2020 Transfers

• 299 replies

Johnny23

Re: 2020 Transfers
« Reply #280 on: June 05, 2020, 10:30:18 AM »
Arguably our best lineup might be... Dunn, Williams, Cole, Earlington, Champagnie

Couldn't play extended minutes but that would be matchup problems. Really dependent on Cole's ability to rebound.

Really dependent on a floor general. What's the one thing this program has lacked the most for years now? A true point. We finally have two of them on the roster. This lineup mentioned above may be the most prolific but I think it's been pretty glaring how much this team has needed a QB to run the show for a long time now, through many different coaching regimes.

ras

« Reply #281 on: June 05, 2020, 12:14:17 PM »
Yes and my point was that they stepped up because no one cared about them. When Heron went down teams had one less target to focus on and so they focused on LJF. Doug McDermott's father wasn't drawing up games plans designed to stop Earlington and Champagnie, he was saying let's stop LJF and maybe Dunn and let someone else beat us. And the issue I raised was how the players no one cared about will respond if someone takes pains to thwart them, which makes your post in response to mine a bit of a non sequitur.
I disagree, teams cared about them, they weren’t triple teaming LJ.

« Reply #282 on: June 05, 2020, 01:31:42 PM »
I think you're on the money. I will give some credit to the guys here though. I think overall the floor raised and the gap in talent from best to worst closed a bit. Part of that the ceiling lowered too.

It will be interesting to see if we can interchange parts and run mayhem without a drop-off for stretches at a time. We can win ugly with creating turnovers and transition points.
i'd rather win ugly than lose ugly

ras

« Reply #283 on: June 05, 2020, 01:50:39 PM »
i'd rather win ugly than lose ugly
I’d rather win ugly then loose pretty.

cjfish

« Reply #284 on: June 05, 2020, 03:29:39 PM »
you are all ignoring McGriff.  The close to the floor little guy will, if he plays D,  be a pain in the ass all over the floor (see bugsy Mogues)  And he should penetrate at will.  I think he will play 15-20 minutes easily and may wind up starting

Johnny23

« Reply #285 on: June 05, 2020, 03:39:49 PM »
you are all ignoring McGriff.  The close to the floor little guy will, if he plays D,  be a pain in the ass all over the floor (see bugsy Mogues)  And he should penetrate at will.  I think he will play 15-20 minutes easily and may wind up starting

I'm not as you can see from my post above. I agree about McGriff and looked forward to him from the second I saw his highlights over a year ago. Scrappy, good handle, the kind of floor general we need. Then you throw in Posh. Been a long time since we had real PG's running the show.

Foad

« Reply #286 on: June 05, 2020, 04:04:10 PM »
I disagree, teams cared about them, they weren’t triple teaming LJ.

No one triple teamed Shamorie Ponds. Therefore Shamorie Ponds was not the focus of opponents' defensive strategies.

Foad

« Reply #287 on: June 05, 2020, 04:05:14 PM »

Marillac

« Reply #288 on: June 05, 2020, 04:12:47 PM »
Arguably our best lineup might be... Dunn, Williams, Cole, Earlington, Champagnie

Couldn't play extended minutes but that would be matchup problems. Really dependent on Cole's ability to rebound. 

I think people are sleeping on both of our PGs. Unless Dunn comes back with a better shot — which is very possible — he won’t be starting at PG.

Posh can score better than most posters are giving him credit for. He gets a lot of points in scrambles and transition. My question with him is defense. He gets beat A LOT in any games you watch of his.

When Cole is getting rest, I like the idea of:

Posh-Dunn-Williams-Champ-Toro

That’s a fast group.

« Reply #289 on: June 05, 2020, 04:20:16 PM »
I think people are sleeping on both of our PGs. Unless Dunn comes back with a better shot — which is very possible — he won’t be starting at PG.

Posh can score better than most posters are giving him credit for. He gets a lot of points in scrambles and transition. My question with him is defense. He gets beat A LOT in any games you watch of his.

When Cole is getting rest, I like the idea of:

Posh-Dunn-Williams-Champ-Toro

That’s a fast group.
Can't remember the last time we had a guard who COULD stay in front of his man but more than anything else that may be a product of allowing the ball handler or should I say ball carrier palm and carry the ball like he was a running back.

« Reply #290 on: June 06, 2020, 12:30:49 AM »
I really don't think McGriff is gonna make an impact. Posh is gonna be Joel Berry lite. Not a bad thing by any stretch.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #291 on: June 06, 2020, 11:40:29 AM »
I think you're on the money. I will give some credit to the guys here though. I think overall the floor raised and the gap in talent from best to worst closed a bit. Part of that the ceiling lowered too.

It will be interesting to see if we can interchange parts and run mayhem without a drop-off for stretches at a time. We can win ugly with creating turnovers and transition points.

That’s a fair assessment. We don’t have a Shamorie Ponds level talent.
What I remember from teams that had one great player and a weak supporting cast is that they’ve faded early. From Omar Cook to Marcus Hatten to Shamorie Ponds, we know that we need a strong, balanced unit to finish strong. The teams that took out Shamorie late in 2019 didn’t have a talent like him. Not even close. But they played hard.

« Reply #292 on: June 06, 2020, 12:13:23 PM »
Nobody knew Shamorie Ponds was a Shamorie Ponds level talent until he started playing college ball. Can we wait until our newcomers start to play before we evaluate their talent level.

« Reply #293 on: June 06, 2020, 12:16:50 PM »
Nobody knew Shamorie Ponds was a Shamorie Ponds level talent until he started playing college ball. Can we wait until our newcomers start to play before we evaluate their talent level.
Sorry but I disagree. Shamorie came in a high level prospect who had a forty point game vs Ball and played in high level high school all star games.

Marillac

« Reply #294 on: June 06, 2020, 12:58:11 PM »

Marillac June 2016: 

“Has amazing body control away from the basket too.  Very high on this kid...most intriguing prospect I've seen from the area in some time.
Write this kid down for 2-3 steals a game in college.”

Ponds steals in college:  2.1, 2.3, 2.6.

Marillac also said Ponds was so good that top 25 and 5* recruit Heron might think twice about coming here. To that Marillac was told:

“Classic Marillac hyperbole” by one poster, “that’s quite a stretch Marillac” by another, and “By the end of this thread Ponds will be 6-10 and Marillac will have him challenging Malik Monk as a better player.”

Heron was clearly the lesser player when he finally transferred in. I don’t think that’s even debatable.

Poison

« Reply #295 on: June 06, 2020, 09:29:04 PM »

That’s not true. A lot of people knew.

Poison

« Reply #296 on: June 07, 2020, 01:31:22 PM »
I really don't think McGriff is gonna make an impact. Posh is gonna be Joel Berry lite. Not a bad thing by any stretch.

I don’t think anyone expects McGriff to make an impact like a starting guard would. He’s known to be a defensive minded player. I have only seen video, but I’m wondering, have you seen him play live, and if so, or if not, how did you come to your analysis of him?

« Reply #297 on: June 07, 2020, 05:06:02 PM »
I don’t think anyone expects McGriff to make an impact like a starting guard would. He’s known to be a defensive minded player. I have only seen video, but I’m wondering, have you seen him play live, and if so, or if not, how did you come to your analysis of him?

Yes and saw him play when Mike Anderson watched him. He played well that day and crazy thing was that the only reason he played so much was his teammate forgot his uniform at the hotel.

McGriff will push pace but will have his fair share of turnovers too.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

« Reply #298 on: June 07, 2020, 05:07:55 PM »
Yes and saw him play when Mike Anderson watched him. He played well that day and crazy thing was that the only reason he played so much was his teammate forgot his uniform at the hotel.

McGriff will push pace but will have his fair share of turnovers too.

I’d be more worried with Posh turnovers. McGriff has a better handle. Over/under for Posh turnovers will be 3.

« Reply #299 on: June 08, 2020, 06:51:44 PM »
Marillac June 2016: 

“Has amazing body control away from the basket too.  Very high on this kid...most intriguing prospect I've seen from the area in some time.
Write this kid down for 2-3 steals a game in college.”

Ponds steals in college:  2.1, 2.3, 2.6.

Marillac also said Ponds was so good that top 25 and 5* recruit Heron might think twice about coming here. To that Marillac was told:

“Classic Marillac hyperbole” by one poster, “that’s quite a stretch Marillac” by another, and “By the end of this thread Ponds will be 6-10 and Marillac will have him challenging Malik Monk as a better player.”

Heron was clearly the lesser player when he finally transferred in. I don’t think that’s even debatable.

THIRD PERSON MARILLAC IS BACK !!! LOVE IT !!! :)