Vince Cole- 6'5 SG- USC Salk - ST. JOHN'S (Signed)

• 85 replies
Re: Vince Cole- 6'5 SG- USC Salk - ST. JOHN'S (Verbal Commit)
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2019, 10:11:55 PM »
This just in: snowflake who sends me interminable PMs about how my posts keep him up night and give him heart palpitations doesn't care about what I say because I'm a joke.
That's because at that time I mistakenly was under the impression you were a human being. Snowflake? I'll rip your f ing heart out MFer!

« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2019, 10:14:06 PM »
Don't get why you have to wave poms poms on here for people to be happy. It's typical when any staff is newly hired. Posh is a good get and a solid 4 year guy. I don't know if he turns into a difference maker. There already seems to be a really heavy reliance by this staff on JUCO's. That is concerning. Hopefully Cole works out. We're replacing Heron and possibly LJ moving forward and need high major talent.

Dave gives his opinion on kids he sees and asks around about. It might seem like he is hating but the reality is the talent level is questionable. Hopefully they develop.

Poison

« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2019, 10:21:39 PM »
Don't get why you have to wave poms poms on here for people to be happy. It's typical when any staff is newly hired. Posh is a good get and a solid 4 year guy. I don't know if he turns into a difference maker. There already seems to be a really heavy reliance by this staff on JUCO's. That is concerning. Hopefully Cole works out. We're replacing Heron and possibly LJ moving forward and need high major talent.

Dave gives his opinion on kids he sees and asks around about. It might seem like he is hating but the reality is the talent level is questionable. Hopefully they develop.

Do we have a heavy reliance on NYC kids because we now have two recruits from NYC?

« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2019, 10:25:25 PM »
Do we have a heavy reliance on NYC kids because we now have two recruits from NYC?

We have Champiagne who will be a an 8th or 9th man.
Have you followed the recruiting for 2020? Already bringing in two more JUCO guys for visits.

Poison

« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2019, 10:50:36 AM »
We have Champiagne who will be a an 8th or 9th man.
Have you followed the recruiting for 2020? Already bringing in two more JUCO guys for visits.

You’ve taken this out of context. I’m saying two of something isn’t very much.

Frankly, there is no reason anyone should be concerned by 2 or 3 jucos. Has everyone forgotten the success we’ve had with jucos compared to every other type of recruit?

ST.JOHN’S RECRUITS:
-What percentage of high school recruits have made 1st team All BE compared to JUCOS?

If they can play, I’m fine with JUCOS.

« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2019, 02:30:28 PM »
JJ has jumped the shark, dave has no connects within current staff hence the bitterness. See you in redmen

I'm not sure where this narrative has come from. There is no bitterness here nor do I understand where you formulate that opinion. As for my "connects" I've known Coach Macon and DeMeo for 10 years.

If you'd like to attend a game with me sometime let me know. More than happy to sit, talk, and watch basketball with you.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2019, 02:37:50 PM »

I really have no issue with juco, transfers, prep kids, etc. If you can ball and want to be here than come on down. We aren't Kentucky or Duke we aren't getting 5 star kids out of high school.

Posh is a good piece of the puzzle. If he turns into Phil Greene quality producer that would be really good imo but he isn't a D'Angelo Harrison.

If Cole turns into Bashir Ahmed would that be a bad thing? He's a guy who can get buckets in a game and there will probably be other times we bang our head against the wall. No player is perfect. I think LJ is a higher tier of quality where he can be a go-to option player.

Poison

« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2019, 02:47:04 PM »
I really have no issue with juco, transfers, prep kids, etc. If you can ball and want to be here than come on down. We aren't Kentucky or Duke we aren't getting 5 star kids out of high school.

Posh is a good piece of the puzzle. If he turns into Phil Greene quality producer that would be really good imo but he isn't a D'Angelo Harrison.

If Cole turns into Bashir Ahmed would that be a bad thing? He's a guy who can get buckets in a game and there will probably be other times we bang our head against the wall. No player is perfect. I think LJ is a higher tier of quality where he can be a go-to option player.

I don’t think Ahmed is the right comparison. I’m not sure who is. Ahmed was a swingman, and he was often out of control. This kid is a combo guard, and I see an improved handle and passing ability. Ahmed had what, 10 total assists in 2 seasons at St.John’s? Maybe Cole wasn’t a combo guard a year ago, but I don’t think you’re considering that Cole probably improved quite a bit in the last year.

I find it encouraging that he’s already exceeded expectations in one year of JUCO.

That alone isn’t worth a parade, but let’s follow his season, and see how much he continues to improve.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 02:50:07 PM by Poison »

Marillac

« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2019, 03:30:59 PM »
I don’t think Ahmed is the right comparison. I’m not sure who is. Ahmed was a swingman, and he was often out of control. This kid is a combo guard, and I see an improved handle and passing ability. Ahmed had what, 10 total assists in 2 seasons at St.John’s? Maybe Cole wasn’t a combo guard a year ago, but I don’t think you’re considering that Cole probably improved quite a bit in the last year.

I find it encouraging that he’s already exceeded expectations in one year of JUCO.

That alone isn’t worth a parade, but let’s follow his season, and see how much he continues to improve.

On what planet is Cole a combo guard?  He averaged less than two assists a game and had 15 more turnovers than assists in a TERRIBLE region in the NJCAA.  Some of his games were against high schools.

Ahmed had twice as many assists as Cole against much better competition playing for a guard-heavy team that he was forced to play some PF at.  So what are you basing this on? 

Ahmed's Hutchinson team destroyed NW Florida State 116-90 (Ahmed went for 21, 10, and 7) while Cole's team lost to them by 15 and Cole went for 15 pts 5 boards and ZERO assists. Obviously the rosters were different for NW Florida State, but both Hutchinson and NWFS are consistent programs and provide some basis for comparison for a no-name school like Cole's.

Maybe some of you like Cole -- I don't really have a strong opinion on him either way -- and maybe he ends up with a better career here, but Ahmed was unquestionably a better prospect coming out of JUCO regardless of how things may have gone for him once he arrived.  To act like he and Cole aren't close is just absurd.

« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2019, 04:07:13 PM »
On what planet is Cole a combo guard?  He averaged less than two assists a game and had 15 more turnovers than assists in a TERRIBLE region in the NJCAA.  Some of his games were against high schools.

Ahmed had twice as many assists as Cole against much better competition playing for a guard-heavy team that he was forced to play some PF at.  So what are you basing this on? 

Ahmed's Hutchinson team destroyed NW Florida State 116-90 (Ahmed went for 21, 10, and 7) while Cole's team lost to them by 15 and Cole went for 15 pts 5 boards and ZERO assists. Obviously the rosters were different for NW Florida State, but both Hutchinson and NWFS are consistent programs and provide some basis for comparison for a no-name school like Cole's.

Maybe some of you like Cole -- I don't really have a strong opinion on him either way -- and maybe he ends up with a better career here, but Ahmed was unquestionably a better prospect coming out of JUCO regardless of how things may have gone for him once he arrived.  To act like he and Cole aren't close is just absurd.

I agree that combo guard is a big stretch, I see small forward with skills, but wouldn’t it be more fair to compare him as a prospect to Bashir after this season?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2019, 01:14:09 PM »
I agree that combo guard is a big stretch, I see small forward with skills, but wouldn’t it be more fair to compare him as a prospect to Bashir after this season?

Of course...comparisons only get better with more evidence.

However, Ahmed played in the most competitive league with and against the best competiton JUCO has to offer. Cole won’t have that opportunity unless his team makes a deep run in March.

I am fine with the Cole addition, but the hype he’s getting is what bothers me. I like JUCOs as much as anyone, but they don’t take the place of stud high school or D-1 transfer recruits no matter how good they are.

« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2019, 03:37:35 PM »

Speaking to more of production than position/skill.

If Cole scored a few 20 point games and averaged near 10ppg I think you'd be pleased with that. Earlier I compared his floor to probably Ellison who was more 6-7ppg off the bench which again I don't think is bad either.

ras

« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2019, 04:23:12 PM »
CMA seems to love JUCOs. I am not against them. But I also like high caliber transfers, which it seems we are not going after and would like to see us get top 100 Hs kids also.

Marillac

« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2019, 03:40:45 PM »
CMA seems to love JUCOs. I am not against them. But I also like high caliber transfers, which it seems we are not going after and would like to see us get top 100 Hs kids also.

JUCOs only work if they are alongside at least 2-3 legit top 75 talents. I don’t care if half the roster is JUCO if there are a few studs.

Marillac

« Reply #74 on: October 05, 2019, 03:43:18 PM »
One JUCO (who was an all american) and it's a reliance on jucos which is troubling.  That's a scorching hot take. Guess they can't all be Matt A, get tons of transfers, win zero ncaa tournament games with that talent, then bolt when the going gets tough. That was more your style.

Hey, are we relying on JUCOs yet, dipshit, or do you need another 5-6 commitments?

« Reply #75 on: November 02, 2019, 12:06:53 PM »
JucoRecruiting.com
@JucoRecruiting
Vince Cole (6’5, SG, 2020) of USC Salk has been offered by St Johns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP8vN0wYTko
Cole is absolutely going off, 31 points last night. Going to be very good.

« Reply #76 on: November 13, 2019, 08:02:20 PM »
Vince Cole is a walking bucket.

No. 11 USC Salkehatchie relied on the sophomore’s 50/50/90 line to open the season with four wins!

Bound for St. John's, Cole nabs this week’s #NJCAAmbb DI Player of the Week award💪

Vince has put on a show so far this season, will be able to Heron’s spot next year, and if LJ stays while adding Posh and Isaih Moore, next year could be really good and tourney bound.

« Reply #77 on: November 13, 2019, 11:45:33 PM »

No. 11 USC Salkehatchie relied on the sophomore’s 50/50/90 line to open the season with four wins!

Bound for St. John's, Cole nabs this week’s #NJCAAmbb DI Player of the Week award💪

Vince has put on a show so far this season, will be able to Heron’s spot next year, and if LJ stays while adding Posh and Isaih Moore, next year could be really good and tourney bound.

All good news. I like the plug and play with Heron.

Marillac

« Reply #78 on: November 14, 2019, 10:02:56 AM »

Heron is a two-time SEC 2nd team honoree and was just named preseason Big East second team. It’s unrealistic to expect a kid from an awful JUCO conference to be a full replacement. Heron is a fantastic defender and rebounder on top of what he provides as a scorer.

Re: Vince Cole- 6'5 SG- USC Salk - ST. JOHN'S (Signed)
« Reply #79 on: November 15, 2019, 01:32:01 PM »
Heron is a two-time SEC 2nd team honoree and was just named preseason Big East second team. It’s unrealistic to expect a kid from an awful JUCO conference to be a full replacement. Heron is a fantastic defender and rebounder on top of what he provides as a scorer.

I don't think he can replicate his skill or production but can plug his role.