New Coach

• 840 replies
Re: New Coach
« Reply #100 on: April 10, 2019, 09:13:15 PM »
A young up and comer might not be a bad idea, band aids don’t work, hire Hurley so he can head to acc in 4-6 years. TC is in 60s Rick is well.....young coach that the AD will give every thing he needs to succeed, it may take an extra year or two but we wouldn’t be playing an ooc as weak as this year in future. I’d be re-energized with a coach that will be out at all the stops on recruiting circuits

goredmen

« Reply #101 on: April 10, 2019, 09:40:20 PM »
https://nypost.com/2019/04/10/st-johns-should-reach-out-tommy-amaker-in-coaching-search/

My head is spinning from so many names being talked about by actual media people

boo3

« Reply #102 on: April 10, 2019, 09:41:55 PM »
Cluess will be 60 when the season starts.  I don't know, I want a guy that's a basketball coach. Cluess is that. He's won big everywhere he's been.  He's never had a losing record, ever.  St. john's guy. 

I like Hurley also, but he's not staying here 10 years.  Cluess i can see staying here until he's done and in the process build something.

Cragg didn't fire Mullin.  Mullin wanted an extension.  Anyone honestly think he deserved one, at 4 mil per? 

Sad it didn't work out here for Chris.   Gotta be Cluess if Hurley turns down Cragg ( which i think he ultimately will)

goredmen

« Reply #103 on: April 10, 2019, 09:43:02 PM »
The conspiracy theorist in me thinks the Scheyer rumors and Cluess buzz were started by Cragg himself to get the people that might be thrilled with Bobby Hurley to warm up to him. I know it's working on me.

Poison

« Reply #104 on: April 10, 2019, 09:53:55 PM »
Cluess has been at Iona for 9 years. When he started there they were on their way back, but they didn’t finish strong.

It’s been so long since we’ve finished strong that we’ve forgotten that it’s even an option.

Those that think Cluess is too small time for St.John’s aren’t giving him enough credit for being dominant in a league with so much parity. That’s coaching because what the hell else is it?

I think he’d do well here. The good news is that there are even better candidates out there and we can probably choose from a large range of talent both old and young.

I think Hurley would be brilliant if he can keep some local stars home. At St.John’s, we have to get our share, and we haven’t since Fran.

He’ll be a good teacher, game coach and strategist. That is the world he came from.

I would bet that kids would commit to play for Hurley almost immediately.

« Reply #105 on: April 10, 2019, 09:55:30 PM »
I would honestly stop rooting for St Johns if Pitino were hired. The dude is as slimy as it gets, I don’t think there is a coach out there with more baggage.

I want a good team but I want it done by a coach/staff with some semblance of ethics esp in regards to non money related infractions.

I said that about Calipari some years back.  Now I’ve joined the dark side.  I’ll take being stripped of our national championship 5 years from now.

wpc77

« Reply #106 on: April 10, 2019, 09:56:00 PM »
Pitino isn't an option.

Hurley's wife loves Arizona

Coach Cluess..   

Should be fun

Matt A leaves town to get his wife "closer" to family.  Hurley may stay in AZ for his wife (even tho she grew up in Jersey too). These guys wives really hate sjubb
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 09:56:16 PM by wpc77 »

Johnny23

« Reply #107 on: April 10, 2019, 10:19:57 PM »
As long as Cluess brings in a big-time recruiting staff then I'm all for him. He's won at every level and clearly knows how to coach.

Marillac

« Reply #108 on: April 10, 2019, 10:42:07 PM »
The conspiracy theorist in me thinks the Scheyer rumors and Cluess buzz were started by Cragg himself to get the people that might be thrilled with Bobby Hurley to warm up to him. I know it's working on me.

I actually think Scheyer was used to make Cluess palatable.

ASU will announce Hurley extension shortly.

« Reply #110 on: April 11, 2019, 12:35:38 AM »
Cluess will be 60 when the season starts.  I don't know, I want a guy that's a basketball coach. Cluess is that. He's won big everywhere he's been.  He's never had a losing record, ever.  St. john's guy. 

I like Hurley also, but he's not staying here 10 years.  Cluess i can see staying here until he's done and in the process build something.

Cragg didn't fire Mullin.  Mullin wanted an extension.  Anyone honestly think he deserved one, at 4 mil per? 

Sad it didn't work out here for Chris.   Gotta be Cluess if Hurley turns down Cragg ( which i think he ultimately will)

I think the school should have extended Mullin with a lot of out clauses and small buy out. This is an awful look for the school.

A few coaches I've spoken to all say the same thing. Why would anyone want to go to St. John's? The whole NYC thing is overblown and oversold. Facilities are bad. Administration is old, stale, and clueless. Incredibly tough conference. Poor resources. Extremely high expectations.

The school really needs to gut check and have a true plan and direction. Why has it worked for Villanova? Why has it worked at Butler? Why has it worked at Xavier? Why has it worked at other schools similar to St. John's?

I think fans realize the potential here but the school can't stick to anything. Hell our school colors/branding/initials have changed just as many times as our coaches over past decade. It's beyond poor and embarrassing.

Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #111 on: April 11, 2019, 12:51:13 AM »
I think the school should have extended Mullin with a lot of out clauses and small buy out. This is an awful look for the school.

A few coaches I've spoken to all say the same thing. Why would anyone want to go to St. John's? The whole NYC thing is overblown and oversold. Facilities are bad. Administration is old, stale, and clueless. Incredibly tough conference. Poor resources. Extremely high expectations.

The school really needs to gut check and have a true plan and direction. Why has it worked for Villanova? Why has it worked at Butler? Why has it worked at Xavier? Why has it worked at other schools similar to St. John's?

I think fans realize the potential here but the school can't stick to anything. Hell our school colors/branding/initials have changed just as many times as our coaches over past decade. It's beyond poor and embarrassing.

May as well shut down the site.

SJUFAN

« Reply #112 on: April 11, 2019, 12:59:21 AM »

It works when you get a good coach.

Poison

« Reply #113 on: April 11, 2019, 01:25:19 AM »

You shouldn’t throw good money after bad. Finding assistant coaches to do his work for him doesn’t solve this. Mullin won 20 BE games in 4 years. That’s terrible. It’s not where we’ve been. It’s a clear step down from where we were.

There is no question that moving on now is the right choice when it’s obvious that Mullin simply hasn’t learned enough.

Seriously, what did he learn? What kind of coach is he now compared to 4 years ago?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 01:26:22 AM by Poison »

« Reply #114 on: April 11, 2019, 02:39:45 AM »
The Catholic Church hid the fact that boys were being fondled for decades. 
Fondled? How about anally penetrated.

Johnny23

« Reply #115 on: April 11, 2019, 06:44:16 AM »

The sky is not falling as some may want to believe. Furthermore, it is not Bobby Hurley or bust for St. John's.

An awful look for the school was keeping Mullin and watching this program toil in the gutter.

Cragg is doing his due diligence. We haven't had this type of strong leadership at the top of St. John's in forever.

I'm actually warming up to the idea of Cluess. A winner at all levels. He brings some good recruiters with him and should be able to put this program on solid footing for years.

Johnny23

« Reply #116 on: April 11, 2019, 06:46:07 AM »
I actually think Scheyer was used to make Cluess palatable.

ASU will announce Hurley extension shortly.

You're going to be pleasantly surprised by Cluess who actually knows how to coach during games. Breath of fresh air in Queens.

« Reply #117 on: April 11, 2019, 07:25:25 AM »
Just use whatever search firm Xavier and Butler use.  They have like a 90% hit rate.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #118 on: April 11, 2019, 07:37:38 AM »
Scheyer

SJU79

« Reply #119 on: April 11, 2019, 07:39:07 AM »
Scheyer will not be the HC next year.