George Matthews - SF - St. Mary's - Chandler, AZ

• 26 replies

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
George Matthews - SF - St. Mary's - Chandler, AZ
« on: September 11, 2009, 01:07:50 PM »
From Rivals: Click Here

St. Mary's High School's 6-foot-6 senior George Matthews is coming off a very good spring and summer performance, where he changed the minds of many doubters about his potential as a high major prospect.

Since Matthews has been playing up at the 17U level since he was a mere freshman on the AAU/club circuit, he has seen his share of great competition and also a high level of college recruitment early on in his young career. As a result, often times a player's recruitment can reach it's peak too early and begin to tail off late in the recruiting process.

This has definitely been the case for Matthews, or atleast it was the case until late last month when UCONN assistant coach Andre Lefleur caught notice of Matthews' play in the Duel in the Desert tournament played in Gilbert, Arizona in late July.

Since then, the Huskies have shown serious interest in the Phoenix forward prospect.

Matthews will take an unofficial visit to UCONN's campus this weekend on Sunday to get a better look at the school and their amazing basketball program. Matthews will be attending the prestigious Five Star Camp next week, so he and his family have decided to take a trip to UCONN's campus while in the area, and meet with Hall of Fame Head Coach Jim Calhoun and his basketball staff.

Matthews currently has a scholarship offer on the table from St. Johns and Utah, and is beginning to receive serious high major interest for his play this summer.

Matthews has already received a passing score on his SAT college entrance examination.

Arizona Preps will continue to follow the recruitment of Matthews and bring you any updatess as they continue to develop.

Arizona Preps Scouting Report: As a player, Matthews is a bit of a throw-back performer. A fundamentally sound forward that likes to score from mid-range. He uses pump fakes and jab steps to gain an offensive edge on his defender, while using either hand around the basket to score. He is a very strong finisher around the basket, utlizing a vareity of moves and is able to dunk the basketball with ease as a result of his very long wingspan. His long, rangy body suggests that he could grow to be 6-7 or 6-8 in heigth before he finishes growing. Also a very good defender for his age, he sits low while guarding his man and uses good lateral foot quickness to stay in front of his offensive opponent. His long wingspan also allows him to alter or block shots, making it tough for opposition to score on him. He is also a very good offensive rebounder that is always around the basketball. Has very good upside.

ESPN: Click Here

November, 2007: Matthews is a physically mature sophomore whose skills (one of the few players that uses the glass on his perimeter shot) are pretty solid at this point of his career. He is a decent athlete (not overly quick and/or explosive) with some solid length to him that he utilizes well in the open court. He doesn't get great lift on his jump shot and his handle (excessive dribbler) needs some refining as well. Although Mathews is very poised and his pull-up game is pretty solid, he'll need to refine all aspects of his game (especially his shooting), if he's going to warrant any high division one looks.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 01:11:53 PM by Dave »

Re: George Matthews - SF - St. Mary's - Chandler, AZ
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 01:14:35 PM »
Hmm interesting late bloomer here. Not sure how he would fit into our program in 2010. Wonder if he has any chance to prep a year.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 03:37:27 PM »
So Book come here and get NYC playaz.
And we go out there fo a Phoenix playa.

Sometin dont seem right.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

gonzalo

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 11:29:31 AM »

Sometin dont seem right.

Very true.

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 10:07:39 PM »

Sometin dont seem right.

Very true.

Does it really matter? If the Kid can ball and he is a playa then......

pmg911

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 11:33:55 AM »
Has SJU ever had success with a player from the western part of the country..?

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 11:39:31 AM »
... what does that even mean? Has St. John's ever had success with a Brazilian player, while we're at it?  Past history of other, unrelated players has little to do with current recruiting.  If you can point out a baller from the southwest who had a terrible time and froze in the snow while being dissed by KRS-One's posse or the Kiss army or the cast of the Sopranos... then that could be an issue.

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 01:00:12 PM »
Some y'all say I dont care where a playa comes as long as he can ball.

Understand the sentiment, but I rely on histry. And any successful St. John team had itself a core NYC group led by a NYC superstar.

Look at the recent eras of success yo

Mullin/Berry/Jackson era
Sealy/Boo/Jayson Williams era
Artest/Barkley era

St. John need to corrall NYC playas in order to be successful.

They can get theyselves some outsiders like Hatten or Postell. No doubt, they was balaz of teh first priority.

But St. John need NYC. And bad.

I like what they do wit DH and Omari.

But they still aint got no juice on the streets. And they need to get back there.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 01:02:03 PM by Choz4Life »

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 02:29:52 PM »
If we have no juice with NYC players and programs, then I don't mind going out and getting good players from elsewhere who are willing to come here.  Maybe those out of town players will help us get back to the point where we are looked at by the local guys.

By the way, where is Curtis Kelly?

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 02:40:31 PM »
Isn't Kelly at Kansas State now?

Hatten was a harbinger of bad times - the NYC players who were in the fold had simply regressed.

But the point I'm making Choz is not about the core of the team. Let's say this AZ guy signs with the team and is the 2010 recruit. He's just a piece; the 2011 team will have Malik Stith (LI), Omari (HOME), Quincy (PA), and this guy. It would be better if the 2010 recruit was another connect to NY, but he's only one guy.  And whether or not St. John's has had success with a (single) player from out west is irrelevant.

Additionally: if there's one thing this staff needs to do is NOT bring in another wing. Centers take longer to develop, forwards also need to get physically stronger than they get playing against the shorter HS competition. On a team with 4 returning players (as they'll hopefully have in 2011), you got to have at least one big.

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 03:07:13 PM »
Isn't Kelly at Kansas State now?

Hatten was a harbinger of bad times - the NYC players who were in the fold had simply regressed.

But the point I'm making Choz is not about the core of the team. Let's say this AZ guy signs with the team and is the 2010 recruit. He's just a piece; the 2011 team will have Malik Stith (LI), Omari (HOME), Quincy (PA), and this guy. It would be better if the 2010 recruit was another connect to NY, but he's only one guy.  And whether or not St. John's has had success with a (single) player from out west is irrelevant.

Additionally: if there's one thing this staff needs to do is NOT bring in another wing. Centers take longer to develop, forwards also need to get physically stronger than they get playing against the shorter HS competition. On a team with 4 returning players (as they'll hopefully have in 2011), you got to have at least one big.

Brother, they was one year we went into Kentucky and got ourselves Sergio Luyk while Kentucky come into NYC and get theyselves Mash.

Dont want no mo of that.

pmg911

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 03:08:10 PM »
... what does that even mean? Has St. John's ever had success with a Brazilian player, while we're at it?  Past history of other, unrelated players has little to do with current recruiting.  If you can point out a baller from the southwest who had a terrible time and froze in the snow while being dissed by KRS-One's posse or the Kiss army or the cast of the Sopranos... then that could be an issue.

Jesus Peter. . get off your high horse, it was just a question..?

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2009, 03:25:54 PM »

High horse? He simply just responded. Generally what happens when someone poses a question.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2009, 04:57:53 PM »

Where is someone to make a historical crack about Jesus and Peter...? :D

I should have added a smiley face; I meant that (I thought obviously) as a bit of humor. Has St. John's ever had success with a Martian?

Really, I'm saying that while St. John's should have a core of New York/ NJ/ PA players, it's not that important that this one player is from Arizona. A good program has got to get good players from all over.  Not like this Matthews kid is as far under the radar as Ty Edmondson!

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2009, 11:29:05 PM »

Understand the sentiment, but I rely on histry. And any successful St. John team had itself a core NYC group led by a NYC superstar.

Mullin/Berry/Jackson era
Artest/Barkley era

They can get theyselves some outsiders like Hatten or Postell. No doubt, they was balaz of teh first priority.

But they still aint got no juice on the streets. And they need to get back there.

I think we are making inroads. Kids in the upcoming classes respect Omari's game and hopefully they could see themselves playin along side of him but these kids want to play for a winner and that is our biggest problem. We need a 20 win season this year and a post season birth (non CBI).

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2009, 12:49:50 PM »

Mullin/Berry/Jackson era
Artest/Barkley era

I think we are making inroads. Kids in the upcoming classes respect Omari's game and hopefully they could see themselves playin along side of him but these kids want to play for a winner and that is our biggest problem. We need a 20 win season this year and a post season birth (non CBI).

Thing is... I dont see O gettin a lot of playin time this year less they is injuries.

Y'all got Mase, Paris, Quincy, DJ and DH ahead of him at the 2 and 3 already.

Plus he still workin his way into primary shape like when he skyin at St. Ray Ray.

pmg911

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2009, 02:56:13 PM »

High horse? He simply just responded. Generally what happens when someone poses a question.

King Dave to the rescue...

pmg911

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2009, 03:03:45 PM »

I should have added a smiley face; I meant that (I thought obviously) as a bit of humor. Has St. John's ever had success with a Martian?

Really, I'm saying that while St. John's should have a core of New York/ NJ/ PA players, it's not that important that this one player is from Arizona. A good program has got to get good players from all over.  Not like this Matthews kid is as far under the radar as Ty Edmondson!

St. John's has historically not had any success with kids being strong players for the program who come from the4 western part of the country.

Choz is 100% correct, the teams needs to get kids from the city to lead it back. Omari Lawrence is a great start and dwight Hardy could end up being a great addition.

Jarvis lost the core city players and then lost his program. All of the coaches before Norm have had high level of success with kids from the city.

Can anyone tell me the last time St. John's had a highly productive player from west of the Mississippi.

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2009, 03:07:36 PM »

St. John's has historically not had any success with kids being strong players for the program who come from the4 western part of the country.

Choz is 100% correct, the teams needs to get kids from the city to lead it back. Omari Lawrence is a great start and dwight Hardy could end up being a great addition.

Jarvis lost the core city players and then lost his program. All of the coaches before Norm have had high level of success with kids from the city.

Can anyone tell me the last time St. John's had a highly productive player from west of the Mississippi.

Bill Wennington

pmg911

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2009, 03:25:22 PM »

Bill Wennington

he is from Montreal and went to high school on Long Island