Lavin ignoring NY for Cali? (espn insider)

• 30 replies
Lavin ignoring NY for Cali? (espn insider)
« on: April 28, 2010, 03:40:41 PM »
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/features/rumors

doesnt really say much.
Says polee is anouncing this weekend.
mentions berry and that wrobel might help on the west coast.
Their main point is that lavin will be judged on the talent he is able to keep home
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Re: Lavin ignoring NY for Cali? (espn insider)
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 03:50:19 PM »
Judged by whom?  I don't care where they come from.  I want good kids who win.

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 03:54:00 PM »
its not my opinion

"However, the fact remains that his reputation at St. John's will probably rest on his ability to keep local legends at home."
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 04:00:13 PM »
It's funny how you can read this and others will say that with Chiles, Hicks and Cross we're too worried about NY.  Sounds to me like Lavin is making sure he has the country marked from coast to coast.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 04:00:45 PM »
NY's been picked very clean this year already.  Hopefully Lavin will be able to get some impact guys from the area to stay home in 2011, but asking him to do that in 2010 is just silly. 

Hey, Seton Hall's ignoring NJ for Sweden + Turkey: http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/04/28/seton-hall-going-european/

Poison

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 04:18:54 PM »
I think there is a fine line between doing your best to keep local talent here, and kissing the asses of 18 year old punks like Edgar Sosa and Kemba Walker. If they want to go, let them. And then the goal will be to find kids who truly want to be in the spotlight. There are people all over the world who dream of coming to New York City.

If your dream is Louisville, so be it, you pathetic chit.

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 07:10:35 PM »
well said, poison.

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 07:54:02 PM »
Hear Hear (whatever that means)

Marillac

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 02:15:10 AM »
its not my opinion

"However, the fact remains that his reputation at St. John's will probably rest on his ability to keep local legends at home."

His reputation will be determined by wins and losses.

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 01:26:13 PM »
If you look at the talent level in NYC for 2011 and up it is pretty thin. No studs out there. May have to look out of state to recruit. Right now NJ is more of a hot bed for talent than NYC.

Poison

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 01:30:31 PM »
If you look at the talent level in NYC for 2011 and up it is pretty thin. No studs out there. May have to look out of state to recruit. Right now NJ is more of a hot bed for talent than NYC.

true that, and it really hasn't been great for years.
for all the hype, Stephenson, Scott and Parrom flat out underachieved.

Stephenson took his Bearcats to the same pointless tournament that we went to. Scott's Caines were garbage. As was Zona.

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 01:33:12 PM »

Stephenson took his Bearcats to the same pointless tournament that we went to. Scott's Caines were garbage. As was Zona.

What are you talking about? Scott is projected first rounder next year while Parrom had a fine freshman season when he was on the floor for a very young zona team.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 02:35:21 PM »
On Durand Scott, member of the ACC All-Rookie team: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/umiami/2010/03/canes-are-durand-scotts-team-now.html

Stephenson was only okay when he should have dominated.  I think it's because he made the flat-out wrong choice of schools.  Cronin's team was the wrong match for him - not enough shots to go around, not enough structure.

From the year before, Kemba Walker was good (if not good enough to overcome his team's glaring lack of depth and heart).  NYC talent hasn't been the best, but there are a few studs that come out every year. 

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 11:12:06 PM »
Thank God there are some people on this blog who know basketball. Kudos to you Dave. Durant Scott had an excellent year. He killed Duke on a nationally televised game. Another example of an excellent player who's coach saw his talent and made him play the point because his team had a need and he rocked. Parrom was projected to be 7th off the bench and ended up being a starter on a very young team that if not for violations would contend for the PAC 10 crown.I have to question if some of you guys are maybe looking at the cheerleaders instead of the games. Stephenson I agree was average.

Poison

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 11:17:15 PM »
If Scott was so good, why didn't Miami make the cbi?
They had a helluva lot more talent than we did.

Miami could have sucked ass without him. Big deal.
No different than sylven leasing UVA to
absolutely nothing.

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2010, 12:03:33 AM »
Thank God there are some people on this blog who know basketball. Kudos to you Dave. Durant Scott had an excellent year. He killed Duke on a nationally televised game. Another example of an excellent player who's coach saw his talent and made him play the point because his team had a need and he rocked. Parrom was projected to be 7th off the bench and ended up being a starter on a very young team that if not for violations would contend for the PAC 10 crown.I have to question if some of you guys are maybe looking at the cheerleaders instead of the games. Stephenson I agree was average.
"Parrom was projected to be 7th off the bench and ended up being a starter on a very young team that if not for violations would contend for the PAC 10 crown."
They could've won the Pac-10 crown. You are confusing them with USC. As it is, the Pac-10 was the weakest its been, perhaps, in its history.

"Durant Scott had an excellent year. He killed Duke on a nationally televised game. Another example of an excellent player who's coach saw his talent and made him play the point because his team had a need and he rocked."
Yeah, the 27% 3pt shooter averaged ten points per game on the worst team in the ACC. Congrats.

I'd be happy with either, but, in a city of roughly eight million, which produces remarkably few pro athletes of any kind for its size, if you think Parrom and Scott's freshmen seasons were special, the standards have really slipped this decade.

Poison

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2010, 07:50:24 AM »
You want a special freshman season?

Dwayne Wade. Carmelo Anthony. Kevin Durant.

Durand Scott had a dozen moral victories. Who cares?

Foad

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2010, 09:05:28 AM »
Yeah, the 27% 3pt shooter averaged ten points per game on the worst team in the ACC. Congrats.

He averaged 10 points, 4 rebounds, and 3 assists over the course of the year. Over his last 10 games he averaged 15 points, 6 rebounds, and 3 assists. By way of contrast, 15/6/3 is nearly exactly what DJ Kennedy averaged. And we all fall all over ourselves over Kennedy, a junior on nearly the worst team in the BE.

I'd be happy with either, but, in a city of roughly eight million, which produces remarkably few pro athletes of any kind for its size, if you think Parrom and Scott's freshmen seasons were special, the standards have really slipped this decade.

Standards may have slipped. But OTOH, if you compare everyone's freshman year to Carmelo's, everybody is going to come up short. For example, Ron Artest, who averaged 11/6/2 as a frosh, just about what Scott did. He comes up short. Mullin averaged 15/3/3, slightly better, but still short. If you're sneering at numbers like these it might not be the numbers, it might be that you have unrealistic expectations.

Poison

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2010, 09:24:48 AM »
Numbers lie. Lopez put up over 17 a game as a freshman,
but he was nowhere near as good as Adrian Griffin on Seton Hall.

pmg911

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2010, 09:43:35 AM »

What are you talking about? Scott is projected first rounder next year while Parrom had a fine freshman season when he was on the floor for a very young zona team.

Some people are VERY bitter. .  or just ignorant.