Town Hall

• 19 replies
Town Hall
« on: May 24, 2009, 04:00:48 PM »
I posted this a couple of years ago on how Norm, Father Harrington and Chris should have a town hall meeting in Carnesca with the fans. Now I know they would never do one but if there was one and you could ask one question to the administration, what would it be?

Re: Town Hall
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 04:51:07 PM »
considering they would be totaly honest. I only have one question.  On a scale of 1-10 how important is winning? 
The phrase perfect storm refers to the a simultaneous occurrence of events which, taken individually, would be far less powerful than the result of their chance combination. Such occurrences are, by their very nature, rare, and so even a slight change in any one event contributing to a ‘perfect storm’ would be sufficient to lessen the overall power of the final event.

boo3

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 05:11:49 PM »
   Why did you guys decide to get rid of "Flag Boy"?  And when can we expect his return?

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 06:12:12 PM »
Father Harrington rarely, if ever, makes a comment to the press about the basketball program, so I don't think he would ever go out in front of fans and talk about it.

I wonder if Harrington can even name 4 members of the team.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 06:30:58 PM »
WHY DID YOU HIRE MIKE JARVIS???

boo3

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 06:42:16 PM »

Really?   that's your question.  Nothing like being a monday morning quaterback .   Mike Jarvis has a career 248-114 record at GW and BU before he was hired.  I think thats a little better than out current coachs resume prior to being hired.  No doubt Jarvis turned into a disaster and hurt this program immeasurably,  but the hire itself was not a bad decision AT THE TIME. 

Its like being a Falcon fan and being pissed that you drafted Michael Vick.  Of course your pissed now,  but you weren't when he beat Greeen Bay in Lambeau in the playoffs  in year 2.

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 06:48:55 PM »

Really?   that's your question.  Nothing like being a monday morning quaterback .   Mike Jarvis has a career 248-114 record at GW and BU before he was hired.  I think thats a little better than out current coachs resume prior to being hired.  No doubt Jarvis turned into a disaster and hurt this program immeasurably,  but the hire itself was not a bad decision AT THE TIME. 

Its like being a Falcon fan and being pissed that you drafted Michael Vick.  Of course your pissed now,  but you weren't when he beat Greeen Bay in Lambeau in the playoffs  in year 2.

My next question would be, Why did you fire Fran?

Boo, maybe you could follow up my question by asking, Do you think Jarvis did a good job?

boo3

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 06:56:30 PM »
  Much better questions Marco!!  If your asking me,  Of course i don't think Jarvis did a good job in retrospect.  I will admit,  i loved him when we were in the elite eight.  But the alienation of HS coaches, paying of players, and overall arrogance he displayed cost this program more than the Norm Roberts Error will when its all said and done.

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 06:59:07 PM »
  Much better questions Marco!!  If your asking me,  Of course i don't think Jarvis did a good job in retrospect.  I will admit,  i loved him when we were in the elite eight.  But the alienation of HS coaches, paying of players, and overall arrogance he displayed cost this program more than the Norm Roberts Error will when its all said and done.

boo, I was just kidding with you. BUt ya-all the above and winning with Frans players = not a good job

Marillac

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 10:07:34 PM »

Boo, maybe you could follow up my question by asking, Do you think Jarvis did a good job?

Did Jarvis kill your dog or something?  You are obsessed with him. The guy was awesome at GW.  He just led them to a Sweet 16 and he was one of the biggest and most respected names in the country.

Even at his worst--which was still better than Norm's best--he was still bringing in talent!  He got us Hatten-McDonald's All-American Ingram--and top 25 Daryll Hill (with top 75 Lamont Hamilton) three consecutive years. He also had Quinton Hosley and NBA draft pick signed and Biggs and Character ready to commit.  Biggs loved him. 

Jarvis is not what is holding Norm back.  Norm's career record is what is holding him back.  Recruits were in elementary school when Jarvis last stepped foot on campus.

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 12:13:58 AM »

Did Jarvis kill your dog or something?  You are obsessed with him. The guy was awesome at GW.  He just led them to a Sweet 16 and he was one of the biggest and most respected names in the country.

Even at his worst--which was still better than Norm's best--he was still bringing in talent!  He got us Hatten-McDonald's All-American Ingram--and top 25 Daryll Hill (with top 75 Lamont Hamilton) three consecutive years. He also had Quinton Hosley and NBA draft pick signed and Biggs and Character ready to commit.  Biggs loved him. 

Jarvis is not what is holding Norm back.  Norm's career record is what is holding him back.  Recruits were in elementary school when Jarvis last stepped foot on campus.

Jarvis didnt kill my dog, he killed St Johns basketball ;) Anyways, I also just heard today that something shady is going down with that Florida Atlantic program. Im sure it will become public soon enough ;)

Marillac

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 12:23:51 AM »

Jarvis didnt kill my dog, he killed St Johns basketball ;) Anyways, I also just heard today that something shady is going down with that Florida Atlantic program. Im sure it will become public soon enough ;)

Norm kiled St. John's basketball.

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2009, 07:38:20 AM »

Hittin the Zima hard this weekend huh?

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 09:49:56 AM »
I'd ask them the following questions

1. Are they ever going to fix the air conditioning in Carnesecca Arena

2. What do they think about Norm's last recruiting class being basically a bust with 2/3 of the players transferring

3. How do they explain Norm at the top of the Big East in transfers with the rate not slowing down even though Norm is entering his 6th year

4. How do they rationalize keeping Norm when he has the lowest winning % in Big East History with coaches tenure of more than 4 years.

5. What is their definition of a successful season this coming year

6. What to they feel about Norm always throwing the players under the bus after games and never accepting personal responsibility for his many losses

7. Do they see a correlation with the dwindling fan support with each year they bring back Norm

8. What proof can they gives fans that they are committed to having a coach who is capable of winning in the Big East

Marillac

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 12:54:17 PM »

Hittin the Zima hard this weekend huh?

You are the Zima Warrior Princess.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2009, 10:54:32 AM »
I like this question.  I'd go with:

1. What are some of your metrics for success with the basketball program?

2. To Norm: what is your philosophy for building a basketball team and how has it changed?  What did you learn working under Bill Self?  How have you changed your recruiting style and emphases?

3. To all: what is your model for winning and what do you believe are the keys to success?

4. What is the model for reclaiming fan support and revenue at the Garden for basketball?

(These questions assume 2 things: 1- an a-hole question won't get answered, and 2- Monasch wouldn't throw anyone under a bus in such a session.  No one would.  The real questions for me would be about getting into what Monasch's analytical mindset is w/r/t the basketball team, if he is learning anything from other ADs/ sports analysts/ numerical data... and what makes him think Norm Roberts is going to turn anything around.)

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2009, 12:18:44 PM »
Also I'd ask why has the womens team who for the most part have never been successful turned around dramatically for Coach Kim ans the men's team hasnt when both coaches have been here for roughly the same amount of time.

Also how come coach Kim has had much better success recruiting than Norm

pmg911

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2009, 09:24:02 AM »
To Norm:

Why don't you ever take personal responsibility for the team's constant failures.?

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2009, 11:54:35 PM »
Father Harrington to Jim Pellow just prior to the meeting...

"Hey Jimbo, where is Carnesecca arena again?"

pmg911

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2009, 10:32:38 AM »
Could you imagine if they did this.?

I would go just to see the crowd interaction. I would pay a lot of money to see some of the posters on this site and other sites in the same room.

Although I doubt a lot of the more obnoxious posters would show up.