Is "Sit down and Shut up" still the motto for Garden ushers

• 2 replies
Is "Sit down and Shut up" still the motto for Garden ushers
« on: October 31, 2008, 04:34:35 PM »
I am asking this because I think its time to get a petition started to give the fans a student section, free of alumni season ticket holders because right now, fans come into the Garden from the other team and take it over. I think a unified student section will help regain control of the Garden. In addition, this website should create an unwritten rule to ignore the "Sit down and Shut up" rule as long as we are not swearing and doing POSITIVE CHANTING. I call this civil disobedience.

Poison

Re: Is "Sit down and Shut up" still the motto for Garden ushers
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 04:35:29 PM »
probably

Re: Is "Sit down and Shut up" still the motto for Garden ushers
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 07:34:34 PM »
You should know that, even in the hey-day of college basketball in NYC and the Garden (40's-60's) when we enjoyed triple headers among other things, it was rare that students from one school covered more than 1/4th of one "end zone".  At a double header, the student section was divided into four parts with the students of the competing schools sitting behind the baskets  kitty corner from each other. On a routine game, we might fill 50% of the lower seats from the floor up with students in our half of the lower section. It is pretty much that way today in the BE championship with about 2-300 students in attendance. In big games with ranked intersectional competition, or when NYU or Manhattan were in or near the top 20 (there was no top 25 then) we would come close to filling our entire section. I would judge that to be about 600students, in the 'older' Garden.

I don't know how it works today but it would be refreshing, as it is in the BE Championship games, to see the 'whacko' students down near the floor all the time. Although they appear to be great seats, it is  really tough to see more than 1/2 the game from down there, but it is does make for an enormous emotional involvement.