Lance Stephenson - SF - Abraham Lincoln HS - Brooklyn, NY

• 784 replies
Re: Lance Stephenson - SF - Abraham Lincoln HS - Brooklyn, NY
« Reply #160 on: September 09, 2008, 12:35:46 PM »
If Zendon Hamilton,Ron Artest and Erick Barkley can get eligible-so can Lance.

pmg911

« Reply #161 on: September 09, 2008, 12:48:21 PM »

Different standards these days Marco...

« Reply #162 on: September 09, 2008, 12:51:19 PM »
Guys Lance could take a full page ad out in the NY DAILY NEW, NY POST and NEWDAYS declaring his intention to attend St. John's...   tons and tons of VERY loyal fans would be thrilled...

BUT HE STILL HAS TO GET ELIGIBLE AND MAKE IT THROUGH THE CLEARINGHOUSE...   
You don't usually mince words.
Just how bad are LS's "academics?"

I have said for a long long time that Lance might come here..    people can say anything they want..   his Father has a massive amount of influence with the kid and his Father doesn't want him to far away...

Lance's grades might keep him eligible to play in the PSAL but as of right now he sure isn't getting through the clearinghouse..   and if he got the score he needed on the SAT/ACT last Spring on his first try. .  you would have heard about it...
I was hoping for something more concrete, one way or the other, but thanks for the reply.
We'll just have to wait and see if Tiny can pull out any more stops.

From your lips to God's ears, but..
Barkley had to go to MCI and arrive as a 20 year old. Hamilton took his infamous SAT test.
Even after going to Old Tappan for a pair of years, Lenny Cooke, who was certainly on Jarvis' radar, never qualified.

« Reply #163 on: September 09, 2008, 01:28:04 PM »

Different standards for who? The NCAA,school,coaching staff,athletic dept or the fans?

pmg911

« Reply #164 on: September 09, 2008, 01:43:01 PM »

Different standards for who? The NCAA,school,coaching staff,athletic dept or the fans?

There are different standards to become eligible for the players now... 

pmg911

« Reply #165 on: September 09, 2008, 01:45:23 PM »
this was on BEB, per redstormhoopsfan..

NEW RULE:

14 Core Courses:

4 years of English.

2 years of mathematics ( Algebra I or higher ) .

2 years of natural/physical science ( 1year of lab if offered by high school ) .

1 year of additional English, mathematics or natural/physical science.

2 years of social science.

3 years of additional courses ( from any area above or foreign language, nondoctrinal religion/philosophy, computer science ).

Computer science is being eliminated as an acceptable core-course area for students first entering any college or university on or after August 1, 2005. Students entering college on or after August 1, 2005, may not use any computer science courses in meeting the core course requirements.

The "sliding scale" has also been extended. It will now allow a higher core GPA to reduce the SAT component. A 2.5 core GPA will still require a 820 SAT score, a higher core GPA of 2.75 GPA would need a 720 SAT score, a 3.0 core GPA would only require a 620 SAT score and a 3.55 core GPA would require just a 400 SAT score. The NCAA states that their research indicates that core class grades were the best indicators of academic success during a student-athlete’s freshman year. The NCAA has also announced that they might also increase the overall number of required core classes to 15 or 16 in the near future.

« Reply #166 on: September 09, 2008, 01:48:15 PM »

There are different standards to become eligible for the players now... 

Oh I thought we were talking about morals here. Would or should we go back to the days of shadiness, like some schools stilll practice?

« Reply #167 on: September 09, 2008, 02:32:49 PM »

actually there were changes as of 8/1/08..another year of Math and another year of "other" courses...we wouldn't want any athletes coming up 2 courses short because of the Jungle.

"Important Information About Division I
Initial-Eligibility Changes
The Division I initial-eligibility requirements have changed.

For the class of 2008: Division I only -- 16 core courses
If you plan to enter college in 2008 or after, you will need to present 16 core courses in the following breakdown:

4 years of English                           
3 years of mathematics (Algebra I or higher)                           
2 years of natural/physical science (one must be a lab science)                           
1 year of additional English, math or science                           
2 years of social studies                           
4 years of additional core courses (from any area listed above, or from foreign language, nondoctrinal religion or philosophy)"
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #168 on: September 09, 2008, 02:33:49 PM »

actually there were changes as of 8/1/08..another year of Math and another year of "other" courses...we wouldn't want any athletes coming up 2 courses short because of the Jungle.

"Important Information About Division I
Initial-Eligibility Changes
The Division I initial-eligibility requirements have changed.

For the class of 2008: Division I only -- 16 core courses
If you plan to enter college in 2008 or after, you will need to present 16 core courses in the following breakdown:

4 years of English                           
3 years of mathematics (Algebra I or higher)                           
2 years of natural/physical science (one must be a lab science)                           
1 year of additional English, math or science                           
2 years of social studies                           
4 years of additional core courses (from any area listed above, or from foreign language, nondoctrinal religion or philosophy)"

I hear Tiny Morton teaches all these classes

« Reply #169 on: September 09, 2008, 03:57:13 PM »
Marco, shadiness or no shadiness the Clearinghouse requirements are the Clearinghouse requirements.  There are different requirements for Division I than Division II.  If the numbers on the players' transcript don't meet up to the Clearinghouse requirements (whether it's the 16 cores, or the sliding scale of SAT score and GPA) then the athlete won't be cleared to play.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #171 on: September 13, 2008, 09:41:06 PM »
Latest update from Zags:

http://www.zagsblog.net/2008/09/12/lances-recruiting-on-the-down-low/

This has old quotes in it.

Anyways Lance Stephenson requested friendship with Johnny Jungle today.....progress....maybe...
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #172 on: September 13, 2008, 10:07:21 PM »
He requested it or was asked? I can't picture Lance reaching out to the jungle.

Randomhero423

« Reply #173 on: September 13, 2008, 10:12:05 PM »
he asked.

« Reply #174 on: September 17, 2008, 01:57:01 PM »

« Reply #175 on: September 17, 2008, 02:03:20 PM »
some interesting quotes...this would be huge.  I also like that he would be a one and done which would free up a ship for 2010 class.

"According to sources, the visit with Lance and his parents went very well, St. John’s feels good about it and the Red Storm believe they have a realistic shot at landing the 6-foot-5 Stephenson in the spring.

“He’s always had St. John’s on his list,” Morton said.

“I think they’re going to have a very good shot at him,” said recruiting analyst Tom Konchalski, who is close to the Stephenson family."
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #176 on: September 17, 2008, 08:22:27 PM »
As per Zagsblog.-

http://www.zagsblog.net

Lance Stephenson had an in-home visit last Thursday with St. John’s head coach Norm Roberts and assistant Fred Quartlebaum.

“Yes,” said Lincoln coach Dwayne “Tiny” Morton.

According to sources, the visit with Lance and his parents went very well, St. John’s feels good about it and the Red Storm believe they have a realistic shot at landing the 6-foot-5 Stephenson in the spring.

“He’s always had St. John’s on his list,” Morton said.

“I think they’re going to have a very good shot at him,” said recruiting analyst Tom Konchalski, who is close to the Stephenson family.

Only a handful of schools are recruiting Stephenson — Kansas and USC and Lance has also mentioned Memphis and Texas — perhaps in part because they think Stephenson will be a one-and-done or that he might go overseas, a la Brandon Jennings.

Lance has said on several occasions that he won’t sign until the late signing period in April.

“Right now, I’m just worrying about basketball and at the end I’ll do all that college stuff,” Stephenson, a senior at Brooklyn Lincoln ranked No. 4 among shooting guards in the Class of 2009, told me recently. “I’m going to do my high school season and after that I look forward to telling everybody what school I should go to.”

Lance Stephenson Sr. did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

“We’re just not talking about it really,” he said previously. “We’re just going to keep it private. That’s the way it is.”

St. John’s also had an in-home visit Monday with 6-7 power forward James Padgett. Padgett took an official visit last weekend to Maryland, which he described as “fair.” He will visit Pittsburgh this weekend.

HALL OF FAME INDUCTIONS TONIGHT

Kenny Anderson, Rod Strickland, and Sam Perkins headline tonight’s inductions into the NYC Basketball Hall of Fame at the New York Athletic Club.

Eddie “The Eel” Younger, who played at Long Island University and with the New York Rens, coach Pete Gillen, and Rucker Pro League contributor Bob McCullough will also be inducted, as will former Columbia star Lou Bender.

The event is sold out.

-Good news to hear St. John's has a good shot at this talented kid.

Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

kjd01067

« Reply #177 on: September 20, 2008, 11:18:58 AM »
http://stjohns.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=852617

Top NY guard takes 2nd visit to Johnnies

Maurice Wingate
RedStormReport.com Editor

After the verbal commitment of Omari Lawrence, it looks like the flood gates have opened with regard to interest in St. John's University.

Lance Stephenson A top player in New York has recently taken a second visit to University and has placed them on high on his list.

While some looked at the commitment of Kevin Parrom to Xavier as proof that the Lawrence commitment was just a glitch, there are also signs that there might be more commitments to follow.

Last Thursday, Lance Stephenson had another unofficial visit to St. Johns. Stephenson had taken his first visit during the St. John's camp this summer.

When asked about his opinion of the Johnnies, Stephenson said, "They've already got a couple of good players and a good big man and I think with a new point guard coming in, we can work with it."

Asked if he thinks he would work well with Lawrence, Stephenson said, "Yeah, I think me and him could bring New York back."

Stephenson was also clear to point out that he has not made a final decision with regard to which school he will ultimately pick and won't decide on one until after the upcoming season. He plans to take a few more visits but it is also clear that St. John's is right up there in the running.

Another New Yorker that St. John's coach Norm Roberts is focusing on is Abraham Lincoln senior center James Padgett

« Reply #178 on: September 25, 2008, 10:13:55 PM »
St. John's hoping to be Born again
Landing Lance Stephenson could revive fledgling program
By Adam Zagoria / SNY.tv

Lance Stephenson said he will focus on the upcoming high school season before making his college decision. (AP)
print this pageemail this page

The biggest star at the St. John's basketball Midnight Madness event Thursday wasn't Anthony Mason Jr., Justin Burrell or even head coach Norm Roberts.
No, the most honored guest at the 2008 Red Storm Tip-Off was a 6-foot-5, 200-pound senior guard from Lincoln High School on Coney Island who some think could transform the program simply by committing there.

Lance Stephenson, known by the moniker "Born Ready," also the title of an Internet documentary detailing his life story and available at BornReady.tv, attended the event with his parents, Lance Sr. and Bern.

Despite imminent rain, several hundred fans also joined the festivities, which included a free BBQ, speeches by Roberts and women's head coach Kim Barnes Arrico and scrimmages by both teams.

Stephenson, a tremendously strong and athletic top-10 recruit out of the same high school that produced Stephon Marbury and Sebastian Telfair, is considering St. John's, along with a few other schools. Kansas, USC, Texas and Memphis are also on his list.

He says he won't announce his choice until the spring signing period in April.

"Right now, I'm just worrying about basketball and at the end I'll do all that college stuff," Stephenson, ranked No. 4 among shooting guards in the Class of 2009, told me recently. "I'm going to do my high school season and after that I look forward to telling everybody what school I should go to."

More and more, though, it looks like he could well end up at St. John's, serving as the biggest recruit of a Roberts Era which has been marked by mediocrity as the program attempts to lift itself out of the probation triggered under Mike Jarvis.

"I think they're going to have a very good shot at him," said recruiting analyst Tom Konchalski, who is close to the Stephenson family.

Konchalski knows as well as anyone that Stephenson brings some baggage. His body language and attitude sometimes reflect negatively on teammates and coaches.

This summer he was cut from the USA U-18 National team despite being the most talented player at the tryouts. He was cut after repeated clashes with head coach Bob McKillop, the Davidson coach, yet both Lance and his father later said they were never told explicitly why he was let go, and that McKillop told Lance what a talented player he was.

Still, St. John's needs Lance Stephenson perhaps more than it has ever needed a recruit.

There was a time when St. John's was a national basketball powerhouse that would regularly draw the top players from all five boroughs.

In the early 1980s, Chris Mullin, Mark Jackson and Walter Berry led the Red Men (as they were then known) to the 1985 NCAA Final Four, one of three Big East teams that made the trip. Mullin won the Wooden Award in '85 and Berry captured it a year later.

Later, the late Malik Sealy dazzled crowds at Madison Square Garden and Carnesecca Arena.

Those days are long past, and St. John's, along with Rutgers and Seton Hall, have been relegated to the lower division of the now monstrous 16-team Big East -- with a long climb ahead of them.

Louisville coach Rick Pitino, Pittsburgh's Jamie Dixon and now West Virginia's Bob Huggins routinely come into New York City and pull away the Big Apple's top talent. With several trips a year back to New York and New Jersey for conference games, plus the promise of the Big East tournament every March at the Garden, every local kid knows he'll play near home no matter what school he attends.

Roberts, who signed a five-year extension in May after an 11-19 season, knows this better than anybody. And he knows he must start landing local talent.

The Red Storm have already secured a verbal commitment from Omari Lawrence, a 6-4 senior shooting guard from the Bronx now playing at South Kent, a prep school in Connecticut.

"I think you always want to get the highest quality player that you can get," Roberts told me this summer. "There are some locally that aren't too far away that of course you'd want to have them, and we'd love to add someone like that to our program.

"That could be the person that helps get you over the top."

Lance Stephenson is likely to only be on campus for a year before heading off to the riches of the NBA. Some NBA coaches and players have already pronounced him physically ready for the league.

Yet for that one year, he could help stir excitement around the program and draw fans to the Garden.

He plays some of his best ball there.

This spring he dropped 27 points at the Garden when Lincoln routed rival Boys & Girls, 88-57, to win its third straight public school title.

"I was so hyped before the game, I just wanted to get out there and destroy them, and get the game over with so my other teammates can see how the court feels," Stephenson said that night.

"I got chills. We all got chills," Lincoln coach Dwayne "Tiny" Morton told reporters. "It was the second coming to Sebastian. Too bad he can't go straight from high school [to the pros]."

No, he can't, although he has mentioned the possibility of playing overseas, following the trailblazing path set by onetime Arizona commit Brandon Jennings, who recently signed a three-year, multimillion dollar deal to play in Italy.

Some think Stephenson will take the money and run. Others find it hard to imagine a Coney Island kid going to Europe.

Which brings us back to St. John's. Kansas coach Bill Self and USC coach Tim Floyd recruited Stephenson this summer in Las Vegas, but Roberts is working hard. He recently had an in-home visit with the family.

The Red Storm fans know all about it and are agog with excitement at the chance of "Born Ready" playing for the Johnnies.

"As a St. John's fan and season ticket holder, I think his committing to St. John's is a huge win for both parties involved," Bob Gunther, a longtime St. John's fan, wrote in an email. "For Lance's benefit, Carnesecca Arena and Madison Square Garden will be packed to the rafters to see this top-rated phenomenon play... right in our backyard. And most likely televised on SNY!

"Since 'Born Ready' is projected to be a one-and-done by most, where better to showcase his talent than at St. John's, playing in the toughest conference, the Big East; playing in New York City at the World's Most Famous Arena. It doesn't get much better than that!

"New York, the media capital of the world. New York, home to the NBA Headquarters. Imagine the number of scouts and team executives who would be sitting at the Garden for every St. John's game watching and wishing."

Yes, imagine. It could happen sooner than you think. And it might turn out to be "Born Ready"'s best move.

Adam Zagoria is a regular contributor to SNY.tv. Read his blog at ZagsBlog.net.

sjd8886

« Reply #179 on: September 26, 2008, 12:07:16 PM »
:) make that mofo happen