Posh Alexander- PG - Our Savior Lutheran- ST. JOHN’S (Signed)

• 109 replies
Re: Posh Alexander PG
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2019, 05:05:09 PM »
Durand Johnson was a grad transfer from Pitt who was ranked around 100 out of high school. There were several good schools going after him. The reason why I being him up is because there is no reason we shouldn’t have landed a grad transfer like him over high major programs instead of who we got.

Not getting Jaylen Fisher is bizarre to me.

I also don’t have issues with any particular player that was brought in but it’s not even close to a sustainable model of success. We were recruiting against bad programs for these guys.
Wasn't it the Slice connection with Pitt that landed us Durand Johnson.

Johnny23

« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2019, 05:18:57 PM »
Let's see what Anderson does once he's actually coached real games for SJU before poo pooing him.

If he wins, he'll start landing higher rated recruits. If he doesn't then he deserves the criticism. But let's all hold off until the season gets going.

« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2019, 06:26:37 PM »
Committed to us!
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2019, 06:36:06 PM »
Welcome Posh!!!

DFF6

« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2019, 06:45:59 PM »
Great get for Coach! Welcome Posh! Per the NYP article, Posh is also looking to recruit for us.  https://nypost.com/2019/08/22/homegrown-posh-alexander-stays-close-with-st-johns-commitment/

Johnny23

Re: Posh Alexander- PG - Our Savior Lutheran- ST. JOHN’S
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2019, 07:41:09 PM »
Nice pickup! Very encouraging to read what these recruits and current players are saying about Anderson.

“Hopefully he can be the linchpin of something great,” AAU coach Shandue McNeill said. “They made an instant connection with Posh and his family. They did a great job of recruiting him.”

"How Anderson would personally meet with players daily and the interest everyone on staff was taking in the development of the members of the team."

« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2019, 08:10:39 PM »
Funny how the post article, while referencing Macon’s involvement, isn’t dominated by repeated references or inferences to the “one assistant” who landed the player?  Hmmmmmm

Poison

« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2019, 09:47:49 PM »
He looks like our PG of the future.

« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2019, 12:17:26 PM »
Great pickup...nice start to this class
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

goredmen

« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2019, 09:58:15 PM »
Mullin had rentals lined up to balance out scholarships and while some guys didn't pan out there was always a backup plan ready.

I don't know what planet you were living on during the Mullin era. What was the backup plan for the one true big we desperately needed for 3 straight years that we never got?

« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2019, 11:03:55 PM »
I don't know what planet you were living on during the Mullin era. What was the backup plan for the one true big we desperately needed for 3 straight years that we never got?
The back up plan was to exit stage left (with sacks of cash on the way out).

« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2019, 12:18:16 AM »

You make it sound like you can just get bigs like you'd get eggs at the supermarket. Who would you have gotten?

Tariq Owens bouncing hurt badly. I've said it a number of times that the staff should have done more to keep him instead of being prideful. I think Josh Roberts was a solid get considering how late and I think Ian Steere is type of player fans have wanted for a long time.

Lavin's staff had flaws, Mullin's staff had flaws, and Anderson's staff will have flaws. We aren't going to get perfect results but there needs to be strategy + continuity for this program to truly change.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

goredmen

« Reply #73 on: August 24, 2019, 12:40:18 AM »
You make it sound like you can just get bigs like you'd get eggs at the supermarket. Who would you have gotten?

There's an easy answer to that: Hasahn French. Instead, Matt and Mullin decided to roll the dice on the crossdresser and let French slip away. That was a monumentally terrible decision that still doesn't get enough criticism.

Let me also redirect that question at you when you constantly criticize the quality of player Anderson bought in after getting the job in late April. Anderson had to fill out a roster and quality players that late in the game aren't available like eggs in the supermarket. Matt and Mullin had 3 years to get another quality big and never did. There were no backup plans.

Lavin's staff had flaws, Mullin's staff had flaws, and Anderson's staff will have flaws. We aren't going to get perfect results but there needs to be strategy + continuity for this program to truly change.

I think most people would agree with this but many are wondering why you fall so heavily on the anti-Anderson side of things. And please don't claim you are being objective, if the last staff got Posh you would have praised them and him up and down instead of claiming they should have went after RJ Davis instead.

TONYD3

« Reply #74 on: August 24, 2019, 09:20:09 AM »

Tariq Owens bouncing hurt badly. I've said it a number of times that the staff should have done more to keep him instead of being prideful. I think Josh Roberts was a solid get considering how late and I think Ian Steere is type of player fans have wanted for a long time.

Wow! Dave knows what happened. He saw it with his own eyes. He probably has more inside info then all of us put together.
Every staff may have flaws. Every staff isn’t flawed. The only strength the previous staff had was Chris Mullin’s name. That wasn’t going to last another recruiting cycle.

Poison

« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2019, 10:30:37 AM »

Dave you’ve made this point for years now, but the answer to our lack of size doesn’t have to be a top 100 kid. Plenty of big men are out there that we never bothered to even offer. If Mullin had a Lamont Middleton and a Mitchell Foster last year to man the paint, he would have made the sweet sixteen. We don’t have to have a star at every position. A center can play good d and rebound and score 5 a game.

Marillac

« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2019, 12:50:27 PM »
The only strength the previous staff had was Chris Mullin’s name. That wasn’t going to last another recruiting cycle.

Except it did.  We had a top 100 kid for 2020 already signed when he was let go.  Steere was the best big man recruit we've had in many years and Roberts has great upside. Williams is a keeper too.

The previous staff was flawed, but Mullin was going to replace Matt with a big upgrade in Hsu.  Hsu not only can get top recruits, he can evaluate talent well. 

My first and really only requisite for a coach here is getting top talent.  I supported Jarvis, Mullin, and Lavin because of it.  Norm could not get top talent and I despised him. 

« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2019, 02:45:34 PM »
I agree with you that Mullin still had some draw on the recruiting-side.  We got talent, just couldn't round out a roster and too much of the revolving door stuff you get when your focus is so much in that vein.  The 2020 recruit you point to, Tabor, would never have ended up here if Mullin stayed on, so I don't think that's a good example.  The kids we got during Mullin's four years are a better example of his ability to draw talent. 

I have no idea if Hsu is a big upgrade on Matt.  But even with that move, we still would have Mitch and St. Jean on the sidelines, would still be operating off the "one recruiter" model, would still lack experience on the bench and with running a program (no way Mully lets Mitch go), so I think we'd be in the same boat.

I have no idea if this works out.  I liked getting Posh.  I liked Heron and Figgy thinking enough of Anderson to stay; you can say they had no options, but kids with their talent always have some option basketball-wise.  Let's see if we can get more talent for 2020 and let's see how the new regime does.

Except it did.  We had a top 100 kid for 2020 already signed when he was let go.  Steere was the best big man recruit we've had in many years and Roberts has great upside. Williams is a keeper too.

The previous staff was flawed, but Mullin was going to replace Matt with a big upgrade in Hsu.  Hsu not only can get top recruits, he can evaluate talent well. 

My first and really only requisite for a coach here is getting top talent.  I supported Jarvis, Mullin, and Lavin because of it.  Norm could not get top talent and I despised him. 

Johnny23

« Reply #78 on: August 24, 2019, 06:22:42 PM »

My first and really only requisite for a coach here is getting top talent. I supported Jarvis, Mullin, and Lavin because of it.  Norm could not get top talent and I despised him.

I'd take a coach who can coach up the talent on his roster over a good recruiter who can't coach any day. Thankfully I think Anderson will be able to blend the two. Coach kids up and then get the better recruits.

Marillac

« Reply #79 on: August 24, 2019, 09:29:48 PM »
I agree with you that Mullin still had some draw on the recruiting-side.  We got talent, just couldn't round out a roster and too much of the revolving door stuff you get when your focus is so much in that vein.  The 2020 recruit you point to, Tabor, would never have ended up here if Mullin stayed on, so I don't think that's a good example.  The kids we got during Mullin's four years are a better example of his ability to draw talent. 

I have no idea if Hsu is a big upgrade on Matt.  But even with that move, we still would have Mitch and St. Jean on the sidelines, would still be operating off the "one recruiter" model, would still lack experience on the bench and with running a program (no way Mully lets Mitch go), so I think we'd be in the same boat.

I have no idea if this works out.  I liked getting Posh.  I liked Heron and Figgy thinking enough of Anderson to stay; you can say they had no options, but kids with their talent always have some option basketball-wise.  Let's see if we can get more talent for 2020 and let's see how the new regime does.

I heard otherwise regarding Tabor and Paultzman and his disciples who tell you different don't know what they are talking about.  Paultzman said dozens of times that Heron would never see a second year.  I heard directly from the horse's mouth that he had no intention of leaving early and corrected Paultzman many times.  He insisted I was wrong.  Look who is here for a second year.
It's all on Redmen for those to search.