St John's all century team

• 46 replies
Re: St John's all century team
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2007, 08:38:01 AM »
Bill S over Malik. He was Mullin before Mullin. He averaged (and correct me if I'm wrong) 24 a game one year.

If Billy S was really C-God why wudn't he the player of the year or an all-american teamer? How come he aint have an all-star career in the league when y'all had two leagues to play in? Why aint he got hisself a gold medal? Why didnt St. John make him one of 10 legends?

Not takin anytin away from the brotha, but when y'all compare him to C-God thems is a lofty place to go. Plius y'all gotta give Malik his due. Brotha was the last great playa St. John really had. (No O to Ron Ron but he didnt leave his mark as much as Malik).
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

pmg911

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2007, 08:57:38 AM »
Bill S over Malik. He was Mullin before Mullin. He averaged (and correct me if I'm wrong) 24 a game one year.

If Billy S was really C-God why wudn't he the player of the year or an all-american teamer? How come he aint have an all-star career in the league when y'all had two leagues to play in? Why aint he got hisself a gold medal? Why didnt St. John make him one of 10 legends?

Not takin anytin away from the brotha, but when y'all compare him to C-God thems is a lofty place to go. Plius y'all gotta give Malik his due. Brotha was the last great playa St. John really had. (No O to Ron Ron but he didnt leave his mark as much as Malik).

Choz. . anyone who doesn't give Malik his proper respect doesn't know ANYTHING about basketball...   there is no question he is one of the 10 best players ever @ St. John's University...

« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2007, 10:18:15 AM »
i remember looie saying years ago the four most intelligent players he had were mark jackson, chris mullin, george johnson and malik sealy.

schaeffer was an outstanding player.  i'll give him his due.  he was an outstanding player.  he wasn't better, overall, than malik.

« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2007, 07:11:59 PM »
i don't take stats from the 1950-70's that seriosuly.  such a diff game, not much talent or height.  and i mean really it's sucha long time ago.

for goodness sakes wilt chamberlain averaged 50 and 25 one year. need i say anymore?
[Back in those 70's they had a game at the Astro Dome. Lou Alcinder vs Elvin (The Big E ) Hayes,more than 45,000 fans watched these two go head to head. Last year the # 1 draft pick was a talented center from Ohio St. "Oden" if he was on Houston or UCLA back in the 70's he would have been a backup if he wanted to play center.

Alacinder/quote]

« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2007, 09:41:39 PM »
PMG, leaving Sealy off the list was an oversight. But I know basketball. 
I played against Mullin, Jackson, Billy D. , Russell, Tim Kempton etc. I learned under former SJU guard Gus Alfieri. I may have forgotten about Sealy and should have included him instead of Goodwin. My memory may be going but my BBall IQ is intact. None of you latecomers know about Billy Schaeffer because back then ONLY guys from UCLA, NC or Notre Dame got any publicity. And David Thompson

« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2007, 10:02:30 AM »
I saw both Billy S. and Malik.. .a lot. It's an interesting question, and not a no-brainer one way.

Choz, can't say why Billy didn't get more recognition, but it certainly seemed in those years that we didn't get recognition on a lot of fronts. Contrary to the (understandable) revisionist history that happens among younger Johnnie fans, a top 20 appearance was not common under St. Louie, and we always felt that it was a fight to get any recognition at all.

If you saw him you knew that Billy was one of the best players in college. No question. So was Malik. They were very different and played in different eras and it's difficult to compare. But certainly comparing Billy in his time against Malik in his, Billy doesn't come up short.

Maybe I should say this - Malik was great. Billy was great. i loved watching them both. Maybe one was 'better' than the other... but it'd be real, real close. Both deserve their props.

« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2007, 11:21:34 AM »
lets keep the talk of the past 100 years to basketball here
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle