2020 Transfers

• 299 replies

QuanMan

Re: 2020 Transfers
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2020, 09:22:22 PM »
With Sears transferring and Seryee Lewis committing tomorrow I don't think that it's the right fit. Lewis is a lanky 6'8" who will eventually grow into his frame but when talking immediate results for wins next season I'd rather focus on Marfo or another grad transfer banger.

As far as our next transfer goes lets all hope its Steere, who brought nothing to the table and was nearly kicked off the team in February. I'd rather keep McGriff who would serve as the perfect pesky backup to Posh. Keeping McGriff also allows Rah to play full time at the 2, his natural position where he'll be most dangerous.

All other ships/positions are manned at this point. Any other transfer besides the 2 I mentioned would be detrimental to our core. Yes, that includes DC who I think is going to be serviceable as a intelligent upperclassman who busts his butt and is already in IMA's favor.

Bring in a capable grad transfer banger, keep LJF, let Steere walk and we're really looking deep/dangerous come next Fall.

Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2020, 09:57:21 PM »
With Sears transferring and Seryee Lewis committing tomorrow I don't think that it's the right fit. Lewis is a lanky 6'8" who will eventually grow into his frame but when talking immediate results for wins next season I'd rather focus on Marfo or another grad transfer banger.

As far as our next transfer goes lets all hope its Steere, who brought nothing to the table and was nearly kicked off the team in February. I'd rather keep McGriff who would serve as the perfect pesky backup to Posh. Keeping McGriff also allows Rah to play full time at the 2, his natural position where he'll be most dangerous.

All other ships/positions are manned at this point. Any other transfer besides the 2 I mentioned would be detrimental to our core. Yes, that includes DC who I think is going to be serviceable as a intelligent upperclassman who busts his butt and is already in IMA's favor.

Bring in a capable grad transfer banger, keep LJF, let Steere walk and we're really looking deep/dangerous come next Fall.

I agree totally....I don’t think Lewis fits what we need right now and I think he picks the Hoyas anyway....you are def spot on with what we need next year in a perfect world....
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 11:57:34 PM by Johnnies93!! »

Marillac

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2020, 10:03:51 PM »
I agree totally....I don’t think Lewis fits what we need right and I think he licks the Hoyas anyway....you are def spot on with what we need next year in a perfect world....

I disagree with both of you. He seems to fit very well. We’ve got beef at the 4 with Champagnie and Earlington. This is a kid that can run the court and finish before bigs are set on D. Pretty good third PF if you ask me.

I suspect he pops for Georgetown tomorrow though.

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2020, 10:22:36 PM »
let Steere walk and we're really looking deep/dangerous come next Fall.
We don't do deep/dangerous. Let's hope we can do mediocre, squeak into the tourney and lose in the first round.

QuanMan

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2020, 10:28:50 PM »
I disagree with both of you. He seems to fit very well. We’ve got beef at the 4 with Champagnie and Earlington. This is a kid that can run the court and finish before bigs are set on D. Pretty good third PF if you ask me.

I suspect he pops for Georgetown tomorrow though.

The amount of minutes available at Georgetown next year is embarrassing. He should go there, especially when looking at trying to get minutes between Julian/Josh/Cell.

We need a brute, senior laden PF/C who knows his role and will provide immediate production. This team doesn't need a Dwayne Polee, we need a Sean Evans.
Section 3
Section 116

Marillac

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2020, 11:08:48 PM »
6’7 230 Landers Nolley transferring from Va Tech after averaging 15.5 and 5.8. He wants to play more on the wing.

He’ll get that chance here. Let’s see if. Anderson can connect with another guy from the south.

Marillac

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2020, 11:11:12 PM »
The amount of minutes available at Georgetown next year is embarrassing. He should go there, especially when looking at trying to get minutes between Julian/Josh/Cell.

We need a brute, senior laden PF/C who knows his role and will provide immediate production. This team doesn't need a Dwayne Polee, we need a Sean Evans.

We need a big center without a doubt. That seems to be the only actual hole for next year.

6’10 240 would be nice. As it stand we are going to have to play two skinny guys there in Roberts and Moore.

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2020, 12:07:51 AM »
6’7 230 Landers Nolley transferring from Va Tech after averaging 15.5 and 5.8. He wants to play more on the wing.

He’ll get that chance here. Let’s see if. Anderson can connect with another guy from the south.

This I can get behind!!would be a huge get!!

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2020, 01:06:26 AM »
Sears by all accounts seemed like a good kid who worked hard and was happy to be a Johnny but lets be real on the court he was outclassed and shouldn't have been here since jump street. Addition by subtraction and really happy he graduated and can play right away. Win win for both. 
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Dan

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2020, 02:13:07 AM »
Sears by all accounts seemed like a good kid who worked hard and was happy to be a Johnny but lets be real on the court he was outclassed and shouldn't have been here since jump street. Addition by subtraction and really happy he graduated and can play right away. Win win for both. 

Agree completely.

Steere on the other hand seems like he isn't willing to do the work or be a member of a team. Flamed out here and NC State. See ya!

Poison

« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2020, 08:31:16 AM »
Agree completely.

Steere on the other hand seems like he isn't willing to do the work or be a member of a team. Flamed out here and NC State. See ya!

Wouldn’t it be better though if Coach Anderson was able to motivate Ian Steere and he developed into a BE big man?

If he leaves, we have to start over with a new player.

Some recruits are going to take longer to develop. He doesn’t have to do that somewhere else. He’s had very little playing time so far, and I doubt he wants to wait yet another year to play, but maybe he’ll put the work in this summer. For whatever reason, he wasn’t in shape to play this year.

Still, he’s got two years left. Plenty of time to turn it around. All things considered, I’d prefer if it were here.

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2020, 08:57:05 AM »
Wouldn’t it be better though if Coach Anderson was able to motivate Ian Steere and he developed into a BE big man?

If he leaves, we have to start over with a new player.

Some recruits are going to take longer to develop. He doesn’t have to do that somewhere else. He’s had very little playing time so far, and I doubt he wants to wait yet another year to play, but maybe he’ll put the work in this summer. For whatever reason, he wasn’t in shape to play this year.

Still, he’s got two years left. Plenty of time to turn it around. All things considered, I’d prefer if it were here.
Not for nothing, Steere is no stranger to D1 basketball at this point. He quit NC State in Dec 2018. Transferred to St Johns, eligible in Jan 2020. Supposed to be practicing and working out. Shows nothing...nothing...when on the court.

To summarize, probably committed to NC State in April 2018. Quit December 2018. Transferred to St Johns December 2018, eligible January 2020. After practicing with team, shows no skills nor physical endurance. Too bad we cant transfer Caraher’s heart into Steere.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 08:58:07 AM by braintrust »

Poison

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2020, 10:00:55 AM »
Not for nothing, Steere is no stranger to D1 basketball at this point. He quit NC State in Dec 2018. Transferred to St Johns, eligible in Jan 2020. Supposed to be practicing and working out. Shows nothing...nothing...when on the court.

To summarize, probably committed to NC State in April 2018. Quit December 2018. Transferred to St Johns December 2018, eligible January 2020. After practicing with team, shows no skills nor physical endurance. Too bad we cant transfer Caraher’s heart into Steere.

I think he’s been awful, but not everyone grows up at the same time.

NYCoffey

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2020, 10:15:18 AM »
Not sure if this was already posted. Borzello's rankings of sit out transfers and immediately eligible
transfers.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28167956/college-basketball-transfer-rankings-2020-21-2021-22

Johnny23

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2020, 10:28:16 AM »
Not sure if this was already posted. Borzello's rankings of sit out transfers and immediately eligible
transfers.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28167956/college-basketball-transfer-rankings-2020-21-2021-22

Marfo, Koval, Croswell and Bruner. Staff should be all over these 4.

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2020, 11:08:01 AM »
I think he’s been awful, but not everyone grows up at the same time.

From the small sample size I saw he isn’t a high level division 1 player....the 2 times I saw him in the post the ball went down to his hip equaling one turnover and an attempt that looked like a shot putt from a guy who is 6 “10...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 11:08:35 AM by Johnnies93!! »

Poison

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2020, 11:46:35 AM »
From the small sample size I saw he isn’t a high level division 1 player....the 2 times I saw him in the post the ball went down to his hip equaling one turnover and an attempt that looked like a shot putt from a guy who is 6 “10...

What I saw was a guy that couldn’t move this year, but I’ve seen video from years ago of Steere, and regardless of the competition, he was in shape, and he could move.

He needs to get back to where he was. If he’s staying put, hopefully it’s because he understands this.

Poison

« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2020, 12:10:36 PM »
Gilbert from UConn is a grad transfer. If we lose a guard, that would be interesting.

« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2020, 04:30:26 PM »
Gilbert from UConn is a grad transfer. If we lose a guard, that would be interesting.

Can he come here? Thought they were BE next year, not sure of transfer rules

« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2020, 08:16:21 PM »

He played a total of 21 min (3.5 min per gam). I'm not sure what you can show in that amount of time.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle