down.

Ponds became all Big East, Simon was defensive player of the year, LJ got better as year went through as did all the freshman.

No player nor coach has been perfect but the fact remains the school doesn't do enough to support and cultivate a winning program.

« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2019, 03:03:20 PM »

The issue I have is Lavin had a game plan with that class. Everything was lined up like Dominos from Amir to Moe to Sampson to Harrison.

Mullin had rentals lined up to balance out scholarships and while some guys didn't pan out there was always a backup plan ready. We got more talent in less time. I still strongly believe if Lovett sacked up that team made the tourney.

So far under Anderson we seemed to hook anything that would bite. It's going to be a tear down after this season as Heron is gone and if LJ crushes it this year he's probably walking too. There is significant drop off after that with no real pipelines in place. Posh is legitimately only Big East player we've landed. It's a start!!

« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2019, 03:11:54 PM »
I'm not sure where are the defensive posting has come from a majority of the community. To question or critique is not being anti or rooting against.

I don't get why so many were so quick to lash out at Mullin but are so quick to defend Anderson. I just don't understand the basis.
Quick to lash out at Mullin? Before he had coached his first game?

« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2019, 03:20:33 PM »
COME TO ST JOHNS POSH

« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2019, 03:34:13 PM »

I’m not sure what your first paragraph is supposed to mean or what it had to do with what I posted. I was a full supporter of Mullin.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2019, 04:54:53 PM »
I don’t disagree with you. I just think you way to critical of our new coach. He has a track record of getting good players. He has hired good recruiters to work with him. Unless you think he is mailing it in, why won’t he get players?

Honestly don’t remember, why was Durand Johnson available? Was he the kind of guy to lay the foundation of a program?

Durand Johnson was a grad transfer from Pitt who was ranked around 100 out of high school. There were several good schools going after him. The reason why I being him up is because there is no reason we shouldn’t have landed a grad transfer like him over high major programs instead of who we got.

Not getting Jaylen Fisher is bizarre to me.

I also don’t have issues with any particular player that was brought in but it’s not even close to a sustainable model of success. We were recruiting against bad programs for these guys.