Jevon Thomas - PG - OSNA - Rosedale, NY - KANSAS STATE

• 378 replies

kob24

Jevon Thomas - PG - OSNA - Rosedale, NY - KANSAS STATE
« on: May 19, 2010, 09:33:27 PM »
dave make a profile for him. and all the alumni on here get ur money together in a briefcase and have it ready. im hearing this is the one
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 08:17:04 PM by jumpinjohnny »

mkras99

Re: Jevon Thomas - PG - OSNA - Rosedale, NY
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 09:40:32 PM »
How good is Jevon?

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 10:19:02 PM »
I think there was an article on him in the Daily News or Post a few months ago. Plays on Long Island now or something like that. I think the article said there were some really big programs looking at him. Maybe Cal I forget

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 10:24:21 PM »
I will have 2012 page up on the site next week. New forum could be up in less than 24 hours. :)
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 10:28:34 PM »
Found the article. Was the post

Jevon Thomas gave it a shot.
He spent a year at Thomas Edison, hoping to make it big as a New York City basketball star. Because of academic problems, disciplinary issues, and other distractions, he played sparingly for the Inventors.
Thomas already knew what he had to do before his freshman year ended.
“I had to get out,” said the 6-foot pass-first point guard with a scorer’s streak. “It just wasn’t for me.”
Our Savior New American, a private Christian school in Centereach, L.I., however is -- so far at least.
Thomas is the starting point guard and the face of the program, assistant coach Eric Jaklitsch said. He is living with a host family, the Fords, near the school’s campus, and working out with renowned trainer Jerry Powell. He has earned a 75 average at Our Savior, far higher than what he produced at Edison.

“I’m basically here for school and basketball,” he said. “I go from home to school and basketball instead of hanging out with my friends.”
He has also become religious, frequently attending church and taking Bible classes. That was one of the reasons he chose Our Savior over other prep schools.
“I wanted to change my whole life around,” he said.
Thomas cut out the distractions in his life. He rises every morning at 7 a.m. for school, then from 3 p.m. until 8 p.m. it’s all about basketball before he returns home to catch up on his heavy work load. There is no chance to get into trouble – there is nothing around Our Savior and his new home.
“I’m way more focused,” Thomas said. “Now I have to do things on my own, I can’t count on my family doing it for me. It’s getting me ready for college.”
Longtime mentor Shawn Simms has seen a different Thomas. The kid who liked to isolate himself with only his closest friends has opened up, willing to try new foods, meeting people and exploring wide-ranging interests.
“He’s more a people person,” Simms said. “It’s a credit to him being there – he’s out of his element.”
He was all set to attend Our Savior as a freshman, but opted for Edison instead. Jaklitsch can see Thomas maturing, understanding what it takes to become a big-time player. When others were staying warm during the blizzard that hit the Tri-State area recently, Thomas was working out with Powell outdoors, pushing his limits.
At Our Savior, Thomas runs a fast-paced, get-it-and-go attack rather than the halfcourt sets Edison ran.
“The kid has unlimited potential,” Jaklitsch said. “He understands more about working hard. He’s in a unique situation because he’s a freshman leading other people. He’s the future of the program and other good players want to play with him. He plays like a senior.”
Thomas is still a ways away from making a college decision, although, according to Jaklitsch, many programs have expressed interest. The list – featuring Kentucky, Washington, Syracuse, Memphis, Virginia, West Virginia and Arizona – is a who’s who of top Division I programs.
Already, because of Our Savior’s busy travel schedule, Thomas has played in front of John Calipari and coaches from West Virginia, Syracuse and Virginia. He’s also faced top-ranked point guards Dion Waiters of Life Center Academy (N.J.) and Cory Joseph of Findlay Prep (Nev.).
“At Edison I wasn’t going up against great competition,” Thomas said. “Here, I play against the best.”
It was what he envisioned when he left his Rosedale, Queens home for Long Island. A change was needed. Thomas likes the results he’s seen so far.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/high_school/basketball/for_jevon_thomas_new_life_metamorphosis_1QZb5DGjgf4eiORtISfYBL#ixzz0oQtSaAv4

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 10:31:17 PM »
This cat is from Rosedale too?  WORD.  Represent.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 10:32:53 PM by jumpinjohnny »
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

kob24

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 11:49:41 PM »
he is class of 2013 and alot i mean alot of the gurus consider him the best guard regardless of class. we shall see

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 08:56:16 AM »
he is class of 2013 and alot i mean alot of the gurus consider him the best guard regardless of class. we shall see
Is he a gaucho ?

Moose

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 09:03:06 AM »
Is he a gaucho ?

I saw that he was.
Remember who broke the Slice news

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 10:35:59 AM »
"South Jamaica?"  I thought he was from Rosedale (though sometimes Rosedale/ Laurelton/ etc are lumped into "South Jamaica").  Someone clear this up for me.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/high_school/basketball/final_destination_thomas_says_st_nzB77rnNHVyanO94qj32zO

More than the opportunity to play with better talent, get further away from his dangerous South Jamaica neighborhood and play a national schedule full of high-level tournaments, Thomas was drawn to the school by Roshown McLeod, the new coach. McLeod, a former standout at New Jersey powerhouse St. Anthony, played college basketball at St. John’s and Duke, was the 20th pick in the 1998 NBA Draft and played four seasons in the league.

“He understands me because he’s been there before,” Thomas said of McLeod, who has served as an assistant coach at Indiana and Fairfield. “He knows the game because he played at a high level.”

Although Thomas has already bounced around, colleges and scouting services are enamored with the slick, pass-first Thomas. He has received significant interest from Syracuse, Villanova, Xavier, St. John’s, Wake Forest, West Virginia, and Washington. Scout.com ranks Thomas as the 15th-best point guard in the Class of 2012. McLeod, for one, is ecstatic to have Thomas in the fold, a player, he said, that makes a difference,

“He’ll make us a better team,” the coach said. “He’s a floor general. He’s a kid that makes others better on the floor and that’s what stood out to me.”

Re: Jevon Thomas - PG - St. Benedict's - Rosedale, NY
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 09:35:15 PM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/07/09/jevon-thomas-to-st-benedicts/

This summer he will play with the New York Gauchos U16 squad and excited to see his recruitment take off.

Although his coach keeps tabs of most of his recruiting info. Jevon has looks from “Washington, St. John’s, Villanova, Syracuse, Wake Forest and West Virginia,” among others.

gonzalo

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 02:46:50 PM »
St. John´s staff intrigued with Jevon Thomas according to Dick Weiss.

http://twitter.com/NYDNDickWeiss

[tweet]http://twitter.com/NYDNDickWeiss/status/18605438891[/tweet]
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 03:06:06 PM by jumpinjohnny »

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 03:07:16 PM »
there's that "intrigued" word again

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 06:56:08 PM »
Kob was on this kid early, good job outta you! About time you brought something to the table!  ;)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 06:56:52 PM by Marco Baldi »

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2010, 02:20:13 PM »
Jevon Thomas is the best New York City point guard right now. The 6-foot Jamaica, Queens native, who is headed to St. Benedict’s Prep in New Jersey, already has offers from St. John’s and Villanova, but there will be plenty more on the way, several coaches told me. The prototypical point is a one-man fast break, but he has expanded his game offensively and can get wherever he wants on the floor. It’s a shame Thomas will be taking that breathtaking ability to New Jersey. He’s one reason the Gauchos backcourt – with Omar Calhoun at the two – may be one of the best in the country next year.

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/zach_braziller/look_back_at_the_aau_super_showcase_F0QJbMpAmdLv3KQhw2aouO

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2010, 11:00:19 AM »
Since Edison is across the street from St. John's, this kid might not want to return to the same neighborhood that he just got away from.  Hopefully, a few years of emotional growth will help him.

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2010, 03:29:46 PM »
Let's bring Thomas AND Calhoun  ;)

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2010, 07:40:33 PM »
Per Zach Braziller's Twitter....

Thomas is '12 RT @NYPost_Brazille: Forgot to tweet this: Jevon Thomas '11 took an unofficial to St. John's on Friday.
12 minutes ago via UberTwitter

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2010, 03:56:42 PM »
Per NBE Basketball (premium content)....  Jevon Thomas returning to OSNA and updates his recruiting following visit to SJU and more in today's Basketball...

[tweet]http://twitter.com/NBESports/status/21425531407[/tweet]