What SJU needs to be Competitive ?

• 14 replies
What SJU needs to be Competitive ?
« on: March 13, 2010, 03:54:52 PM »
Simple Answer - Whatever the highest salary being paid to a coach in the Big East, SJU needs to match it.  You get what you pay for, and college athletics is "Big Business".  SJU needs to start treating their decisions as key business decisions now.. They've stabilized their program with the help of Norm Roberts and now its for someone else to take them to the next level. 

Spend money, set your sights at the highest level, Fr. Harrington.  Don't settle for anything less than expectations for being a top 25 program ever year and NCAA bound ever year.  We all know you have to set your sights high to achieve your goals. 

Get it done SJU administration.  It will be an investment that will pay off for the school and its reputation... 

Poison

Re: What SJU needs to be Competitive ?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 04:03:07 PM »
What SJU needs to succeed:

a new president followed by a new coach.

TONYD3

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 04:40:34 PM »
All we need is to get 1 BIG time player. After Artest came others followed. Jarvis was an good coach but we won because we had good players.

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 04:48:00 PM »
All we need is to get 1 BIG time player. After Artest came others followed. Jarvis was an good coach but we won because we had good players.

Maybe thats Ron Roberts

Tha Kid

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 05:12:25 PM »

Maybe thats Ron Roberts

and maybe it was Anthony Mason Jr.

and maybe it was Justin Burrell

but because Norm is coach - they weren't able to develop like they should have!

A new coach gives Justin a chance to do his thing for one year, and Ron a chance to be THE man.

Norm gives them no chance.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 05:29:22 PM »

Maybe thats Ron Roberts

A new coach gives Justin a chance to do his thing for one year, and Ron a chance to be THE man.

PMG said he saw the kid play and if I remember correctly he said the kid was the real deal. The new coach will have 10 scholarships to fill

Tha Kid

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 05:41:01 PM »

Maybe thats Ron Roberts

PMG said he saw the kid play and if I remember correctly he said the kid was the real deal. The new coach will have 10 scholarships to fill

First of all it's 9 --- Ron isn't gone yet, he very likely will stay,  and has signed a LOI so would need permission from st johns just to leave.

Second of all  - I trust any name mentioned filling those ships more than Norm.  Perhaps it is more impt. for someone to have NYC ties in order to fill that huge class but I'd still rather someone else doing it than NOrm.

There is NO good reason to let Norm coach the team next year.

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 05:45:56 PM »

Maybe thats Ron Roberts

First of all it's 9 --- Ron isn't gone yet, he very likely will stay,  and has signed a LOI so would need permission from st johns just to leave.

Second of all  - I trust any name mentioned filling those ships more than Norm.  Perhaps it is more impt. for someone to have NYC ties in order to fill that huge class but I'd still rather someone else doing it than NOrm.

Norm's first mistake was his asst coach hirings,and he took too long before bringing in Kimani Young and Cross. Next coach needs a local guru here,, and maybe a forner player who is recognizeable

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 06:12:20 PM »
Well a good coach helps.  Having some NYC AAU guys sitting next to him would help as well.  We need a way to get the players to come here

Tha Kid

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 06:24:59 PM »

Maybe thats Ron Roberts

Norm's first mistake was his asst coach hirings,and he took too long before bringing in Kimani Young and Cross. Next coach needs a local guru here,, and maybe a forner player who is recognizeable

Agree 100%. Who knows what might have been had Norm brought guys like that in off the bat.  Should have gotten NYC AAU guys + a great x and o guy.

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 06:29:43 PM »

Maybe thats Ron Roberts

Agree 100%. Who knows what might have been had Norm brought guys like that in off the bat.  Should have gotten NYC AAU guys + a great x and o guy.

I was reading somewhere(maybe bleacher report?) that the new hire would be helping himself by hiring Fred Hill to come in as an assistant

Poison

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 06:35:38 PM »
Roberts had a chance to bring in a number of local guys, but like so many of his decisions, he simply wasn't smart enough to realize that.

The incredible irony is that Norm was brought here to recruit, and he was without a doubt, the worst recruiter in BE history. 

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 06:38:15 PM »
Roberts had a chance to bring in a number of local guys, but like so many of his decisions, he simply wasn't smart enough to realize that.

The incredible irony is that Norm was brought here to recruit, and he was without a doubt, the worst recruiter in BE history.

Yet he still mananged to win 17 games,beat Uconn in the tourny and may make a run in the NIT. Go figure

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 04:07:27 AM »
You know I disagree about him being the worst recruiter.  By a long shot. Providence's recruiting classes were a bunch of "whos?"  DePaul under Wainwright, the Rutgers teams around Quincy Douby...

As for the financial outlay for coach, they need to NOT pay what the top coach in the Big East is being paid.  Those payments are for guys who have proven themselves with their current program (or Pitino who came in at a high salary).  Most of the guys who are worth top dollar, except for Donovan, are over the hill. So maybe they should hold some $ in reserve until a coach they hire is really winning big and they need to pay to keep him,

sjd8886

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 07:43:54 PM »
norms been garbage at recruiting...and more than that, i think the only reason we got the kids we did was that norm was busting his as s  for them when the bigger name coaches just didnt care enough to match his effort...and he gets in on some of them before they really blow up...i think if burrell waited to commit till the end of his last year in prep he would have went with someone else...and he screwed the pooch in so many other areas as well... transfers, injuries, and obviously, player development...keeping rob and mase healthy, getting kitchen here, keeping calhoun on the team, making some sort of use of the biggest body we got, coker, developing cavataio to the point where the kid could play a little d and pop some 3's for us, and must i mention ced blowing up at cleveland...norms done nothing right in 6 years