Brandon Tierney / Jon Rothstein interview (Regarding Pecora)

• 12 replies
Brandon Tierney / Jon Rothstein interview (Regarding Pecora)
« on: March 20, 2010, 03:47:30 PM »
On the espn radio from yesterday.

Interesting stuff regarding Pecora...Personally, I wanted no part of Pecora but after hearing this it made me feel a little better.  Still think we can shoot a lot higher though. 

Basically he thinks if you cant get a big time name like Donovan, he is by far the best candidate.  Says if anyone can band NY together it is him. 

On Donovan

-St. Johns wont have enough cash

Regarding Pecora

-"If you want to build a NY brand it has got to be Tom Pecora." 

-Says Pecora said it will take NY 3 years to get St. Johns back to where he thinks it can go and alot of NY coaches at the high school level will be willing to help him get there.

-Waiting for this opportunity like this his whole life and unlike Norm he'll throw fists and fight for recruits.

-Pecora has a deal on the table with Fordham for 700K a year but is waiting right now to see what happens at St. Johns 

Regarding Greenberg

-Until he sees a written contract he doesnt think it will be monitarily better for him to leave Va Tech

-Teirney asked three years from now who has the program in better shape b/t the two and he said b/c it's NY it's Tom Pecora.

http://stations.espn.go.com/stations/1050espnradio/archive?id=3377146

The 3/19 podcast...Interview with Rothstein starts at abt the 10 Min mark but the first 10 are his thoughts on the firing of Norm.  The final 10 minutes of the podcast after Charlie Manuel is Monasch. 

mkras99

Re: Brandon Tierney / Jon Rothstein interview (Regarding Pecora)
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 03:49:31 PM »
Rothstein is auditioning for a job as Pecora's PR man. It's ridiculous.

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 03:51:17 PM »
I thought that as well, they have to be good friends i guess.

TONYD3

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 03:53:43 PM »
I heard this yesterday to. I have no idea who Rothstrien is but he made Pecora sound like a great fit. I want a big name coach but I think it is important to have a NY guy.

mkras99

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 03:59:34 PM »
If Pecora is such a godsend, how come he can't win in the CAA.

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 04:09:42 PM »
It amazes me all the people in the local media that shill for Pecora even more so than they did for Norm.

It's almost like he ( Pecora ) has pictures of all them in some sort of Greek media orgy

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 06:04:16 PM »
i just don't see Jon Rothstein as a reliable source, the only time i have herd of his name is when he dose the 20/20 updates for espn radio, grant it, he was one of the first to report a few weeks ago taht norm was getting fired but your right it did seem like he was trying to be Pecora's PR man

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 10:30:30 PM »
Tom Pecora is a good guy and good coach.
If he has the $700K offer from Fordham and Hofstra will not match then he should take it
We need a BIG NAME

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 10:49:30 PM »
give tierney credit.  he takes care of his friends.

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 11:15:59 PM »
who cares what these clowns think..i am a no on tom...i dont care what some radio guys...just my gut feeling.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 11:16:56 PM by PEEKSKILLREDDEVIL »

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 02:52:38 PM »
If Pecora is this big NY guy then why isn't Hoftra a powerhouse in their conference? I personally think he's done a nice job there but that doesn't mean I want him to be our coach.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 02:59:47 PM »
Under normal circumstances getting a NY is important but making a splash with a big name is more important at this time imo. Someone to get St. John's name back on tv and back in the newspaper to create a buzz again. Let the recruits know that a big name coach is coming for them.

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 03:15:16 PM »
Rothstein is auditioning for a job as Pecora's PR man. It's ridiculous.
He's got a lot of competition.
Zagoria is busy campaigning for his buddy Grasso.

If Pecora is such a godsend, how come he can't win in the CAA.
That's the troublesome point for his local media buddies.
The bullet point that Pecora whines about every year is that he has to play his conference tournament in Virginia.

If he could ever get Hofstra to the NCAA Tournament, (as a low seed) he'd have to deal with hostile crowds, as the quality programs tend to have loyal fanbases that travel well--but somehow nobody ever asks him about that as a follow-up to his annual complaint.