mase and burrell

• 16 replies
mase and burrell
« on: January 18, 2010, 12:10:28 AM »
does anyone else think that burrell may play better with mase. burrells first year was his best which was mostly played with mase. i do remembr them having a good feel for eachother off of burrell rebounds and outlets and i also noticed today that mase does look to pass it to the block more than dj and paris. food for thought...
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Re: mase and burrell
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 12:19:12 AM »
It's an interesting thought. Mase is passing, or at least looking to pass more than I expected. As I said in the post game thread, I think he looked so much more relaxed today and his game is coming to him.

Time will tell if these two can quickly become the Dynamic Duo!

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 12:24:27 AM »
Where is that old batman and robin picture we had of them
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

xhoops

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 12:43:13 AM »
does anyone else think that burrell may play better with mase. burrells first year was his best which was mostly played with mase. i do remembr them having a good feel for eachother off of burrell rebounds and outlets and i also noticed today that mase does look to pass it to the block more than dj and paris. food for thought...
Good observation.......Mason is a bit better at that no question........of course  nobody else has been good at all with that. Stith missed him several times today running to the rim with a target hand(easy dunk) ball was thrown to corner 23 feet away from rim ??? Not  good basketball. Why does this happen ? anybody

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 12:59:51 AM »
Good observation.......Mason is a bit better at that no question........of course  nobody else has been good at all with that. Stith missed him several times today running to the rim with a target hand(easy dunk) ball was thrown to corner 23 feet away from rim ??? Not  good basketball. Why does this happen ? anybody

Omari threw it to Justin today and he dropped it...turnover...going the other way.  :-X

It's not always as one sided as you might think it to be. It's not the players but the offense and way everything is structured that Justin doesn't get the ball as much as we'd like. It's a perimeter/guard oriented offense where the big men pick and pop(yet they rarely pop).

Burrell has had some good looks lately and has been more aggressive in looking for his own shot which is a great thing even if he's slightly forcing the issue sometimes.

Today for instance he had one turn around J which didn't have enough to oomph behind but he made a quick decisive move. I'd like to see him get more and more comfortable taking that turn around jumper. I say it all the time but its so hard to defend that shot.

xhoops

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 03:55:04 AM »

Omari threw it to Justin today and he dropped it...turnover...going the other way.  :-X

It's not always as one sided as you might think it to be. It's not the players but the offense and way everything is structured that Justin doesn't get the ball as much as we'd like. It's a perimeter/guard oriented offense where the big men pick and pop(yet they rarely pop).

Burrell has had some good looks lately and has been more aggressive in looking for his own shot which is a great thing even if he's slightly forcing the issue sometimes.

Today for instance he had one turn around J which didn't have enough to oomph behind but he made a quick decisive move. I'd like to see him get more and more comfortable taking that turn around jumper. I say it all the time but its so hard to defend that shot.
That was a fallaway DAVE......not a fan of those. Jump shots yes-fallways no.Singler had one today too, they are almost always short, two vectors fighting each other. Burrell was not credited with a turnover today. Why would any front court player with talent wanna go to a program where they just want you to screen for smalls on the perimeter. I don't call that an offense.

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 01:10:30 PM »
I though, myself, during the game that Mase was looking more for Justin.  Let's hope it continues.  However, xhoops, the play you referenced as being bad basketball resulted in an open 3 for Hardy.  More importantly, however, although Justin had his had up asking for the ball, there was a defender right next to him.  While it might have resulted in a bucket, it might have also resulted in a turnover.  When the other option is an uncontested jumper by your teams best shooter, I don't think Stith made the wrong choice.

Poison

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 01:32:33 PM »
I see Mase passing over zone defenses with confidence. Horne either shoots the 3, or drives straight into who knows what?

The one thing we're all in agreement with is that our guards are not giving JB the ball. Mase has had a lot of time to take in the game from a great vantage point. I'm looking to him these next 14 games to bring Burrell, and everyone else together.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 01:45:52 PM by Poison »

xhoops

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 01:47:15 PM »
I though, myself, during the game that Mase was looking more for Justin.  Let's hope it continues.  However, xhoops, the play you referenced as being bad basketball resulted in an open 3 for Hardy.  More importantly, however, although Justin had his had up asking for the ball, there was a defender right next to him.  While it might have resulted in a bucket, it might have also resulted in a turnover.  When the other option is an uncontested jumper by your teams best shooter, I don't think Stith made the wrong choice.
Respectfully disagree. Watch it again.......He is open and  95% chance of points at the rim VS......Hardy (who was 0-5, other than that shot by the way in the game) 35-40% chance of points.  Dumb play

xhoops

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 01:50:46 PM »
I see Mase passing over zone defenses with confidence. Horne either shoots the 3, or drives straight into who knows what?

The one thing we're all in agreement with is that our guards are not giving JB the ball. Mase has had a lot of time to take in the game from a great vantage point. I'm looking to him these next 14 games to bring Burrell, and everyone else together.
Yes I agree....I think Mase gives this team huge boost

Marillac

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 01:59:12 PM »
Mase is 6'7 and long with a shot that must be respected.  He can get passes into Burrell where other players cannot. 

I wouldn't go crazy, because Depaul is effing awful and without Koshwal they had no decent big in there.

Justin needs 10-12 shots per game IMO.  That might sound like a lot, but he has a high % and shot attempts by him can stretch the defense.

Poison

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 02:55:12 PM »
Justin needs 10-12 shots per game IMO.  That might sound like a lot, but he has a high % and shot attempts by him can stretch the defense.

I agree that Justin needs more shots, and hopefully Sunday was an example of how he can play, and how he's going to play.

I know it was Depaul, and they are hella bad, but Justin has been passive against everyone we've played. Uconn will be a huge test for him and Mase. 

Marillac

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 02:58:26 PM »

I agree that Justin needs more shots, and hopefully Sunday was an example of how he can play, and how he's going to play.

I know it was Depaul, and they are hella bad, but Justin has been passive against everyone we've played. Uconn will be a huge test for him and Mase.

Somebody needs to get JB1 a highlight tape of Jeff Adrien.  That kid perfected the 10-15 foot jumper from the baseline and especially from the FT line extended.  It killed zone defenses.  There is no reason JB1 can't hit that shot consistently. 

xhoops

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 04:25:17 PM »

Somebody needs to get JB1 a highlight tape of Jeff Adrien.  That kid perfected the 10-15 foot jumper from the baseline and especially from the FT line extended.  It killed zone defenses.  There is no reason JB1 can't hit that shot consistently.
Exactly right. But he doesn't need a tape, all he needs is the ball. Heck his teammates and coaches  have seen Justin hit it live and on tape.

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 05:27:06 PM »
Justin had 11 points on 4 shots 3 for 4.

Heck I liked to see Dele get more touches down low.

Sean is a lunch box guy. Right now he has no back to the basket game.

Marillac

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2010, 07:31:37 PM »

I like Justin and Dele in there together.  Justin needs a true five to help him out and he and Dele actually pass to each other well.  Last I looked they were leading the team in shooting %. 

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2010, 10:19:32 PM »

I like Justin and Dele in there together.  Justin needs a true five to help him out and he and Dele actually pass to each other well.  Last I looked they were leading the team in shooting %.

Have you read my thoughts on the front court rotation? I posted it about a week ago or so...

http://johnnyjungle.com/2009-2010/front-court-frenzy/