Never thought I would live to see this Day

• 51 replies
Never thought I would live to see this Day
« on: November 04, 2008, 11:26:03 PM »
Congrats to Obama and to McCain for putting up a good fight. I hope the new adminstration brings on the change needed to get this country back on the right track. Amazing to see how Obama was able to energize his party young, old, black, white etc. and get the win. Again, never thought I would live to see this day..........

Re: Never thought I would live to see this Day
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 11:31:01 PM »
Truly historic night!  Congratulations to President Obama! 
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 11:44:31 PM »
I think its a great accomplishment that this is our first black president however I'm not sure how I feel about the media playing it up. I think its great to acknowledge it however I don't think it should be the main focus of reporting. In this day and age it shouldn't matter what his color is. I feel the same way about affirmative action and black history month as well.

Blacks fought hard to be on the same level as whites(in terms of human rights). Affirmative action doesn't put people on an equal plane nor does focusing 1 month out of 12 to acknowledge black history either. I know this has been brought up in other threads but I think we should all compete equally for jobs and I think we should celebrate black history every month as its history not just black history.

I'm looking forward to the speech coming up. Hopefully this is the change we need!
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 11:46:01 PM »
Also where do the news get all these voting stats from? 90% of whites vote for McCain, 40% of whites who make less than 50k voted for Obama, 90% of blacks voted for Obama, 90% of new voters voted for Obama, etc.(these stats are made up by me however I've heard similar examples on the news)
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 11:54:02 PM »
I thought they got that data from exit polling.

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 11:56:36 PM »
I saw an interview with a woman talking about how she and her mother felt when an Irish Catholic, John Kennedy, was elected President.  This is a GREAT day for Blacks and I , personally, have no problem with that being the focus---at least for tonight.  Barack will refocus attention soon enough on the work of the country.

Barack is an incredible individual who has accomplished something that I had a hard time imagining that he could do.  I ask America to just give him a chance.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 11:57:46 PM by simplyred »

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 12:15:38 AM »
I hope we can just start calling Obama an "American"

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 12:16:07 AM »
Oh and congrats to Obama, thats about all I can muster up

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 12:24:12 AM »
Sam Cooke wuz right.
A change gonna come.
And it did tonight.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 12:28:13 AM »
Sam Cooke wuz right.
A change gonna come.
And it did tonight.

It's been a long time coming.......but never thought I would see this. The highlight of my day for me was voting with my six year old son this morning. He was in the booth with me and telling me who to vote for. American leadership has a lot of work to do.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 12:37:53 AM »
Chicago is out of hand today.

This is a great day for everyone; and the news, while wringing the historic racial aspect of what happened, has a right to do so - this is a sight that no one could have imagined 50 years ago.  Older civil rights leaders and baby boomers certainly have a right to acknowledge how far people have come.  And how far the US has to go in terms of actual equal opportunity, especially in educational opportunities.

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 01:09:22 AM »
This is great and wonderful. Finally for one election equal opportunity finally worked. Congrads to Obama!!!

LJSA

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 02:00:50 AM »

What do you currently call him (other than the N word), because the last time I checked he is an American.

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 02:06:10 AM »

What do you currently call him (other than the N word), because the last time I checked he is an American.

Never called anyone the N word,so check yourself. Is he African or American? . OR is it the Kenyan African American President from Illinois. Now he is the AMERICAN PRESIDENT.

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 02:15:13 AM »
Since we're going to be cognizant of racial identity, he did come out of a white woman.
Maybe in the future an Asian-American, a Latino, a 100% African-American, an Italian, a woman, a homosexual, or even a Jewish person will be elected. Then again, hopefully in the future it won't matter. 

LJSA

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2008, 03:14:39 AM »

Never called anyone the N word,so check yourself. Is he African or American? . OR is it the Kenyan African American President from Illinois. Now he is the AMERICAN PRESIDENT.

I'm actually going to just go ahead and not believe you because half of your posts have a racist tinge.

And the only thing worse than a racist is a closet racist. You should try growing a sac and just admit that you are.

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2008, 03:25:21 AM »
Sam Cooke wuz right.
A change gonna come.
And it did tonight.

I played Sam Cooke's "A Change is Gonna Come" as the last song on my radio show on Sunday. Luckily, it will still make sense when the show is replayed on Thursday morning. I was worried about that.
A needed change, for sure.
I visited the Civil Rights of Museum a year ago this past February. To those who haven't been, it winds up on the balcony where Dr. King was shot and killed. As my wife and I were standing there, we talked about how that tragedy really wasn't so long ago. Now less than two years later, we have this.
I am white and feel totally inspired by what's taken place with this election. We should all hope this is a turning point for our nation in a variety of ways. Just an incredible evening.

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2008, 05:38:49 AM »
Also where do the news get all these voting stats from? 90% of whites vote for McCain, 40% of whites who make less than 50k voted for Obama, 90% of blacks voted for Obama, 90% of new voters voted for Obama, etc.(these stats are made up by me however I've heard similar examples on the news)
exit polling.  it's usually pretty accurate.

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2008, 05:40:14 AM »
this is a great day for america.  a great day to be proud of our country.

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2008, 07:41:29 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUT1WgHat6I

Sing it high brothers and sisters!
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.