Ponds NBA Chances

• 19 replies
Ponds NBA Chances
« on: December 20, 2018, 10:07:08 PM »
There’s absolutely no way I’m too scared to make a decision. He will be.

Tell me why he won’t make it. I’ve got a list of guards 6’2 and under that are playing in the nba..
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Re: Ponds NBA Chances
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 10:22:39 PM »
I still think he needs to show he can shoot at a higher %. He has great vision and is athletic enough to play in the NBA. Seems to be playing a bit better on the ball defense and we will soon see if he is exposed defensively when the Big East schedule starts.

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 10:25:47 PM »
I still think he needs to show he can shoot at a higher %. He has great vision and is athletic enough to play in the NBA. Seems to be playing a bit better on the ball defense and we will soon see if he is exposed defensively when the Big East schedule starts.

Agree but I feel no matter what the percentage or streak is Ponds will be a threat to shoot. He’s obviously not a bad shooter. His %s inside the arc are absolutely elite.

Marillac

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 10:33:53 PM »
He will be on a roster for sure. The only question mark is his athletic ability and that is only a question for whether he will be an all-star or just a rotational piece.

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 06:17:06 AM »
yes, I think he will make a roster as a backup PG. Only concern is his size.

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 11:41:41 AM »
I think he will fluctuate between G league or whatever it is called and NBA roster next year.
Hope he makes it for him and his family but I learned it doesn't really mater. Whether he does or doesn't I just enjoy them while they are here. Some of my favorites David Russell, Marcus Hatten, Bootsy Thornton never made it and my favorite all time player Walter Berry had disappointing NBA career. Meanwhile Bill Wennington played for like 30 years, Robert Werdann and Zendon Hamilton made the NBA.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 11:44:37 AM by we are sju »

sju89tr

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 07:39:18 PM »
He's not a lights out shooter so I would say no but I do think he plays an NBA game

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 08:34:16 PM »
I think he will fluctuate between G league or whatever it is called and NBA roster next year.
Hope he makes it for him and his family but I learned it doesn't really mater. Whether he does or doesn't I just enjoy them while they are here. Some of my favorites David Russell, Marcus Hatten, Bootsy Thornton never made it and my favorite all time player Walter Berry had disappointing NBA career. Meanwhile Bill Wennington played for like 30 years, Robert Werdann and Zendon Hamilton made the NBA.
This also was  Chris Mullin and way back when Dick McGuire and Al McGuire. Maybe the best pro was Mark Jackson. One of the best basketball brains around, as the coach, he started Golden State on its championship run.  Watching GS play yesterday, I thought they looked dispirited and disorganized. Maybe they should bring Mark back.

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2018, 01:11:13 AM »
If he keeps playing like he has been so far, he'll be a late 1st round pick. I predict he gets drafted by the warriors. I think in the NBA he'll be a good rotational player. He has a similar career trajectory to Jamal Crawford, a scoring combo guard off the bench but unlike Jamal a bit undersized.

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2018, 07:28:16 AM »
If he keeps playing like he has been so far, he'll be a late 1st round pick. I predict he gets drafted by the warriors. I think in the NBA he'll be a good rotational player. He has a similar career trajectory to Jamal Crawford, a scoring combo guard off the bench but unlike Jamal a bit undersized.

Ponds has elite passing skills that Crawford didn’t have. Crawford had the size to play off the ball alongside a pg. 

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2018, 08:18:51 AM »
I agree he definitely is a better passer than Crawford, although I don't know if I would consider him elite. This year he is really shining as a passer because he has the talent around him as opposed to previous years he had to handle the scoring load.

Foad

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2018, 09:23:06 AM »
I don't know if I would consider him elite. This year he is really shining as a passer because he has the talent around him

Presumably the talent in the NBA is even better than at SJU.

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2018, 02:21:50 PM »
I agree he definitely is a better passer than Crawford, although I don't know if I would consider him elite. This year he is really shining as a passer because he has the talent around him as opposed to previous years he had to handle the scoring load.

It’s not about the assist numbers with Ponds, it’s the different passes he’s capable of making and more importantly his vision. This has been my thought since day one, others may agree with you.

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2018, 02:30:33 PM »
Yeah I agree with you he does have great vision and anticipation, and we're really seeing it this year. Im not a person who sees stats and makes judgments based on that alone. I just don't think he's proven to be an elite passer, that doesn't mean my mind won't change though. He really is a joy to watch.

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2018, 02:40:46 PM »
Presumably the talent in the NBA is even better than at SJU.

The talent is absolutely better at the NBA level, no presumptions needed. That goes both ways though, the guys defending him will be better. I think his elite skill is breaking defenders down 1 on 1 and getting to the basket. That's not to say he isn't a good passer, he absolutely is.

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2018, 04:16:09 PM »
Low 2nd round pick. Win a big east championship and get to the final 4

SJUFAN

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2018, 11:23:53 PM »
Low 2nd round pick. Win a big east championship and get to the final 4

coming back next year isn’t the worst thing.

Poison

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2018, 12:07:59 AM »
Ponds is the kind of player a team like the Spurs drafts late in the first round or somewhere in the second round and Knick fans will bitch for a decade about how they could have had him but instead they drafted some European stiff.

Ponds leads the BE in assists and he doesn’t have a center or even a PF to dish it off to in the paint. He has to be even more creative than other guards, and he is.

Maybe I haven’t seen enough of the names listed ahead of Ponds in mock drafts, but I don’t think there’s a reasonable argument as to why any college guard is better than him.

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2018, 12:15:24 AM »

Maybe I haven’t seen enough of the names listed ahead of Ponds in mock drafts, but I don’t think there’s a reasonable argument as to why any college guard is better than him.

Me and you both

LoganK

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2018, 06:22:06 AM »